Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ETR meh.

Default ETR meh.

Am I the only one who's looking at the new ETR system and what turbine came up with and saying I don't want to play that game.

I want to build the toon I want to play, I don't want to run in an off destiny and I want to play at cap where I can play with all the abilities I've picked up. But whats the point in that with nothing to chase.

I like the rewards from ETR 9% double strike is worth ~20 mill exp and I think the 27 PRR is worth the 60 it would cost. The worth is there if I could chase that on a the build I want to play I would be happy for at least a years. My issue isn't the prizes I like them. Its how you get them that just doesn't seem fun

Maybe Its just me and this game is not for me any more...

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Am I the only one who's looking at the new ETR system and what turbine came up with and saying I don't want to play that game.

I want to build the toon I want to play, I don't want to run in an off destiny and I want to play at cap where I can play with all the abilities I've picked up. But whats the point in that with nothing to chase.

I like the rewards from ETR 9% double strike is worth ~20 mill exp and I think the 27 PRR is worth the 60 it would cost. The worth is there if I could chase that on a the build I want to play I would be happy for at least a years. My issue isn't the prizes I like them. Its how you get them that just doesn't seem fun

Maybe Its just me and this game is not for me any more...
    You mean, in order to earn a Divine sphere past epic life, I have to run in the Divine Sphere? That doesn't sound fun at all. That's like telling me that in order to get that Paladin past life, I have to play as a paladin....I don't think I like this!!!

Sarcasm off now...what the heck do you propose they do? Give you something easy? Give you something for nothing?
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Yeah, I was hoping that the "Karma" would be gained as a character, not locked into a specific destiny circle. It's better than their original plan for sure, but being forced to (once again) run in destinies that aren't suited for my character, just for the purpose of xp grinding isn't exactly what you'd consider "fun".

If Turbine really wants to sell these, they should take out the ED circle requirement and let us gain Karma as a character; allowing us to play in a destiny that is actually "fun" for us. Turbine, you would be surprised how many more you'd sell and how many people would do this if players didn't feel like they're being restricted the entire time.
    Leader of The Madborn, Thelanis
    Searros, Kangaros, Xearos, Fearos, Tearos, Zenros, Rocknros, Rargasauros, Whilyros, Frostyros, Rosificer, Levonestral, Clankros, Stabbyros

The biggest issue is there's nothing really to build for. There is no REASON to do this other than for the hell or it.

Every challenge in the game can be beaten without any of the ETR benefits. The grind to get them is insane and annoying.

What exactly is the point of this system?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Sarcasm off now...what the heck do you propose they do? Give you something easy? Give you something for nothing?
    put shears back in the story so I can Pay2Win past this silliness.

Its very meh...3 TR's for 6% double strike....uhhhh.... mmmmm... MEH!
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    The biggest issue is there's nothing really to build for. There is no REASON to do this other than for the hell or it.

Every challenge in the game can be beaten without any of the ETR benefits. The grind to get them is insane and annoying.

Bragging rights? I mean even completionist has no reason anymore because against the EDs and the lack of anything wowza to NEED the benefits for, it's all useless time sink. UNFUN TIME SINK, with unfun being the actual issue.

You mean, in order to earn a Divine sphere past epic life, I have to run in the Divine Sphere? That doesn't sound fun at all. That's like telling me that in order to get that Paladin past life, I have to play as a paladin....I don't think I like this!!!

The trouble is that as much as I hate certain classes like barbarian (for example), I find it more fun to play a barbarian life than run an ED that's completely not for my character. Like running rogue destiny on my sorcerer, just LOL.
    If their intention is to force you to either have that horrible experience or actually proper TR and do a different sphere every life... That'd be a better experience but honestly they kind of ruined the drive to TR in anyone other than those that simply enjoy TR-ing as a whole (or those who just have to be completionist and have the best even if the best is just +1 and not needed in any content whatsoever).

The whole running non-class EDs to reach any goal is annoying to begin with. And I hear shears are out of the DDO store?
    Turbine, why do you hate my FvS so much? I was going to use that to bypass some seriously useless ED grind to get where I want (to hell with twists, I don't care, just let me have the ED I want).

ETR sounds MEH to me too. Definitely nothing to bring me back to playing daily anymore.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

In the 20 cap days I didn't ever TR my main because I could log in for a night run raids for hours the gear I had made me a far more valuable to the group then guy with competitionist and no gear. But regardless of that I had something to do on the toon I wanted to play. That option doesn't exist any more.

Something to do on the build I want to play. Not easy make it hard, harder then EE for all I care I'll rise to the challenge, but something to do at cap that's wroth doing.

Where did I ask for a hand out? 20 million exp is not something for nothing I'll pay 20 million, I'll pay 60 million even 100 million but let me run on the toon I built, in the build I want to play.

That's really not much to ask for.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

If they add challenging content requiring PLs, noobs, casuals and altoholics will cry louder than fanbois and paladins about twists at lvl1.

Give us content, rather than a hamster wheel.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

In the 20 cap days I didn't ever TR my main because I could log in for a night run raids for hours the gear I had made me a far more valuable to the group then guy with competitionist and no gear. But regardless of that I had something to do on the toon I wanted to play. That option doesn't exist any more.

This is the problem, I was at 20 cap for year or two, was doing nothing but raids and epic quests, it wasnt boring, it was fun because you could actually fail, now gear is not so much of a big deal, if you have all eds you are good without any good gear.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    Bragging rights? I mean even completionist has no reason anymore because against the EDs and the lack of anything wowza to NEED the benefits for, it's all useless time sink. UNFUN TIME SINK, with unfun being the actual issue.
    Your idea of unfun probably isn't the same as mine.

The Epic TR and Iconic TR system is there as an optional objective for those that want to do it. It's just like the Completionist option, or gaining past lives, or maxing out all your destinies.

I enjoy playing my main character. I'm 10 points away from maximum renown. 4 of that is undoable because the Orthon Lieutenant objective in the Short Cuts challenges doesn't update. The new TR system gives me further reason to continue playing him.

Just like Completionist, if you don't think the time is worth it or you don't enjoy spending the time then do something else instead.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Give us content, rather than a hamster wheel.
    Isn't that the either/or fallacy?

Give us content and new classes and bug fixes as well as additional options to continue playing characters we want to play.

I'm surprised you posted this. I thought you usually argued against linear thinking.

Community Member

You're not alone. I don't think most players look at more grind and say, "I must have that!".

On the other hand, heroic TRing is untouched (at least for the time being) and maybe there's some appeal for folks who are sitting at cap with nothing else left to do. It is entirely optional anyway.

Just like the Current True Reincarnation system I'm going to dabble with the Epic TR. I've no real goal to do any max ETR in any sphere. There isn't really a need for it.

Not saying that I won't run my characters through the system, it just won't be my focus.

put shears back in the story so I can Pay2Win past this silliness.
    Kind of answered your own question. Only the semantics may not be the same. Instead of shears, they put an epic Xp box that allows you to gain 2m Xp on the spot.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Not saying that I won't run my characters through the system, it just won't be my focus.
    Then what are you focused on? I can't see much else to do worth doing.

Hero

How about give me something fun? All of your sarcasm aside, there's nothing fun about running in off destinies. And what this game need again isn't more grind or "gain from pain" it's something fun to do. Plus as it is, there's no light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. End game is non-existent. There's really no need for me to make any of my characters stronger by ER'ing since I have no desire to run anything at level cap anymore (and thus take advantage of the EPL's). Now that's just me.

But I do think the metaphors of "play a pally to get a pally PL" are not quite accurate. When you heroic TR you get to advance as a Pally as the content gets harder, you have pally enhancements, spell, abilities. Running in off destinies does not provide anything near the same experience as a heroic TR. Now if they gave you an option of redoing a character similar to heroic TR at 20 after a ER, I think this would be a fantastic system. Off destines is a fatal flaw for many people.

Many of the recent exploits have given people a way to manufacture artificial fun. Just look around the net, you'll see many people saying it was the most fun they had in the game in a long time. And that's why they are so popular.

So...you believe it's Turbine's job to build character in its player base? You somehow think Turbine is an educational utility now and not a designer of fantasy MMOs that are supposed to be entertaining by creating suspension of disbelief?

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    So...you believe it's Turbine's job to build character in its player base? You somehow think Turbine is an educational utility now and not a designer of fantasy MMOs that are supposed to be entertaining by creating suspension of disbelief?
    Mock this comparsion as long as you like, but I demand paladin past life without having to run this failed class.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast