Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    intellectual capacities
    While it is indeed possible in general, it's not true in reality (or at least not proven). Part of it is definitely politics, as quite possibly every other subject in the natural sciences has conflicting reports for even those subjects that are far more rigorous. But probably more important is that other factors tend to play a much larger role in measuring intelligence compared to genetics (upbringing, cultural bias), so the magnitude of the confounding factors creates a large error model. When the noise ratio is so high, statistics generally doesn't say much about the issue, because the signal is too hard to tease out. But at the end of the day, it is known that if there is genetic predisposition towards intelligence based on race, it is a very small effect, which, philosophically raises the question whether there is a difference between very small and non-existent. And is it even worth studying further when the issue is so divisive?

Quote Originally Posted by Kir1 View Post
    ... is like saying - for example - that Afroafricans have more Str and less Int then for example people of Jewish origin.
    What is an Afroafrican? I've heard of Africans but they consist of Negroids and Caucasians.
    You're mixing religion into it as well with your snare to Jews.

I'm confused as to what it has to do with a game that's a spin-off of Kriegsspiel (and if you take it even further Chess).

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

From Wiki: "A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring".
    The definition is False.

As proof :

Donkey and horse can mate and breed... and get offsprings. Both are from a different species though.

Same goes with Lions and Tigers.... once again different species.

Last DDO is set in Fantasy Worlds, everything is allowed.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    The definition is False.

As proof :

Donkey and horse can mate and breed... and get offsprings. Both are from a different species though.

Yeah but the offspring of those unions, aren't they sterile?

Anyway OP take a chill pill, its a game for christsakes!!!

Community Member

The definition is False.

As proof :

which are both infertile...

Quote Originally Posted by Algreg View Post
    which are both infertile...
    Fertility

The fertility of hybrid big cat females is well documented across a number of different hybrids. This is in accordance with Haldane's rule: in hybrids of animals whose sex is determined by sex chromosomes, if one sex is absent, rare or sterile, it is the heterogametic sex (the one with two different sex chromosomes e.g. X and Y).

According to Wild Cats of the World (1975) by C. A. W. Guggisberg, ligers and tigons were long thought to be sterile: in 1943, a fifteen-year-old hybrid between a lion and an 'Island' tiger was successfully mated with a lion at the Munich Hellabrunn Zoo. The female cub, though of delicate health, was raised to adulthood.[14]

In September 2012, the Russian Novosibirsk Zoo announced the birth of a "liliger", which is the offspring of a liger mother and a lion father. The cub was named Kiara.[15]

Kiara 3/4 lion, 1/4 tiger.

http://www.denverpost.com/haley/ci_6464853.html

Mule's foal fools genetics with "impossible" birth
    It's an event so rare that the Romans had a saying, "when a mule foals" — the equivalent of "when hell freezes over."

Collbran rancher Larry Amos watches as the mule foal nuzzles its mother, Kate, a 7-year-old "molly" that gave birth three months ago to the still-unnamed "miracle" offspring. Genetic tests confirmed that the foal is Kate's. (Ed Kosmicki, Special to The Denver Post)
    Related

COLLBRAN — When it reportedly happened in Morocco five years ago, locals feared it signaled the end of the world. In Albania in 1994, it was thought to have unleashed the spawn of the devil on a small village.

But on a Grand Mesa ranch, the once-in-a-million, genetically "impossible" occurrence of a mule giving birth has only drawn keen interest from the scientific world. That, and a stream of the locally curious driving up from the small town of Collbran to check out and snap pictures of a frisky, huge-eared, gangly-legged foal.

The Amoses, who have about 100 horses and mules at their Winterhawk Outfitters business, knew that what they were seeing is considered scientifically impossible - as much so today as in ancient Greece. They began doing research and found that in the past two centuries about 50 cases of mules giving birth have been recorded.

Community Member

Oh one of those again.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenich View Post
    Fine, defend your disagreement.

Genetic traits and trends do exist.
    Racism and acknowledgement of possible genetic traits are two different things. Granted, there may occasionally be some overlap, but not nearly as much as has been claimed.

Racism as in racial discrimination is morally wrong because it imposes arbitrary artificial limits on certain people, without regard to what their individual actual capabilities may be, and has been shown to easily lead to worse things such as outright denial of even more basic rights (see also, slavery). Same thing as discrimination based on gender or whatever.

Acknowledging genetic traits means that just that - that a certain subset of the population may be more likely to have whatever it is, and therefore focused searching within that subset is more likely to yield results. (Positive or negative, no difference in this regard - my family ended up tested in some medical research projects for a possible genetic-disposition condition... and there's another one or two possibles still around... and I believe my race in the old discrimination-era American system would be "other" anyway, BTW.)

Well, then, the other thing... applying real-world moral and legal concepts of democracy and equality (racial or whatever) to a more-or-less medieval-society fantasy game where the main location's regime is explicitly stated to be a feudal oligarchy (the Coin Lords are not a particularly nice bunch - old pirate and smuggler families all, see in particular the covert activities of the Sel Shadra family) that's under probable threat of war with a neighbor where certain of these races are more prevalent... well, good luck with that. (Actually, gender equality they do seem to mostly have.)

Want to play a paladin of the concept of racial equality?
    Last edited by mna; 11-20-2013 at 04:33 AM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member

Someone send me pictures of national football team in EU (you cant make this up, its official) ... ... indeed for example some races in RL *may* have different bonus to starting statistics.
    Oh, that again.

You may be interested in knowing that members of certain families are unlikely to be able to qualify for any organized sports teams, due to medical reasons - genetic disposition to something that'll disqualify you in a doping test while untreated, and treating it will also disqualify you. And yes, at least one such condition that I know of would indeed come with a bit of an advantage in something, but...

I'm still not sure why that's apparently not considered discrimination, anyway.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

The definition is False.

As proof :

The keyword is "often." The truth every systematicist knows is that there is no one set definition, because there is no one definition that always works. Speciation generally occurs to improve fitness within a population given a population's particular niche. Sometimes it doesn't though, sometimes the process is incomplete and sometimes you have other weird cases like ring species that span thousands of miles geographically.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    When the noise ratio is so high, statistics generally doesn't say much about the issue, because the signal is too hard to tease out. But at the end of the day, it is known that if there is genetic predisposition towards intelligence based on race, it is a very small effect, which,
    And from a pragmaticist standpoint - it's statistics, there's a bell curve with plenty of noise, AND any of those "noise" bits that is not a pure measuring error is a data point, some of which ARE outliers. You want to catch the outliers off one end anyway if you're looking for high-end intelligences, so it makes no sense at all to outright cut off a part of the base population.

Community Member

That what i was talking about:
    so we are serving (doing missions for) corrupt and racist regime composed of ex-criminals, warring country with society who allows more equality to minorities (so called "monster races").
    Yes. And I love it.

That said, I am not REALLY rasist - I love to kill all races equally. I care more about numbers then races - more is better.

Then again, I have to admitt... I do think that elves are garbage. So I am a little racist.

Then again, who doest hate elven garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    Yes. And I love it.

That said, I am not REALLY rasist - I love to kill all races equally. I care more about numbers then races - more is better.

Then again, I have to admitt... I do think that elves are garbage. So I am a little racist.

Then again, who doest hate elven garbage?
    personally i love killing elves, halflings and kobolds............so I guess im racist? Even if im playing an elf myself.............

Community Member

so we are serving (doing missions for) corrupt and racist regime composed of ex-criminals, warring country with society who allows more equality to minorities (so called "monster races").
    Then again you may want to look more into what's going on in Droaam... it's not a nice place either, calling it "society" may be stretching it... ruled mainly via force and fear, a despotic feudalism with a triumvirate of hags (as in, one each of three kinds of hags; individually, two neutral evil and one lawful neutral) at the top.

I cant even express in words how much i disagree with this.
    Some races have different skin tones than others. That is a physical attribute. Pretending all races are 100% identical is foolish and racist in itself. This topic is dumb and should probably be locked.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Then again you may want to look more into what's going on in Droaam... it's not a nice place either, calling it "society" may be stretching it... ruled mainly via force and fear, a despotic feudalism with a triumvirate of hags (as in, one each of three kinds of hags; individually, two neutral evil and one lawful neutral) at the top.
    Yes, I adore them. Crushing the weak, stadning for their own values and... torturing elven scum. Love it.

Community Member

Default A new theory of human origins

There's this theory that says humans might be a hybrid of chimpanzees and... pigs!

I'll just throw the link here... http://www.macroevolution.net/human-...l#.Uoy6u9JIY8k
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Kir1, if you want to know who is reporting each and every one of your posts, it is me.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Is it troubling for you?
    Seeing the threads you start it's clear that you are indeed one troubled motha****er!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast