Thread: Sorc or Wizard?

Community Member

Default Sorc or Wizard?

So with the coming ability to TR into iconics, I am contemplating TRing my wizard into a bladeforged Iconic. I think playing a melee caster would be a lot more fun, and I've seen a few people running around on 18 Sorcerer/2 Wizard bladeforgeds.

Assuming I have to have at least 1 paladin level, which is better?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    Assuming I have to have at least 1 paladin level, which is better?
    If you can't possibly get rid of the paladin level, go 18 Sorcerer/2 Paladin for Charisma-based casting with +Charisma to saves.

Community Member

So throw a lot of points into charisma and strength and then split the rest on everything else?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    So throw a lot of points into charisma and strength and then split the rest on everything else?
    Assuming you want to o meele AND caster-like on Bladeforged (dunno why, prolly flavour), sor is totally better choice then wizard cause he is char based,

I suggest very high charisma (if you want to cast, then maxx it, if you want to meele, then just high), very hih strenght (exactly like harisma, just the other way around) and high constitution. Dex, Wis and int are kinda useless to you (aside from skill points)

Community Member

Personally, I'd be more inclined to go with a Wizard base for an Eldritch Knight type, because the extra feats would help to support more rounded development of both the fighting and the magical abilities of the character. Additionally, you'd then have access to Archmage, which offers some potentially neat options like Displacement or Chain Missiles SLAs, and has more support for the EK's force-based abilities than the Sorcerer savant trees. However, this sort of set up probably makes more sense as a Warforged than as a Bladeforged (Dexterity being more helpful than Charisma, and less healing penalty being more helpful than better racial enhancements) and if I were going to multiclass, I'd go for Fighter as the martial component rather than Paladin.

If I were going to make a Bladeforged Eldritch Knight instead, then I'd go for a Paladin / Sorcerer split... probably 2/18, but I haven't played around enough with EK to say for sure... and there are some unique merits to doing this. You've got the higher saves for a start; you've got the potential to boost your Strength significantly with Divine Might from Knight of the Chalice; you've got the sorc's higher base SP, and you've got a reasonable choice between taking some of the shield-based stuff from Sacred Defender to synergise with the EK's shield-based stuff, or ignoring the shield route altogether and wailing on things with a Lord of Blades approved Greatsword - something to consider given that this split doesn't really have enough feats to do sword and board to its full extent. Less need for investment in class trees compared to the Fighter / Wizard makes heavier spending in your stronger racial tree more attractive, and Power of the Forge would be all kinds of awesome for a build like this.

If it were me and I went with the Bladeforged thing, I suspect I'd succumb to the allure of the Greatsword even though (heh, or maybe because) it's kicking against the pricks a little bit with the new Eldritch Knight tree. Lots of Strength, lots of Charisma, Divine Might, glancing blows, and force explosions.

Edit: deleted due to complete nonsenseness of my post.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 11-08-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Community Member

18 Sorc/2 Pal

PA/Cleave/GC/IC:Slash, Max/Emp/Quicken

STR, CON, CHA

Earth Savant, load up on no-save DOTs

Its about as simple and boilerplate as you can get...plus, Sorc has better SLAs than Wiz anyway. Spamming fully metaed Acid Blast plus Cleaves and GCs will carve Heroic up, at least.

Community Member

at U20, all iconics can +1 LR and can change their 1st class to other. that means 20 sorc bladeforged is available.
    btw, You can be 20 fvs serving Amaunator, and you can get sunbolt as SLA.
    Ghallanda Server
    Dragant, Spellaser, Arrcous
    Officer of DDO Korea Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    18 Sorc/2 Pal

PA/Cleave/GC/IC:Slash, Max/Emp/Quicken

STR, CON, CHA

Earth Savant, load up on no-save DOTs

Its about as simple and boilerplate as you can get...plus, Sorc has better SLAs than Wiz anyway. Spamming fully metaed Acid Blast plus Cleaves and GCs will carve Heroic up, at least.
    This is pretty much my planned sorc, Debating fire or earth savant, currently both and the fire DOT is nice. I prepped it already for U20 on the feats and even without EK its reasonable, not uber. I'd add a note on liberal use of cloudkills. I'm also wondering if picking up adamantine is worth it, probably not but it looks like it'd actually be an option. I'd say another ground of consideration is that sorc gets the faster cast time which would be helpful when in the thick of it as that competes for melee time. Wizard on the other hand doesn't have the same spell slot issues you get into at level 6 and above for sorcs.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.