Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I didn't post this to argue. I posted it to echo the concerns of people other than me, who have talked candidly to me about their issues with the current state of DDO. I agree with the people who say that 2 out of 3 of the Devs in the conversation appear to genuinely care about the game, but caring about the game and caring about the community are actually different things.

If I may hypothesize: I assume that the forums are looked upon with disdain by DDO management--from their point of view, the community here has three types of people:

1. People looking for answers. THE most important reason for this message board to exist. This group of people help the devs disambiguate the more esoteric procedures in the game into a simpler, and sometimes much less interesting, form.
    2. 'Fanbois' of the game. These are people who will love DDO no matter what. This group of people dislikes open criticism because they believe that it will cause the game to shut down somehow. These people are useless to devs unless they want to know they did a good job (even when they don't.)
    3. Complainers, rabble-rousers, and Teh_Troll. I put Teh_Troll separately in this list because he is legendary in his ability (kudos to sirgog as well) and even though he fully admits to being a troll, he is also knowledgeable and a valuable asset to the community at large. As a matter of fact, the complainers are the 'pain center' of DDO, and are the most valuable resource the developers have. If you can get these guys to tell you that you did a good job, you HAVE done a good job.

I started in category 1 and am now in category 3. I still play DDO quite often even though I complain, but I see a rapidly approaching end point. The fun isn't as easy as it once was. The grind is more apparent. The itemization from MotU alleviated that quite nicely, but it is gone now.

If any of you want to 'argue' with my post, you are arguing with a wall. I will engage in debate with you if you come up with valid points. I have heard none. My original point stands fairly unblemished, and to reinforce my argument, not a single dev has chosen to chime in (with a dev I.D. instead of pretending to be a user.) I welcome any and all discussion.
    Last edited by Certon; 11-08-2013 at 06:15 PM.

i found it odd the guy was too ashamed to show his face

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post

The protest is over. It was not very effective.
    just like your in game demonstrations?
    Ckarlock Alarm (PDK bard 7 fighter 6 rogue 2) life 17
    Dragonbloodz Power (Drow sorc 20/epic 8) life 6
    Sorinsal (Drow rogue 20/epic 5) life 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What I think is OP is anyone who uses implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill to be more effective in quests then I am - so I then find the time to post complaints about their use of implemented game mechanics, standard game features, or their own skill thus making me OP on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge_Dweller View Post
    Here's a new flash for the people who have not evolved and still play sponge toons: you serve no purpose. it's rude, but it's the truth. Divines are powerful, have been for a long time. They don't need you. If you need them you add no value to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    LOL

I was more insulted by her comment about myth-busters and testing that iXXXX lagtastic **** that ruined my raiding for months on Wayfinder. Learn how to test, woman! She was dismissive and also came across as stupid. Go on one of the big servers.

Though with so few raids to run, is that problem an issue anymore? LOL

And wow... the devs didn't know about the protest until Tuesday. That's nice. People care enough about your game to protest and you're dismissive. Yeah, probably a good idea to be more PC about it.
    I don't care enough to protest anymore. And therefore give no money to Turbine. These people still care and play your game.

Just stupid all around.
    nah. She made fun of the Devs for not immediately knowing about the protest, declared that she had participated in similar events for "far less important reasons" and her discussion of the protest strongly suggested that she was paying attention to players - and had been, all along, through the forums.

She certainly isn't stupid. That's just you trying to be hurtful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Esmarelda View Post
    I'm curious of the number of people who insult Turbine daily versus the number of people who are quiet and enjoying the game. I cannot blame them for not reading the forums since almost every post is 'Turbine sucks' 'I hate DDO' 'I am giving no more money' blah blah blah...DOOOOOOOOOoooOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 etc..etc..etc...

Do you people really think they are changing things around to make people leave the game? I think the best change they have made recently is the quest ransacking system. Since the old system punished casual players and only elitist TRs were enjoying running a quest 10 times in a row and moving on to the next one. Some people have only an hour or so a day to play and I enjoy running 1-2 quests a night and not having to worry about 'Did I run this quest 10 times already? Great, no more xp from it.'

The constant barrage of anger in these forums is very tiresome and I really only read it for a laugh. But one thing I will say, is that when a person asks a genuine question about gameplay, you generally will see honest answers from people and the anger sticks are put aside for at least one post.

So in closing, I hope people realize that this game is not just a hobby for Turbine. It needs to be profitable because they need to

support it with development and servers/bandwidth/etc. The minute this game is no longer generating money, they will close the doors because there would be no point maintaining something that does not keep revenue flowing. For all rage-quitters, you are only speeding the demise of a game that many of us still enjoy playing and spending money...just wish I would've bought up some more TP's on that last bonus roung.

And Ghostbane just to keep on topic.

Well, bro - the real problem is that Turbine just isn't very good at making this game engaging, fun, and in the spirit of the original D&D, not to mention the rampant technical failures. It isn't just this one, either.

I frankly have given up, and will be glad to see Turbine die so that its properties can be bought by a new company with more drive, technical skill, and good business sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Were you actually there? If so what was your toons name at the protest. I was there and the only people I recall with an ax to grind kept copying and pasting into chat that they thought crybabies only existed in WOW but I guess they are in DDO too (repeated over 100 times i might add)- which is a low level troll in attempt to instigate the protestors to a ragefest, which never occurred.

The wind was never taken out of the sails of the protest at all. The publicity it was garnering outside of the game contributed to getting a faster response to the issue.
    There was no reason to be there Chai. Some of the names I saw involved there and I saw promoting this on other websites were reason enough for me NOT to be there (not you of course). I simply didn't see the need to waste a day, none the less a week on a bridge in a game to revolt against a game company. I'm a father with a job, and a family of five to feed, that I felt was a more constructive use of my time. For those who had that kind of time, and was genuinely there for something they felt was a just cause, then more power to them.

But the protest really didn't weigh that much in their decisions to make changes, they already had a plan. They started planning/coding from player reaction on the forums/in game, before the protest for the bridge began. Plans take time to materialize/approve/code. And their solution makes a lot more sense than what they devised originally with the Saga tie-in (definitely a bad idea, and they knew it based on how many were running them)..

They did feel the need to ensure the protest didnt grow. And THAT they effectively accomplished with the podcast. The protest was done that day, for all intents and purposes.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 11-09-2013 at 05:55 AM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The publicity it was garnering outside of the game contributed to getting a faster response to the issue.
    Tell me: what did you get out of that protest? Still being able to buy the TR (lvl 20) hearts of wood with Epic Tokens?
    Comms are still coming live update 20, and you'll still need to run 100+ EHard quests to get one of the new hearts of wood. What did we accomplish with that protest? Nothing IMO.
    They tricked the protesters into believing they've heard us, and most of them got fooled into it.
    The grind is still coming and they are probably laughing at us.
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.
    GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.
    LMAO! M...D...? Seriously? - You have received an infraction...

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

There was no reason to be there Chai. Some of the names I saw involved there and I saw promoting this on other websites were reason enough for me NOT to be there (not you of course).
    You weren't there, so you don't know - but due to prejudice, you think you know. Right.

I'll thank you from not commenting on what you self-admittedly do not know anything about. Goodbye.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Quote Originally Posted by HernandoCortez View Post
    They tricked the protesters into believing they've heard us, and most of them got fooled into it.
    This comment reminds me of a great song... thanks Hernando!

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    prejudice?
    You clearly do not know the meaning of this word... or a thing about me. I know full well what the protest was about. It's over man.

(Strange enough, I even agree on your sig, especially on leaving D20 behind. Crafting should be more about a build than it is though, like it was in pen & paper, it should be built right into his skills.)
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 11-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Community Member

This comment reminds me of a great song... thanks Hernando!

oooooo i love that song.

my kids are looking at me head banging going what the feck, hes mad
    ahhhhh old times

your friend sil

The Hatchery

You clearly do not know the meaning of this word... or a thing about me.
    You made up your mind about a bunch of people due to seeing a name or two you didn't like among them. I think it fits very well.

Quote Originally Posted by silinteresting View Post
    oooooo i love that song.

my kids are looking at me head banging going what the feck, hes mad
    ahhhhh old times

your friend sil
    LOL!! Most kids dont even listen to good music like this. Or even know what "an album" is (who remembers buying two albums, one to play and one to hang up on the wall or store away!?". They have no idea

Oh, and You're welcome Sil!

Tell me: what did you get out of that protest? Still being able to buy the TR (lvl 20) hearts of wood with Epic Tokens?
    Comms are still coming live update 20, and you'll still need to run 100+ EHard quests to get one of the new hearts of wood. What did we accomplish with that protest? Nothing IMO.
    if you say so, but i don't believe that.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

DDOcast Host
    Licensed House Cannith Refuse Disposal Unit Technician

Quote Originally Posted by toaftoaf View Post
    i found it odd the guy was too ashamed to show his face
    nope
    Its a conspiracy
    technical limitations, pure and simple.
    DDOCast #309 was all done by 1 person
    feel free to read between the lines on that.
    I made it all up
    but anything else you find is just your imagination.
    I'm a turbine secret agent man.
    Last edited by pjstechie; 11-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    Shamgar ~ Pjstechie ~ Melchizedek ~ Habakkuk ~ Josheb ~ Magoi ~ Kinnor ~ Eshek ~ Zakchaios ~ Jephthah ~ Bartimaios ~ Ehudh ~ Bezaleluri ~ Nebuchad ~ Lava Divers (Khyber) ~ Epic Education ~ Building Blocks ~ DDOCast ~ contact me

Community Member

Excellent post. Of course.

The protest is over. It was not very effective. Turbine actually came up with a good solution on their own. Sadly the protest was taken over early by some loudmouths with an axe to grind (some known exploiters, banned forumites) so its real message was lost in gibberish "Turbine sucks" type banter.
    Actually, the "sucks" has been a pretty consistent message for some time now. Many very careful, well-thought-out posts have detailed why over a long period - but then it takes some reading comprension skills and a mindset other than sheepish fanboism to grasp the content.

Happily for the wool-inclined, most of the malcontents are gone, or leaving. Soon the game will be reduced to a server or two of the completely satisfied, and they can then spend their days happly affirming one another (there's another term for that, too), and sending Turbine money for a lackluster product.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthsarlacc View Post
    If not having a webcam is the “technical limitation” you are talking about.
    You can buy them for less than 5 bucks each.
    Some people don't like having their image on display. I'm the same way. We regularly video conference at work, I hate being on camera.

I can't really fault someone for that.

Consider it an extreme form of Anti-selfie-ism.

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Acknowledging a child holding it's breath until it gets it's way, just encourages that sort of activity. Better to ignore them till they either give up or pass out and automatic reflexes rectify things in such a situation IMO.
    A peaceful protest over a concern shared by 300+ players is childish, but insulting people acting on theirs is not?

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pleasegimmie View Post
    Well, bro - the real problem is that Turbine just isn't very good at making this game engaging, fun, and in the spirit of the original D&D, not to mention the rampant technical failures. It isn't just this one, either.

I frankly have given up, and will be glad to see Turbine die so that its properties can be bought by a new company with more drive, technical skill, and good business sense.
    See you. Hope you find a game more suited to you.

Uh, no baby. The protested did right by us - they helped keep tokens in the game, helped lower the costs of TRing, stopped the producers from continuing to screw up this game.

The protesters did us all a service and we owe them our sincere gratitude.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast