Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
  1. #1

    Smile DDOGamer: Doing the Math – the Best Class For Soloing

    Ever wondered which class is best for soloing?

    -> Wonder no more!

  2. #2
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    23,218

    Default

    Soloing class...




    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post
    Ever wondered which class is best for soloing?

    -> Wonder no more!
    You were way off on wizards, who you list as effective as fighters.

    For wizard ranks:

    DPS: Good (same as you list)
    Defense: Good via displacement, incorporeal and undead immunities (you list their defense as Poor)
    Heals: Good thanks to death aura and neb (you list them as having none)
    Saves: Good (same as you list)
    Locks: Good (same)
    Traps: None (same)

  4. #4
    Community Member Sokól's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    580

    Default

    I would trim down the saves on the Druid they get little reflex...
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    322

    Default Interesting idea

    i think this list has potential, but there are some obvious things missing,

    1) Warforged. Sorc and Wiz. Like commenter above me mentioned.
    2) Ranged DPS - Ranged and Melee DPS is very different. I.e. Bard is Poor in Ranged DPS but can have good melee DPS. Rogue is Poor in Ranged DPS. Ranger is Adequate in Ranged DPS, Sorc is Excellent. Ranged DPS should be valued higher than Melee DPS.
    3) Locks are not important for soloing, yet its rated as equal in importance to others
    4) Reflex is very important in this game, not the average of all their saves. I'm looking at Druid's poor Reflex.

    That's all i can think of at the moment. I disagree with other stuff like:
    -Ranger has high DPS
    -Bard has low DPS
    -Druid is the best solo class
    -Sorc and Ranger have the same DPS
    -Rogue is a good solo class
    -Rogue is a better solo class than Sorc and Wiz

  6. #6
    Community Manager
    Cordovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston Area, MA
    Posts
    17,642

    Default

    As someone who took some heat recently for an offhand comment made during a live stream involving the solo-ability of barbarians, this post was of interest to me. Interesting food for thought!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!



  7. #7
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Any class can solo if they have enough ghostbane.

  8. #8
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,095

    Default

    There is no such thing as best solo class.

    People, when will you finally learn about multiclassing?

    There are no classes to reviev, there are build to reviev!

    For example:
    take a damn barbarian. Give him decent dex, TWF feats 4 levels of cleric/FvS (and possibly some of ftr to fit those feats) and you got exceletn self healing melee.

    Give your wizard insightful reflexes, 2 levels of thief, and poof! He does all traps and locks in game, with awesome offensive capabilities (by spell DPS, CC and instas), uber defense (all spells, plus evasion with reflex over nine thousands!) and he is one man army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Any class can solo if they have enough ghostbane.
    This. and ghostbane aside, this is so ridiculously wrong. Wiz/Sorc should be near the top. It's not "a formula" it's "What actually is". Sorcs/wiz/cleric/fvs/druid/arties they blow through stuff.

    Barbs are last place, at least you got one thing right.

  10. #10
    The Hatchery Wipey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    GMT + 2
    Posts
    1,982

    Default

    There is big difference between 1-20, 20 - 28 EH and 20 - 28 EE.
    Certain classes or builds can go from best to worst and vice versa.
    Archer sucks in heroics, top dog in EE
    Caster hjealzor is Godlike in heroics , good luck with those 250k caster or 400k giant bosses in EE with DP or slas.
    THF fighter sucks in 15 - 20, blitzing + self hjealing Godlike for almost everything.
    Many more examples.
    Ghallanda

  11. #11

    Default

    I think this will change slightly with the advent of bladeforged. In a straight class - yeah - barbarians are behind the curve, but combine that with a self healing bladeforged (only need 1 level of paladin to be able to invest enough for their SLA reconstruct). Plus that also gives them the ability for lay on hands with minimal investment. And in the end all it takes is a ring of the master for reconstruct and repair lore.

    As for the rest, I agree. FVS is good at most of it, ranger is another good solo capable class (although it does require some investment in gear and heal amp).

    Arti is supreme in that respect. Reliable and cheap DPS together with the survivability of not only high end scroll 'healing' but also spells themselves.

  12. #12
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    I think this will change slightly with the advent of bladeforged. In a straight class - yeah - barbarians are behind the curve, but combine that with a self healing bladeforged (only need 1 level of paladin to be able to invest enough for their SLA reconstruct). Plus that also gives them the ability for lay on hands with minimal investment. And in the end all it takes is a ring of the master for reconstruct and repair lore.
    Bladeforged barbarian would be a very fun class to play, but it would require +1 heart, then alignment swap, then +20 heart.
    I can't see it, boss.

    (unless they drop dumb 1st level as forced class from iconics)
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,678

    Default

    Your report is very good, and fairly objective. You also accurately predicted the varied biased opinions you would trigger.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    There is no such thing as best solo class.

    People, when will you finally learn about multiclassing?

    There are no classes to reviev, there are build to reviev!

    For example:
    take a damn barbarian. Give him decent dex, TWF feats 4 levels of cleric/FvS (and possibly some of ftr to fit those feats) and you got exceletn self healing melee.

    Give your wizard insightful reflexes, 2 levels of thief, and poof! He does all traps and locks in game, with awesome offensive capabilities (by spell DPS, CC and instas), uber defense (all spells, plus evasion with reflex over nine thousands!) and he is one man army.
    The topic isn't about multiclassing. Geoff knows it exists.

    We're talking about one class that, all things being equal, have the greatest solo diversity.

    We're not doing the number-crunching min-maxing here because Geoff is exploring the maximum potential of the class, not the player's game mechanic prowess.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

  15. #15
    Community Member HuneyMunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Since when did Sorcerers become unable to do locks? They have the same ability as Wizards in that category.

    Also another category is missing (crowd control) which could be added to defense.

  16. #16
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    The topic isn't about multiclassing. Geoff knows it exists.

    We're talking about one class that, all things being equal, have the greatest solo diversity.

    We're not doing the number-crunching min-maxing here because Geoff is exploring the maximum potential of the class, not the player's game mechanic prowess.
    Single class is always irrelevant in game when you can have more than 1 at a time.
    The thing that matter is build of your character, and class is only a part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Your report is very good, and fairly objective. You also accurately predicted the varied biased opinions you would trigger.
    Sorry but it's pretty off.
    I know that he is talking about pure classes, but pure classes do not, de facto, exist.
    But even for the sake of the argument, it's wrong. A properly built pure rogue can out DPS any other melee, period. And to discount a rogues heals is a fallacy. There is no such thing as a rogue without healing. So you need to add to his dps AND heal bar in the graph. And that's just for starters.
    Last edited by SSFWEl; 11-07-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    Sorry but it's pretty off.
    I know that he is talking about pure classes, but pure classes do not, de facto, exist.
    But even for the sake of the argument, it's wrong. A properly built pure rogue can out DPS any other melee, period. And to discount a rogues heals is a fallacy. There is no such thing as a rogue without healing. So you need to add to his dps AND heal bar in the graph. And that's just for starters.
    It looked to me as though he was addressing innate abilities, not pots, wands, or scrolls. Healing is not innate to rogues.
    With respect to DPS, my own knee-jerk thought was that he got it wrong, too. However, a rogue's ability to 'out DPS any melee' is reliant on the rogue NOT having agro. This factor is difficult to maintain with solo play, so sneak dice only add to DPS on initial attacks and bluffs. This takes away the DPS advantage, unless one focuses on mobs that can be one-shot.

    ETA: Btw, I play pure classes, and I also do pure solo runs of quests.
    Last edited by Tscheuss; 11-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  19. #19
    2016 DDO Players Council kinggartk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,796

    Default

    So your saying Sorc can do locks (Knock), and Rangers have more DPS and Monks?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    It looked to me as though he was addressing innate abilities, not pots, wands, or scrolls. Healing is not innate to rogues.
    With respect to DPS, my own knee-jerk thought was that he got it wrong, too. However, a rogue's ability to 'out DPS any melee' is reliant on the rogue NOT having agro. This factor is difficult to maintain with solo play, so sneak dice only add to DPS on initial attacks and bluffs. This takes away the DPS advantage, unless one focuses on mobs that can be one-shot.

    ETA: Btw, I play pure classes, and I also do pure solo runs of quests.
    Plus a rogues dps is situational. It's great against living targets, but terrible (relatively speaking) against constructs and undead. On the other hand a pure melee is great DPS across the board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload