Default Wanna make a good melee CC monk, any built ideas?

I've already got a 34 point built wizard I wanna use my +20 LR Heart on and I was thinking I LR him into a monk. I have a few requirements for this monk:

1. He has to be able to self heal, and I mean to the point to which he doesn't ever need a healer present.
    2. He has to have tons of dodge and other attack prevention abilities, I want this guy to be nearly untouchable in GH EEs.
    3. He has to be able to CC (stuns and knockdowns) in GH EEs.
    4. He has to be human, since my wizard is human.
    5. He can't have paladin levels, since my wizard is lawful neutral.
    Melee FVS: Solarien
    Earth Savant: Keyros
    Pale Master: Kayros

Monk 17/Fighter 2/Cleric 1 is very potent. Fighter DC enh. compensates the loss of 3 levels for kukan-do, cleric gives access to empower healing, divine might and 75% scroll mastery.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Community Member inspiredunease's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feithlin View Post
    Monk 17/Fighter 2/Cleric 1 is very potent. Fighter DC enh. compensates the loss of 3 levels for kukan-do, cleric gives access to empower healing, divine might and 75% scroll mastery.
    Monk 17 gives you precisely... f*** all (EDIT: actually the extra reflex is not to be sneezed at, but, other than that). You might as well go 2 cleric to grab another spell slot and a bit more sp. I prefer druid though. Ram's might is one of the best possible melee splash spells, and your ap are too tight to waste in cleric trees. Once you have empower healing, cocoon is all you'll ever really need, as far as I'm concerned scrolls take you out of the action too much for EE. If you're desperate, you'll still be able to scroll heal, and having to pop two scrolls is really no worse than popping one when you've got to back out of melee range for a while.
    Last edited by inspiredunease; 11-07-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Community Member

do you have a link of this build, i need a guide to keep myself from screwing something up
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    if life gives you pickles, well you're screwed. because pickleade sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by inspiredunease View Post
    Monk 17 gives you precisely... f*** all (EDIT: actually the extra reflex is not to be sneezed at, but, other than that). You might as well go 2 cleric to grab another spell slot and a bit more sp. I prefer druid though. Ram's might is one of the best possible melee splash spells, and your ap are too tight to waste in cleric trees. Once you have empower healing, cocoon is all you'll ever really need, as far as I'm concerned scrolls take you out of the action too much for EE. If you're desperate, you'll still be able to scroll heal, and having to pop two scrolls is really no worse than popping one when you've got to back out of melee range for a while.
    Monk 17 gives +1 dc to kukan-do compared to monk 16, which is better than a few sp imo.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Community Member inspiredunease's Avatar

Monk 17 gives +1 dc to kukan-do compared to monk 16, which is better than a few sp imo.
    A marginal benefit for a marginal benefit. Fair enough. I have been questioning myself recently having an extra level of druid, but more for the reflex save than this. Not going to be relevant when I ITR into bladeforged anyway

Quote Originally Posted by thouston View Post
    do you have a link of this build, i need a guide to keep myself from screwing something up
    Mine is a dwarf and I have put points into Str to get Overwhelming Critical.
    If you want to focus mainly on CC, your points should go into Wis, for Stunning fist and Quivering palm. If you plan to use kukan-do (shintao tier 5), it's important to not dump charisma.
    I won't have time to post a complete build atm, but I can do in a few days, when I'll be back from trip.

Your wisdom would look like:
    Wis 16 + 4 tome + 7 level + 10 item + 3 iWis item + 1 exc. + 3 enh. (or more) + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 48 (50)
    It may be more if you include more wisdom from enhancements and use water stance instead of earth.
    Cha 14 + 4 tome + 10 item + 2 iCha sloted + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 34 (36)

You DCs would be (with +20 wis mod. and +12 cha mod.):
    Stunning fist: 73 = 10 + 14 half levels + 20 wis + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
    Quivering palm: 67 = 10 + 8 half monk levels + 20 wis + 10 shattering + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
    Kukan-do: 68 = 10 + 17 monk levels + 12 cha + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat

Community Member

Mine is a dwarf and I have put points into Str to get Overwhelming Critical.
    If you want to focus mainly on CC, your points should go into Wis, for Stunning fist and Quivering palm. If you plan to use kukan-do (shintao tier 5), it's important to not dump charisma.
    I won't have time to post a complete build atm, but I can do in a few days, when I'll be back from trip.

Your wisdom would look like:
    Wis 16 + 4 tome + 7 level + 10 item + 3 iWis item + 1 exc. + 3 enh. (or more) + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 48 (50)
    It may be more if you include more wisdom from enhancements and use water stance instead of earth.
    Cha 14 + 4 tome + 10 item + 2 iCha sloted + 2 yugo + 2 ship (+ 2 human boost) = 34 (36)

You DCs would be (with +20 wis mod. and +12 cha mod.):
    Stunning fist: 73 = 10 + 14 half levels + 20 wis + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
    Quivering palm: 67 = 10 + 8 half monk levels + 20 wis + 10 shattering + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat
    Kukan-do: 68 = 10 + 17 monk levels + 12 cha + 10 stunning + 5 combat mast. + 3 fighter enh. + 6 Legendary tactics twist + 3 GMoF ed + 2 tactics epic feat

thank you very much,
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    if life gives you pickles, well you're screwed. because pickleade sucks.

16 monk 2 fvs 2 fighter is better. FVS is better because it gives +3 to reflex saves vs. cleric. The 2nd level of FVS is better then 17 monk because you get Wall of Steel (+10 physical resistance rating) which is better then one dc of kukan-do which lands with ease anyway.

Edit: I have been trying to figure out a build concept that has mid 70+ quivering palm dc. Maximum ki regen/does not use much ki other then for quivering palms (everthing is nothing probably only real exception). I was playing around with some different ideas, but was curious what others thought for a build.
    Last edited by maddmatt70; 11-10-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member
    At Turbine HQ suggesting what to nerf next.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    16 monk 2 fvs 2 fighter is better. FVS is better because it gives +3 to reflex saves vs. cleric. The 2nd level of FVS is better then 17 monk because you get Wall of Steel (+10 physical resistance rating) which is better then one dc of kukan-do which lands with ease anyway.

Edit: I have been trying to figure out a build concept that has mid 70+ quivering palm dc. Maximum ki regen/does not use much ki other then for quivering palms (everthing is nothing probably only real exception). I was playing around with some different ideas, but was curious what others thought for a build.
    Wis based. 15 monk 3 druid 2 fighter. Go fire stance and spam quiver palm, stun fist, etc. With fatal harrier and 3 ki per hit, you can go to your hearts content in spamming. This is the build I will go for.
    Teth - Revenants

Babysittin Francine so he dont die 24/7. I used to be good at this game.

Quote Originally Posted by xTethx View Post
    Wis based. 15 monk 3 druid 2 fighter. Go fire stance and spam quiver palm, stun fist, etc. With fatal harrier and 3 ki per hit, you can go to your hearts content in spamming. This is the build I will go for.
    Hmm that would be only 18 ki every six seconds for palm (6 second cooldown) not counting other ki regen sources. I suppose there will be downtime between battles for more ki and there will be an initial surplus of ki at the start. I have not played a ton of monk builds, but was wondering about if you can spam palm and stun fist over and over or would you run out and not be able to do quivering palms until you get ki back sort of thing. I almost thought about a two weapon fighting build because then you would not be using the 15 ki for stun fist and you get vorpal and other stuff with two weapon fighting. Not really sure though.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member
    At Turbine HQ suggesting what to nerf next.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Hmm that would be only 18 ki every six seconds for palm (6 second cooldown) not counting other ki regen sources. I suppose there will be downtime between battles for more ki and there will be an initial surplus of ki at the start. I have not played a ton of monk builds, but was wondering about if you can spam palm and stun fist over and over or would you run out and not be able to do quivering palms until you get ki back sort of thing. I almost thought about a two weapon fighting build because then you would not be using the 15 ki for stun fist and you get vorpal and other stuff with two weapon fighting. Not really sure though.
    I agree it will be tough, but with crits and doublestrike I think the build could keep up sufficient ki, but I'll have to experiment with it.
    Teth - Revenants

Babysittin Francine so he dont die 24/7. I used to be good at this game.