Default New Owlbear companion

I know, I know, it's small potatoes. But, still, I thought this was interesting, considering we haven't had any word that one of Turbine's money makers would be getting new additions.

I was using my 200 billion shards on Lamannia and doing something i don't get to do on Live...Daily Dice. I keep hoping to see the cosmetic healm, but haven't gotten one yet. I did probably around 100 to 150 gold rolls, getting lots of tomes, three sets of Cosmetic eyes (all three blue) and one pet....a new type of Owlbear.

Nothing special, just the same as the Tawny with a different color and name. This one is called the Stormhorn's Owlbear.

Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default So cute!!!

Thanks for sharing. The little guy is too cute and I want to hug him, but I'm sure he would claw my eyes out if I tried! I wouldn't mind winning that from a roll.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    I know, I know, it's small potatoes. But, still, I thought this was interesting, considering we haven't had any word that one of Turbine's money makers would be getting new additions.
    We know that a snowy version is coming "soon". If you don't mind donating a bunch of money to charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    UPDATE 11/4/13: Now - with encouragements to donate!

Individual Incentives:

$50 - Custom Forum Title*
    $75 - Kill Cordovan in your preferred PvP pit!
    $100 - Custom Forum Avatar*
    $150 - Winter Wolf Pup
    $200 - Cordovan will lead or run a nekkid Tempest Spine group for you and your friends, using a non-admin standard character, on your server!
    $250 - Get a never-before-released Snowy Owlbear Creature Companion! Be among the earliest to get this Creature Companion!

Group Incentives***:

$250 - Cordovan will award five 250 Turbine Point codes to randomly-selected donors**
    $500 - Cordovan will award ten 250 Turbine Point codes to randomly-selected donors**
    $1000 - Cordovan will award ten 500 Turbine Point codes to randomly-selected donors**
    $1500 - Cordovan will award twenty Winter Wolf Pup Creature Companions to randomly-selected donors**
    $2000 - Cordovan will award twenty Snowy Owlbear Creature Companions to randomly-selected donors**

NOTES:

• Prizes are cumulative, so an individual who donates $100 would receive the custom forum title, the ability to kill Cordovan in a preferred PvP pit, and a Custom Forum Avatar.
    • The Snowy Owlbear Creature Companion is intended to become available through other means in the future, predominantly through Community-focused contests and events. However, we guarantee that this Creature Companion will not be offered through other means before December 10th, 2013 at the very least!

*Forum Titles and Avatars must follow the Community Guidelines, and be appropriate. The definition of "Appropriate" will be determined by the DDO Community Team. The title and avatar must also meet the requirements for the web site, so long titles may not be possible. For avatars, the donor can either send Cordovan the image to be used, or the Community Team can attempt to locate the desired image. All avatar creation and title work will be done in off-work hours, so please be patient.

**Cordovan will do his best to award the prize, so please make sure that you are able to be contacted if you wish to receive a prize. If you prefer to donate to the Turbine-Powered Moustaches team as a whole, please send Cordovan a forum PM to let him know that you donated to the team and would be interested in being entered for the drawings.

***Group incentives will be based on milestones taken from Cordovan's individual Movember page, along with donations made to the Turbine-Powered Moustaches page that are meant to be part of the "DDO pool". If you donate to the group, rather than Cordovan individually, please PM Cordovan through the forums here to make your donation count toward the group incentives (and to help him award you the individual incentives.)

Yeah, I knew about the Snowy, and if I had the money, I'd donate to get it. But still, no mention of this at all and it just showing up in the DD is kind of odd!
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Mind confirming if the Ownership Cert was bound or not? (I'm guessing it was Bound to Character or Account as most Daily Dice rewards are).
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Quote Originally Posted by Backley View Post
    Mind confirming if the Ownership Cert was bound or not? (I'm guessing it was Bound to Character or Account as most Daily Dice rewards are).
    You know, I did not check, but I would assume it was BtC like the tawny owlbear and calico tresym from the pre-order were.

Leader of The Dark Creed

You know, I did not check, but I would assume it was BtC like the tawny owlbear and calico tresym from the pre-order were.
    I thought those were BtA?
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

The Snowy Owlbear is very nice looking, perhaps the best looking Cos-Pet they've put out. I'm not a huge fan of the Tawny or this new grey one, so I'm not tempted to unholster the wallet. But that Snowy one I'd buy in a minute.

But for $250?

Last edited by Memnir; 11-07-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    The Snowy Owlbear is very nice looking, perhaps the best looking Cos-Pet they've put out. I'm not a huge fan of the Tawny or this new grey one, so I'm not tempted to unholster the wallet. But that Snowy one I'd buy in a minute.

But for $250?

I've seen this mentioned a few times, so wanted to clarify: Under no circumstances should you consider it "buying" the Creature Companion for $250. You are making a $250 donation to a cause because you feel the donation is worth it, and as an incentive, you are receiving a custom forum title, custom forum avatar, the ability to kill me in a PvP pit, a nekkid TS run I'll lead for ya, a Winter Wolf Pup, and a Snowy Owlbear Creature Companion. If all you care about is the Creature Companion, then you should know that this companion will be offered as a reward in the future by the Community Team. How has yet to be determined. It's availability, however, is planned to be restricted by the Community Team (this particular Creature Companion has been claimed by the Community Team for use during things like contests, honors, etc.) It definitely won't be handed out like candy, though; I expect it to be a fairly unusual occurrence. It's being offered as a top-tier incentive due to the fact that the folks who get it will have an exclusive window on it, and be among the absolute first in the game to have it.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

I fully understand all that - but the simple fact is that it takes $250 to get the Snowy Owlbear. Yes, it includes all the other incentives - and is for charity... but sadly my wallet does not know the difference between what is a charity and what is a vanity expense. It just knows that I would need to spend $250 to get the Snowy Owlbear.

My point is, this is the sort of Cos-Pet I'd buy at normal/high-normal prices in the Store. Not bats, rats, frogs, or unappealing color combinations on nicer pets (like the two previously mentioned Owlbears). However, $250 is simply too high an asking price. Yeah, I get that it's to show off that you are a charitable donator... but I still feel like it's taking a bit of advantage of the player-base. Personal opinion only, and I hope you meet your goals - but the barriers of entry on the rewards are, to me, too high.

Plus, since this Snowy guy is being used as a reward, and one with such a high dollar amount attached (for whatever reason, and whatever else is included), I strongly doubt we will ever see Snowy in the Store because it would cheapen the donators' reward. So, for that reason, claiming that the need to shell out $250 for the Snowy Owlbear is not too off base from where I sit in the cheap seats.

But at the end of the day, it's a nice reward for those who can get one - and I will be jealous if/when I see one walking about. The cause is a good one, and again - I hope you meet your goals for Movember.
    Last edited by Memnir; 11-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.

IYou are making a $250 donation to a cause because you feel the donation is worth it..
    My father died of prostate cancer.

DDO was at the time considered by both my parents to be an important social interaction for me, their primary caretaker, in this time of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    My father died of prostate cancer.

DDO was at the time considered by both my parents to be an important social interaction for me, their primary caretaker, in this time of need.
    I am very sorry for your loss.

Community Member

If all you care about is the Creature Companion, then you should know that this companion will be offered as a reward in the future by the Community Team. How has yet to be determined. It's availability, however, is planned to be restricted by the Community Team (this particular Creature Companion has been claimed by the Community Team for use during things like contests, honors, etc.) It definitely won't be handed out like candy, though; I expect it to be a fairly unusual occurrence. It's being offered as a top-tier incentive due to the fact that the folks who get it will have an exclusive window on it, and be among the absolute first in the game to have it.
    I like this idea. It supports a cause and gives a nice benefit.
    However, you should have put the same policy on your monster manual companions. I've spent 40 gaming hours to farm the Wraith companion (7500 killed wraiths ftw and 30 different kinds of wraiths spreaded all over the place..) and i loved to do that cuz I got the very first wraith companion on sarlona, 2,5 days after its release. However, I was more than disappointed when Wraith companions were sold via ddo store for i think 300 tp, given out like candy. It was the last time I've farmed or cared bout any of these monster manual companions, nor did i buy the 3rd edition of it.

Completionists: Heroic 34/42, Epic 36/36, "Iconic" 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by Derana View Post
    I like this idea. It supports a cause and gives a nice benefit.
    However, you should have put the same policy on your monster manual companions. I've spent 40 gaming hours to farm the Wraith companion (7500 killed wraiths ftw and 30 different kinds of wraiths spreaded all over the place..) and i loved to do that cuz I got the very first wraith companion on sarlona, 2,5 days after its release. However, I was more than disappointed when Wraith companions were sold via ddo store for i think 300 tp, given out like candy. It was the last time I've farmed or cared bout any of these monster manual companions, nor did i buy the 3rd edition of it.
    The MM companions are different then the ones sold in store. Like I have a bat and blue fire ele., which are different then the fire/poison bats and orange/pink fire elementals which I also own. Same in this case: They are offering a new color to same type of companion. They have done this with the winter wolf pup also, changing the color of the druid's wolf pup.

P.S. AFAIK, the other wraiths were released before the MM came out and were rereleased just recently.
    Orien: ~Erofen (30 Assassin Rogue) ~Erofenlock (22 EB Warlock) ~Erofenmonk (28 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (25 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (28 Barb) ~Erofenbless (28 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (28 Cleric Dualbox) ~Erofenten (20 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

Community Member Cryptobranchus's Avatar

I was using my 200 billion shards on Lamannia and doing something i don't get to do on Live...Daily Dice. I keep hoping to see the cosmetic healm, but haven't gotten one yet. I did probably around 100 to 150 gold rolls, getting lots of tomes, three sets of Cosmetic eyes (all three blue) and one pet....a new type of Owlbear.

Nothing special, just the same as the Tawny with a different color and name. This one is called the Stormhorn's Owlbear.

YES! I knew I saw a new one. One of these was in the Shard Exchange (for an exorbitant amount of shards LOL).

Community Member Cryptobranchus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I fully understand all that - but the simple fact is that it takes $250 to get the Snowy Owlbear. Yes, it includes all the other incentives - and is for charity... but sadly my wallet does not know the difference between what is a charity and what is a vanity expense. It just knows that I would need to spend $250 to get the Snowy Owlbear.

My point is, this is the sort of Cos-Pet I'd buy at normal/high-normal prices in the Store. Not bats, rats, frogs, or unappealing color combinations on nicer pets (like the two previously mentioned Owlbears). However, $250 is simply too high an asking price. Yeah, I get that it's to show off that you are a charitable donator... but I still feel like it's taking a bit of advantage of the player-base. Personal opinion only, and I hope you meet your goals - but the barriers of entry on the rewards are, to me, too high.

Plus, since this Snowy guy is being used as a reward, and one with such a high dollar amount attached (for whatever reason, and whatever else is included), I strongly doubt we will ever see Snowy in the Store because it would cheapen the donators' reward. So, for that reason, claiming that the need to shell out $250 for the Snowy Owlbear is not too off base from where I sit in the cheap seats.

But at the end of the day, it's a nice reward for those who can get one - and I will be jealous if/when I see one walking about. The cause is a good one, and again - I hope you meet your goals for Movember.

I am currently unemployed. Even if I had the means I would still have to think about spending several hundred dollars on a single 'vanity expense', even if it was for charity (sorry, not everyone has that kind of money to fork over on a whim these days). The Snowy Owlbear is VERY tempting since I absolutely adore them and I hope in future I can have access to get one. Until that happens, I will have to also be envious of the ones I see and sit in the cheap seats.

P.S. It should be understood that if I can help others by volunteering or even by offering a tiny sum of money, say $5, I will. And, I have done that (recently did so for Extra Life through LOTRO). It is just not easy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Backley View Post
    I just got one and can confirm it does not bind. I am on Sarlona though

fwiw:
    The Snowy Owlbear certs from the charity event are unbound.

Been letting mine sit on the ASAH since i got it. (Thelanis)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual