Community Member

Default The funny thing about ghostbane...

So this occured to me the first time I saw it, but here it is: if I could CRAFT ghostbane(cannith crafting only, none of that "challenge" S***), I would not complain about it in the slightest. Not even at all. Even if I couldn't craft any of the other fun new prefixes/suffixes, if that were the only change/improvement to cannith crafting, I wouldn't complain.

Community Member

Is this another ironic "Ghostbane is so lame" thread or are you being serious?

I can craft ghostbane, see me in the back alley after that tempest spine run.

I'm going with serious. I said in another post I could be okay with the loot changes... if I could also craft all of those pre/suffixes via cannith crafting.

Preferably without losing the recipes that are there in cannith now -- prepatch stuff is bad, mmmkay? You'd think Turbine would have learned that from Asheron's Call years ago, but apparently not.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by st0rmcr0vv View Post
    Dead serious. None-nerfed Holy of Ghostbane? Awesome. Ghostbane IV alone on a weapon(no + anything) with masterful craftsmanship? Double awesome. The non-craftability of this stuff is what kills it. Weapons? forget about it. For the new loot, if I could CRAFT all this **** instead of having to seek out a perfect random item I'd be so thrilled.

Digging through an alt I came across a classic ghostbane:

+1 Ghost Touch Quarterstaff of Undead Bane, ml:6 (+3 to hit, 1d6+3+2d6)

In new loot that'd be a:

+1 Quarterstaff of Ghostbane III, ml:6 (+1 to hit, 1d6+1+3d4), I think. I couldn't find one on the AH on Khyber to confirm, actually. Best I found was +2 of Ghostbane II.

Ghostbane is actually strictly worse in terms of average damage there (behind by 2, and missing +2 to-hit). Same story plays out for Greater Undead Bane (1d6+5+3d6 vs 1d6+1+4d4). It is only once you punch it up above GToGUB that the new stuff can win out, because it doesn't have to waste the whole prefix slot on ghost touch. Of course, at those levels (10+) you should be starting to look at picking up ethereal/ghostly on gear, at which point you can swap to holy of GUB. I don't know the math offhand, so let's do it: HoGUB is 1d6+2d6+5+3d6 (ml:10) while Ghostbane is 1d6+1+5d4 (ml:10)

... Wow, ghostbane sucks.

I guess it'd be okay as you near 20, because the HoGUB is just going to up the +enhancement of the weapon to +5, leading to a 1d6+2d6+9+3d6=6d6+9=30 (ml:18) while Ghostbane can just IX it up: 1d6+1+9d4=3.5+1+22.5=27 (ml:18). Er. DOH!

Okay, ghostbane just sucks period. Maybe I don't want the new stuff in cannith crafting, at the risk they'd remove the old stuff.

Someone tell me I blew my math somewhere? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by st0rmcr0vv View Post
    Ghostbane... Seriez Bizniss!
    There is no free lunch.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    Dead serious. None-nerfed Holy of Ghostbane? Awesome. Ghostbane IV alone on a weapon(no + anything) with masterful craftsmanship? Double awesome. The non-craftability of this stuff is what kills it. Weapons? forget about it. For the new loot, if I could CRAFT all this **** instead of having to seek out a perfect random item I'd be so thrilled.
    Cannith crafting is awesome right now because you cant make a piece of gear higher than ML:20 (+11 ->> +15 all ML:20). I fear if they update it any of the nice 20th "twink" gear I've made will then be ML: more than 20th (+15 = ML:28?) which makes them far less useful. Plus it's "not really fair" to all the people that chose to ignore the crafting grind to offer both new and old fixes so most likely they will remove the old stuff and add all the new stuff (and then we get the crappy random loot fixes on our crafted gear.) So I'm slowly backing away from the "please update Cannith Crafting" discussions. If they left the existing recipes and the existing cap then I say go nuts but I don't think that would be the case.

Why wouldn't it be fair? the option to craft was given to everyone, so if you chose not to craft it's on you... So "crafted items should be bad because some people don't want to spend time in crafting" isn't really much of an argument...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zibowskij View Post
    Why wouldn't it be fair? the option to craft was given to everyone, so if you chose not to craft it's on you... So "crafted items should be bad because some people don't want to spend time in crafting" isn't really much of an argument...
    "not really fair" was in quotes. Cannith Crafting IS one hell of a grind. As far as I'm concerned you should be able to make better than what is available from random loot for drudging through it. Though I kind of expect that the "this is OP" or "Yay Turbine! MOAR grind" crowd would go all Braveheart on the forums if they were to add the new fixes while keeping the old (especially if you couldn't loot them from a chest).

A rather simple solution to make everyone happy (or most of the people), would be to add some recipes but not the most powerful. For example, since ghostbane was brought up, you could be able to craft ghostbane up till III, while with random loot you can go up to V(?). This is just a silly example on top of my head, but it's pretty much what they did at the time with the spell power recipes.
    Anyway I won't hold my breath, since the crafting level upgrade to 200 was announced over a year and a half ago (it should have hit live servers more or less with MOTU launch, if I'm not mistaken)

Community Member

Ghostbane is not amused
    I am thirsty in the desert with an empty cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    I can craft ghostbane, see me in the back alley after that tempest spine run.