Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Default Will Non-Humans ever get Healing Amp?

As I’ve been playing it’s become more and more apparent that the vast majority of players are…human. According to ddoracle.com there are 196,408 humans. More than double that of the next most popular race, drow. An extra feat and 30% heal amp, how can you pass that up? In my most recent cleric life I decided not to play human for a change. And wow was I in for a big surprise, losing that healing amp has been killer.

Why don’t other races have healing amp enhancements? I think this is the main reason we don’t see much race diversity in DDO. I’m not saying they should all definitely have 30% racial healing amp but I do think they need some to be competitive going forward, 3 tiers of 5% or so. In a game where the hitpoints of characters is continuing to go up, losing healing amp is becoming more and more of a problem for any non-human race.

I’m finding that losing healing amp is so much of a deal breaker that I don’t find other races worth playing any longer, except if I’m going for flavor. That’s not even mentioning the extra feat. And for a melee human boosts neglect to a large extent the Horc enhancements if going melee. In most cases, the only viable option to Human is Helf but they get the 30% amp as well. And that’s a shame, since I think diversity would add to the game. It’s too bad that all I ever see is humans running around. Many of the other races need help.

It seems like unless I’m building a WF arti or arcane, human is the only way to go. If I’m building a tank with a huge number of hitpoints healing amp is crucial so my healthbar is filled up when I am healed. If I’m building a cleric it’s crucial to have lots of healing amp so my aura ticks for a larger number… vastly increasing my survivability. If I’m building a ranger, bard or rogue I want amp so my cure spells/heal scrolls fill up my redbar as much as possible, also increasing my survivability.

Am I in the minority or does anyone else feel the same way?

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Used to be WF was the uber race...
    Then it was dwarf was the race to be...

*shrugs* Without hamp, humans just don't have much of a way to be special as it were.

helves have it as well.

It's their schtick. If you want that feature play human, if you want CON to damage play dorf, if you want to be a valuable loot-sacrifice play halfling.

All races should have their own pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    I think diversity would add to the game.
    ...so, making the races all the same would ADD diversity????

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    ...so, making the races all the same would ADD diversity????
    Yes, because it would go a long way towards encouraging players to play other races.

Saying it would "make the races all the same" is a big overstatement. Giving other races some healing amp hardly makes them "the same". If the other races got say, 15% amp they would still have half that of humans. Humans still have all their other qualities that distinguish them from other races. The action boosts, ability to enhace more than 1 stat, extra feat, ect.

Healing amp is just too important in todays game for there to be ensentially a -30% amp penalty on non-humans/helfs. That is unless you want humans to continue to dominate all the other races.

That is unless you want humans to continue to dominate all the other races.
    yes, as a human irl... I support this.

really the trade off is that all other races should get ghostbane
    Last edited by flaggson; 11-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Infynity, Flaggson, Grazzit, Liryc
    Yep, I think I facepalmed my nose off.

Yes, because it would go a long way towards encouraging players to play other races.

Saying it would "make the races all the same" is a big overstatement. Giving other races some healing amp hardly makes them "the same". If the other races got say, 15% amp they would still have half that of humans. Humans still have all their other qualities that distinguish them from other races. The action boosts, ability to enhace more than 1 stat, extra feat, ect.

Healing amp is just too important in todays game for there to be ensentially a -30% amp penalty on non-humans/helfs. That is unless you want humans to continue to dominate all the other races.
    Having two hot dogs but giving them a different name doesn't promote diversity. They both are still hot dogs, just with a different name. Personally diversity to me is someone is the hot dog, someone is the bun, ketchup..etc...now that's diversity and makes for a tastier experience.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by flaggson View Post
    yes, as a human irl... I support this.

really the trade off is that all other races should get ghostbane

Beware, for as you know very well, thou shan't take Ghostbane's name in vain!

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I can't even see reason, why humans get this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

All races should have their own pros and cons.
    This.

I'm not sure why humans get healing amp, either, but having all races get it would just make one race like the next. There's not much diversity in that.

I checked out DDO Oracle and the numbers for characters per race seem about right. About 33% are humans. Although some may choose human for the healing amp, I would wager a majority have other reasons for their choice.

Also, healing amp is available on some items, and monks and paladins can get healing amp as class bonuses, so it's not only humans, half-elves, and warforged (via healer's friend, if you want to look at less of a penalty as an amp) that can get it.

Community Member

An extra feat and 30% heal amp, how can you pass that up? In my most recent cleric life I decided not to play human for a change. And wow was I in for a big surprise, losing that healing amp has been killer.
    To me the race enhancements went to **** with the enhancement pass. Not that they are poor but their cost is exoribtant. It costs minimum 17 AP to get to 30% in three levels. To me the enhancement trees for the various classes are superior so I sadly barely spend a point in class trees on any of my toons. I used to love Halfling for extra saves and sneak HD...

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I certainly hope not.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

None of my guys are human, although when I TR my wizard, I'll probably go human for the extra feat, but as a palemaster, he won't care about the healing amp.

My half-orc cleric has no problem healing himself.

My Halfling melee doesn't seem to miss the human healing amp.

I don't see the 30% healing amp bonus as that big a deal... Unless you're using it to make vampiric weapons or monk heal attack more useful... Heal spells fill up anyone's health bar (except maybe warforged) pretty well
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

With the way the enhancement system looks now, how many humans can afford any more than 10% healing amp? Maybe 20%. 30? Who's spending that many points on otherwise pretty poor racial enhancements? I have a human character that I can't justify spending the 3 AP to get HAMP 10%.

It's good, but if you're slotting some into your gear, you should be in decent shape.

And if healing amp were the enormous draw you claim it is, why isn't half-elf the second most popular race, offering the amp, and some interesting racial enhancements?

Oh, I'll tell you why: because most of the classes in DDO are seriously feat-starved, and that bonus feat is a rather big deal! The fact that it comes with an extra skill point per level, some flexible racial enhancements, and healing amp, is just icing.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    With the way the enhancement system looks now, how many humans can afford any more than 10% healing amp? Maybe 20%. 30? Who's spending that many points on otherwise pretty poor racial enhancements? I have a human character that I can't justify spending the 3 AP to get HAMP 10%.
    Naturally, it depends on what you want from your other PrEs; but 12 APs in the human tree gets you, say, two action boosts (2 AP), +1 to your primary stat (2 APs), 20% heal amp (4 APs), and +2 Action Surge to CON & primary stat (4 APs). That's not necessarily ideal, but it's not that hard to justify, either.
    And if healing amp were the enormous draw you claim it is, why isn't half-elf the second most popular race, offering the amp, and some interesting racial enhancements?
    Because humans are F2P and have been around since the beginning of DDO; while HEs are P2P and only 3 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

I don't see the 30% healing amp bonus as that big a deal... Heal spells fill up anyone's health bar (except maybe warforged) pretty well
    Pretty much this!

I have noticed augments that boost skills dropping, might as well add HA augments to the tables.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I don't see the 30% healing amp bonus as that big a deal... Unless you're using it to make vampiric weapons or monk heal attack more useful... Heal spells fill up anyone's health bar (except maybe warforged) pretty well
    it is a huge deal, if you don't see it you need to get your eyes checked.

HINT: real-DPSer don't carry "heal"

In most cases, I don't think hamp is THAT important. and idk if makes sense for all races to have it. but when it comes to tanks and such, if hamp items would drop in the loot tables again, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal for me. anyone else but me noticed convalescent stuff is extinct? still haven't heard if this is intentional or not.
    Last edited by Ginarrbrik; 11-07-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    ~ *Nikibrik* - The Arbiter of Life & Death | Brogburt - The Warlord | Capricio - The Lore-keeper | Rubrik - The Grove Protector | Kallistie - The Arch Necromancer | Thorbim - The Outlaw ~
    Thelanis ~ <Dwarven Weapons and Tactics>

As I’ve been playing it’s become more and more apparent that the vast majority of players are…human. According to ddoracle.com there are 196,408 humans. More than double that of the next most popular race, drow. An extra feat and 30% heal amp, how can you pass that up? In my most recent cleric life I decided not to play human for a change. And wow was I in for a big surprise, losing that healing amp has been killer.

Why don’t other races have healing amp enhancements? I think this is the main reason we don’t see much race diversity in DDO. I’m not saying they should all definitely have 30% racial healing amp but I do think they need some to be competitive going forward, 3 tiers of 5% or so. In a game where the hitpoints of characters is continuing to go up, losing healing amp is becoming more and more of a problem for any non-human race.

I’m finding that losing healing amp is so much of a deal breaker that I don’t find other races worth playing any longer, except if I’m going for flavor. That’s not even mentioning the extra feat. And for a melee human boosts neglect to a large extent the Horc enhancements if going melee. In most cases, the only viable option to Human is Helf but they get the 30% amp as well. And that’s a shame, since I think diversity would add to the game. It’s too bad that all I ever see is humans running around. Many of the other races need help.

It seems like unless I’m building a WF arti or arcane, human is the only way to go. If I’m building a tank with a huge number of hitpoints healing amp is crucial so my healthbar is filled up when I am healed. If I’m building a cleric it’s crucial to have lots of healing amp so my aura ticks for a larger number… vastly increasing my survivability. If I’m building a ranger, bard or rogue I want amp so my cure spells/heal scrolls fill up my redbar as much as possible, also increasing my survivability.

Am I in the minority or does anyone else feel the same way?
    DDORACLE stat definitely is skewed for more than obvious reasons. Regardless of whether human appears to be the most popular race, it is also the DEFAULT race in the character creation screen. I don't know about anyone else that has mules, but all my characters that were created simply as a mule are all default human/fighter simply because it is the default.

ENHANCEMENT POINT COST of obtaining the 30% healing amp is not cheap. Depending on your characters' builds, it may not be worth the cost to achieve the full 30% from the human line.

THIS SMELLS OF THE TOUGHNESS feat discussions a long while back. At some point, the toughness enhancement line (with the previous enhancement lists) was updated and added to EVERY race. Ranging from 2 tiers up to 4 tiers per race. IMO it was simply added to stop the whining and complaining of everyone that felt those extra 20-40 HP made a difference.

NO SINGLE ENHANCEMENT makes or breaks a build into being necessary to be the best. The concept behind having different races and different classes is so that the combinations of builds can be endless. Why give any class or race the same setup. If you want to have healing amp, be human. If you want to have access to Con and HP, be dwarf. If you want to have access to AA, be Elf.

-Bunk

Community Member

I don't know that every race (or every build) needs heal amp from race. But I do agree that the other races need something to make them more appealing. We've reached the point where nearly every arcane will be WF, and nearly everyone else is human, and most everything else is flavor. I've always wanted to try a dwarf, for any class, but whenever I look at making one I always end up going human. Halfling is viable due to saves and dragon mark and works especially well with rogue/monk. If DC casters were viable then drow would be too... but they aren't anymore. I think elves can find a niche with dex builds and rangers, but most will tell you dex builds are a trap and rangers are better as human. H-Orc still has a niche for THF builds, but most people still prefer human because some h-amp AND a feat is better than a few extra damage for most builds.

I think what puts humans over the top is getting all 3 of feats, skills, heal amp. I don't have any problem with that, but the other trees/races should offer something as good, which isn't the case right now for anyone that isn't warforged (and can cast recon). I think a good start might be just lowering some of the costs of things in the other trees, which often times seem to expensive (like elf gets some really nice rogue bonuses, but for far too high a cost for what's really a convenience). And drow just needs to be better. It's a P2P race for crying out loud, make it worth playing at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast