Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1

    Default Make cleave attacks a toggle

    Let's end the mindless piano playing!
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

  2. #2
    Community Member Sidewaysgts86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalConcreteSledge View Post
    Let's end the mindless piano playing!
    I never really found it too difficult to do? But may I ask for details on what activating this toggle would do?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysgts86 View Post
    I never really found it too difficult to do? But may I ask for details on what activating this toggle would do?
    It would add a cleave attack to your attack chain every <insert cleave cooldown here> seconds. On or off like a stance.

    Save bandwidth, save fingers. Win-win
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    I get your intention, take two clickies off your hotbar at a time when the clickies are piling on fast and furious. However, I don't think Cleaves are a good candidate for automation...

    -You need to be able to time them. You want to make sure you're facing the right way to catch the most mobs in your arc, and you want to wait until mobs are all within Cleave range. Having it tied to attack sequence would make such timing more difficult

    -You want to be able to launch them at-will. Having them in the attack sequence would make them impossible to use as first-strike blows against, say, packs of archers, before they break up, or even just to fire off a bunch of +W attacks in a row for an alpha strike.

    -If you're LD, you have a whole line of Cleaves where the cooldown is dependent on using Cleaves. Also, if they were a toggle, they wouldn't count towards your Blitz counter anymore.

    -The other clickies may interrupt your attack chain. If you only get Improved Cleave on the fourth strike, but you keep interrupting your attack chain with clicky attacks, you wont see many Improved Cleaves unless you stop using the other clickies - and then, what was the point of taking Cleave off your hotbar?

    -Likewise, you couldn't Cleave while moving if it was tied to attack chain.

    -Supreme Cleave costs health....you want Barbs to lose HP every attack chain?

    -Sometimes you might not want to AOE, and its easier to just not hit Cleave than to disable a toggle mid-combat.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalConcreteSledge View Post
    Let's end the mindless piano playing!
    HELL NO! LOL!

    You serious? You caannot be.

    Im a bard, if I see you auto cleaving in my quest - you'll be a soloist!! And no I don't mean a virtuoso


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I get your intention, take two clickies off your hotbar at a time when the clickies are piling on fast and furious. However, I don't think Cleaves are a good candidate for automation...

    -You need to be able to time them. You want to make sure you're facing the right way to catch the most mobs in your arc, and you want to wait until mobs are all within Cleave range. Having it tied to attack sequence would make such timing more difficult

    -You want to be able to launch them at-will. Having them in the attack sequence would make them impossible to use as first-strike blows against, say, packs of archers, before they break up, or even just to fire off a bunch of +W attacks in a row for an alpha strike.

    -If you're LD, you have a whole line of Cleaves where the cooldown is dependent on using Cleaves. Also, if they were a toggle, they wouldn't count towards your Blitz counter anymore.

    -The other clickies may interrupt your attack chain. If you only get Improved Cleave on the fourth strike, but you keep interrupting your attack chain with clicky attacks, you wont see many Improved Cleaves unless you stop using the other clickies - and then, what was the point of taking Cleave off your hotbar?

    -Likewise, you couldn't Cleave while moving if it was tied to attack chain.

    -Supreme Cleave costs health....you want Barbs to lose HP every attack chain?

    -Sometimes you might not want to AOE, and its easier to just not hit Cleave than to disable a toggle mid-combat.
    +1'd this whole sumbeech. Debate over. Nothing else to see here.... move along.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 11-06-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: dang it no mo lovin' tonight. gotta get ya in the AM


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    What about Cleave staying the same but Great Cleave adding +.5W and halving the cooldown of Cleave? Would save one hotbar button at least.

  8. #8
    Community Member taurean430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalConcreteSledge View Post
    Let's end the mindless piano playing!
    No.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

  9. #9
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,708

    Default

    get one of these

  10. #10
    Community Member Zibowskij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    205

    Default

    /not signed

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayseifn View Post
    What about Cleave staying the same but Great Cleave adding +.5W and halving the cooldown of Cleave? Would save one hotbar button at least.
    This is what I've thought of too as a way to reduce redundancy. You'd have to double the cooldown-clearing rate on LD cleaves too, of course, but really you could roll a LOT of attacks into the same "button" that successive enhancements, feats, etc. just enhance. T-A's cleave could further reduce CD and add more damage and the trip effect, for instance.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,584

    Default

    How about one button which would automatically use the strongest cleave available.
    Lay Waste > Mom Swing > Sweeping Strikes > Supreme Cleave > Great Cleave > Cleave

    One button to rule them all.

    I agree it's a piano play. On my bard, it's 1..5 for cleaves, 6-7 for boosts, 8-9 hjealz. It's ... a lot of clicking.
    Last edited by cru121; 11-06-2013 at 04:12 AM.

  13. #13
    Community Member taurean430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    A large part of the MoTU additions to combat activated abilities was intended to increase player interaction with the game environment. This change appeared to be made due to the large amount of melee type builds playing in a 'hold left mouse and steer to mobs while screaming heal me' fashion.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    322

    Default

    i think cleave was first, and was doing ok without the enhancement pass and epic destinies. legendary dreadnought imo is not fun though. watching your hotbar for activations while watching the environment, while maneuvering to next target. i had a character that had 8-10 different attack clickies on rotation! it can start with changing dreadnought, then change the clickies, remove some of them and make them passive.

  15. #15
    Community Member Oxarhamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalConcreteSledge View Post
    Let's end the mindless piano playing!
    don't take Cleave...problem solved


    /not signed

  16. #16
    The Hatchery Wipey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    GMT + 2
    Posts
    1,984

    Default

    Sometimes you don't want cleave attacks, around fascinated mobs or whatever.
    Don't want to use cleaves on single target with twf.
    Fast cleave resets the pause after boosting.
    Charging blitz.

    So hell no, no to any change that dumbs down active combat, cause that is one of the few things that DDO still got going for it.
    Ghallanda

  17. #17
    Death's Dominator Eth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    Also make heal spells an Auto-Toggle. So annoying targeting players with low health and pressing a key.

    On a serious note: If you have trouble assigning enough quickly accessibly keys with important abilities, you might want to get a mouse with extra buttons.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    -You need to be able to time them.
    I meant this as an addition to the existing combat system, not a replacement.

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    You want to make sure you're facing the right way to catch the most mobs in your arc
    You will still need to be facing the mobs in order to hit them. And have one targeted. Same as with auto attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Having it tied to attack sequence would make such timing more difficult

    -You want to be able to launch them at-will. Having them in the attack sequence would make them impossible to use as first-strike blows against, say, packs of archers, before they break up, or even just to fire off a bunch of +W attacks in a row for an alpha strike.

    -If you're LD, you have a whole line of Cleaves where the cooldown is dependent on using Cleaves. Also, if they were a toggle, they wouldn't count towards your Blitz counter anymore.

    -The other clickies may interrupt your attack chain. If you only get Improved Cleave on the fourth strike, but you keep interrupting your attack chain with clicky attacks, you wont see many Improved Cleaves unless you stop using the other clickies - and then, what was the point of taking Cleave off your hotbar?

    -Likewise, you couldn't Cleave while moving if it was tied to attack chain.

    -Supreme Cleave costs health....you want Barbs to lose HP every attack chain?

    -Sometimes you might not want to AOE, and its easier to just not hit Cleave than to disable a toggle mid-combat.
    As i said, nobody is forcing you to use automatic mode. And sure, you can get better results if you go manual. You can even mix it up, leaving some automatic while you handle others manually. I see no reason why automatic cleave wouldn't count towards your blitz counter. This would prolly be it's best use.

    Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    A large part of the MoTU additions to combat activated abilities was intended to increase player interaction with the game environment. This change appeared to be made due to the large amount of melee type builds playing in a 'hold left mouse and steer to mobs while screaming heal me' fashion.
    True. Now ppl avoid the clickies and still sometimes end up with more than they can handle.

    Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    i think cleave was first, and was doing ok without the enhancement pass and epic destinies. legendary dreadnought imo is not fun though. watching your hotbar for activations while watching the environment, while maneuvering to next target. i had a character that had 8-10 different attack clickies on rotation! it can start with changing dreadnought, then change the clickies, remove some of them and make them passive.
    So true. You can end up with more than 10 rotation clickies easy nowdays.

    Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Sometimes you don't want cleave attacks, around fascinated mobs or whatever.
    Don't want to use cleaves on single target with twf.
    Fast cleave resets the pause after boosting.
    Charging blitz.

    So hell no, no to any change that dumbs down active combat, cause that is one of the few things that DDO still got going for it.
    Active combat is something else, not smasing 10 keys over and over again...
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,673

    Default

    Cleave and the variations of Cleave wouldn't be good choices as toggles. In fact, the action seems to be the exact opposite of what's needed for a toggle.

    Sunder, on the other hand, could be a toggle that automatically works on the next attack after it cools down. I can see this being useful in pulling some of the button mashing that has entered into the game.

    I'm not sure about other actions being toggles besides the variations of Sunder though.

  20. #20
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    How about one button which would automatically use the strongest cleave available.
    Lay Waste > Mom Swing > Sweeping Strikes > Supreme Cleave > Great Cleave > Cleave
    This seems like a better idea: have a single button which cycles thru your cleave atks, using whatever's strongest & off cooldown. The micromanagers can still juggle them as individual buttons on their hotbars if they want; while our more button-challenged brethren get a breather without sacrificing melee DPS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload