Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you believe drives you to adventure in DDO?

I'm just curious, what makes you, the player, seek to adventure in DDO? For me, the driving force in adventuring is the experience. I want to be a part of something big in the world and partake in a storyline that is fun, meaningful and has purpose(Which includes making choices). For example, the first two adventure packs for Menace of the Underdark (And maybe the prequests) were actually quite fun because it focused more on adventuring than being a slaughterfest. I don't care too much for loot, as long as what I have is sufficient to get by. I don't have too much fun grinding for loot nor do I have fun when I have to do some massive, mindless slaughtering combating some of the worst AI controls and latency in a game. What about you? Are you in it just for the loot? To explore strange new worlds? To seek out new life and new civilizations? To boldly go where no one has gone before?
    Here's a riddle for you: What do you call people who play the game for only a day and apparently know everything?

Community Member

It used to be loot.

Adventuring is great, but the anticipation of finding a truly unique or powerful item. That's what used to drive me.

Not so enthusiastic anymore!

Community Member

Default Character builds

For me, it is to test and validate character builds. I know you can do it on Lammania, but there is also the satisfaction of doing in on a "real" server. I usually solo or dual-box.
    For the RP experience, I usually write up a bio that fits the character concept. E.g., human artificer/wiz is an Heir of Cannith who is following the Path of the Self Forged.
    Occasionally, I like to experience group interactions from pugging. In those instances, I usually play a healbot w/ occasional CC'ing and meleeing. Or a halfling rogue/wizard with DMs.
    I don't have high expectations, and they are usually met or exceeded.

1. For me, it's the people. I have more fun sometimes just talking to people, seeing if they'd make a good fit for the guild. I love the team building, because the game has that team feel to me. Take one look at any other mmo, its just not the same. Guilds in this game just WORK. I do wish they gave guild leaders more options though.

2. Character creation/building. I've partaken in probably well over a thousand builds. The forum here used to drive builders like myself to work harder, because so many more people hit your thread seeking advice. The day they broke the class sections up, they killed it. Then when they changed around to this website, they killed it again, just for good measure. But I still support my build threads, and try my best to get around to other threads when I have the time. I'll always help someone who asks for help with their build. Still a thrill.

3. New content.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

First and foremost is exploration. Especially the outdoor areas. Obviously, it does get old after a while, once you get it memorized, there's very little exploration left. But then a new one like the Stormhorns comes out, and I'm like a 5 year old all over again, running around on the playground.

Secondly is the people. There are some really fun people playing this game. I love the challenge of pugging and meeting new folks.

Then it's the builds. Some days, I'll spend more time playing with builds and gearing them up than I do playing the game.

The pleasure of acquiring items and stuff that otherwise only can be acquired in ddo store, asah or through your local dealer.

Character progression. A few months ago I capped my main, and by capped I mean level 28 triple completionist with max EDs. I find it difficult to find a reason to play him now. I could grind out some loot or try to max his favor, but meh. Been making alts and playing on my wifes account with her first life 28 point bank mules... waiting for epic tr to come out.

Community Member

I enjoy being with online with friends who enjoy the same thing as me.
    We help each other out, learn from each other and have fun. Every quest is a social event.
    Corazonroto
    Soultrax
    Mantrax
    The Spellswords - Ghallanda

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Ghostbane!
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    To explore strange new worlds? To seek out new life and new civilizations? To boldly go where no one has gone before?
    I definitely play for all those reasons, but I also require engaging gameplay with a good deal of complexity, a world worth exploring, mental challenges, and the ability to create pleasing avatars I can empathize with. A certain amount of equipment progression makes the world more interesting, but for me, adventure always trumps logistics. If this game offered a housing sandbox and player created dungeons, it would hold my interest for a long time.

Default I seek a dream of perfection.

The unattainable goal, always out of reach, just out of sight, just over the horizon that never comes near. I seek perfection. I want the character that can do everything, has everything, wants for nothing. I know it will probably never come to fruition. Nor is it a contest with anyone else. But after playing a single alt almost exclusively for over 6 years I can see that horizon getting closer. I finished getting all the gear I will ever want and am now on the TR path of the triple completionist. I have every epic destiny maxed and there is not really any raid gear I need. Once I get all my past lives under the old system and the new I will probably hang my hat once and for all and part ways with DDO a satisfied customer. Until that day I "beat DDO" I will continue running on that hamster wheel for the majority of my free time. Hopefully until that far off day Turbine does not mess this game up too bad.

"I want to be the very best, the best there ever was."
    -Ash

Honour, blood, glory!!!! and after gold, booze and women!!!!

Community Member

Thinking about it realistically, what ultimately drives me is my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Ghostbane!
    <gasp>

~What more could you ask for?

<tremble>

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando_Moreiras View Post
    Thinking about it realistically, what ultimately drives me is my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
    So that was you screaming into the mike before rage quiting in crucible?

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    <gasp>

~What more could you ask for?

<tremble>
    Ghostbane of ghostbane, of course.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by knightgf View Post
    I'm just curious, what makes you, the player, seek to adventure in DDO? For me, the driving force in adventuring is the experience. I want to be a part of something big in the world and partake in a storyline that is fun, meaningful and has purpose(Which includes making choices). For example, the first two adventure packs for Menace of the Underdark (And maybe the prequests) were actually quite fun because it focused more on adventuring than being a slaughterfest. I don't care too much for loot, as long as what I have is sufficient to get by. I don't have too much fun grinding for loot nor do I have fun when I have to do some massive, mindless slaughtering combating some of the worst AI controls and latency in a game. What about you? Are you in it just for the loot? To explore strange new worlds? To seek out new life and new civilizations? To boldly go where no one has gone before?
    ah this im afraid, im a ad DIKK t

your friend sil

geez you try spelling that bit the right way and not getting XXXX joke gone bad now lol
    Last edited by silinteresting; 11-06-2013 at 05:35 AM.

It used to be the loot, except now, raid loot is largely worthless and the good mods inserted into the game post-MotU are gone. As well, the powercreep of non-weapon loot is simply too much now. It's not that.

It used to be coming up with good builds, except now, any gimp split with enough stuff from EDs is viable because of the enhancement pass. So it's not that.

It used to be playing new content, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the way some of the post-MotU content plays or is set up. Not that either.

It used to be speed leveling, except I can't afford Otto's boxes and actually playing the content doesn't count for much anymore. No way it's that anymore.

So... I don't know. Hope that things will get back on track?

I am a sucker for lost causes, after all.
    .:Sarlona - ELH:. Inamorata (TR11 Completionist WIP) / Groundloop (TR2) / Signalmixer (TR) / Serraphiia (TR)
    Angelorum (TR) / Darqchylde / Aetherielle / Rashree / Colordepth / Wintremoon / Tarrynn
    Amarizi / Genozid / Arising / Tenpercenter / Ellixia / Zecele / Harika / Lainiel / Zephale

Community Member

For me it's challenge.
    - The challenge of going through a new dungeon being prepared for anything, or using the DM tips to guide you.
    - The challenge of puzzles that require skill. Crucible, Tormented, Shadow Crypt, Inferno, Abbot will remain my favorite dungeons. Every time you do those dungenons, you need to put some effort into completing them.
    - The challenge of making a group have maximum efficiency allowed. This means making everyone act in the way that fits best in that party. Whatever the difficulty of the quest, you can always find a way to improve the efficiency of that completionist warfoged wizard/monk with maxed EDs.
    - The challenge of creating the best character with what you've got so far.
    - The challenge of adapting to the group needs.

And honestly, I believe every human needs challenge to make the day. Jobs with no challenge end up in depression. Games with no challenge end up in quits. Of course too much of a challenge can also be bad, depending on the skills of the person. That's what every MMO tries to balance. Too much challenge versus too little of a challenge.
    My main server is Khyber. Have toons in almost every server for favor purposes. The Faltouts

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

To be entertained, and have a chance to meet people from around the world I would never encounter otherwise. I've met awesome people whose freindships have gone beyond the game. I have laughed my fool head off with people, done all sorts of different things in the game, and been entertained hugely. I don't care about the loot in particular or the xp, that stuff isn't real or important in any way. The fun I had boffing around the game is.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast