Default Concerning the loot...

While I like the new loot (not a min/maxer, as most now know) I do feel for those of you who think the new loot sucks. Apparently, the devs who are over the dialogue ALSO felt this way....

Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

There is no cheese on the table!

Eveningstar and TFR has finally got some content to work with, we still want more, but there is a good foothold for the games well being.

I can't seem to sell any of the new loot I have earned even if I put it at 3 shards and 4 buyout.

The new loot tables made a lot of my old loot go up in value.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    There is no cheese on the table!

Eveningstar and TFR has finally got some content to work with, we still want more, but there is a good foothold for the games well being.

I can't seem to sell any of the new loot I have earned even if I put it at 3 shards and 4 buyout.

What's a "shard?"

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    I really wonder what the Devs were thinking. I mean sure, they mentioned that undead were a source of concern for low level/new players, so they combined Ghost Touch and Undead Bane (except for existing named items like the weapons from Catacombs - those still have Undead Bane). But did they ever think about the following:

I pug on my TRs. Currently on a Quarter Staff based life. I'm running around at level 8 destroying things, and a new player in the group asks what I'm using so I link my Festival Icy Burst/Flaming Burst Quarter Staff of The Sun. New guy says "cool, where can I get one of those?" unfortunately I have to answer "You can't. Burst effects and Named effects were recently removed from the loot tables..." Later in Taming the Flames, the experience repeated when he noticed I changed weapons, asked me to link the Festival Icy Burst/Acid of Greater Elemental Bane.

Needless to say, New Guy was disappointed. It's an experience I don't look forward to repeating: showing new players the gear that's cooler than anything they have a chance of looting. Was this scenario of disappointing new players part of your considerations in implimenting the "new and improved" loot tables?
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    <snip>

Needless to say, New Guy was disappointed. It's an experience I don't look forward to repeating: showing new players the gear that's cooler than anything they have a chance of looting. Was this scenario of disappointing new players part of your considerations in implimenting the "new and improved" loot tables?
    I'm pretty sure it's to disappoint players across the board. Remember that Commendations of Valor will be an End reward only option. The Devs can't have appealing loot interfere with the new shiny mechanism (soon to be replaced within a year, if history tells us anything). From the Dev's POV, it's bad enough that Guild Renown and old named gear has a chance of being chosen over CoV, but they made sure that the loot tables are bad enough that generic loot, new named loot and tomes (+4 and high tomes don't drop anymore, right?) will no longer be interesting enough for players anymore.

I really wonder what the Devs were thinking. I mean sure, they mentioned that undead were a source of concern for low level/new players, so they combined Ghost Touch and Undead Bane (except for existing named items like the weapons from Catacombs - those still have Undead Bane). But did they ever think about the following:

I pug on my TRs. Currently on a Quarter Staff based life. I'm running around at level 8 destroying things, and a new player in the group asks what I'm using so I link my Festival Icy Burst/Flaming Burst Quarter Staff of The Sun. New guy says "cool, where can I get one of those?" unfortunately I have to answer "You can't. Burst effects and Named effects were recently removed from the loot tables..." Later in Taming the Flames, the experience repeated when he noticed I changed weapons, asked me to link the Festival Icy Burst/Acid of Greater Elemental Bane.

Thanks I needed the chuckle. A similar thing happened to me the week before the changes. The irony is I didn't know how bad the new itemization was. I wonder if that player still plays as it was his first character (horribly built but he was having fun and I personally didn't mind) and currently has almost no chance to get anything useful from random loot drop weapons.

Wow. I never thought of it that way. The above post needs to have its own thread. I wish one of the Devs would read your post.

It's so strange that we have new best in slot random loot - Deadly and whatever your stat/resistance/armor needs are - and items that would be ok supplementing, but not supplanting, the more interesting loot from before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    What's a "shard?"
    In this case, I believe it refers to an Astral Shard (AS), a special currency, purchased with real money, used primarily to bid on items on the Astral Shard Auction House (ASAH).

Not to detract from your point, because it is really extremely valid, but he can replicate the latter, he just gets to grind out 131 crafting levels first:

Highest Arcane shard level is 10
    Highest Elemental shard level is 30
    Highest Divine shard level is 91

Total Item Potential Required: 5 (Min Level on item will be 8)

You will have to make:
    Shard of [+1] Enhancement Bonus
    Shard of Acid
    Shard of Greater Elemental Bane

... and then wait for the winter event. (boo!) Similarly, you could do most of the Sun stick via cannith, and then give it the 1d4 solar from mabar, though you clearly won't be able to stack the festival frost on it.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysem View Post
    Not to detract from your point, because it is really extremely valid, but he can replicate the latter, he just gets to grind out 131 crafting levels first:

You will have to make:
    Shard of Acid

... and then wait for the winter event. (boo!) Similarly, you could do most of the Sun stick via cannith, and then give it the 1d4 solar from mabar, though you clearly won't be able to stack the festival frost on it.
    Festival boosts don't work on crafted gear.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysem View Post

You will have to make:
    Shard of Acid

As Krelar stated, Cannith crafted items can't have the festival enhancements on it.

It took forever to finally get the answer from the Devs, but there are 3 categories of items: Randomly Generated, Named and Crafted. Cannith Crafted items are considered Crafted and Crafted items can't use any Festival enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Festival boosts don't work on crafted gear.
    Point. I forget that, since I've basically never run the winter festival since Cannith crafting came out (haven't been playing when it has been on). Although, I'm sure they could, you know, fix that.