Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 158
  1. #81
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    using this reasoning there should not be any flagging quests at all just walk up and do any raid.
    Nope. Turbine used their data to determine that requiring this quest to flag was detrimental to the game and I think they are right.

    It shouldn't matter to you what others are required to run to flag the quest. You can run the quest any time you wish. The only reason for this type of thinking is to limit others from running raids.

  2. #82
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unacceptable View Post
    Nope. Turbine used their data to determine that requiring this quest to flag was detrimental to the game and I think they are right.

    It shouldn't matter to you what others are required to run to flag the quest. You can run the quest any time you wish. The only reason for this type of thinking is to limit others from running raids.
    There was never a limit because crucible was part of the flagging chain. There were scads of people ready and willing to run reaver and it was one of the raids that took the shortest amount of time to fill. Doesn't seem to limiting to me.

    The major issue here is that people refuse to use the mechanism already in place for easing difficulty, which is running on normal. Instead they have to insist that something be done for them that EVERYONE ELSE will have to deal with as well. They could have chosen to run a lesser difficulty, but refuse to due to being trapped by "must have" large XP totals. So they have the game changed for all players, to accommodate their own XP entitlement.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  3. #83
    Community Member Vellrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    7,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unacceptable View Post
    Nope. Turbine used their data to determine that requiring this quest to flag was detrimental to the game and I think they are right.

    It shouldn't matter to you what others are required to run to flag the quest. You can run the quest any time you wish. The only reason for this type of thinking is to limit others from running raids.
    I like flagging system.
    I like them being demaning, I liked crucible for reaver, I like coal for shroud, I like boots for ToD.
    The reason is, flagging is (in case of reaver/fot was) difficult, so being actually raid flagged was a reward, you had to work for, not just something you're entitled to no matter what.
    Having to work for raid flag helped to prepare players with having to work for raid completions.
    If someone didn't want to bother with flagging, but instead demands flag be handed to him, how is he going to do in raid? Will the said person prepare their character, by getting appropriate weaponry or other nessesary things? I highly doubt so. Even now, you can hear about morons not carrying curse pots to web, and when given regular pots, they refuse to use them for whatever silly reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

  4. #84
    Community Member deahamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    905

    Default

    I hated Crucible. I did it every life, sometimes elite, sometimes hard, sometimes casual (when I missed the flagging due to using a stone and just wanted it gone).
    Why?

    Because I have always loved fighting the 3 dragon/giant pairs. Those were my favourite fights EVER. I ran that quest more than anything ever on several characters.

    I groaned every time I had to do Crucible each life. And other than my very first life and that casual solo run, I was always with people who could do it in their sleep. Sometimes with people who were willing to teach, other times with people who told you where to go and when at least. It was not HARD in those parties. It was not even challenging.

    It was a bore. A complete and utter bore. The only person remotely having fun was the one swimming. And even they weren't always. A somewhat new swimmer felt anxious because they were in a party of people who did a TR life in 3-4 days. An experienced swimmer felt no challenge and could do it in their sleep.

    I do not blame Turbine if they made a decision to bring a higher percent of their population to the dragons and Reaver raid. After all we had/have jokes for raids at end-game now and jokes for named loot from raids too. Anything to make the small amount of "end-game" palatable.

    I will never understand what the gripe is. I love my dragons, I'd never get mad people don't have to run the dragons to run Reaver. The less unhappy people in my PUGs of dragons, the better!

    A company should be subtle in its attempt to direct players to content not heavy handed. I do not see what they lose.
    But maybe I never even understood the whole fuss of flagging, I always assumed it was story-driven, I saw no sense for flagging otherwise.... It's not like I ever felt Crucible prepared one for Reaver (I think some of the other quests like Madstone where you defend giants was a better preparation if anything) and no quest prepares you for raiding, no offence.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

  5. #85
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    I hated Crucible.

    I groaned every time I had to do Crucible each life. And other than my very first life and that casual solo run, I was always with people who could do it in their sleep. Sometimes with people who were willing to teach, other times with people who told you where to go and when at least. It was not HARD in those parties. It was not even challenging.

    It was a bore. A complete and utter bore. The only person remotely having fun was the one swimming. And even they weren't always. A somewhat new swimmer felt anxious because they were in a party of people who did a TR life in 3-4 days. An experienced swimmer felt no challenge and could do it in their sleep.

    I will never understand what the gripe is. I love my dragons, I'd never get mad people don't have to run the dragons to run Reaver. The less unhappy people in my PUGs of dragons, the better!

    A company should be subtle in its attempt to direct players to content not heavy handed. I do not see what they lose.

    But maybe I never even understood the whole fuss of flagging, I always assumed it was story-driven, I saw no sense for flagging otherwise.... It's not like I ever felt Crucible prepared one for Reaver (I think some of the other quests like Madstone where you defend giants was a better preparation if anything) and no quest prepares you for raiding, no offence.
    You understand perfectly and mirror what almost everyone in the game feels except the people that play excessively. Their only goal is to make the game harder for others. The forum gripers do not represent the DDO community at large. Turbine doesn't always make the right decision, but they did in this case. Nothing is stopping people from running crucible if they enjoy it. It's still needed for the saga.

  6. #86
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unacceptable View Post
    You understand perfectly and mirror what almost everyone in the game feels except the people that play excessively. Their only goal is to make the game harder for others. The forum gripers do not represent the DDO community at large. Turbine doesn't always make the right decision, but they did in this case. Nothing is stopping people from running crucible if they enjoy it. It's still needed for the saga.
    The people demanding the game be made easier make it harder for others to have fun by subjecting everyone else to playing by their standards. Instead of refusing to use the NHE system already in place and demanding quests be removed from the flagging loop, they should have used the NHE system in place, which allows everyone else to play by their own standards.

    No, they did not make the right decision, because that decision made forces everyone to play by the standards of the complainers, when the complainers should have played hard or normal, thus using the system that was already in place to mitigate the situation.

    The same type of complaining that undead were too hard to kill caused the ghostbaning of the entire loot system. No more pure good folks, because complainers refused to pick up a ghost touch weapon, so now everyone else is subject to this new fail loot.

    Moral of the story: When theres already a system in place to mitigate the situation, use it, rather than refuse to use it and insist everyone else play by your standard.

    This stuff about people supposedly wanting the game to be harder for others, is a strawman argument. If the people complaining crucible was too hard ran it on a difficulty that was right for them, they would have no issue.
    Last edited by Chai; 11-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  7. #87
    Community Member TekkenDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    969

    Default

    I find the notion that the game being made harder whatsoever being negative hilarious.

    There's nothing wrong if the game becomes harder for someone, unless it becomes impossible. Difficulty is a good thing and the driving force behind this MMO, right down to having to figure out how to build your characters.

  8. #88
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    I find the notion that the game being made harder whatsoever being negative hilarious.

    There's nothing wrong if the game becomes harder for someone, unless it becomes impossible. Difficulty is a good thing and the driving force behind this MMO, right down to having to figure out how to build your characters.
    Yeah right? who cares if it gets harder it won't matter cause we all has ghostbane now......i laugh in the face of danger with my trusty ghostbane at hand and luckily in the very next chest. We now have nothing to fear.

  9. #89
    Community Member Golddragon87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Probably not at your house. Probably...
    Posts
    196

    Default

    I never did understand the frustration with removing Crucible from flagging. It affects no one but the people who did not want to run it. If you still like Crucible throw up an LFM and run it. If you don't like Crucible (many people do not) then now you do not have to. Seemingly everyone wins so where is the point of conflict? Who loses anything out of this?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

    Proud resident of Sarlona. Player of "Gilgimesh the Steel Demon".

  10. #90
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golddragon87 View Post
    I never did understand the frustration with removing Crucible from flagging. It affects no one but the people who did not want to run it. If you still like Crucible throw up an LFM and run it. If you don't like Crucible (many people do not) then now you do not have to. Seemingly everyone wins so where is the point of conflict? Who loses anything out of this?
    I do cause I cant force 4-5 people who don't like crucible to run crucible with me as I sneer at their noobness, getting lost in the maze, falling dying whatever.

    Though I guess they just think they are making the game too easy?

    I don't mind taking it off flagging, and I like that its part of the saga as I dont mind running it, lots of xp then the tasty saga reward. .

  11. #91
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The people demanding the game be made easier make it harder for others to have fun by subjecting everyone else to playing by their standards. Instead of refusing to use the NHE system already in place and demanding quests be removed from the flagging loop, they should have used the NHE system in place, which allows everyone else to play by their own standards.

    No, they did not make the right decision, because that decision made forces everyone to play by the standards of the complainers, when the complainers should have played hard or normal, thus using the system that was already in place to mitigate the situation.

    The same type of complaining that undead were too hard to kill caused the ghostbaning of the entire loot system. No more pure good folks, because complainers refused to pick up a ghost touch weapon, so now everyone else is subject to this new fail loot.

    Moral of the story: When theres already a system in place to mitigate the situation, use it, rather than refuse to use it and insist everyone else play by your standard.

    This stuff about people supposedly wanting the game to be harder for others, is a strawman argument. If the people complaining crucible was too hard ran it on a difficulty that was right for them, they would have no issue.
    I don't think they listened to anyone on the forums - I rarely heard a mention of the quest on the forums.

    They have other data such as # of people running quests, # of people failing/abandoing quests.

    What you, the OP and others fail to explain is how this change hurts you? They didn't remove or change crucible they simply changed the flagging requirement right before they released the new epic content.

    If you like the quest then run the quest instead of complaining that people should be forced to run a quest that was always unpopular.

    The quest is still there and still unchanged.

  12. #92
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unacceptable View Post
    I don't think they listened to anyone on the forums - I rarely heard a mention of the quest on the forums.

    They have other data such as # of people running quests, # of people failing/abandoing quests.
    There was a thread up for crucible and running with the devils up frequently enough.

    They also have the data for what difficulty the quest was set to, and I bet elite beats normal + hard + casual combined.

    Quote Originally Posted by unacceptable View Post
    What you, the OP and others fail to explain is how this change hurts you? They didn't remove or change crucible they simply changed the flagging requirement right before they released the new epic content.
    Turbine already has a difficulty system in place to handle that situation. People REFUSED to run it on anything other than elite, because they fell for the trap of the slightly higher XP total, and felt entitled to it without having to be ready for it. You don't see how that affects people who are ready for it? You don't see how setting the precedent that complaining about stuff will get it changed to hello kitty difficulty takes the fun out of it for other players?

    Quote Originally Posted by unacceptable View Post
    If you like the quest then run the quest instead of complaining that people should be forced to run a quest that was always unpopular.

    The quest is still there and still unchanged.
    Instead of complaining, people should have run it on a difficulty that suits their character build + play experience. Crucible was never unpopular until those who felt entitled to the highest XP total insisted on changing the flagging mechanism for them because they refuse to run it on anything other than elite, and thus it got changed for everyone else as well. Before the BB caused XP entitlement to boil to the surface, people were happy to run it on normal or hard.
    Last edited by Chai; 11-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  13. #93
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golddragon87 View Post
    I never did understand the frustration with removing Crucible from flagging. It affects no one but the people who did not want to run it. If you still like Crucible throw up an LFM and run it. If you don't like Crucible (many people do not) then now you do not have to. Seemingly everyone wins so where is the point of conflict? Who loses anything out of this?
    This. Crucible was never difficult, even on elite. It was merely long and annoying. I have no desire to use Super Mario skills in an MMO. Using the difficulty system would not change that fact.

    But...but...Swim? Swim, chug potions. Swim, chug potions. That was tough! And once it was done, you were then able to show your "elite" skills in a raid known as Piker's Fate. Good job!

  14. #94
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golddragon87 View Post
    I never did understand the frustration with removing Crucible from flagging. It affects no one but the people who did not want to run it. If you still like Crucible throw up an LFM and run it. If you don't like Crucible (many people do not) then now you do not have to. Seemingly everyone wins so where is the point of conflict? Who loses anything out of this?
    It furthers the precedent that nothing challenging should ever be developed for this game, because it will simply be complained about until it gets crucibled. So the statement that it affects no one, is false. Notice how most of the new content has been fairly linear, compared to the stuff that was developed in the first 2 years of the game.

    Its also the folks who complain about tougher content who refuse to support significantly better rewards for completing tougher content. The same logic could be applied. Why does it affect them if someone else gets something better for beating harder content? Making tougher content optional is fine, if theres an incentive to run said tougher content for those who want to do so.
    Last edited by Chai; 11-08-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  15. #95
    Community Member deahamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    It furthers the precedent that nothing challenging should ever be developed for this game, because it will simply be complained about until it gets crucibled. So the statement that it affects no one, is false. Notice how most of the new content has been fairly linear, compared to the stuff that was developed in the first 2 years of the game.

    Its also the folks who complain about tougher content who refuse to support significantly better rewards for completing tougher content. The same logic could be applied. Why does it affect them if someone else gets something better for beating harder content? Making tougher content optional is fine, if theres an incentive to run said tougher content for those who want to do so.
    So any changes are bad because it's about precedent? The precedent was created long ago. The ****tiness of the new content has nothing to do with difficulty and all to do with lack of imagination. That can be seen in a lot of decisions and changes they made in the last 2 years.
    I don't care that there are better rewards for harder content or difficulty. I do care if the harder content requires the harder equips to beat or the community becomes so stupid as to require elite equips to run elite. Community has often shown itself full capable of such stupidity.
    But as you often do, you are going from ONE particular topic and linking it to everything you see bad.

    I am all for challenging content, which to me Crucible was not (it was BORING/ANNOYING but not hard or challenging)... I am all for better rewards for higher effort... but I still do not see how any of that has to do with Crucible being optional or required for flagging. I still think flagging in general is a dread.


    Quote Originally Posted by Schaden_freude View Post
    This. Crucible was never difficult, even on elite. It was merely long and annoying. I have no desire to use Super Mario skills in an MMO. Using the difficulty system would not change that fact.

    But...but...Swim? Swim, chug potions. Swim, chug potions. That was tough! And once it was done, you were then able to show your "elite" skills in a raid known as Piker's Fate. Good job!
    And he keeps saying people refused to use the difficulties. I ran it on casual when I just wanted the flag, it's not like most people do the Dragons or Reavers on elite at level anyway, so whatevers... But even on casual, even with experienced people on elite... it was boring. It was annoying. Jumping into a pure pug of it was an exercise in wasting your evening. Or caring/being carried. All in all, MEH. Inferno, or whatever it was called, was a much better example of a maze where at least it was fun, crazy, wild experience and it was a maze.
    Hey Hey, Piker's Fate might suck but the dragons were FUN!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    There was a thread up for crucible and running with the devils up frequently enough.

    They also have the data for what difficulty the quest was set to, and I bet elite beats normal + hard + casual combined.

    Turbine already has a difficulty system in place to handle that situation. People REFUSED to run it on anything other than elite, because they fell for the trap of the slightly higher XP total, and felt entitled to it without having to be ready for it. You don't see how that affects people who are ready for it? You don't see how setting the precedent that complaining about stuff will get it changed to hello kitty difficulty takes the fun out of it for other players?

    Instead of complaining, people should have run it on a difficulty that suits their character build + play experience. Crucible was never unpopular until those who felt entitled to the highest XP total insisted on changing the flagging mechanism for them because they refuse to run it on anything other than elite, and thus it got changed for everyone else as well. Before the BB caused XP entitlement to boil to the surface, people were happy to run it on normal or hard.
    People will complain. People will refuse to run things. There are plenty of things we complain about over and over and omg fragging over and Turbine does NOTHING about. Complaining isn't what lead to their decision. They observed things and made a decision. And other than you trying to link removing a quest from HAVE-TO-RUN to OPTIONAL-TO-RUN to everything and anything bad in this game, there is NO negative impact.
    The quest could have been nerf-ed to make it more palatable. The quest could have had crappy hand-holding added into it to make it easier. The quest could have been edited for less boredom (I don't see how) for most of the party. The quest could have been revamped entirely, swim removed, etc.
    Instead they just made it optional. And you're crying as if they did ALL of those things to it instead of making it optional.

    And of all quests to cry about... Crucible. There is no skill in cooperation really required in that awful quest. Inferno... there's cooperation and having to think. Dragons, there's skill!

    Of the millions of f-ups they have done since MOTU, making a quest optional is hardly the root of all evil. Get a grip.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

  16. #96
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    So any changes are bad because it's about precedent? The precedent was created long ago. The ****tiness of the new content has nothing to do with difficulty and all to do with lack of imagination. That can be seen in a lot of decisions and changes they made in the last 2 years.
    I don't care that there are better rewards for harder content or difficulty. I do care if the harder content requires the harder equips to beat or the community becomes so stupid as to require elite equips to run elite. Community has often shown itself full capable of such stupidity.
    But as you often do, you are going from ONE particular topic and linking it to everything you see bad.

    I am all for challenging content, which to me Crucible was not (it was BORING/ANNOYING but not hard or challenging)... I am all for better rewards for higher effort... but I still do not see how any of that has to do with Crucible being optional or required for flagging. I still think flagging in general is a dread.




    And he keeps saying people refused to use the difficulties. I ran it on casual when I just wanted the flag, it's not like most people do the Dragons or Reavers on elite at level anyway, so whatevers... But even on casual, even with experienced people on elite... it was boring. It was annoying. Jumping into a pure pug of it was an exercise in wasting your evening. Or caring/being carried. All in all, MEH. Inferno, or whatever it was called, was a much better example of a maze where at least it was fun, crazy, wild experience and it was a maze.
    Hey Hey, Piker's Fate might suck but the dragons were FUN!!!!



    People will complain. People will refuse to run things. There are plenty of things we complain about over and over and omg fragging over and Turbine does NOTHING about. Complaining isn't what lead to their decision. They observed things and made a decision. And other than you trying to link removing a quest from HAVE-TO-RUN to OPTIONAL-TO-RUN to everything and anything bad in this game, there is NO negative impact.
    The quest could have been nerf-ed to make it more palatable. The quest could have had crappy hand-holding added into it to make it easier. The quest could have been edited for less boredom (I don't see how) for most of the party. The quest could have been revamped entirely, swim removed, etc.
    Instead they just made it optional. And you're crying as if they did ALL of those things to it instead of making it optional.

    And of all quests to cry about... Crucible. There is no skill in cooperation really required in that awful quest. Inferno... there's cooperation and having to think. Dragons, there's skill!
    And that right there, is why most of the new content will be run forward, kill, loot linear dungeons. Give folks anything more where they have to figure stuff out or do anything other than kill mobs, and its labeled "boring". You claim theres no cooperation required? More cooperation is required in crucible than in 95% of the content designed in the past few years, because its all linear run forward and kill stuff. Why? Because the precedent set by those who complain about having to do anything else other than run forward and kill is causing the game to be carebeared, crucibled, and ghostbaned. Dont think of what you need to do to win folks, the solution drops out of every chest now.

    Complaining IS what lead to the decision. He stated people were failing the quest more often, and that is because they refused to use the system already in place, the NHE difficulty system. Groups werent failing often at all on normal before the bravery bonus system was put in, and the XP entitlement based complaining began. The reason why the number of fails ramped up significantly is due to refusal to use the NHE difficulty system already in place due to Xp entitlement.

    As far as dragons being skill? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! 1. build ranged toon. 2. win. dragon AI -vs- a ranged toon is hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    Of the millions of f-ups they have done since MOTU, making a quest optional is hardly the root of all evil. Get a grip.
    Youre only seeing it for its absolute value, one quest moved to the side. Im seeing this situation in its entirety. Making the quest optional is another step in giving in to the mentality that there should never been anything difficult developed for the game again, because if there is, it wont be defeated in game, it will be defeated on the boards by complaining its too hard, its too boring etc. Crucible is but one cog in the gearset of the complaint machine which has cause the easybuttoning of DDO. The only thing im surprised about is that they didnt find a way to charge folks to skip it instead. Oh wait, they did. NM.
    Last edited by Chai; 11-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  17. #97
    Community Member deahamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Youre only seeing it for its absolute value, one quest moved to the side. Im seeing this situation in its entirety. Making the quest optional is another step in giving in to the mentality that there should never been anything difficult developed for the game again, because if there is, it wont be defeated in game, it will be defeated on the boards by complaining its too hard, its too boring etc. Crucible is but one cog in the gearset of the complaint machine which has cause the easybuttoning of DDO. The only thing im surprised about is that they didnt find a way to charge folks to skip it instead. Oh wait, they did. NM.
    If you see this in its entirety than you should already have surmised that the trend towards "less challenging" started a long time ago and it is showing NO sign of abating.

    I wish our complaining would lead to Turbine fixing a myriad of stuff but apparently they only selectively listen. So I personally think complaining about complainers is a mute point. IF you have no pvp in a game, you will see complaining and calling for nerfs. If not nerfs of classes/builds, then nerfs of content.

    Your endless crusade seems pointless. Easy-buttoning started long before Crucible. Of all the things they have done, making quests optional is what I wish they'd do more often than the other stuff.

    Bravery was a stupid idea. It had crazy consequences, but once anyone spending a couple hours on it should have been able to foresee. You make the XP or the loot desirable, people will attempt for it even if not ready. Bravery showed that, EE versions of loot showed that. I'm all for higher pay for harder work, but people are predictable monkeys... you give higher rewards, everyone wants to only run that and eventually everyone whines cause they can't get it. It's human nature. You're battling a beast that cannot be beat.

    Making a quest optional for flagging is the least evil thing I have seen in the past 2 years. And if this whole easy-buttoning of DDO bothers you, you have my sympathies. It is not going to stop. You will continue to suffer.
    Toons on Orien:
    Daemonav Atreides: WF artificer (TR 2/14)////Irullan Atreides: human FvS (TR 2/?!?)////Lorrellei Atreides: human ice/acid sorcerer////Aliademon Atreides: elf PM necro/enchant wizzie (TR 2/8)

  18. #98

    Default

    I'd like to chime in and mention that I find this thread enormously helpful. Threads like this give us the pulse of the community, and help keep us aware of what the current hot button issues are. This does contribute to overall design direction: it absolutely is a goal to reduce "player pain", in whatever form it may take. That doesn't just mean fixing bugs, it also means revisiting and refining the implementation of features, adding content, and allocating development resources to where they can have the most impact.

    If sometimes it seems like developers are silent or not communicating enough, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
    As a rule, individual developers aren't able to comment on systems or content that they aren't working on. We could accidentally give out an misleading or incomplete picture of what's happening with that system, or even worse, could say something that is flat-out wrong.

    This is why (as examples) you may most often see me commenting in threads about enhancement trees, while Vargouille will chime in on threads about Reincarnation.

    Even though a developer may not be able to respond personally to every concern, we do read these threads, and we make every effort to push these issues to the attention of the person who needs to see them.

    At the end of the day, our goal is to make sure that DDO continues to be fun. If we're failing at that, we appreciate that you let us know.

  19. #99
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Turbine already has a difficulty system in place to handle that situation.
    The new flagging quests are working as intended and therefore are right. You cling to working as intended as the ultimate authority in other threads, you don't get to switch standards now that you don't like the choice.

  20. #100
    Hero
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SW United States
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post

    At the end of the day, our goal is to make sure that DDO continues to be fun. If we're failing at that, we appreciate that you let us know.
    In my opinion, your absolutely failing that in regards to the new loot. It's bland and uninspired. You decided to irritate many of the long term players in hope of retaining a relative few that might leave DDO early or would have left anyways. Not a smart idea.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload