Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default Will this forum ever be usable again?

The forum software is still majorly broken:
    1. I won't be getting any email notification that there are replies to this thread. This is the biggest deal-breaker for me. Without this fundamental feature working, I basically can't use the forum.

2. The forum logs me out every day. I use the same PC with the same browser every time I view the forum. Other forums allow me to stay logged in indefinitely (or at least for 1 week+ at a time).

3. Possibly because of #2, the forum fails to show me which threads have new replies since I viewed them and clicking the "Go to the first new post" link for a thread does not work.

Without these features working, I and many others cannot participate in this forum, and the game is suffering for it.

Any plans to fix any of this?
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Backley View Post
    The forum software is still majorly broken:
    1. I won't be getting any email notification that there are replies to this thread. This is the biggest deal-breaker for me. Without this fundamental feature working, I basically can't use the forum.

2. The forum logs me out every day. I use the same PC with the same browser every time I view the forum. Other forums allow me to stay logged in indefinitely (or at least for 1 week+ at a time).

3. Possibly because of #2, the forum fails to show me which threads have new replies since I viewed them and clicking the "Go to the first new post" link for a thread does not work.

Without these features working, I and many others cannot participate in this forum, and the game is suffering for it.

Any plans to fix any of this?
    My ghostbane topic is going swimmingly.

Really? I mean, really? If email notifications are what is ruining the forums, I have been using them wrong for years...if I want email notifications, I just subscribe to the thread...boom, done.

As far as the logging in thing...not that big of a deal. Just log in every day...Your browser should remember your login information, takes about 10-15 seconds. Once you have logged in, it shows if a thread has a new reply. How awesome is that.

At the risk of an infraction, it sounds more like you're being lazy than there are issues. Aside from the color scheme (some like it, some don't, I don't care) most people seem to think the forums have been a non-issue since about August.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Really? I mean, really? If email notifications are what is ruining the forums, I have been using them wrong for years...if I want email notifications, I just subscribe to the thread...boom, done.

As far as the logging in thing...not that big of a deal. Just log in every day...Your browser should remember your login information, takes about 10-15 seconds. Once you have logged in, it shows if a thread has a new reply. How awesome is that.

At the risk of an infraction, it sounds more like you're being lazy than there are issues. Aside from the color scheme (some like it, some don't, I don't care) most people seem to think the forums have been a non-issue since about August.
    1. I do subscribe to threads, and have not received an email notification since the forum update. Are you claiming that it works for you? Last I heard it was acknowledged as non-functional in June:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    As folks have noticed, the notification system is not currently working. We've got a bug entered on it, and the web team will put it on their to-do list. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    2. Even when logged in, the "Go to first new post" and new replies icon does not seem to work (as I just tested with this thread: I was still logged in and the button didn't take me to the first new post, and returning to the forum listing and refreshing the page still showed this thread as having new replies even though I had just viewed it and there were no new replies).
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Nay, the OP is completely correct, the forums are still very "raw" and half of the features are not working properly. Surely, one could "get by", but if this is the "face" of the community, it needs to be better. All the little faults combined leave a poor impression. I've seen other games use the same exact forum template and pull it off much better, so there's certainly room for improvement.

You can also add the "more than half of forum avatars are unavailable" to the list.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

2. Even when logged in, the "Go to first new post" and new replies icon does not seem to work (as I just tested with this thread: I was still logged in and the button didn't take me to the first new post, and returning to the forum listing and refreshing the page still showed this thread as having new replies even though I had just viewed it and there were no new replies).
    I've noticed this. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't remembered that I've already viewed a thread. I haven't been able to figure out what causes it.

Seems usable to me, despite the bugs I encounter from time-to-time. *shrug*
    There is no free lunch.

The forums are broken. A thread not long ago, one of the TR threads I think, had a dev post in which he added an edit saying how he couldn't read text he'd quoted. I commented that he really ought to take that problem to the web-devs and get this whole thing sorted ASAP. Clearly he did not. Apparently it's not a priority. Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

1. I do subscribe to threads, and have not received an email notification since the forum update. Are you claiming that it works for you? Last I heard it was acknowledged as non-functional in June:
    I get several emails a day. Though the queuing seems to be a bit random. I will get notifications of a reply 5 minutes ago then right after it I will get a notification of a reply 2 days ago. I wouldn't call it reliable yet.

My personal annoyance is that I can't read the forums on my phone any more.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

1. I do subscribe to threads, and have not received an email notification since the forum downgrade.
    Fixed.

Honestly I feel your pain. I don't use the email notification, but since they downgraded the Forums they have been a pain to navigate.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

I've started using the forum more often again and started subscribing to threads again. No emails at all.
    Tajawuka 20 Bladeforged Paladin running divine ETR's (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's, 3 martial epl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

I'm curious as to why these forums seem to have such wildly different behaviours for different people. I get emails, don't get auto logged out and so forth. The only real issue I had was the awful colouring in post, but that was fixed via settings very easily.

Is this a browser concern? I primarily use Chromium and occasionally Opera.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    I'm curious as to why these forums seem to have such wildly different behaviours for different people. I get emails, don't get auto logged out and so forth. The only real issue I had was the awful colouring in post, but that was fixed via settings very easily.

Is this a browser concern? I primarily use Chromium and occasionally Opera.
    I use firefox, and am having no problems that i know of. I also use a VERY outdated version of explorer at work, and am only having minor problems with it.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

I honestly believe that Turbine regards the forums as a necessary evil.
    It's a great place to be able to keep all dissension and complaints in one easy to manage/moderate location that is totally under their purview. It is not, however, something to be taken seriously as a tool for gathering feedback, communicating with the player base, nor a prudent expenditure of resources beyond the very bare bones.

I very much think that if Turbine could shutter their forums, and not wind up having the gaming-press ask questions about the whys of the matter and/or not look bad in the process, they would in a heartbeat.

I don't expect the forums to be fully-functional anytime soon.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

[QUOTE=Backley;5157920]2. The forum logs me out every day. I use the same PC with the same browser every time I view the forum. Other forums allow me to stay logged in indefinitely (or at least for 1 week+ at a time).

QUOTE]

This drives me absolutely nuts! For me I have to relog every time I close my browser. How do we NOT have a "auto login" feature?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I honestly believe that Turbine regards the forums as a necessary evil.
    It's a great place to be able to keep all dissension and complaints in one easy to manage/moderate location that is totally under their purview. It is not, however, something to be taken seriously as a tool for gathering feedback, communicating with the player base, nor a prudent expenditure of resources beyond the very bare bones.

I very much think that if Turbine could shutter their forums, and not wind up having the gaming-press ask questions about the whys of the matter and/or not look bad in the process, they would in a heartbeat.

I don't expect the forums to be fully-functional anytime soon.
    Or they could just drop more ghostbane which is all anyone wants

Well, they are much better than they were ... but still problems, that's for sure.

Just typing this is painful as I am typing Black characters onto a slightly less black background. Is there a way to change that I am not aware of? Maybe it's just my slight colour blindness, but I have to type pretty much blind and then see what it looks like when I hit the 'Preview Post' button which changes the slightly less black background to white thus allowing me to read what I typed.

And what about 'Editing' a post? There is an 'Edit' button but I can never get it to work.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I set my forums to subscribe to each thread I posted in.
    I hate e mail spam, so I set my subs to be shown in user CP only (now called settings).
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cap_Man View Post
    Well, they are much better than they were ... but still problems, that's for sure.

Just typing this is painful as I am typing Black characters onto a slightly less black background. Is there a way to change that I am not aware of? Maybe it's just my slight colour blindness, but I have to type pretty much blind and then see what it looks like when I hit the 'Preview Post' button which changes the slightly less black background to white thus allowing me to read what I typed.

And what about 'Editing' a post? There is an 'Edit' button but I can never get it to work.
    As far as I can remember I have never changed any settings on my forum account and I am typing black characters onto a white background. Also when I hit the edit button it always works though the 'Go Advanced' button always has me slightly worried. I am very computer illiterate, so when I preview a post and it actually looks like I wanted it to I am pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's a browser thing, I use Safari but on a Windows PC, I have never tried to post using any other browser.
    Never underestimate the power of Chocolate!
    Spiritfires, Spiritryder, Spiritbasher, Spirittanker, Spiritlite and Spiritwarper
    House Xorlarrin Sarlona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast