Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Community Member Steevye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    85

    Default Epic Elyd Edge -- Shard/Seal drops

    I've been farming epic Sentinels for over a year now, sometimes 4-5x a day, sometimes only 1-2x a week. Either way, I've completed just the epic chain so many times I should have mathematically seen either a shard or a seal drop by now, but of all my runs, I've landed 2 total shards, neither of which were the Edge's.

    Anyone with the weapon or with Sentinels experience care to chime in a let me know if this is totally a waste of time anymore? I'm frankly sick of killing high HP pirate zombies...
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

  2. #2
    Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Krelar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steevye View Post
    I've been farming epic Sentinels for over a year now, sometimes 4-5x a day, sometimes only 1-2x a week. Either way, I've completed just the epic chain so many times I should have mathematically seen either a shard or a seal drop by now, but of all my runs, I've landed 2 total shards, neither of which were the Edge's.

    Anyone with the weapon or with Sentinels experience care to chime in a let me know if this is totally a waste of time anymore? I'm frankly sick of killing high HP pirate zombies...
    I've gotten at least 6 shards out of there including Elyd Edge since MoTU was released (Almost never ran epics before that). Farmed it a little bit to get my midnight greetings but for the most part just ran it occasionally when I felt like it or when a guildie was trying to pull something. So basically you have bad luck.

  3. #3
    Community Member Stoner81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    Managed to pull a few shards but none yet for what I am actually after (EMG), I had a similar issue with the AGA shard too took me forever to get it and even then a guildie pulled it and passed it to me, since that happened the next 3 runs I did I pulled the damn thing!

    I swear this game hates me personally or something.

    Stoner81.

  4. #4
    Community Member Steevye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I swear this specific chain hates me personally. I also now dislike the chain simply because it's become a grind search for two items that have a low % of achieving...oh well, I'm too stubborn to just give up and even though it's not the absolutely ideal weapon of choice these days, I want one to have one and to at least be able to try, so I can say whether it's remotely worth it at all for my main toon.

    Til then I guess I'm stuck running motu daggers and oathblades....*sigh*
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

  5. #5
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,917

    Default

    The shards drop only in the endchest. The seals everywhere else. Ive been farming for a epic midnight greeting and was just able to make it the other day. I have everything I need save for the shard for the elyd edge. I put TTT on my daily run list so I hit it up once per toon I want to play that day for XP.

    Best way to farm shards is to put up the LFM after you get to the boss but havent killed it yet. Include in the LFM that you need the shard of the elyd edge passed, and that you will pass other stuff if needed. Youll get people farming the bastard sword, kukri, and jidz bracer joining who will pass it to you.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  6. #6
    Community Member Steevye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The shards drop only in the endchest. The seals everywhere else. Ive been farming for a epic midnight greeting and was just able to make it the other day. I have everything I need save for the shard for the elyd edge. I put TTT on my daily run list so I hit it up once per toon I want to play that day for XP.

    Best way to farm shards is to put up the LFM after you get to the boss but havent killed it yet. Include in the LFM that you need the shard of the elyd edge passed, and that you will pass other stuff if needed. Youll get people farming the bastard sword, kukri, and jidz bracer joining who will pass it to you.
    Thanks for the tip. I ran the chain twice this week (once daily as usual) and nothing again. Scrolls drop like mad though when you kill monsters...I'm pretty well stocked on those...
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

  7. #7
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    I swear this chain has an individual prejudice. I'm rich with things I don't need and still hunt for things on occasion I'd like.

    The nice thing about this chain's epic loot is that a few of them give pretty unique bonuses - and those make them relevant still for niche use.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  8. #8
    Community Member Steevye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I swear this chain has an individual prejudice. I'm rich with things I don't need and still hunt for things on occasion I'd like.

    The nice thing about this chain's epic loot is that a few of them give pretty unique bonuses - and those make them relevant still for niche use.
    Like Chimera's Crown (or the aforementioned Midnight Greetings)? Yes, they are unique...Elyd Edge is too...

    *Sigh* I'm going back to grinding it because it just looks so cool...but I really hate pirates now. I definitely am skipping the next Cove...
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

  9. #9
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steevye View Post
    Like Chimera's Crown (or the aforementioned Midnight Greetings)? Yes, they are unique...Elyd Edge is too...

    *Sigh* I'm going back to grinding it because it just looks so cool...but I really hate pirates now. I definitely am skipping the next Cove...
    What server are you on?

    I'm about to get ready for a TR and need tokens - I could put TTT on some of my daily run lists for my few remaining epic characters.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  10. #10
    Community Member Steevye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    What server are you on?

    I'm about to get ready for a TR and need tokens - I could put TTT on some of my daily run lists for my few remaining epic characters.
    Cannith. It's where my client defaulted to 4 years ago and it's where I just made my home for the long haul.
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

  11. #11
    Community Member niehues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    (Ghallanda)
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steevye View Post
    Like Chimera's Crown (or the aforementioned Midnight Greetings)? Yes, they are unique...Elyd Edge is too...

    *Sigh* I'm going back to grinding it because it just looks so cool...but I really hate pirates now. I definitely am skipping the next Cove...
    They are undead Pirates..... so...... GHOSTBANE!

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    just got started on the EMG grind. i've jumped on a few farming LFM's, so they obviously work. but why wait until it's all clear before putting your own one up? why not put a farming one up letting people know you are clearing, then just update it when it's time for the boss fight?
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I'm working on getting the EMG myself. I can say that shards (for everything) only drop in the end chest of Tide Turns, and nowhere else. With a little research I learned that the seal for EMG only drops in Bargain of Blood and maybe Spies in the House. I read somewhere that no seals at all drop in the Black Loch. Using this info, I've been doing BoB and TTT once a day every day. Been at it maybe two weeks now. It seems to be working. I have the scroll and got the seal I needed from BoB end chest today. I've seen around 6 shards from TTT, although I only pulled two myself, including Elyd Edge. Haven't seen shard yet, but I think I will soon. Seals seem to be more rare than shards. Only seen 2 or so in BoB. It was dumb luck that one was what I wanted. It may be a good idea to concentrate your efforts on one or two quests so you don't go crazy, rather than ripping through the whole chain every day until you start hating the pack. Have you considered also that maybe you're doing it too much and making the loot level drop? I don't know if there's anything to this, but it makes sense to me that shards and seals would be level 20 loot. If you've looted the same chest enough that the level of treasure has dropped to level 19 (The level of loot drops before becoming ransacked), it may not pop any ingredients for you. Just an idea. Like I said, don't know if there's anything to it.

  14. #14
    Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    2,614

    Default 1 shard

    I've got 1 shard for the Chimera's Crown. I've been farming Tide Turns on EE and it dropped in the end chest. However, I'm looking for the Fang shard. I've run it so many times. I get lots of scrolls on EE Tide Turns and some seals, but just the 1 shard :/

  15. #15
    Community Member FestusHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,047

    Default

    I had a crazy idea. I know they (Turbine) are planning to make more things for people to spend commendations of valor on. How about shard and seal exchanges?

    Say, 250 comms of valor allows a 1-1 trade. For all shards and seals within the same pack, in every pack that has them.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I had a crazy idea. I know they (Turbine) are planning to make more things for people to spend commendations of valor on. How about shard and seal exchanges?

    Say, 250 comms of valor allows a 1-1 trade. For all shards and seals within the same pack, in every pack that has them.
    This sounds like an amazing idea...

  17. #17
    Hero LOOON375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Argo
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    When Im looking for it, I can't get anything to drop. I always get stuff to drop that Im not looking for.

    I never purposely farmed the elyde edge. But was able to craft two after running the content over the last two years. I had the ingredients before I made my current bard.

    Currently, Im looking to make an EAGA for my Eldritch Knight that im currently playing. Im just missing the shard. I refuse to just farm for the shard. I can't stand farming. Ill just run the quest occasionally on one of me 7 capped toons until it drops.

    After farming for my first EAGA, which took me 6 months, I will never purposely farm for another piece of gear. Especially the old shard/scroll content.

    Good luck
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

  18. #18
    Hero LordPiglet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CJK5H
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I had a crazy idea. I know they (Turbine) are planning to make more things for people to spend commendations of valor on. How about shard and seal exchanges?

    Say, 250 comms of valor allows a 1-1 trade. For all shards and seals within the same pack, in every pack that has them.
    That's pretty good, although I think that Raid items, or super rares (Spell Storing Ring) should have a high exchange rate).
    Arrael - Tempest/Kensai; Alyesia - Exploiter Build; Porksoda - WF FvS; Kaealla - Paladin; Arodeth - Envoker FvS

  19. #19
    Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    431

    Default I like it!

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I had a crazy idea. I know they (Turbine) are planning to make more things for people to spend commendations of valor on. How about shard and seal exchanges?

    Say, 250 comms of valor allows a 1-1 trade. For all shards and seals within the same pack, in every pack that has them.
    Woot, great idea!
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

  20. #20
    Community Member Steevye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wierdattacx View Post
    Have you considered also that maybe you're doing it too much and making the loot level drop? I don't know if there's anything to this, but it makes sense to me that shards and seals would be level 20 loot. If you've looted the same chest enough that the level of treasure has dropped to level 19 (The level of loot drops before becoming ransacked), it may not pop any ingredients for you. Just an idea. Like I said, don't know if there's anything to it.
    Honestly, I've never run any quest in the chain more than twice a day (haven't needed to), knowing that the ransack would significantly lower my chances and therefore waste my time past the 3rd run. I've had a few seals drop and only one shard (chimera's crown, which honestly looks pretty great for anyone who's using the dragonmark feat). Still nothing but 5 elyd edge scrolls, but scrolls drop at such a high rate I end up posting most of them on the AH for cheap for those who really need them (in case their drops do not mirror mine, in other words).

    I'll keep trying, but I've given up hope. Now I just do it to say I'm doing it, but there's no value in running a capped character on this chain since it's really no longer fun to do so.
    “Bodies wear out to remind us they are temporary, and force us to spend more thought on our spirits”
    ? Morgan Llywelyn, Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload