Community Member

Default Any hirelings that can cure negative affects?

Hi

I am running Tomb of the Shadow King on normal with my rogue as we speak. My STR and CON have been damaged significantly. I notice they get better over time (slowly) but my attack speed is extremely slow and I can't pick anything up with 2 STR. Are there any spells that any hireling can cast on me to remove this? I saw some cleric ones that can do restoration and dispel magic but I wasn't sure if that would do the trick. Thanks for any answers.

Also, I am new to DDO (about a week), so please excuse me if the answer is obvious.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sayan View Post
    Hi

I am running Tomb of the Shadow King on normal with my rogue as we speak. My STR and CON have been damaged significantly. I notice they get better over time (slowly) but my attack speed is extremely slow and I can't pick anything up with 2 STR. Are there any spells that any hireling can cast on me to remove this? I saw some cleric ones that can do restoration and dispel magic but I wasn't sure if that would do the trick. Thanks for any answers.

Also, I am new to DDO (about a week), so please excuse me if the answer is obvious.
    Yes.
    If you find a hire with Deathward (there are few, it should not be a problem), that spell can prevent stat damage from happening in the first place.

Also, any hireling with any form of restoration spell (scales from lesser to greater) can remove stat damage.

Welcome to the game and enjoy your stay! Anything else we can help you with?

Community Member

Thank you for the response; I am going to get one with restoration, didn't see any around my level (9) with deathward. I have many questions.... I've spent more time on the wiki and forums so far than playing the game.

Just a few for now..

Is general/advice chat not global? Out at Necropolis I don't see anybody using the channels and when I asked the same question I posted here on the forums nobody responded.

Are any of the hirelings good for rounding up mobs and holding aggro without dying easily? So far I have mostly used the cleric because I need heals, but as a rogue who solo's I don't get to sneak attack as often as I'd like this way. I have done a fair bit of grouping and would prefer it but that kind of ties back in to the chat thing. I put my group on the social list (I think).

I do enjoy longer, more epic feeling dungeons like the chain I am doing now (Litany of the dead) but I also would like to speed up my leveling from time to time and don't mind buying an XP elixer and spamming the same dungeon repeatedly to jump up faster. Any suggestions on dungeons like this (similar to kobold assault or a few others I've done that with).

edit: Also... since gold seal hirelings can be 2 levels higher than me can they also effect XP from dungeons? ex. I am level 8, going into a level 7 dungeon, and the XP will still be 100%. But what if I then call a level 9 or 10 hireling?
    Last edited by sayan; 11-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Is [//advice chat not global? Out at Necropolis I don't see anybody using the channels and when I asked the same question I posted here on the forums nobody responded.
    They're not global, each public zone has a separate advice channel.

Are any of the hirelings good for rounding up mobs and holding aggro without dying easily? So far I have mostly used the cleric because I need heals, but as a rogue who solo's I don't get to sneak attack as often as I'd like this way. I have done a fair bit of grouping and would prefer it but that kind of ties back in to the chat thing. I put my group on the social list (I think).
    Hireling AI being as horrible as it is makes relying on them for aggro management difficult. I think around level 15 there's a FvS named Larafay or something who is one of the few decent hires - long as her sp holds out she will destruct and commetfall clear entire rooms. She also is relatively timely with heals. Until

then? Think you got your work cut out for you. Try deception weapons, even better an item with the effect on it to give you a chance to make them susceptible to your sneak attack. Bluff is also useful but long cool down so not something can rely solely on.

I do enjoy longer, more epic feeling dungeons like the chain I am doing now (Litany of the dead) but I also would like to speed up my leveling from time to time and don't mind buying an XP elixer and spamming the same dungeon repeatedly to jump up faster. Any suggestions on dungeons like this (similar to kobold assault or a few others I've done that with).
    At level 8 there are a few quests with high XP/min but many of them depend on knowing the quest and ability to zerg. Tear of Dhakaan and Delera's Pt2 (Missing Party IIRC) are my goto farm quests at that level.

edit: Also... since gold seal hirelings can be 2 levels higher than me can they also effect XP from dungeons? ex. I am level 8, going into a level 7 dungeon, and the XP will still be 100%. But what if I then call a level 9 or 10 hireling?
    Yes for XP purposes they count as a party member so they can disrupt bravery bonus and incur over level penalties in a quest. In above example, a level 9 hiring in a level 7 quest will reduce XP by 10% (manageable IMO depending on quest) and a lvl10 will reduce it by 25% (pretty hefty penalty but maybe worth while if the hireling has a key spell/buff)

Lastly, Tangleroot series has the Visor of Fleshrender Guard which is a deathward clickie as a chain end reward. The beginning quests are low level but the later ones are right at your level (assuming you are level 8). They're BtA so another option is to blast through on casual with a high level for end reward list. Remember every 3rd completion has the full list of all named items in case you get boned on previous runs.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Community Member

I'll just add a few points:

Much of the ability damage you're seeing comes from undead that drain on-hit (shadows drain strength, etc), but some of it may be from Phase Spider poison, or casters using the Poison spell. You can buy potions of Neutralize Poison to prevent/remove poison.

Also, potions of Lesser Restoration can remove (a few points of) ability damage from undead, poison, or other sources. They'll also remove those pesky Ray of Enfeeblements from you, which can also be a huge hit to strength. I always carry a large supply of these potions, since they're so useful to have.

For useful hirelings, check out Warforged arcane casters. They can Repair themselves and cast useful offensive spells, but they tend to be a bit squishy, and they can't heal you. But they can distract a small group of enemies while you take everything out. Bards can be another nice choice, since they offer so many useful buffs, and can heal themselves a bit.

Community Member

Looks like you're doing Necro 2... Note that the casters in there tend to spam dispel, which, if you're solo, means that your Deathward and other important buffs will tend to expire really quickly. Something I haven't seen other posters address yet: since you're fighting undead, it won't matter too much whether or not someone else has aggro. They will tend to resist your sneak attack damage due to innate fortification.

Your best bet to make things easy is to form a group. (Forming a group itself may be difficult depending on what server you're on.) Clerics (Radiant Burst) and arcanes (fireball/firewall) make early undead quests really easy.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Is general/advice chat not global? Out at Necropolis I don't see anybody using the channels and when I asked the same question I posted here on the forums nobody responded.

I don't know on which server you are, but there should be at least one global UserChannel on every server. Just ask other players to get the exact name.

If you have enough points spent in Use Magic Device (UMD) you can use scrolls and wands to heal your Hire. The Fighters, Barbarians and Paladins mostly are very durable and those with twohanders do good damage too. It'd be all about keeping them alive. Otherwise take a Cleric or Favored Soul. Another possibility would be to splash some Cleric class Levels to get access to the heal and restore spells, but this would be a fundamental decision regarding your build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    Yes.
    If you find a hire with Deathward (there are few, it should not be a problem), that spell can prevent stat damage from happening in the first place.

Also, any hireling with any form of restoration spell (scales from lesser to greater) can remove stat damage.

Welcome to the game and enjoy your stay! Anything else we can help you with?
    I took a quick look, and the lowest level hireling that had death ward was level 13. I just ran necro 2 at level 10, so I brought along a hireling that had Restoration instead. As mentioned above, dispels get thrown left and right, so death ward isn't as helpful since it doesn't last very long.