Question Equipment ideas?

I am having a hard time designing an equipment load out for my monk.

• I feel like Epic Jidz-Tetka is pretty necessary for the unarmed die advance
    • I feel like Epic Brawling Gloves are pretty necessary for the extra unarmed piercing damage
    • I feel like the two ToD sets I am wearing, Shintao and Frenzied Berzerker, are necessary for the damage adds and for the Holy Burst and Shocking Burst I put on the rings
    • I feel like the Concordant Opp +45 hitpoints cloak I am wearing is necessary for the hit points

That only leaves me with handwraps, armor, head, boots, and trinket slots

But I feel like I am running around high level epics with a bunch of level 18 loot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jidz-Tekka is not the only source of unarmed damage increase. I recommend a Spider-spun Caparison. It not only handles damage increase (without being dependent on stance), but also gives concentration, toughness, enhanced Ki, 6 resistance (which isn't as good as it once was) and if you're luck +3 insightful Wis.

Brawlers are nice, but I don't think they are best in slot when in the most difficult content. +2.5 damage is OK and all, but can't really hold a candle to 30% Healing amp. I recommend PDK gloves. In easier content, use the brawlers for faster completion.

While holy burst is a good chunk of damage, the damage from shocking burst is less than the damage you gain from the ManSlayer of Ring of the Stalker. And in addition to that manslayer, you get (with a fully upgraded ring) +3 exceptional sneak, Ghostly (which is huge), 6 seeker and 2 slots.

+45 HPs is still solid. ConOpp isn't as good as it once was, as you'll want more than +6 wis, but may not be worth recrafting a Min II or Smoke II version.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    ... some very welcome advice ...
    Thanks Raoull! Anyone else?

Oh wait, I should ask DDOGamer.

2015 DDO Players Council Jevern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post
    Thanks Raoull! Anyone else?

Oh wait, I should ask DDOGamer.
    The thing about monks is that now there are really a lot of things to fit on them. They have four stats you want to pump (Str, Con, Dex, Wis), stunning *and* shatter tactics (SF and QP), unarmed damage dice, and then everything else that every other melee wants to get (seeker, deadly, sneak attack etc).

On your equipment, I do think Jidz Tetka is outclassed, as one unarmed die step plus one or two slots simply isn't really worth the equipment slot for me any more. ToD rings I am undecided on, but I certainly would not devote two slots to burst effects. One at most. Again, it all comes down to 'one burst effect and maybe +1 exceptional something is not worth one equipment slot, and a set bonus isnt worth two' for me. I am struggling to let go of my shintao set as well. But in the end, I think it has to go. Brawling Gloves... Again, very nice, but I think there are better options. PDK is solid.

My monk is currently 20 monk, but I have plans to LR her to a 18 monk/1 druid/1 rog. My current ideal equipment list is as follows:

Helm: Black dragon helm (str 8, blue slot: +40 false life, colourless slot: wis 8)
    Necklace: Deadly X of resistance IX (or whatever is the best I can find at L28 here)
    Goggles: Intricate Field Optics (insightful wis +3, green slot: spare slot, colourless slot: globe of true imperial blood)
    Cloak: Greensteel +45 hp (Min II - heavy fort)
    Body: Black Dragonscale (Set bonus, blue slot: GL +2)
    Belt: Epic Spare Hand (6% doublestrike, Combat Mastery +5, UMD +3, blue slot: 16 PRR, colourless slot: vitality +20)
    Bracers: Greater convalescent of Superior Parrying
    Ring: Seal of House Avithoul (ins dex +2, SA +5, exc SA +3)
    Ring: Seal of House Dun Robar (ins con +2, shatter +10, dodge +8%)
    Gloves: EE Nether Grasps ( -20% threat, 2 profane str, seeker +10)
    Boots: Halcyon Boots (80 potency, 30% striding, 8 dex, yellow slot: 200 sp, colourless slot: con +8)
    Trinket: +3 ins str planar focus

My main weapon's an upgraded antipode (stunning 10) with one of the mabar neg level augments. I obviously don't have all this gear yet and it's probably going to take some gringing to get there, but overall, I feel like the losses from what you mentioned (unarmed die step, burst effects, 1d4 unarmed) are more than offset by what I gain (+12 or so SA, +1 dmg from profane str, seeker 10, shatter for QP, dodge, +4 to saves, 30% heal amp).

I don't know that this is the ideal gearset, but it's the best I could come up with after looking at maybe a dozen different equipment sets. I'm curious to see what others think.
    Jassial - 18 Druid/2 Monk

Also: ~Jetel ~ Jessoliel ~ Jevern ~ Jemerial ~ Jedriel ~ Jevern ~
    Proud member of Crimson Eagles

2015 DDO Players Council Jevern's Avatar

So the forums won't let me edit my last post. Oh well.

On general 'good to use items for monks', I definitely think tactics stuff is up there. Stunning and Shattering. Arkat's Cord (Vitality 20, reinforced fists, two slots) is a decent choice that isn't fighting with too many items. I think Spare Hand is the main contender by combat mastery +5 can be found in the ring and cloak slots. Shadowsight's good for some extra wis. Dodge items are great - you can get up pretty high with a monk. Cannith Challenge items are still surprisingly good for slot consolidation, I feel.
    Jassial - 18 Druid/2 Monk

Also: ~Jetel ~ Jessoliel ~ Jevern ~ Jemerial ~ Jedriel ~ Jevern ~
    Proud member of Crimson Eagles

Gearing a monk is pretty complicated now days and it depends a lot on what you have, what you are willing to farm and how you play your monk.

A few things that most of my monks build around:

Ring 1: Epic Ring of the Stalker/Holy Burst TOD ring(only when manslayer and ghostly don't apply)
    Ring 2: Seal of Dun Robar with Shatter 10 (+10 to quivering palm)

One of: Combat Master Cloak from Eveningstar Challenges / Seal of Dun Robar with Combat Mastery / Epic Spare Hand

PDK Gloves

Insightful 3 Wis Caparison (wish my WF monk had an equivalent) / Dragon Touched amp/amp/xxx for when amp matters the most

Random Lootgen Deadly and Resistance items (preferably one item)

Grave Wraps
    Antipodes
    Random Lootgen XXX of Deception V wraps (for soloing bosses and only if you have decent sneak damage)

Greensteel Hit Point Smoke Item

Goatskin boots are also nice if you have room for them and are above the min level.

On light monks I also slot spell points in a yellow slot and devotion in the trinket as a swap item

Once these items are slotted, I fill in around them with whatever fits leaning towards anything with Green/Blue slots to add flexibility.

Community Member inspiredunease's Avatar

This is what I currently have:

Helm: Min II Greensteel
    Armor: Flawless Black Dragonscale Robe (slotted 16 PRR)
    Neck: Jorgundal's Collar EH (slotted with 250 sp and + 8 dex)
    Cloak: Lootgen Deadly X Accuracy IX
    Trinket: EH Shamanic Fetish (slotted with true globe (for some reason these got really cheap *wink*))
    Goggles: Lootgen Wisdom 10 resist 10
    Bracers: Sun soul (pretty much just for the parrying)
    Gloves: PDK
    Belt: Arkat's EH (slotted +8 con, +2 ins wis)
    Boots: Fortifying of false life +50
    Ring1: Dun'Robar +10 shatter + 2 ins strength
    Ring2: Consuming darkness (epic + 2 ins wis)
    Wraps: Various including Grave Wraps, EE adamantine knuckles (slotted good/acid/light), Wraps of endless light

This is my current dream loadout:

Helm: Helm of the Black Dragon EE (+3 dex, slotted with good luck and Deathblock)
    Armor: Flawless Black Dragonscale Robe (slotted 16 PRR)
    Neck: GS HP
    Cloak: Deadly XI Resist X
    Trinket: Planar focus of prowess (+3 insightful con)
    Goggles: EE Shadowsight (False life 40)
    Bracers: Convalescant Bracers of Parrying
    Gloves: EE Backstabbers (slotted +8 con)
    Belt: skulldiggery kit (10% dodge bonus, slotted +8 strength)
    Boots: Goatskin boots EE (fortification 115%)
    Ring1: Dun'Robar +10 shatter + 2 ins strength
    Ring2: Consuming darkness EE (+2 ins wisdom)
    Wraps: antipode slotted devotion

There are a lot of ways of building, but I'd agree with all the above posters that tactics DCs are a must, and getting your resistance as high as possible is also huge in EEs. You really really need to shoot for 60+ on reflex. Higher is of course better. PRR is awesome, you should also have as many displace clickies as your sweaty little hands can grasp

Community Member

• I feel like Epic Brawling Gloves are pretty necessary for the extra unarmed piercing damage
    • I feel like the two ToD sets I am wearing, Shintao and Frenzied Berzerker, are necessary for the damage adds and for the Holy Burst and Shocking Burst I put on the rings
    • I feel like the Concordant Opp +45 hitpoints cloak I am wearing is necessary for the hit points

But I feel like I am running around high level epics with a bunch of level 18 loot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Helm: Helm of the Black Dragon EE +3 str -globe of imperial blood, prr + 16-
    Armor: +3 insightful wisdom spider spun caparison (Flawless Black Dragonscale Robe for red nameds/raid bosses where you will generate enough ki without spider spun - without spider spun you fail to keep enough ki to quivering palm, stunning fist constantly)
    Neck: GS HP - min 2
    Cloak: Deadly XI Resist X
    Trinket: Planar focus of prowess, +3 con
    Goggles: EE Shadowsight - 40 hp
    Bracers: Convalescant Bracers of Parrying
    Gloves: EE Backstabbers - dex 8
    Belt: epic spare hand - Con 8 can be slotted, good luck +2 -
    Boots: str 10 seeker 10 shoes
    Ring1: Dun'Robar +10 shatter - con 2
    Ring2: Holy burst tod ring
    Wraps: antipode

You can dump the shocking burst ring. Holy burst is also a sort of a swappable item. I only wear mine now when I need to break DR with wraps. That should free up one ring for sure and you can use the holy burst ring as a swappable spot for deadly and deception

I think you can drop the brawling gloves too. If you need pierce to bypass DR use Shortswords.

Do you have your grave wraps?

Slot combat mastery somewhere too if you havent already.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

I got nuthin'.

Seriously, in addition to what others have suggested, I recommend a re-look at the Way of the Sun Soul set. It's like the "super-Jidz Tetka" in the effects you can use in Epic mode. In addition to increasing your W, there's the special effects that proc rather often to protect you.

The personal favorite comes when using the set in Fire stance. On a critical, it throws a Restoration and Cure Moderate Wounds effect on you--perfect to remove your own negative levels without skipping a beat--er, punch.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    You can dump the shocking burst ring. Holy burst is also a sort of a swappable item. I only wear mine now when I need to break DR with wraps. That should free up one ring for sure and you can use the holy burst ring as a swappable spot for deadly and deception

I think you can drop the brawling gloves too. If you need pierce to bypass DR use Shortswords.

Do you have your grave wraps?

Slot combat mastery somewhere too if you havent already.
    Use the Shocking Burst ring situationally, like against Harry in the Shroud, who is vulnerable.

I'd recommend the Purple Dragon Gauntlets for STR and 30% healing amp.

Get the Epic Feat, Vorpal Strikes, and your unarmed attacks get slashing damage. You need 23 natural WIS (points and tomes).

And get your Grave Wrappings!
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Smile Thanks all for the pointers!

There are a couple of suggestions that lead me to a stacking question: what stacks with Blur and Disability? I think Ghostly does but Smoke II does not? Anyone know for sure?

Meanwhile, thanks again and please feel encouraged to keep the ideas coming!

There are a couple of suggestions that lead me to a stacking question: what stacks with Blur and Disability? I think Ghostly does but Smoke II does not? Anyone know for sure?

Meanwhile, thanks again and please feel encouraged to keep the ideas coming!
    DDO Wiki's article on Miss Chance should clear that up for you.

Ghostly is light incorporealiity, a miss chance. Ninja Spies, Shadowdancers and Pale Masters are the best at it with 25% or more.

Concealment includes Blur, Dusk and Displacement

Only the highest form applies. Dusk is overwritten by Blur. Ghostly by Shadow Veil, etc.

Not sure what "disability" is. My imagination shows a halfling with palsy skipping through a dungeon and monsters ignoring him...

Green Steel Smoke is 20% concealment just like Blur. It is not the same name as blur so when a caster hands out blur you will still see the graphics on your character that shows you as being blurred. However the effect is still perma-blur at 20% concealment I have a character with a smoke item (not my monk) and just stopped telling people that I dont need blur. The nice thing about smoke is you get the displacement clicky. You will want at least 2 clickies or scrolls if you don't mind the short duration.

Ghostly stacks with concealment. So its nice to always have both equipped at all times. For my monk I use the epic bracers of wind and a set of EH treads. My neck spot is where I swap in to do displacement clickies... Not sure why that matters but I am telling the forum anyway.

Shadow fade is nice but when you are out of Ki those clickies rock. Stay hard to hit and stun away
    Last edited by Atremus; 11-04-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Not sure what "disability" is. My imagination shows a halfling with palsy skipping through a dungeon and monsters ignoring him...
    Nice. But sadly I meant only the much more mundane Displacement. The only disability involved is my lack of buttoneering skills.

Community Member inspiredunease's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    Armor: +3 insightful wisdom spider spun caparison (Flawless Black Dragonscale Robe for red nameds/raid bosses where you will generate enough ki without spider spun - without spider spun you fail to keep enough ki to quivering palm, stunning fist constantly)
    Nod, should have noted this. Not so worried about it when running in GMoF due to enlightenment, but I also carry an Oremi's necklace that can be swapped in and out as needed for when blitzing. I would like to pick up an alchemist's pendant, and would almost consider simply swapping out the Min II necklace for it as you're essentially only losing 25 hp.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Interesting. Lets start from the top:

- No, not significantly. As Reinforced Fists is the same bonus and does not stack with this effect. It also limits you to Earth Stance only, IIRC. Which is not a bad thing (Crit Multiplier & PRR), but then there are times/builds out there that prefer Air & Water stances. I've yet to see a build go for Fire exlcusively.

- It's an extra 2.5 damage per strike on average. That's not really that significant, and does not factor into your Critical Damage either. You'd be better off shooting for the Artifact damage bonus from Sun Soul set or even Antipode & and a Planar Focus of Prowess - More Damage per strike, more damage on Criticals, and more PRR. Giving up those Brawling Gloves also lets you go for PDK Glives instead - 30% Heal Amp simply can't be argued with.

• I feel like the two ToD sets I am wearing, Shintao and Frenzied Berzerker, are necessary for the damage adds and for the Holy Burst and Shocking Burst I put on the rings.

- Interestingly, and as an addendum to the previous point, you could replace all three sources of bonus damage with a single Deadly item off the AH. Also, personally, I find a Seal of Avithoul fits onto pretty much any Monk build - +13 Sneak Damage *AND* Improved Deception procs to get auto sneak attacks even if your not stunning, means you'll do more damage.

Holy Burst is still nice for the extra 2D6, so a ToD ring is usual on my Unarmed Monk builds, but only for the laziness that is a Good DR breaking.

So a Deadly +10 Item, a Seal of Avithoul and a Planar Focus of Prowess set nets you a total +27 Damage per strike. That's a fair bit more than the 6.5 Avg Damage per strike from Frenzied, Shintao and Brawling Gloves, and +7 Holy Burst Avg and +3.5 Shocking Burst Avg from the Ring effects. Not to mention that +14 new Damage will multiply on Critical hits.

Freeing up your Necklace and Belt slots could also mean a Wisdom +10 item and a Constitution +10 Item.

- Greensteel HP items are still solid, as there bonus effect is very hard to replicate on other gear. And hopefully, that could be a Exc Cha Skills +6 item too, meaning that high UMD scores are that much easier to obtain.

Unfortunately for me, fitting in GS HP items are becoming much, much harder for me. I'm finding there's plenty of other gear I want first. For example, I love the Adamantium Bear Cloak, for Exc Combat Mastery +6. +6DC on Quivering Palm is huge, if your in the ballpark area where its going to work on the Mobs and Difficulties you play against. And since +1DC is effectively another 5% chance for my auto-kill to work, its a best-in-slot over say the Epic Spare Hand.

Just some thoughts
    Last edited by Arlathen; 11-11-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Formatting
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.