Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    Ha, whatever. I have no need to admit I am wrong cause that is the run that I had. I am not a trophy collector so had no need to take a screen shot.

Believe me or don't, I don't care.

I had since spent time over 20 and so didn't bother trying to recreate focusing on getting my ETR out of the way. I was going to give it another go for a screen shot as I was leveling up. However, now I really don't care to prove to you or anyone about it.

In Picture Portals almost all my runs at higher levels are just 2 staring the challenge. I often am not able to get all doors open when soloing, and usually run out of time killing at least one boss. So technically that is 2 starring (no teleporters are used) but that is not enough for star 3 and 4. But my score is high enough that I always get over 600 mats, and that after noon I had over 800. And yes I was running underleveled.

I do know that I have quite a few folks who have kept tabs on me to see when I run challenges cause they like the pulls they get when they run with me.
    Then dont write you gonna post ss when you wont.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Why? What's the point? So I can demonstrate to ONE person too lazy to read the star objectives what the star objectives are?

You cant get 800+ ings with 1 star, thats my point, two of you are writing that you can but provide no evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    You cant get 800+ ings with 1 star, thats my point, two of you are writing that you can but provide no evidence.
    Geez, two against one, seems the odds are against you.

Just because you can't doesn't mean it is not possible.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Just because you write you can doesnt mean its possible, you claim something but provide no evidence, seems like you are spreading a lie.

Of course you can. It's ridiculous to think you can't.

Tell you what: I'll get you your precious screenshot if you agree to add "I'm an idiot" to your signature for a year. And no, not "Ellisdee37 is an idiot", I mean the literal "I'm an idiot."

Ok.

It's very possible to get high ingredient payouts without getting many stars. All of the mansion challenges have opening all the doors, and killing all the bosses as star objectives.

This means you can open all doors but one, kill all bosses but one, end up with a huge score, but only 2 stars.

In all of the other challenges, getting more stars is absolutely counter to producing more mats.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    It's very possible to get high ingredient payouts without getting many stars. All of the mansion challenges have opening all the doors, and killing all the bosses as star objectives.

This means you can open all doors but one, kill all bosses but one, end up with a huge score, but only 2 stars.

In all of the other challenges, getting more stars is absolutely counter to producing more mats.
    He wrote 800+ with 1 star.

It could be done, if you were running it 5 levels above your character level.

I can easily get 600 mats in behind the door, running only 2 levels over my character. That's leaving rushmore undone, and several doors. If i skipped the spider, but ran the whole thing at 5 levels over my character, i'm guessing 800 is doable with only one star.

Full 5 star runs give us way over 1000 mats, and that again is only running 2 levels above our characters. The puzzle doesn't add any mats, that could be skipped.

I did already correct myself in saying that it was 2 stars.

I never open the teleporters so I tend to forget that that does get me a star.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    If i skipped the spider, but ran the whole thing at 5 levels over my character, i'm guessing 800 is doable with only one star.
    I never skip the spider. It is 300-600 bonus in points whether it is one of the stars or not.

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

So now you cant get 800+ ing with 1 star?

So now you cant get 800+ ing with 1 star?
    You have to go out of your way in a very small but very obvious way. Namely, at the start, use a teleporter once, come right back, and kill the mob that comes back through it after you. Then do the rest of your run normally. It costs you like 20 seconds and easily ensures a 1-star run without changing your parts reward.

However, I'm wondering if there is something fishy going on with the scoring in Picture Portals. I tried to get you your screenshot but had bad luck, but not so bad I couldn't draw a conclusion. (I took so long fighting the kobold that I ran out of time during the fight, meaning I only got 13 doors and 3 bosses instead of my plan of 13 doors and 4 bosses.)

The time ran out around 12 second before I killed the 4th boss, but I was expecting close (if not more than) 800 parts on that run anyway based on the formula listed in wiki as well as my experience running it for the tutorial. But I only ended up with 688, so now I'm wondering if it's even possible.

No further testing is available by me at this time; I've started leveling my challenge farmer to TR him during my one month of VIP. So I can no longer run 4 levels under. (Which is the spread that I consider to be the "correct" one.)

Here's my results, both times soloing level 20 picture portals on a level 16 character:

5 doors, 2 bosses, mother of the nest: 2729 score, 518 goblets (16 minutes)
    13 doors, 3 bosses, mother of the nest: 4306 score, 688 goblets (35 minutes)

The math simply doesn't work, both for getting 800 goblets in a single run as well as simple consistency with each other. It's clear that running for more bosses/doors is a fool's errand. (I have the fully captured video for both runs, so if anyone would like to see screenshots or even the run itself, let me know.)

EDIT: To clarify, based on the returns I got in the 16 minute version, of which the full run's video is posted in the tutorial quest, the 35 minute run should have earned 817 parts, not 688. Meaning that the more points you score, the fewer mats you get per point scored.

Finally you did it and saw for yourself you cant get 800+ with 1 star.
    Post the ss.
    Maybe you could get 800+ with bonus 20% weekend, but otherwise no.

Finally you did it and saw for yourself you cant get 800+ with 1 star.
    Post the ss.
    Maybe you could get 800+ with bonus 20% weekend, but otherwise no.
    Yep, you SHOULD be able to but the formula is screwed up somehow.

It's important to note that stars have almost nothing to do with it except preventing you from getting the last boss and the last door. Based on the diminishing returns of how points award mats I bet a perfect 6-star run would barely break 800 mats.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Yep, you SHOULD be able to but the formula is screwed up somehow.

It's important to note that stars have almost nothing to do with it except preventing you from getting the last boss and the last door. Based on the diminishing returns of how points award mats I bet a perfect 6-star run would barely break 800 mats.
    I know how it works, been doing it since it came out.
    Fastest and best is to kill spider, assassin and the chick.

Community Member

I love this challenge, but I hate the crest mechanic. I think it would be a lot better if it only had a single type of crest.
    All my posts are trolled by autocorrect and the edit button not working on smartphone browsers. That's also why I make multiple posts in a row instead of editing.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    I love this challenge, but I hate the crest mechanic. I think it would be a lot better if it only had a single type of crest.
    Up to the top you thread...

An improvement would already be if the crests that you needed for a particular door (or doors) were found in the area before it. or at least a 'drop-on-leaving -adventure' skeleton crest or two so you won't be stumped by two doors both requiring 2 scorpion crests and you having tons of crests but the scorpion ones.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koowluh View Post
    Up to the top you thread...

An improvement would already be if the crests that you needed for a particular door (or doors) were found in the area before it. or at least a 'drop-on-leaving -adventure' skeleton crest or two so you won't be stumped by two doors both requiring 2 scorpion crests and you having tons of crests but the scorpion ones.
    One simple change to the drop rate and doors would fix this broken piece of garbage.
    Just get rid of one or two of the crest types. (possibly replace with drop-on-exit) skeleton crests

Regular drop rates & Standardized doors.

so every drop of a crest is a different type, so they are distributed EVENLY.
    (wolf, scorp, snake, monkey, octo; wolf, scorp... etc.)

Then make the doors unlock with one of each. None of this three scorpion, one wolf B.S. One. Of. Each.

It's broken P.O.S. programming like this that keeps my wallet far far away from Turbine.

Where people apparently have lions walking in the streets- I reside in Khyber

In the spirit of replying to a kinda inactive thread...

I ran challenges last night. I posted 3 screenshots of rushmore payouts here http://imgur.com/a/I7YVz

A few points of interest:
    - I was unaware that doors gave score increases. I thought they only added time and therefore I didn't open a door if i didn't need to, even if I ran past it with extra crests.

- I don't understand why people are purposely sabotaging their runs to reduce the stars? If it doesn't affect your score, why bother? Run it to run it, ignore the stars.

- In the challenge which was level 20, I ran it as a level 16, expecting a 30-40% payout bonus (10% per level over, not sure if 1 level over adds 10% too). Running the challenge at a level below my character i.e. CR15 yielded more mats as I was able to manage more boss kills (yes, that archer in my screenies is my first ranged shooter, and his bow dps is that of a level 1, so standard mobs scare me!), but when I ran it at CR20, killed a 3rd boss IIRC with a minute left, so I just attacked the mobs in the vicinity for a score boost as opposed to opening another door for time (again, when running CR20 at lvl16 I had weak dps making mobs an insane time sink).

- Something I found extremely annoying (albeit with good intentions), was the occasional boost that got added to your inventory. A kobold gem of save boosting? NICE! OH WAIT, I'm out of bag space and can't pick up this crest! With that said, make crests non-bag operated. Sure, then you cant trade them if you are in a party, but that is just going to add to my suggested solution. Instead of literal items in your bag, make it a temporary currency. As can be seen in the screenshots, I have the crests layed out alphabetically on quickbar to keep record of what I have, but this is still very tedious and sometimes I have to read a tooltip to see if its a Scorpion or Snake crest. Like World of Warcraft vanilla and TBC used to have your battleground marks as literal items in your bag, but with WOTLK it became a represented currency in a "currency-tab" under your character sheet. For these crest-challenges, have the crests you find added to a counter somewhere on the screen, perhaps on the quest-objectives pane where the timer is or as a separated table like this (yes, the table isn't aligned to make it easier to match which currency is which crest):
    Crests:
    Bat : 1
    Octopus : 0

(see that? Octopus crests are 0, they always are!)

- Something I'm still experimenting with but so far works fair enough. At level 16, I had the warforged barbarian hireling tag along as dps improvement. Except for the times where I had mobs attacking me and he just stood there and watched like an inanimate armor, he actually made killing mobs faster. At times I would pull a bunch of phantasmal scum bags, pop invisibility and jump off somewhere. They would all swarm to him, I'd leave him on park and just continue. That must surely have helped contribute to the score, I'm guessing roughly at least 100 extra for more mob kills achieved.

- I have found that unless you have a class with advantages, for instance you can DDOOR and HASTE, challenges like Lava Caves Colossal Crystal are very often not worth the payout and risk of failure. I find it much more rewarding to run Rushmore and earn 400-500 Illuminated Manuscripts per run (of X minutes and at almost a no-fail chance, unless crests hate you that instance), than doing Lava Caves CC and getting 150-180 scorpions, as 1 run of manuscripts can be converted to 200-250 scorpions in any case.
    (side note to Lava Caves, I ran it with a sorcerer at lvl 15 on Cannith a long while back, he had haste and ddoor, he managed 350-400 scorps per run, close to 450 in a good run. With that said, you are better off doing rushmore for both rushmore ingredients as well as lava caves CC ingredients).

as a final note to anyone claiming to earn 800 mats in a run. I'm good at the challenges when soloing, but I dont bother with getting a min-maxed character at level and so my runs are often on part with what the general player of that level may be wearing. I have also been lucky to have run challenges with some of the best on khyber, though this was long ago, and I vaguely recall only once that I MAY have received over 700 mats for a lava caves time is money, which was an epic run anyways. If you claim that "you earn 800 mats per run" then you are a liar. You probably only got that once and since you only pull 400 mats a run. Unless you can prove with 2 or 3 screenshots of consecutive pulls of 800 or more ingredients, then you aren't needed on the forum. There is no contribution being made by a self-glorified liar.
    Last edited by wraxzz; 04-19-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: additional information to point 4

Quote Originally Posted by wraxzz View Post
    I'm out of bag space and can't pick up this crest! With that said, make crests non-bag operated. Sure, then you cant trade them if you are in a party
    You cannot trade crests between party members in mansion. I learned this the hard way, when I was running with a guildie who had terrible reflex saves. When we approached the trap hall I suggested he trade his crests to me and I'd run down and solo the assassin. No joy; crests cannot be traded.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast