Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I seem to be having a different experience than most of what I am reading here. I really enjoy the mansion. I find it challenging with the strick balance between speed and killing/breaking.

I solo this all the time, and have done it with groups. Groups are definitely a better way to go as there are msot spawns and thus more crests drop.

However I have only ever run this challenge once where I could not kill at least one boss.

I would say about 80% of the time I am able to kill at least 3 bosses. I average a minimum off 350 goblets (the one I run most often) and just ran one today at lunch, not opening the last two doors, or killing Rushmore and pulled in 833 goblets (on a 15th level toon running it at 17th level.)

I plan on doing a write up myself as I have grouped with enough people that have been frustrated by that that I wanted to share my experience.

The main things I do with my path that seem to be different.

Backdoor and Assassin's crib first. Open door to Boudior but do not go through. Go back through bath house to observatory. THEN to War Room and Boudiour. Back to Inner Courtyard (via back tracking or DD) then to the banner hall. I hit the SD from THIS end to kill the Mother of the Nest (never from the bath house side). And on till time runs out.

Again, this path I am 80% of the time able to kill 3 bosses and the mother of the nest. I even often avoid having the pictures spawn mobs to keep the killing down (which though may be needed for crests does slow one down). And I would have to say Soloing about 50% of the time I can open at least 13 doors. About 20% open all 16. With a party the percentages jump upwards to probably about 65% and 50%.

I have always gotten some materials from Rushmores, with the one exception. The only question I ever have about how many crests I get is how many doors I get open.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Morning Lord Warlock
    (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    On Rushmore, stars = mats.

Each boss is worth ~500 points, and each door is worth ~50 points (scaling adds/remove points). And most of the side-stars are something you will end doing if you go for all doors and bosses anyway. The only exception I remember from the top of my head is the bathroom kill in Moving Targets.
    This is not true.

Points = mats.

Like other challenges completing an actual star only gives you a few points. I typically only one star Picture Portals, my lowest mats is usually around 300, my highest (that I can remember) was today at 833. I only had one star.

I know for example in Extraplanar mining, killing the Dragon is a star but is only worth 10 points. You get 10 points from collecting one purple crystal.

When running for Materials I always run for the most points. More points = more materials. More stars = more xp.

Main
    (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    This is not true.

Points = mats.

Like other challenges completing an actual star only gives you a few points. I typically only one star Picture Portals, my lowest mats is usually around 300, my highest (that I can remember) was today at 833. I only had one star.
    How did you get so many mats when you had only 1 star?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    How did you get so many mats when you had only 1 star?
    Your materials draw is based on your Points, NOT your stars. Your XP for the challenge is based on stars.

You will find your points in the stars box at the top to the right of the stars in parenthesis. You get 1-3 points for killing stuff. ~50ish for opening a door, and ~300ish for killing a boss (including Mother of the Next). So opening 14 doors, killing 5 bosses (spider not Rushmore) alone is at 2200 points. One star for killing one boss. =)

Main
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

Your materials draw is based on your Points, NOT your stars. Your XP for the challenge is based on stars.

You will find your points in the stars box at the top to the right of the stars in parenthesis. You get 1-3 points for killing stuff. ~50ish for opening a door, and ~300ish for killing a boss (including Mother of the Next). So opening 14 doors, killing 5 bosses (spider not Rushmore) alone is at 2200 points. One star for killing one boss. =)
    Lol, you think I never did this.
    Give me a ss of you getting 830 mats with only 1 star.

Lol, you think I never did this.
    Give me a ss of you getting 830 mats with only 1 star.
    I don't have a screen shot of that particular run, but I will go ahead and do a run or two tonite and get you some screen shots. I typically only one star rushmores mansion unless I am on the lower levels. I tend not to bother with Rushmore when soloing, and usually miss at least one door. But can still hit a score of over 3000 for some good materials.

Main
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

Finished the tutorial thread, including the new videos for behind the door (full run) and picture portals (short 3-boss run.) You can see them here.

This is not true.

Points = mats.
    I know.

I was saying that, on Rushmore Mansion, the best way to earn points is getting stars (killing bosses first, opening doors second). The other two side-stars are things that I usually end up doing while going for all bosses and doors.

Sure, it is not the best way to earn mats per minute. For those, opening less doors is better to reduce the timer. But nonetheless, the best score in rushmore requires going for those three stars all the time.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

I don't have a screen shot of that particular run, but I will go ahead and do a run or two tonite and get you some screen shots. I typically only one star rushmores mansion unless I am on the lower levels. I tend not to bother with Rushmore when soloing, and usually miss at least one door. But can still hit a score of over 3000 for some good materials.
    Where is the ss?

Community Member

I consider myself pretty good at these challenges. I rarely fail to kill all bosses (getting all doors is a bit harder). The path I take is:
    go right and clear the first 3 rooms (break all breakables and kill all spawns)
    go back past entrance up the ramp, clear that room
    sprint down the upstairs hall, go left, clear that room, then the other 2 above the drop down
    drop down and open first door (kill spawns of course)
    clear the gallery, both floors
    clear the next room and make sure to clear breakables and check for floor spawns on all 3 levels
    open door to bathroom but do not enter
    open door to library, spiral up to right to check loft 1, then jump down and go up ramp to loft 2 to check pedestal
    jump down to check below you in front of the portal, then run to end of hall breaking the bookshelf just left of the ramp (often a crest behind it)
    clear breakables down hallway and in sacrifice room
    go to spa, clear both levels (often 1-2 crest upstairs), open the left door, open the secret door, open and use the right door to trapped halls
    clear trapped halls looking for crests above you (often 1 on first pillar on the right, often one in last central pillar in blades traps), always a bunch in locked rooms
    clear both rooms, above and next to the gate (above in particular usually has 2 crests, counting crate drops)
    do the assassin room, loot the 2 crests behind secret door upstairs, then the 3 in the water
    clear to concubine and kill her, return to shrine in spa
    drop down secret door, clear to spider, continue up to other secret door in banner hall
    climb the rafters, there are usually 2-4 crests up there
    continue to fountain room, loot fountain, go right
    clear chapel, make sure to loot crests in seats, alter, up the right ramp, and near the shrine before continuing to war room (usually 4 crests here not counting mob drops)
    clear the storage room, both levels, check for the one on floor straight across the room from the hall where you entered
    clear war room (3rd boss)
    head to easy street (requires 2 doors to be opened, if I ever run short on crests its usually here)
    open secret door (but ignore it), climb ladder, run rooftop, clear laundry room (4th boss, 5th if you count spider)
    return to secret door, jumping across the street to get 3 crests off the rooftops
    take secret door, clear to Rushmore
    kill Rushmore, clear shrine, go out the remaining door and clear the balcony (and preceding rooms)
    Only now do I go back through the cellars to open the remaining doors (should be 3 I think) and do puzzle (usually skip puzzle 'cause I don't know it)
    If you get all doors you should have time left over... if doing portals, locate the kobold if you can find him again and sell remaining time

This order rarely fails to kill all 5 bosses on picture portals (moving targets is obviously less reliable because well... they move). I rarely run out of crests before killing the bosses, but the remaining doors are less sure.

Community Member

If we're talking mats, I find the mansion to be horrible mats/min and find it's almost always better to do a trade in. Is there a way to get that time up so it's actually worth running them?

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    If we're talking mats, I find the mansion to be horrible mats/min and find it's almost always better to do a trade in. Is there a way to get that time up so it's actually worth running them?
    Other than picture portals there's not really any way to improve parts:min in mansion runs because pretty much everything in mansion earns a fixed amount of mats while extending the run by a fixed amount of time.

For picture portals you can sell excess time back to the kobold to improve it from horrendous parts:min to just bad.

If you just want minimal completion (i.e., kill one boss), then I found that the easiest Mansion version, somewhat counterintuitively, is Moving Targets. On almost every run, within few minutes either succubus will move into bathroom where she is easy to reach, or Ugg will move into courtyard -- where he is even easier to reach.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

YOu gonna post ss or admit you were wrong?

Community Member

I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

The funny thing is that he's not wrong. You can get tons of parts from mansion runs with only one star. Of course, Picture Portal runs are highly likely to be 3 stars, and Behind Door you'd have to consciously decide not to get the second star (kill Mother of the Nest) but Moving Targets could easily be 1-star just running for parts normally.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The funny thing is that he's not wrong. You can get tons of parts from mansion runs with only one star. Of course, Picture Portal runs are highly likely to be 3 stars, and Behind Door you'd have to consciously decide not to get the second star (kill Mother of the Nest) but Moving Targets could easily be 1-star just running for parts normally.
    Then you give me ss of getting 800+ ings with 1 star.

Then you give me ss of getting 800+ ings with 1 star.
    Why? What's the point? So I can demonstrate to ONE person too lazy to read the star objectives what the star objectives are?

Ha, whatever. I have no need to admit I am wrong cause that is the run that I had. I am not a trophy collector so had no need to take a screen shot.

Believe me or don't, I don't care.

I had since spent time over 20 and so didn't bother trying to recreate focusing on getting my ETR out of the way. I was going to give it another go for a screen shot as I was leveling up. However, now I really don't care to prove to you or anyone about it.

In Picture Portals almost all my runs at higher levels are just 2 staring the challenge. I often am not able to get all doors open when soloing, and usually run out of time killing at least one boss. So technically that is 2 starring (no teleporters are used) but that is not enough for star 3 and 4. But my score is high enough that I always get over 600 mats, and that after noon I had over 800. And yes I was running underleveled.

I do know that I have quite a few folks who have kept tabs on me to see when I run challenges cause they like the pulls they get when they run with me.

Main
    Alts
    Challenge Farmer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I know exactly how to do the mansion, where all the hidden crests are. Even when I take the time to kill EVERY mob, I still consistently run into multiple doors where I don't have the crests. This despite getting every crest available.

When I say multiple doors, I mean that I get every single crest up to a given door, am missing a crest so I use a skeleton key, and then later on I run into another door where, despite having gotten every available crest, I'm still short a crest. Or multiple crests!

This is a very frustrating design.

EDIT: As an example, on my latest run I was at a 4-crest door that required a snake, octopus, wolf and scorpion. Here are the crests that I had:

6 octopus
    6 wolf
    6 bat
    3 monkey
    0 snale
    0 scorpion

So despite have 21 crests on me I was short 2 crests. And I'd already used my skeleton key on a previous door thanks to a similar situation.

The streaky nature of the RNG makes this an untenable design, IMO.
    Definitely been blocked by a similar situation many times, which is mildly annoying. But the changes I would make to the mansion challenges are as follows:

1. Have the crests be applied party-wide (doesn't matter who grabs the crest) and just show up somewhere at the top of the screen how many of each you have, ie. don't put these into inventory. If I had a dollar for everytime all the crests + chests from the first few bosses meant my inventory was overflowing and crests I actually had (but were in overflow) weren't able to be used until I dumped some loot, well....

2. No auto-activation of powerups (they become inven items which can be activated by players when wanted, except they drop on leaving quest).
    The vast majority of powerups seem to be acquired in the first few sections of the quest and are therefore not available later on when you are fighting bosses. Some items might need to be reduced in power (thinking of quad damage to double / trip damage or reduced timer). Alternatively, could make the inventory version a rarer subset (eg. 10% drop rate) with the majority of the powerups still activating immediately
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast