Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default U20: The death of woowoo

Anyone else go over to lamania and test out their life-stealing weapons?

They . . . well . . . suck now.

Has anyone actually confirmed the proc-rate?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

after a careful, extensive and exhaustive study, I have determined

Chances of the The Pope crapping in his hat > life stealing procs

Not sure if it's the same effect, but after a few ERs, one IR and two TRs, i slapped on my pinion with an augment slot, dropped in the Augment of Endless Night and went to town on some drow in the king's forest. I had lots of level drain effects. This was on my druid. My dog also was using the grave wrappings turned into a collar, and he was getting level drains as well. Is this the same effect as life stealing?
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

The only thing left now is to make the suffix drop like rain on every fifth chest pull and end reward, just to continue to philosophy of: Once its useless, everyone needs an inventory full of them.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Ghostbane to the rescue, baby!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorlong View Post
    Not sure if it's the same effect, but after a few ERs, one IR and two TRs, i slapped on my pinion with an augment slot, dropped in the Augment of Endless Night and went to town on some drow in the king's forest. I had lots of level drain effects. This was on my druid. My dog also was using the grave wrappings turned into a collar, and he was getting level drains as well. Is this the same effect as life stealing?
    No, the effects you are describing are a guaranteed proc on a 20. In the case of the augment, it's a single level lost. Grave Wrappings are 1d3 levels. Life stealing currently procs on any crit for 1d3 negative levels, soon to be a chance of a proc on a crit. Depending on the chance (nobody seems to know and for some reason Turbine can't just simply tell us) and the weapon you're using, a guaranteed proc on a 20 may actually be better than a chance of a proc on a crit.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I swear it used to be a 50% proc . . . then became 100% . . . now nerfed to useless.

Typical Turbine.

Kinda not surprised, turbine doesn't want non monk melees to be able to CC. (CC being defined as any effect that lowers the damage the target inflicts on the party while increasing the damage the party inflicts on the target).
    Melee FVS: Solarien
    Earth Savant: Keyros
    Pale Master: Kayros

Who said the Wooo Wooo is dead!?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Before the last character wipe I did some careful testing in the Dojo. The new proc rate is somewhere between 30-33% of confirmed crits that result in negative levels. This is down from essentially 100% on live.

Thank you to the people who gave me some space to do that testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Yep. Being a rock is hard. Paper is OP, scissors is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeno5k View Post
    Kinda not surprised, turbine doesn't want non monk melees to be able to CC. (CC being defined as any effect that lowers the damage the target inflicts on the party while increasing the damage the party inflicts on the target).
    Hmmm . . . we need to find some way to make these monk weapons, then Turbine will buff them.

Brilliant idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sardonica View Post
    Before the last character wipe I did some careful testing in the Dojo. The new proc rate is somewhere between 30-33% of confirmed crits that result in negative levels. This is down from essentially 100% on live.

Thank you to the people who gave me some space to do that testing.
    Which makes the Nightmare worthless.

If the Nightmare isn't the best trash-killer it serves no purpose.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Alleged nerf.

Those numbers are just placeholder values.
    There is no free lunch.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Ghostbane to the rescue, baby!!!!!
    I think lifestealing could be endgame viable if it added Ghostbane XXVI or so.

If it is not broken, it needs a nerf.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

What you probably mean is that the following weapons don't drain 1 - 3 levels on EVERY crit anymore:
    Nightmare
    Sacrificial Dagger
    Dreampiercer

I have several different Cormyrian Weapons with Life-Stealing on them and none of them proc the level drain on every critical (I'm talking about live servers, since U14).
    It's just a chance on a critical hit to proc, exactly like it says in the description.

It would also be interesting how it works with an obscenity weapon. I never got my hands on one to test those out (my bet is they dont drain on every crit though).

I'm not sure about Staff of the Shadow and Dreamspitter either, but I have both and could test them.

Bottom line: It was probably never intended those 3 weapons work like they do currently on live, so they get fixed now.
    The sad thing is just that it took turbine so long to do that (it's like that since U14) and now quite some people developed whole builds around these weapons that get screwed by this change.
    Last edited by Eth; 11-06-2013 at 05:08 AM.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Hmm- looks like I have to check it out on Lam.

I been running double Nightmares for a long time now and had very fun with them. I guess i had to much fun in the game so they have to change it...

But dont worry i can always go back and be a monk with +75 Stunning Fist easily like before - not as fun as whacking with swords but i guess thats what you have to do these days....
    Officer of Crusaders of Justice / Orien / Swedish player
    Lyrandar/ Devourer in Europe since launch 2006 / Orien since 2009
    Charachters: Ctype/ Archibald / Ygolonar / Etype / Dtype
    Completionist with Ctype

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    What you probably mean is that the following weapons don't drain 1 - 3 levels on EVERY crit anymore:
    Nightmare
    Sacrificial Dagger
    Dreampiercer

I have several different Cormyrian Weapons with Life-Stealing on them and none of them proc the level drain on every critical (I'm talking about live servers, since U14).
    It's just a chance on a critical hit to proc, exactly like it says in the description.

It would also be interesting how it works with an obscenity weapon. I never got my hands on one to test those out (my bet is they dont drain on every crit though).

I'm not sure about Staff of the Shadow and Dreamspitter either, but I have both and could test them.

Bottom line: It was probably never intended those 3 weapons work like they do currently on live, so they get fixed now.
    The sad thing is just that it took turbine so long to do that (it's like that since U14) and now quite some people developed whole builds around these weapons that get screwed by this change.

Bottom line is don't say its the *bottom line* with a guess....
    (this was dug up for a lamania post)

Originally Posted by Genasi
    I can't say for sure, but I'm reasonably confident that the reason the Dreamspitter's level drain effect was reduced from on-crit to chance-on-crit was because of the relative ease of Holding a target and then level-draining it to death via autocrit. In light of how the Held status will be changing soon, I'm thinking it'd be fair to buff these effects back to happening on all crits (or at least the majority of them). I can't give a solid date for when that change will happen, but know that it's on my radar now. Thanks for bringing it up!

Originally Posted by Genasi
    Happy to report that these changes have now been made for Update 9: Life-Stealing will return to its original behavior of occuring on all critical hits.

So you want the real bottom line....
    The description is for the original affect because of how holding worked, then they changed it, and decided to change the affect to reflect the change they made in helpless no longer being auto crit. Being typical turbine they change the ability and not the TEXT of the ability. Now a few years later they make the cor weapons, fudge up the life draining proc on it. Some new coder gets put on it, looks at the description of the affect goes "ooooh the effect itself is broken.. well I can fix that"

That... THAT is the bottom line... why someone didn't look at it and go.... no we made these changes for a reason, change it back and fix what your were supposed to fix... well its probably cause they're not paying attention, all they care about is that cormyrian weapon woowoo works as *described*.... check. Once again the people running and creating this game don't even know the history of this game... and how that's possible when Paiz and his wife have been involved in the management of this game the other game and turbine itself as far back as *oooh its vaaaaaaaaaast and mysterious* just goes to show what things have come to. I'll probably get infracted for saying that if a mod even reads this, but what else is the player base to think about things like this happening all the time without a dev or even community reps comment on it.

This isn't the first thing that was changed for a specific reason, and then changed back or to something else later without even a mention of how why or whatever........that Eth... that's the bottom line and even Stone Cold would agree.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    Incorrect.

Short history lesson for you.

Once upon a time, the weapons functioned on crit. Turbine added a new mechanic to the game "Auto-Crit", this functioned much as one might expect, any mob that was made Helpless, via either spell, or Tactical Ability (Hold Monster/Person, Stunning Fist/Blow) was put into Auto-Crit status, any attack made on the mob while helpless was automatically upgraded to a Critical Hit. Turbine changed the weapon effects to a "Chance to proc" to reflect that Crits were much more likely.

Turbine changed their mind on "Auto-Crit" and it was removed and replaced with what we currently have, Helpless mobs take 50% more damage. Players asked if the weapon effects should revert to their old functionality, since Crits were no-longer as likely. One of the Devs (Gensai) agreed and reverted the weapon effects to "On Crit", what Gensai failed to do was update the Description Text, but since the weapons functioned the way they should, players let it slide.

Now a Dev has decided to reverse the decision made by Gensai.

TLDR: Go back and read what I took the time and effort to type.

*Edit* Ninja'd by a few mins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast