Community Member

Default Healing with a Monk

I've got a quick question about some of the healing abilities the monk has. Mine is only lvl 3, and I'm still trying to figure out how the various abilities work. Lemme see if I got this straight: In order to use "Healing Ki", you have to build 3 stacks of "light" with "Fists of Light". I'm assuming every time you use Fists of Light it gives you a stack of light. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Now my question is, is there a way to see how many stacks of light you have? Something you turn on in the UI? Or do you just have to remember how many times you have used the ability.
    How long do those stacks last?
    Do they all have to be generated on the same target, or can you build 1 on, say a kobold. Then build 2 more on a hobgoblin. Then use all 3 on a skeleton?

Is there any other ability that builds those stacks of "light"?

Thanks for your advice, and if you have any other words of wisdom about healing with a monk, please share them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredTheTall View Post
    I've got a quick question about some of the healing abilities the monk has. Mine is only lvl 3, and I'm still trying to figure out how the various abilities work. Lemme see if I got this straight: In order to use "Healing Ki", you have to build 3 stacks of "light" with "Fists of Light". I'm assuming every time you use Fists of Light it gives you a stack of light. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Now my question is, is there a way to see how many stacks of light you have? Something you turn on in the UI? Or do you just have to remember how many times you have used the ability.
    Do they all have to be generated on the same target, or can you build 1 on, say a kobold. Then build 2 more on a hobgoblin. Then use all 3 on a skeleton?

Thanks for your advice, and if you have any other words of wisdom about healing with a monk, please share them.
    It's not really stacks of light.

The way it works is that monks have 6 different types of attacks. Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Light/Dark, and Void. Think of the light heal as one of the old video game 'finishing moves' where you had to do a set of attacks in order to trigger that move. Doing three light attacks in a row, on any target, without interacting with anything else in between (no doors, ladders, zoning, switching weapons, using a scroll, etc) sets you up where you can use the Light finishing move. Then you just hit the finishing move button and lag/interrupts-willing you'll fire off that move. There are other finishing moves as well - element/light/element constitute 4 other ones. For example, Air/Light/Air will cast an aoe 1 minute duration blur. There's also special ones you can get later on as a monk...for instance a level 20 monk can do Earth/Air/Fire to set up a move that dances an enemy.
    Tajawuka 20 Bladeforged Paladin running divine ETR's (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's, 3 martial epl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member
    Tajawuka 20 Bladeforged Paladin running divine ETR's (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's, 3 martial epl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

Some people may scoff at what you're doing by the way...but I've had success with this even before recent changes made it even better.

Some things that can help if you're staying pure (I'll leave out the things that apply to splash builds but not to pure monks):

1) Investing in the heal skill. 1 skill point per level will get you to 11 skill points at level 19.
    2) A devotion item. This can be an augment in your handwraps or something elsewhere.
    3) A healing lore item. This is much less important than #2 but IMO can be very powerful.
    4) A heal skill item. Much less important than #3. If you get lucky and run a Reaver's Fate raid and the Gauntlets of Eternity drop and no one needs them these can be very handy for times you want your monk to push out as much healing as possible as this item combines #2-4. Upgraded they're up there with the best healing items you can get pre-20 and even un-upgraded they're really good.
    5) Heavy spending in Shintao tree. Each core ability taken (available at monk levels 1, 3, 6, 12, 18, and 20) provide 10 positive spell power and 5% healing amp.
    6) I hesitate to put this here as I would never personally do this but for the sake of completeness you could spend a feat on Magical Training on a pure monk. Aside from providing much more sp's and sp-regen on a pure monk for Rejuvenating Cocoon twisting you do get 5% extra spell crit out of the feat. It's such a small bonus as to be a poor feat choice but it IS a feat that a pure monk can take that directly improves their outgoing healing.

In addition to that list gear that provides Healing Amplification as well as the ship buff that gives the same will improve your self-healing. It won't help your group any but it will make your heals go a lot further in keeping you upright.

Community Member

As I mentioned, I played a monk back in the old days...way before Shintao gave devotion or augments existed. We were doing a Reaver's Fate elite at level, one of the two healers died and the other one d/c'd. I switched to my Gauntlets of Eternity and just spammed light attacks/finishers for the rest of the raid and easily kept the group up. Normal quests I could easily do the same thing without even bothering with the gauntlets.

Monk healing isn't going to keep a non-self sufficient group alive through epic elites. It's targeted on you, it's aoe, and it takes time to set up. But it's significant enough that with the right gear, enhancements, and skills it will most likely be enough that you could skip out on cocoon in epic levels, won't need pots/scrolls in heroic levels, and will allow your group to normally not need any consumables during your quests.

Community Member

You can drag the general 'finishing move' to your hot bar, that turns to light finisher when you have 3 stacks ready. So, you can't see your stack, but you will see when your count is big enough.

As far as I know, they last indefinitely. But, they vanish if you do _anything_. Check the wiki link from above, clicking pretty much anything other than healing ki or healing finisher will reset the stack. Picking items, using cleaves, opening doors, swapping items, the list goes on and on.

No they don't. You can use the abilities on any mobs (or even just strike air), and you will generate the finisher stack. Just remember, you can't do pretty much anything else than regular attacks or the stack will reset.

No.

It's annoying. The fists of light itself is nice, the healing for hitting the opponent is nice. But, building a finisher prevents you from doing so many things, it's next to impossible unless you specifically do just the light-light-light-finisher combo before the stack has time to reset.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by era42 View Post
    As far as I know, they last indefinitely. But, they vanish if you do _anything_. Check the wiki link from above, clicking pretty much anything other than healing ki or healing finisher will reset the stack. Picking items, using cleaves, opening doors, swapping items, the list goes on and on.
    Not true about the cleaves, I switch between light and cleaves and still get the finisher every 3 light attacks, works the same for the other attacks, try with earth on a target dummy, you will be able to do: earth, cleave, earth, great cleave, earth, finisher (:

Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mohank View Post
    Not true about the cleaves, I switch between light and cleaves and still get the finisher every 3 light attacks, works the same for the other attacks, try with earth on a target dummy, you will be able to do: earth, cleave, earth, great cleave, earth, finisher (:
    ^ This.

Pretty much any special attack as long as it's not a monk elemental attack of a type you don't want for whatever specific finisher, won't interrupt your gathering for finisher. I can personally confirm this for Stunning Fist, Sunder, Cleave, Great Cleave, Trip; as I often use all those along with earth elemental strikes and still use my earth or earth/dark finisher

Lost Legions of Sarlona................................. Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda
    Kobay . Kobai . Artisti . Kobot . Ezike . Dynic.......................... Ezike . Kobai
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I knew i should have actually tested this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post

Monk healing isn't going to keep a non-self sufficient group alive through epic elites. It's targeted on you, it's aoe, and it takes time to set up. But it's significant enough that with the right gear, enhancements, and skills it will most likely be enough that you could skip out on cocoon in epic levels, won't need pots/scrolls in heroic levels, and will allow your group to normally not need any consumables during your quests.
    Healing ki finisher is an AOE effect that can be targeted on other players.
    Use the right click or the F# keys to target a party member then fire off the finisher it will center the AoE on them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toro12 View Post
    Healing ki finisher is an AOE effect that can be targeted on other players.
    Use the right click or the F# keys to target a party member then fire off the finisher it will center the AoE on them.
    That's true...you can definitely change the target on all the finishers - I should have said that it defaults to being targeted on you. The healing ki I wouldn't often target somewhere else but I often did Aligning the Heavens targeted on the group's casters rather than on the melee bunch.

In addition to the DDO Wiki article on Finishing moves, check out the Monk guide I keep up and running. The link at at the signature below.

It's a group effort with a lot of typing from me but a lot of contributions, corrections and information from players here and elsewhere. There is a section on applying finishers, what you'll see and what happens, as well as other info that might help your new Monk.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Culver.Civello View Post
    ^ This.

Pretty much any special attack as long as it's not a monk elemental attack of a type you don't want for whatever specific finisher, won't interrupt your gathering for finisher. I can personally confirm this for Stunning Fist, Sunder, Cleave, Great Cleave, Trip; as I often use all those along with earth elemental strikes and still use my earth or earth/dark finisher
    Did a bit of questing last night, and can also comfirm abundant step wont break a combo (:

Did a bit of questing last night, and can also comfirm abundant step wont break a combo (:
    Nor will any other tactical ability (such as Cleave) that isn't a ki attack aligned with an element or philosophy. You can also Meditate and use Wholeness of Body when in the process of building a finisher or with a charged finisher.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Nor will any other tactical ability (such as Cleave) that isn't a ki attack aligned with an element or philosophy. You can also Meditate and use Wholeness of Body when in the process of building a finisher or with a charged finisher.
    Thx - Just finished reading the monk guide in your sig, nice info (:

Thx - Just finished reading the monk guide in your sig, nice info (:
    You're welcome. Players and the DDO Wiki gather up all of this information. I've just compiled it in a concentrated form from all of their comments and notes. I'm more editor than author.