Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Default Can Dev's play DDO? Are they allowed to when away from the office?

Once the Developers of this game go home to their computers do they play as private citizens who would privately play as characters in this game? Or are they bound to some rule that says they cannot?

I think some may play this game in their private, off the clock, done working for the day, time to relax homes.

Someone on the Team that is a hardcore DnD player may do this.

Some may prefer other games out there and do not play this game.

My focus here: Do some Dev's play DDO when they are at home/away from their jobs?

http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=974...6&tx=106&ty=77

Quote Originally Posted by zDragonz View Post
    Once the Developers of this game go home to their computers do they play as private citizens who would privately play as characters in this game? Or are they bound to some rule that says they cannot?

My focus here: Do some Dev's play DDO when they are at home/away from their jobs?
    Yes, they can play the game, in fact some of them are avid gamers before they started to work for Turbine, and a few of them have talked about doing so, but, as also, when something is your 40+ hour a week job, it's hard to then go and do it to relax, you know.

Community Member

Lol....

Don't need to be psychic to see the responses this thread is going to generate

I'm going to assume though it's a legit question and not trolling.

It's pretty much what Ungood already stated. It's well-known that some of the dev's spend some
    time playing for their own enjoyment at times. And it would be quite a kick to just sit back and
    experience what you've worked on from the other side of the fence.

But yeah, I'd guess it's also pretty true it's probably low on the 'fun priority' list when it's your day job as well.

While I was working on the bottling lines at a winery near here, I found myself unable to drink until I'd taken
    another job and been gone a while.

Sick of the smell and sight of it, and could only link it with having a sore back and being tired.

Predicting this thread gets to about 12 posts before someone says something that gets it cubed.
    Last edited by Huthor; 11-02-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Add Shifters as a PC race - please.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Nice analogy on the winery smell.

If I worked for this game I may not play it.

But I most likely would also play the game first and become a Dev later. That would be neat!

Community Member

Nice analogy on the winery smell.

If I worked for this game I may not play it.

But I most likely would also play the game first and become a Dev later. That would be neat!
    Did this with a MUD game (Yeah, I'm that old *sigh*).
    One of the things I discovered after a few years of actually working on the game itself was it lost a lot of the
    'magic' that kept me there as a player. You know intimately how everything works, what all the secrets are and
    where, etc.
    At that point, the only thing that prevents you from pulling up stakes and not looking back is love of creating and
    adding new things.

It's why I personally wouldn't want to become a dev. I can get the attraction of it for other people, but as a game
    that I play for fun in discovering new things, and very slowly piecing together what works and what doesn't..... I
    couldn't do it myself.
    Add Shifters as a PC race - please.

Yup, devs (and community folks, and marketing folks, etc.) do indeed play this game on regular characters. In fact, we have no special abilities or anything on the live worlds when we play. Our admin characters are used sometimes for events (like Lamannia events) and we do have special powers there, but when it comes to playing on the live servers, it's strictly with normal characters. In terms of how much, it depends. Some play a lot, a few might be considered hardcore players, others are more casual. Some prefer role playing, or weekly static groups. A lot of DDO team members play together when they log on, although you're also likely to have played with them at some point or another, if you've played long enough. And sure, there's probably a few who put in a ton of hours working on the game, and prefer other entertainments on their time off. But even so, you have to be knowledgeable about the game in order to work on it.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    And sure, there's probably a few who put in a ton of hours working on the game, and prefer other entertainments on their time off. But even so, you have to be knowledgeable about the game in order to work on it.
    Game mechanics are not the same as physiological mechanics.

That is the area that management needs help with understanding. I advise 2x4s.

emmm....

I'm also agreeable to let J.W.Berry run tests on your managers if he is still there given what his degree was in.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huthor View Post
    Lol....

While I was working on the bottling lines at a winery near here, I found myself unable to drink until I'd taken
    another job and been gone a while.

Sick of the smell and sight of it, and could only link it with having a sore back and being tired.
    Heh.
    Whenever someone asks me if I go camping (or like to), I recall my time in the infantry reserves. While I enjoyed my time in, I don't imagine I'll ever think of camping as relaxing.

As for the Devs, with how much we rag on them, why would they want to play where we do?

Even if they don't play DDO, it would be nice if we had some developers who actually played any MMORPG's at all.

No, wait, scratch that.

We need some executives who play DDO, then perhaps they would get a ******* clue as to what to tell the developers to work on next that doesn't go "moo".
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Huthor View Post
    Predicting this thread gets to about 12 posts before someone says something that gets it cubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antheal View Post
    Even if they don't play DDO, it would be nice if we had some developers who actually played any MMORPG's at all.

No, wait, scratch that.

We need some executives who play DDO, then perhaps they would get a ******* clue as to what to tell the developers to work on next that doesn't go "moo".
    And here is the post that gets us on that track! Congrats, Antheal. You are DDO's troll of the day!

God forbid we have a rational discussion about this.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    And here is the post that gets us on that track! Congrats, Antheal. You are DDO's troll of the day!

His post would not be invalid if he made it in a... more diplomatic manner.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Heh.
    Whenever someone asks me if I go camping (or like to), I recall my time in the infantry reserves. While I enjoyed my time in, I don't imagine I'll ever think of camping as relaxing.
    ...right, and those things have something in common other than having a tent?
    (Sure, it was sort of fun to end up teaching the NCOs how to put up the tent PROPERLY, too... Boy Scouts do it much better on average.)

Point is, you don't want to have your ONLY connection to whatever it is to be a forced one. A preexisting hobby can work.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post

My point is perfectly valid no matter how snarky I phrase it.

Executive meddling is what's going to kill the game, because a useless developer can simply lrn2prg and get better at their job, something an exec can't and/or wont do.
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Antheal, there is a contradiction when both your statements are observed. I am not going to tell you how but I am sure the community agrees.

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&bi...&tx=192&ty=117

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=3...6&tx=89&ty=153

You are a troll who works from home?

http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=824...&tx=112&ty=130
    Last edited by zDragonz; 11-03-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Well, some can...

...and some can't
    There is no free lunch.

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=9...6&tx=127&ty=80

We love trolls! We love to troll them.

They love to troll back.

Think that about sums it up.

Thank you all for posting.

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...8&tx=106&ty=95

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    ... we have no special abilities or anything on the live worlds when we play. Our admin characters are used sometimes for events (like Lamannia events) and we do have special powers there, but when it comes to playing on the live servers, it's strictly with normal characters.
    It's kinda cool hearing that Mockduck is still out there. ...somewhere ...running around in secret, but he's out there.

Maybe it's more than kinda cool. Maybe it's cool cool.
    Last edited by Marupal; 11-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

In one of the companies I worked at, we all had to play the game with non-gm/powered characters. They called it Product Knowledge time. We got 2 hours out of the day to dedicate to PK time. I hope Turbine has something like that going on.

I am not going to tell you how but I am sure the community agrees.
    Except he is entirely correct. We need management to play because they are the ones who have the final say in the decision making process.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast