Crafting is an interesting system in the game with a lot of untapped potential, but presently it's so horribly complicated and the rewards underpar compared to Random lootgen, it's barely worth the effort.
It should in theory be possible to craft something that is better than randomly generated loot, even if it's only better because the Min level is slightly lower. If Random loot is better then crafting is a failed system from the start.
It needs to be simplified and updated, so here are few easy steps to do it.
1. Remove the Prefix/Suffix limitations
It just limits the system without any real purpose, overcomplicates it and makes it harder to use, it has to go.
2. Remove the Item Potential Shards/Limitations
If I disjunct an Epic item why does it suddely lose all it's potential and become pretty useless, it's overcomplicated and it has to go.
3. Remove the 2 shard limit
This is probably a little more controversial, however there are a number of items with more than 2 enchantments on them, quarterstaffs come to mind as a simple example. Also the Min Level of the Items is already a built in limitation to the power of items, it doesn't need further limitations.
4. Update the Shards that can be made
This should be a no brainer, the loot system has been updated a number of times but crafting hasn't. (suggestions for some new shards below)
5. Note on the shards what items they can go on.
Is it that hard to list xyz shard can go on abc item, really? even if it's something general like, weapon, armour, clothing (boots, hats, gloves), jewellery (Rings, Goggles, Amulets, trinkets). Would make it a lot easier to pick the items you want.
1. Lets us craft the base items as well, would be nice if we could spend a few components to make an Amulet or the like, instead of running around to grab one from loot.Shard Suggestions:
2. Let us Craft Items of Different materials, Why shouldn't we be able to craft an Alchemical Silver Longsword, or a COld Iron Greatsword, it's got to be easier than enchanting them...
3. Change the Bound Crafting to be Bound to Account, instead of Character, there's no reason for them to be BtC when you can make the item and pass the shards around as BtA.
Upgrade shards: These would work on any crafted item and upgrade the current enchantments on them without needing to rebuild the item from scratch, (System mechanics are already effectively in place with the Shards of Potential afterall)
Enhancement Upgrades: +1 to +2, upgrade the +1 Enhancement on the Item to +2 Simple!
Spell Lore Upgrades: Ice Lore I to Ice Lore II, again simple!
Spellpower Upgrades: Glaciation +30 to Glaciation +38
Lower Min Level Bound Shards: Similar to the Shards that can go in non standard slots which can be made by those with higher Crafting skill, create shards that add less to the Items Min Level, this would let the really good crafters make some exceptional items for themselves or their alts (having these Shards BtC might be reasonable).