Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73
  1. #41
    Community Member PNellesen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    ...
    * Cloak of Night, from the now-ended Mabar Festival (Level 16 and above)

    ...
    Good list.

    Slight correction here - Deathblock on Cloak of Night is available starting at level 12.

    I very, very seldom go without Deathblock starting at >11 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

  2. #42
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    It's very important.

    I did one life without it and only died as a result about twice, but he was a warforged with very high saves, and I also think I was luckier than I deserved to be. I would always recommend taking Deathblock.

    For any fleshy, my policy is that Silver Flame Talisman goes on at level 12 and never comes off. Not only is Deathblock very important, but the Silver Flame Talisman can also absorb stuff like Enervations and Energy Drains that will otherwise mess you up without a saving throw or a to-hit roll. It's a great defense to have.

  3. #43
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldCoaly View Post
    I think I see your point.

    99.99% of the time it's not necessary to wear a seatbelt

    If you're "careful", plan ahead, and know the terrain, 90% of the time it's not necessary to use protection when being intimate.


    You don't "need" deathblock. Unless you do. For most people, the first indicator that they needed to drink a DW potion (or use a clicky, or have the spell cast, or whatever) is that they're dead.


    It's less mouse clicks for everyone to have deathblock already slotted than to switch it in after you've been raised.
    You don't ever need deathblock if you have death ward because death ward INCLUDES death block.

    Since you can have multiple Visors of the Flesh Render, you have all of the death ward that you need for any quest except those that have lots of beholders. Your analogy is terrible. If you are capable of remembering to use your death ward clicky when you go into a quest and when you finish shrining, then you do not need death block because you HAVE death block included in your death ward. If you are not capable of remembering to do that, then you should probably consider getting a death block item.

    Similarly, Wizards who aren't capable of remembering to cast Expeditious Retreat and/or Haste need to have a 30% striding item permanently equipped because they are terrible at this game.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  4. #44
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Not to hijack the topic, but the thread points to an important mindset that some players miss: Not everyone multiclasses. Not everyone can use or wants to invest in UMD. Not everyone spell-casts. Death Ward is rare to find for a reason since it shields against the nastiest magic and special physical attacks in game. But it's a magic ward, and not all characters use magic.
    Death Ward is not rare. You don't need Death Ward potions. Visors of the Flesh Renders are EASY to get if you run the Tangleroot chain (they appear more than half of the time that you complete the chain as a chain reward).

    If you are able to remember to use the Death Ward clickie, then you don't have any use for Deathblock aside from Beholders and Dispel Magic slinging casters. If you are not able to remember to use your Death Ward clickie, then LEARN TO USE CLICKIES AND GET BETTER AT THIS GAME.

    There are a variety of clickies and consumables in this game that will make the game MUCH easier for you and will allow you to tackle more challenging content.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  5. #45
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In a box.
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You don't ever need deathblock if you have death ward because death ward INCLUDES death block.
    Again, dispel.

    Perhaps you shouldn't be telling anyone they're terrible at the game.

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Death Ward is not rare. You don't need Death Ward potions. Visors of the Flesh Renders are EASY to get if you run the Tangleroot chain (they appear more than half of the time that you complete the chain as a chain reward).

    If you are able to remember to use the Death Ward clickie, then you don't have any use for Deathblock aside from Beholders and Dispel Magic slinging casters. If you are not able to remember to use your Death Ward clickie, then LEARN TO USE CLICKIES AND GET BETTER AT THIS GAME.

    There are a variety of clickies and consumables in this game that will make the game MUCH easier for you and will allow you to tackle more challenging content.
    Maintain low tones and caps lock, friend. You're overreacting. Death Ward is rare enough without knowledge of where to find it outside of what's already been noted here. For non-magic users, it's a rare ability unless you farm for 10 Visors, since they work for a limited time, and shrines aren't always available to reset them. Experienced players know where to find Death Ward options, but until they know, it's rare for a non-magic user. That's just how gaming goes.

    That's why we're talking about both it and the OP's question on Deathblock, since it, too, is a scarcity without experience and knowledge that we've all shared here. Both are needed. Nobody's an instant expert, and "yelling" isn't getting your point across.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PNellesen View Post
    Good list.

    Slight correction here - Deathblock on Cloak of Night is available starting at level 12.

    I very, very seldom go without Deathblock starting at >11 or so.
    Thanks. I saw that earlier and was just waiting for somebody to slap my virtual hand.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

  8. #48
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You don't ever need deathblock if you have death ward because death ward INCLUDES death block.

    Since you can have multiple Visors of the Flesh Render, you have all of the death ward that you need for any quest except those that have lots of beholders. Your analogy is terrible. If you are capable of remembering to use your death ward clicky when you go into a quest and when you finish shrining, then you do not need death block because you HAVE death block included in your death ward. If you are not capable of remembering to do that, then you should probably consider getting a death block item.

    Similarly, Wizards who aren't capable of remembering to cast Expeditious Retreat and/or Haste need to have a 30% striding item permanently equipped because they are terrible at this game.
    In a perfect world, we'd notice everything, forget nothing, and flawlessly execute the most efficient path from one point to another every time without exception.


    The reality is that people forget to click their deathward clicky, forget to pay attention to the timer on the buff, and forget to pay attention to see if it got dispelled either by beholder or other aggressive mob. I've even seen the most ardent proponents of "Enough Tangleroot clickies are enough for all circumstances" forget to shrine and recharge their clickies.


    Forgetting happens.


    In the case of Expeditious Retreat, you tend to notice that you forgot the buff when your party members are moving at a faster pace than you.

    In the case of Deathward, you also tend to notice that you forgot to manage the buff when your party members are moving at a faster pace than you, but this is because you are leashing to your soulstone.


    If the player's memory of all things in the quests is perfect, arguably they won't need Deathward OR Deathblock. They will remember not only where everything is, but when it will activate and position themselves to be in an invulnerable sweet spot behind the mobs (or above or whatever) and incapacitate the mob before their character is in any danger at all.


    If you're not that perfect, Deathblock helps.

  9. #49
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Think you can also get level 20 deathward pots from handing in collectibles from Necropolis 1-3 series. Have to finish one or two of the series before the vendors open up to you - 1 abbots ring (unfortunately the rarest of the drops) give you one potion. So a bit of farming of those quests should give you a small supply of potions.

    As for having deathblock on items rather using deathward, yup deathward is definitely better but as has been pointed out being dispelled happens and most folk don't have sufficient clickies to cover multiple dispels. Even forgetting about beholders - there are plenty of mobs (mages, clerics, driders, scorrow etc, various bosses) liberally sprinkled about quests at all but the lowest levels that are capable of dispelling. If you're in a group its generally not too bad as the mobs die faster and any dispels are spread out amongst the group - if you're soloing however. and there are mobs that can cast dispel. you will almost certainly have your buffs disappear multiple times between rests.

  10. #50
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,777

    Default

    /raises hand

    I am one who uses deathblock situationally. I have a SF necklace that I prefer using and try to make my necklace slot a switchable item I can live without while using the SF necklace. unfortunately that usually means wisdom. I always carry the Flesh Render Goggles on all my characters for times I may need it, like maybe I don't get the buff from someone else who has the spell or I can go from shrine to shrine the 7 minutes before it wears off. I do carry a deathblock armor in low levels until I hit level 11. very useful in some quests like Sharn or 3BC. I have the Mabar cloaks on all my characters, but I easily found better epic cloaks to wear and they actually sit in my TR cache now.

    if you can fit in DB, I would wear it all the time. i would never suggest to players they shouldn't wear it. I haven't really had a problem with not wearing it full time. its rare I actually fail a save or forget to put on my SF necklace. one of the perks of knowing quests and what ones are pretty much a must to wearing DB. one thing that players still are confused with is the difference between deathblock and deathward. doesn't matter if they have been playing since the beginning or just stepped off the boat, they still don't understand why they get neg leveled from beholders while wearing deathblock.
    Gary Gygax quotes

    The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

    There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

    Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

    When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

  11. #51
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You don't ever need deathblock if you have death ward because death ward INCLUDES death block.

    Since you can have multiple Visors of the Flesh Render, you have all of the death ward that you need for any quest except those that have lots of beholders. Your analogy is terrible. If you are capable of remembering to use your death ward clicky when you go into a quest and when you finish shrining, then you do not need death block because you HAVE death block included in your death ward. If you are not capable of remembering to do that, then you should probably consider getting a death block item.

    Similarly, Wizards who aren't capable of remembering to cast Expeditious Retreat and/or Haste need to have a 30% striding item permanently equipped because they are terrible at this game.
    Honestly curious - so when fighting anything that strips DW (other mobs than beholders strip buffs) you stop in the middle of combat, unequip the goggles that presumably have some important stats on them, recast DW (which might instantly be stripped again), then re-equip your "main" goggles?

    And also, can you please remind me what server you're on? I like to avoid overly-judgmental players. Thanks!

  12. #52
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    I hear the same thing often about Blindness immunity items. You won't need it until you do. And then it takes three steps: Find blindness potion, use potion, put something on to prevent future blind attempts until what blinded you is dead or has killed you.

    FTW.

  13. #53
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,950

    Default

    Deathblock helps protect you from Intsa-Death Effects -> Some will stop at thinking well gee that means I cannot be insta-killed, I have really good saves so I don't need this - They also forget that many insta-death spells are Save for Damage - Some of this damage can run 500+ (I've had a Save against FoD that still hit for 1500). What Deathblock does is totally prevents even having to make the save (So no damage)

    Deathblock is not needed when Deathward is available (and is not in an environment where Dispell is common)

    However, In any content where Insta-Death is not being used against you it is not needed.

  14. #54
    Community Member FestusHood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    My characters have the silver flame talismans. I only wear them when i am fighting beholders. I have tangleroot clickys, plenty of deathward potions from various sources. I almost never use them.

    Deathward isn't hard to get without resorting to rare items. If there isn't a caster in the party that has it, I will always have a hireling that does.

    Yes, there are certain casters that dispel all your buffs. Yes, there are casters that spam death spells and level drains at you. What there is not a lot of, is intersection between the two. Not that many casters spam both dispel and death spells.

    Someone mentioned scorrow. Yup, these guys will dispel your buffs instantly, almost every time you see them. What they don't do is cast anything that you need deathward for. Has anyone ever been fingered, or evervated in offering of blood? I can't remember it ever happening to me. Granted, i haven't run it much on epic.

    Needless to say, i don't permanently slot a deathblock item, except on my warforged, because i found an augment and wanted to use it.

    Can pale masters be instakilled? I actually don't know.

  15. #55
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    You don't ever need deathblock if you have death ward because death ward INCLUDES death block.
    Up until the beholder / caster dispels it. That's usually about 1 second before they nail you with FoD (or the like).

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Since you can have multiple Visors of the Flesh Render, you have all of the death ward that you need for any quest except those that have lots of beholders. Your analogy is terrible. If you are capable of remembering to use your death ward clicky when you go into a quest and when you finish shrining, then you do not need death block because you HAVE death block included in your death ward. If you are not capable of remembering to do that, then you should probably consider getting a death block item.
    Up until that whole "dispel" thing happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Similarly, Wizards who aren't capable of remembering to cast Expeditious Retreat and/or Haste need to have a 30% striding item permanently equipped because they are terrible at this game.
    Which can also be dispelled. However, I digress...

  16. #56
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post

    Can pale masters be instakilled? I actually don't know.
    Only unless the go out of form.

    Either that or I have been monumentally lucky...which historically has never happened in my life...so there you are.

  17. #57
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    Don't anyone get me wrong - Deathward is far better. Up until my pally got it, he was getting neg-ed leveled all over the place. It was a real problem. Deathward is better by far.

    Except in the case of casters and beholders. And yes, I've run into a few casters that dispel and FoD. Or the caster hits dispel, and the melee mob can vorpal. Stuff like that.

    Deathblock is like wearing your longjohns on a cold winter's day. Yeah, maybe you could go out in with just your tighty-whities on underneath, but don't complain if your legs are freezing cold...

  18. #58
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Maintain low tones and caps lock, friend. You're overreacting. Death Ward is rare enough without knowledge of where to find it outside of what's already been noted here. For non-magic users, it's a rare ability unless you farm for 10 Visors, since they work for a limited time, and shrines aren't always available to reset them. Experienced players know where to find Death Ward options, but until they know, it's rare for a non-magic user. That's just how gaming goes.

    That's why we're talking about both it and the OP's question on Deathblock, since it, too, is a scarcity without experience and knowledge that we've all shared here. Both are needed. Nobody's an instant expert, and "yelling" isn't getting your point across.

    ...if on there were a thread on the DDO Forums that mentioned something about Visors of the Flesh Renders and where to find them (Tangleroot chain end reward).

    Oh, wait, it's THIS thread.

    It's handy to have a deathblock item. It's very nice to have available to you in the quests where it's appropriate (i.e. quests where casters spam dispel and also fling Necromancy instakill spells and quests with Beholders, as I had previously mentioned). It's not something that you need to have slotted all the time unless you happen to have a yellow slot that you're not using for anything else.

    Having some way to stop incoming death spells is very important. Having Deathblock is not very important in most quests. Learning what quests Deathblock is useful for is better than just wearing it all the time because you can't be bothered to figure out what kind of casters throw what kind of spells. Learning the game will be more of a help than simply wearing generic items that block out part of the game for you automatically.


    Here's another way of looking at it that might help: you don't have an infinite number of gear slots. Any gear slot that is taken up with a Deathblock item isn't available for another item that could be more useful in that quest. If you can use Death Ward instead of a Deathblock item, then you get to have both the Deathblock effect (included in Death Ward) PLUS you get the immunity to other spells and effects that Death Ward provides PLUS you get to wear that other useful item where you had been wearing the Deathblock item. Do you happen to have a free slot where you can wear a Deathblock item? Then go ahead and wear it until you get your hands on an item that is more useful (a Torc, a better Armor/Robe/Docent, etc). But once you get an item that is more useful than the Deathblock item in most quests, then START USING THAT OTHER ITEM and just keep the Deathblock item for the specific quests where you have lots of dispel spamming casters or Beholders.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  19. #59
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Only unless the go out of form.

    Either that or I have been monumentally lucky...which historically has never happened in my life...so there you are.
    Which is why my Pale Master carries both a Visors of the Flesh Renders and a Deathblock item. Both of those items are situationally useful even though I stay in form most of the time.


    Wait, did I just say that I have a Deathblock item? Why, yes I did, indeed. It's very handy to *have* a Deathblock item. Just don't wear it all the time since most quests don't have casters that spam Dispel and most quests don't have Beholders. Keep the Deathblock item for the quests where it's appropriate and keep the Death Ward clickie(s) for the rest of the quests. Don't waste a permanent gear slot on something that you only need a small fraction of the time.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  20. #60
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Someone mentioned scorrow. Yup, these guys will dispel your buffs instantly, almost every time you see them. What they don't do is cast anything that you need deathward for. Has anyone ever been fingered, or evervated in offering of blood? I can't remember it ever happening to me. Granted, i haven't run it much on epic.
    Scorrow actually got me to make a Cannith crafted 30 resist Sonic ring. I didn't wear it all the time, but those stupid, hateful Scorrow stripping my Resist Energy: Sonic irritated me enough that I actually made a Sonic resist item that I would wear in certain quests.

    But I certainly don't wear it in every quest. I just put it on in the specific quests where it was appropriate (I actually just made it for Epic Offering of Blood). Just like the Deathblock items that I carry, but usually don't wear.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload