Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fun with Maruts

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    But lore-wise vampires are undead, same as zombies and skeletons in that they die and are reanimated. They just retain sentience. I dunno; it seems like you could at least stall a marut by making the argument.
    Vampires are dead, yes...the soul of the original person is out in the appropriate Outer Plane, so the Maruts should be happy.

Its only really Liches that they have a problem with, since their souls are bound in their phylacteries, and not "moving on" like they should.

Community Member Culver.Civello's Avatar

Talk about putting a damper on the whole 'invisi-run to the quest entrance'. XD

or Fighting a dragon in GH or King's Forest only to realize they now have an ally. lol

Lost Legions of Sarlona................................. Tyrs Paladium of Ghallanda
    Kobay . Kobai . Artisti . Kobot . Ezike . Dynic.......................... Ezike . Kobai

I like the idea,sort of whatever you have killed most in you monster manual would be stalking you in wilderness areas.

Only for character kills though.

Community Member

I love this idea! In fact, to me, it even sound worthy of an expansion. Let me explain:

The first expansion included a whole new realm (that Forgotten one) to be explored, three adventure packs, epic destinies and some other stuff. I pre-purchased it and was happy I did.

The second expansion included two adventure packs and the Iconics. It didn't sound like an expansion so much as two updates pushed together. I didn't buy it.

This Marut idea can change the game in a wonderfully new way. Having these things attack us in seemingly random quests and wilderness areas after using/abusing res-shrines will seriously add to the excitement of the game. Add in the idea to have personal consequences for reaching Slayer 3 or whatever is icing on the cake.

That sounds like the game would become more character driven and have more role playing depth. Put that together with a few adventure packs with the lore that Worldcrafter was talking about and you will find me waiting in line to pre-purchase that expansion pack.

Thumbs way up.

Community Member

Stalked by beholders. *shudder*

Community Member

City of Heroes did this with their equivalent of "iconic" characters, who were called something like Peacebringers. Their backstory involved an enemy called...uh...the Nictus? and if you had a Peacebringer in the group then these special Nictus enemies could spawn and they'd go for the Peacebringer like a Rust Monster to a Warforged. They did cause party wipes from time to time, and to allay that particular issue... no one ever seemed to get mad the Peacebringer. People seemed to enjoy their sudden and unexpected appearances; I know I did. Something similar could probably work in DDO, though it might be harder top implement smoothly in some situations as DDO's quests feature far more exceptions to the standard gameplay than you got in City of Heroes.

Community Member

As far as Maruts go, I'd like to think that the powers of Mechanus don't launch their inevitables ASAP upon learning someone is eluding death. They allow a small grace period for the beings on the prime material plane to sort out their own mess, maybe send a memo down the line to followers of LN deities. Takes a bit of power to open up a portal to send things from one plane to another, and they probably have their own protocols they have to follow, forms to fill out, etc. It's only when someone has been successful at cheating death for too long that Maruts are sent to go deal with the problem.

Now, with undead, Maruts care about unintelligent undead as much as someone animating a wooden crate. The life and soul's not there, it's just magic animating them. A marut would only pause to smack any that get in its way. Similarly, most intelligent undead aren't really the marut's forte', because they're not really cheating death. Someone who becomes a ghoul, a wraith, a ghost, etc. is mostly brought about by ill-fate or a curse, not actual desire to keep existing.

Then we get to those people wanting to become a lich to leave behind the mortal worries and to keep on going, or someone turning into a vampire not because they were forced to, but because they wanted the power and to live forever. It is these people that ping up on the Marut's list of "squish them." If memory serves, the individual stalked by a marut in VoN is a particularly old vampy, who has eluded and avoided destruction several times. Someone in Mechanus got a bead on her, checked her record, and decided that she was way overdue on meeting her final end - let loose the Marut!

At least, that is how I interpret maruts.

And, while I remember it... https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ns-More-Random for my take on the Hunted concept. And another of my own ideas revitalizes.
    Last edited by Worldcrafter; 11-01-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Anything can be explained by drunken wizards.

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkly View Post
    Yes. The HORROR. Isn't it great?

Quote Originally Posted by Worldcrafter View Post

Then we get to those people wanting to become a lich to leave behind the mortal worries and to keep on going, or someone turning into a vampire not because they were forced to, but because they wanted the power and to live forever. It is these people that ping up on the Marut's list of "squish them." If memory serves, the individual stalked by a marut in VoN is a particularly old vampy, who has eluded and avoided destruction several times. Someone in Mechanus got a bead on her, checked her record, and decided that she was way overdue on meeting her final end - let loose the Marut!

At least, that is how I interpret maruts.

And, while I remember it... https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ns-More-Random for my take on the Hunted concept. And another of my own ideas revitalizes.
    So basically, Pale Master wizards would end up as primary targets on their list. Glad I'm a sorcerer, LOL jk. But as for the players themselves, those that aren't part of perma-death guilds should classify as those eluding death. I really do like your interpretation a lot though, along with how you differentiated the different types of undead. That was really great.

The original Fallout series had a "Karma" engine... for example you could be labeled a Child Killer and would be hunted down because of it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkly View Post
    Eye-stalked?

Conversely, I don't see anything from a Chaotic plane actually being organized or goal-oriented enough to hunt someone down like that...

Community Member DiamondPrinceJC's Avatar
    In the dark forests of an exotic plane called Oregon

This really would change the game dynamic. I love it! It would keep everyone on their toes and add suspense to memorized dungeon runs
    Aztoth: Cannith Drow Assassin (2nd life) Borealice: Cannith Half-Orc Barb (2nd life) Balrolf The Fallen: Cannith Human Favored Soul Nyllo : Khyber Halfling Assassin
    **Guild Leader of House Nix'uldo'ch** **Guild Leader of Fundamental Dungeoneers**

"Ah, Korths. I love the nostalgia of TRing. Ahhh."

<bam!> portal opens in front of our newly young adventurer, out steps a giant spider-fiend-woman.

"Llolth! But...but...we got rid of you!"

"HA-HA-HA. mORTAL. nOW yOU wILL sUFFER."

"But I just TRd! No fair!"

"aND tHAT iS wHY i cHOOSE tHIS mOMENT tO aTTACK."

<munch, munch, munch>

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    "Ah, Korths. I love the nostalgia of TRing. Ahhh."

<bam!> portal opens in front of our newly young adventurer, out steps a giant spider-fiend-woman.

"Llolth! But...but...we got rid of you!"

"HA-HA-HA. mORTAL. nOW yOU wILL sUFFER."

"But I just TRd! No fair!"

"aND tHAT iS wHY i cHOOSE tHIS mOMENT tO aTTACK."

<munch, munch, munch>
    Do you have any idea of how many new players would **** their pants at seeing this? They would think this was the most badass (harsh and unforgiving) game ever!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattimeo_the_Sorcere View Post
    As I completed another VON 3 quest today (the one where we fight the Marut at the end to save Veil the vampiress drow) I was wondering how it would be in-game if our own characters were to similarly be stalked by Maruts.
    A long time ago, the developers were pondering such to add it to that slippery death capstone of a rogue.

But they ran out of time.

Wait.

Consequences to our alignment choices?!?!? (sometimes) Moral choices coming back to haunt us?!?

Madness I say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12