Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default The Cannith Guild Union

Good morning, afternoon, and/or night, folks.

Many of you might know me, some of you might not. For those who don't, I'm Capricorpus, completionist and proud officer of Clan Battlehammer.

The problem:

As someone who browses the forums daily, and posts somewhat less frequently, I've been noticing (as I'm sure everyone on here has) a very large amount of discontent. This issue is, of course, not exclusive to the forums; anyone playing the game has undoubtedly seen more than his/her fair share of disgruntled individuals. Of course, the things that are being complained about are, more often than not, entirely legitimate! Unfortunately, there's a dearth of constructive criticism, and anybody saying that Turbine developers don't listen to their player base just because they generally don't feel a need to respond a dozen times to a dozen similar threads is being silly.

As a Turbine developer, it's undoubtedly overwhelming to see a massive amount of posts on any given subject. Furthermore, since most of the forumites can't seem to agree on anything other than "things are broken and something should probably be done", as a developer and/or producer, I'm sure it's difficult to determine what exactly the player base DOES want. This is, of course, made even more complicated by the fact that the majority of players aren't even active on the forums!

So, what's the point of my long-winded wall of text?

My proposed solution:

As stated in the previous paragraph, one of the problems Turbine undoubtedly encounters is a lack of unity among their player base. How can they "fix" something when nobody can agree on how it should be fixed, or even on whether or not anything is broken? Complaining on the forums is unproductive, and undoubtedly depressing for the developers to look at - who wants to read a 30 page long thread where 50 different people spend time bashing the product you worked hard on without offering any realistic solutions? So, here's what we can do.

We, the players of Cannith, can form a group that I've tentatively termed the "Cannith Guild Union", which would work as follows:

- Every Cannith guild that's interested can choose someone to represent them. Each representative gets one vote.
    - These guild representatives will meet and discuss things, laying their opinions out for discussion with others
    - After discussion, there will be a vote. Based on the result of that vote, someone (a representative of the representatives - I'd be more than happy to fill that role, but I'd also be more than happy to have a vote about who should do it) attempts to contact Turbine with an opinion that, presumably, should reflect that of a large portion of the Cannith server. Assuming Turbine is interested in hearing about it, and I don't know why they wouldn't be, they would be able to know the general feelings of a lot of people, phrased eloquently and in a non confrontational manner, by speaking to one person.

So, what are the advantages of this?

Instead of a whole bunch of people posting things on the forums, much of which isn't constructive in the slightest, our goal would be to be able to approach Turbine with a clear opinion that's been discussed and agreed upon. Additionally, we want to attempt to offer solutions when possible. As it says earlier in this post, one of the key advantages could be the ability to have a mature, non-confrontational discussion with realistic expectations and goals.

Another advantage would be the larger sample size for opinions - as I also mentioned earlier, most players aren't active forumites, and with this solution, their opinions would be given equal weight. Obviously, the people who don't go on the forums would have a harder time finding out about this, but if we can actually get this started, broadcasting in /advice or something would be a way we could potentially overcome that obstacle.

At this point, I've been writing this for more than an hour, and I'm getting antsy. I'm aware that I haven't fully explored every facet of how this would work, but I think I've mostly outline my basic proposal. I genuinely believe that, should people choose to do this, Turbine will choose to give us the time of day, and I really hope people don't respond in a typically sarcastic and/or pessimistic way.

If you've got any questions and/or comments, please post and I'll do my best to respond. If you've read my entire wall of text, I salute you.

Cheers.

~ Cap
    Cannith: Capricorpus (triple all heroic/iconic/epic past lives, no stones) / Capiorcorpus / Capicorpus / Capricopus / Iconless the Hero

Having perused your suggestion I have a few issues:

1. Unions are Bad Mmkay!

2. So basically any guild that doesn't join doesn't get a say - Lovely - NOT!

3. 95% of the people in the big guilds who do join WON'T get a Say - One Person per guild = Rofl!

4. As someone who regularly posts on these forums and who does attempt to make constructive suggestions wherever possible AND as someone who plays this game very differently to yourself I will continue to do things my own way thank you very much. {Not having a go at you personally or your gaming preferences - Just saying that those preferences should NOT be given preference over other people's.}.

5. Oh and Unions are and always have been a bad idea that gives far too much power to a minority - Completely the Opposite of what they were designed to do btw!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    1. Unions are Bad Mmkay!
    5. Oh and Unions are and always have been a bad idea that gives far too much power to a minority - Completely the Opposite of what they were designed to do btw!
    You seem to very much dislike the "union" terminology - if you'd prefer, you can think of it as a "group of people". It obviously isn't a union in the typical sense, and if you've got a better name, I'm all ears!

Since, regardless of whether or not this succeeds, it won't (and shouldn't be) the sole source of feedback Turbine will be receiving, I'm not sure what your issue is. The majority of people that play DDO don't really participate much, if at all, on the forums, so you aren't losing any opinions by consolidating a whole bunch of them.

3. 95% of the people in the big guilds who do join WON'T get a Say - One Person per guild = Rofl!
    The idea is for the representatives of each guild to base their votes on what the folks in their guilds want. Although having more than one representative for exceptionally large guilds could be discussed, it wouldn't make sense for divach ruin to have 30 representatives. Guild size based on active members might have to be taken into consideration, but not to such an extent that it would overwhelm small guilds, many of which contain the top spenders and players, who would presumably have more to say.

4. As someone who regularly posts on these forums and who does attempt to make constructive suggestions wherever possible AND as someone who plays this game very differently to yourself I will continue to do things my own way thank you very much. {Not having a go at you personally or your gaming preferences - Just saying that those preferences should NOT be given preference over other people's.}.
    I'm not entirely sure what part of my original post told you so much about how I play the game, considering only the first sentence or two made any reference to my characters at all. Additionally, since I didn't mention the word "preferences" once, I'm not sure what you think mine are, but you're welcome to disagree with them without even hearing them.

I assumed I made it clear in the original post that this would not be a way to convince Turbine to give anyone's "preferences" greater weight. The idea was to gather and consolidate opinions, and then approach Turbine with them, in an attempt to give the collected opinions more poignancy.

I'm glad "doing things your own way" is working out so well for you, and I wish you nothing but the best of luck in continuing to do so. I'm sure it's been very effective so far!
    Cannith: Capricorpus (triple all heroic/iconic/epic past lives, no stones) / Capiorcorpus / Capicorpus / Capricopus / Iconless the Hero

I don't mind so much whether it is server, guild or another form of representation of the players. Important to me is Turbine supporting this idea and responding to the opinions and suggestions.
    So before an official statement on this appears I will hold my breath.

Just leaving this here, as it's related: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...uncil-in-LOTRO
    Last edited by gDra; 10-31-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    NedrilFavored Soul . GidraMonkcher . LambalorBard . Cannith

I don't play LOTRO, so I don't know what went on there, but my plan is to attempt to group up independently before going to Turbine, instead of holding our breath for them to come to us.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Interesting idea. I'll keep an eye out for future development into this and if I think of anything to help I'll let you know.

/cheers.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorpus View Post
    The idea is for the representatives of each guild to base their votes on what the folks in their guilds want. Although having more than one representative for exceptionally large guilds could be discussed, it wouldn't make sense for divach ruin to have 30 representatives. Guild size based on active members might have to be taken into consideration, but not to such an extent that it would overwhelm small guilds, many of which contain the top spenders and players, who would presumably have more to say.
    I was thinking more about Guilds such as ATCZ, Templar and Silver Legion than the likes of Divach Ruin.

I had serious issues with one guild a while ago PRE their opening up of Guild Rectuitment {Since when EVERY SINGLE person from that Guild I've run with has been great!}.
    Strangely enough Cannithtrade which I know you also follow is famously anti that guild for the very reasons that I now have no issues with them.

So I know for a fact that the people you're likely to get as representatives will not be truly representative of the Guild as a whole.

I'm not entirely sure what part of my original post told you so much about how I play the game, considering only the first sentence or two made any reference to my characters at all. Additionally, since I didn't mention the word "preferences" once, I'm not sure what you think mine are, but you're welcome to disagree with them without even hearing them.

I assumed I made it clear in the original post that this would not be a way to convince Turbine to give anyone's "preferences" greater weight. The idea was to gather and consolidate opinions, and then approach Turbine with them, in an attempt to give the collected opinions more poignancy.

I'm glad "doing things your own way" is working out so well for you, and I wish you nothing but the best of luck in continuing to do so. I'm sure it's been very effective so far!
    Honestly we don't find ourselves in the same groups very often {maybe a handful of times ever!} BUT you are quite famous on Cannith so I feel safe in stating that our Preferences most probably do not align.

As for consolidating opinions - Honestly you're NOT!

All this will do is give a larger say to a small few.

There's on average between 50 and 70 people in Cannithtrade when I log on {And alt} and if you took the majority of opinions in that chat channel as a cross-section of the whole server you'd be doing a massive disservice to the game!

I regularly have massive differences of opinion with the two gamers who introduced me to DDO - I can't see the effect of something like this being good for the game.

And being one voice in a "Union" as you call it would NOT Stop me from posting my opinions on these forums either.

In fact if I allowed myself to be shouted down by a small number of people in said "Union" my opinions and suggestions would not even reach the Devs or the Majority.

So I will continue to post my views on these forums where they can be seen by all thank you very much.

Oh and yes...If you want to consolidate views then by all means do so BUT a better way to go about it would be to actually find likeminded people to form your "Union" so as to be sure that differences of opinion would be less likely to blow up into fullgrown Rows!

And the name Cannith Guild Union does rather come across as a One Off "This is the only view that matters"

We already have Guilds and Chatchannels and Websites and Vent/Teamspeak etc. to find like minded individuals.

We absolutely do NOT need a Meta-Guild that stomps all over the opinions of the Majority just because the "Representatives" put forward to vote have more strongly held views {and yes those representatives would have the strongest views - It's Human Nature.}.

Let's take a "Korthos Army" Guild of Blind Invites as an example - If it has a Core of 20 veterans who know each other well and play the same way BUT also have 300 others who have no say then it's NOT a valid cross-section!

How about my own Guild - With just the Four Active Players {11 total accounts at this time} - Would a group of 20 similar guilds be considered a valid Cross-Section either?

Oh and last of all - What minimum level requirement are you going to apply before accepting a Guild as part of this "Union"?

I was thinking more about Guilds such as ATCZ, Templar and Silver Legion than the likes of Divach Ruin.

I had serious issues with one guild a while ago PRE their opening up of Guild Rectuitment {Since when EVERY SINGLE person from that Guild I've run with has been great!}.
    Strangely enough Cannithtrade which I know you also follow is famously anti that guild for the very reasons that I now have no issues with them.

So I know for a fact that the people you're likely to get as representatives will not be truly representative of the Guild as a whole.
    Well, ATCZ is significantly smaller than the other three, despite the recent influx of new members, but the point is as follows: I'm aware that no system can be perfect, especially when it's something like this. However, I think we've got a better chance of being listened to in a group rather than each of us posting our own opinions, therefore, I'm attempting to formulate the best imperfect solution I could think of.

Hope that makes things a bit more clear!

There's on average between 50 and 70 people in Cannithtrade when I log on {And alt} and if you took the majority of opinions in that chat channel as a cross-section of the whole server you'd be doing a massive disservice to the game!
    I agree wholeheartedly. The people in that channel can voice their opinions, but so can everyone else. Therefore, like I said earlier, I'd like to make an effort to make this concept actually go mainstream so even the less public guilds and players can participate, if they so choose.

I regularly have massive differences of opinion with the two gamers who introduced me to DDO - I can't see the effect of something like this being good for the game.

And being one voice in a "Union" as you call it would NOT Stop me from posting my opinions on these forums either.So I will continue to post my views on these forums where they can be seen by all thank you very much.
    Disagreement is healthy, and nobody's asking you to stop posting your opinions, whether or not you were to join this group.

Oh and yes...If you want to consolidate views then by all means do so BUT a better way to go about it would be to actually find likeminded people to form your "Union" so as to be sure that differences of opinion would be less likely to blow up into fullgrown Rows!
    I WANT differences of opinion, so everyone can discuss. Hopefully, people who disagreed with one particular decision that was voted on and agreed upon by the vast majority would be able to tolerate it for the greater good.

And the name Cannith Guild Union does rather come across as a One Off "This is the only view that matters"
    We'd certainly want to matter, but we certainly wouldn't be the ONLY view that mattered, not to players or devs.

We already have Guilds and Chatchannels and Websites and Vent/Teamspeak etc. to find like minded individuals.
    The idea isn't to find like minded individuals, the idea is to bring player opinions to Turbine in a more effective manner than what's currently happening.

We absolutely do NOT need a Meta-Guild that stomps all over the opinions of the Majority just because the "Representatives" put forward to vote have more strongly held views {and yes those representatives would have the strongest views - It's Human Nature.}.
    Please refer to my earlier response involving "the few people who disagree tolerating stuff for the greater good".

Oh and last of all - What minimum level requirement are you going to apply before accepting a Guild as part of this "Union"?
    As of now, my plan is to allow any real guild to join. By "real" guild, I don't mean a level requirement, I mean no bot guilds and/or people creating their "guild of one" just to get another vote.

ATCZ would get a vote, and, should they choose to do so, CinnamonBunnies would get a vote.

The balance would come from
    1) Exceptionally casual players who don't care at all wouldn't bother joining
    2) Uneducated, semi-casual players would be able to hear the perspective of the more serious players, and formulate opinions.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Well,As of now, my plan is to allow any real guild to join. By "real" guild, I don't mean a level requirement, I mean no bot guilds and/or people creating their "guild of one" just to get another vote.
    Just curious on this point here. Would exceptions be made to long standing players that prefer to maintain a solo guild? I can think of at least a few that do this.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member Th3ThirdFall3n's Avatar

Red face

1. Unions are Bad Mmkay!

*Snip*
    *Snip*
    *Snip*
    So yea, most of that was just a bunch of cry-baby stuff. IMO ideas like this are always good, ASSUMING they work as planned. I mean HEY, if I don't PERSONALLY have to get off my pike to go rag on Turbine about something they're doing wrong, then I'm doing something right.

With that said I'd like to bring attention to that little thing there: ATCZ doesn't actually have A LOT of people. If you've ever been into our mumble we've got idk... 11 INDIVIDUALS MAX that are from our guild who play actively and join in mumble, and only about a couple who don't use the mumble. We've got a secret door full of toons which you're more than welcome to try and detect for yourself, but not a very large amount of PEOPLE. So I wouldn't count Zerg Tribe among the *high volume* guilds. Not anything like Divach(eww) and MUCH LESS so like Templawl(even more eww. Thanks to Vyrn for helping me correct that spelling btw. And though he's no longer a Temp, the stench is strong in him).

ALSO most, if not all, of Zerg Tribe tends to agree on relatively every aspect of the game we find import in forming an opinion about. Worthy examples include, but are not limited to: People who are dumb, Xp pieces are Zergbites(yea, there's a cereal), DDO is Mario Kart and Lotusfly is Yoshi, and Mabar's Wand of Detect Secret Horse. SOOOOOO, I wouldn't see anything wrong with the idea in reference to our guild considering that no one's really gonna whine about, "Wahh wahh, my voice is not being heard." Hell we might even bring back Heavyarms to be our Rep on that(might wanna contact Gordy for details on that lol).

Finally: I loved the Cannithtrade reference xD Really bro, Cannithtrade lost it's value as a source of ANYTHING other than trolling ages ago, and all those who STILL do stuff like trade and talk about DDO in any credible sense have since moved on to better avenues of communication or simply left the channel, but they altogether ignore it for the most part even if they do still have it.

Lastly, I will be Completionist next life. Just saying

+1 Caprimancer
    The Photomancer, Zerg Tribe's resident piking pirate.
    (Tell): Abbinormal tells you, 'thank you for opening my eyes to what people think of teamwork, for bringing to the light what this game really is, have it all you want, as soon as i log out, I am removing this garbage from my computer'

Based on responses that I've gotten both on the forums and in game, the list of guilds that are on board to one extent or another seems to be:

- Clan Battlehammer
    - Ordo Draconis
    - Coup de Grace
    - The Hand of Death
    - Fortitude
    - A Tribe Called Zerg

I'm still awaiting responses from a couple people, and I'll continue reaching out to some mainstream guilds tomorrow.

If enough people are on board, I plan on starting to reach out to the wider server group and beginning to formulate a process of implementation over the weekend.

Grats in advance, Photo, even though I'll probably say it again later. Yay! :P

Community Member

Default Guild of One

I started John's guild. It is a guild of one player, myself. I am as powerful as the next guild. The game si not about guild play to begin with, it's about players. The is the ultimate vote in of the game, make money. Personally, I am surprised Turbine doesn't post simple thing such as polls or provide server status on the home page. I'm a VIP player. I pay to play. For all the moaning gamers make, there are people that still pay. There are people that enjoy the game. I think anyone that has invested real currency in the game should have a say if you open the game up to player decision making. Here is a better solution, it's called data mining and analytics. Turbine should mine it's own data of complaints, criticisms and ideas to formulate a better response to the community as a whole. Turbine can prioritize things based on complexity, cost and impact to provide us a preview of things to come. This concept is called vision and leadership. Turbine actual has the tools it needs to look at player concerns and address them while expanding the experience. This person is on the mark about unions. Ironically, Unions take power away from the player.

1. Unions are Bad Mmkay!

Oh these are the kind of threads that make me glad i didn't waste my time randomly reading ddo forums
    All the trolls and truth
    it's so hilarious

~ Love ~ Yours Truely
    Officer Of Templar - Now Recruiting
    KennyBurns - Electric Savant DPS~ KennyFails The Completionist - Rogue Stick Life 15/15 Completionist ~ KennyHeals - Fvs Healer~ KennyRanges - TWF Manyshoot Of Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyburns View Post
    All the trolls
    Burn Kenny Burn!

Burn Kenny Burn!
    If only there was enough fire in the world to do such
    Officer Of Templar - Now Recruiting
    KennyBurns - Electric Savant DPS~ KennyFails The Completionist - Rogue Stick Life 15/15 Completionist ~ KennyHeals - Fvs Healer~ KennyRanges - TWF Manyshoot Of Cannith

Really nice idea Cap I can certainly see where you trying to go with this.

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Really nice idea Cap I can certainly see where you trying to go with this.

Stoner81.
    Thanks, hopefully other people will agree!

Hi Capri!

People dont just complain after a (usually un)finished product, but before. They complain when its just planned, and say whats the problem. They complain before their hard work is done, but the dev's managers often dont listen at all. Sometimes they do, when the rage is so high, the forum blows.

Anyway, if someone from turbine posts here and say they are in, our guild is in as well.
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

Community Member

I'm in.

There are some details on your post that I disagree with, but the idea of actually sitting down and talking about stuff is a good one.

How is this being set up? A mailing list, maybe?
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Quote Originally Posted by Moltier View Post
    ....Anyway, if someone from turbine posts here and say they are in, our guild is in as well.
    As you undoubtedly realize, the odds of Turbine posting here before any system is formed are slim.

My plan is to implement some sort of system to do what I outlined in the initial post, and then contact Turbine to attempt to work out a way we could be able to talk directly to them semi-regularly. Ideally, they'll understand that the purpose of this isn't to complain, but to move forward with communication channels that will be mutually beneficial!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I'm in.

There are some details on your post that I disagree with, but the idea of actually sitting down and talking about stuff is a good one.

How is this being set up? A mailing list, maybe?
    My initial post was meant as an idea in a pretty abstract sense, the actual implementation will definitely be very much based on feedback I receive from the people interested in participating, and I'm sure a lot will be changed.

Like I said above, the implementation isn't set in stone yet, but a mailing list sounds like a good way to avoid availability issues.

My current vision for the system, assuming Turbine gets on board, is as follows:
    1) Any member of the group can send an email, forum PM, or in-game letter to the chairman of the group, currently me, detailing an issue and/or question they want to lay on the table
    2) The most popular issues are sent out as an email to all of the members of the group, asking for their opinions/votes
    3) A meeting to discuss issues is arranged at a time that hopefully works for a lot of people, although anybody unable to attend would still get to vote via email without participating in the discussion. The discussion would probably be held via an in-game chat channel, so people can continue whatever they're currently doing if they just want to read without having much to say on the subject.
    4) An issue would merit an official stance based on gaining the votes of a significant majority of the group members. The disagreeing minority would hopefully, in the interest of maintaining a working system, be willing to accept the official stance.
    5) Once the votes have been tallied up, Turbine will be contacted in what I, in my idealized system, envision as a short weekly (or every other week) discussion. Our official position will be mentioned, and the Turbine representative will hopefully answer a couple popular questions and explain their stance on the subject. Hopefully, they'd then take our opinion (which would hopefully represent a decent chunk of the server) into consideration when implementing changes.
    6) The boiled down version of the discussion will then be posted (probably not the discussion itself, in the interest of stopping the Turbine representative for feeling too much of a need to weigh his/her words carefully) in text format either on these forums or on an independent blog, so it'll be accessible to anyone who's interested.

Like I said, this is a very basic (and idealized) idea, so any ideas/suggestions are more than welcomed!

Anyways, thanks to both of you for expressing your interest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast