Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DDO fantasy league

Let's play a game:
    Pretend DDO was a fantasy soccer team and you were the general manager. Now let's assume* that your recent expansion was a dud and so was your Halloween** event. You let an exploit go on for too long and you banned a whole bunch of players to cover up. The most publicity you've had was sites talking about players having a howdoyoucallthem (strike?) about your proposed changes on wayfinder.

You are loosing players=money fast and guess what, your boss over at warner is looking at you sideways, wondering if he should cut the damages and be done with it and you.

What would you do to fix things up? How would you cut your losses and try to maintain your well paying job and position? Who would be the first you would give the boot? What would be the first thing you'd do period?

(My choice would be start looking for a new job cause I messed up j/k hahaha)

* I have no idea how well the expansion has sold. Anyone in the know of how we could find out for sure?
    ** I actually liked the new rewards for mabar but they seem so little, almost like a half - hour meeting decision, an afterthought.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    Let's play a game:
    Pretend DDO was a fantasy soccer team and you were the general manager. Now let's assume* that your recent expansion was a dud and so was your Halloween** event. You let an exploit go on for too long and you banned a whole bunch of players to cover up. The most publicity you've had was sites talking about players having a howdoyoucallthem (strike?) about your proposed changes on wayfinder.

You are loosing players=money fast and guess what, your boss over at warner is looking at you sideways, wondering if he should cut the damages and be done with it and you.

What would you do to fix things up? How would you cut your losses and try to maintain your well paying job and position? Who would be the first you would give the boot? What would be the first thing you'd do period?

(My choice would be start looking for a new job cause I messed up j/k hahaha)

* I have no idea how well the expansion has sold. Anyone in the know of how we could find out for sure?
    ** I actually liked the new rewards for mabar but they seem so little, almost like a half - hour meeting decision, an afterthought.
    A few things:

1. North americans they don't like soccer like the rest of the world. Baseball or basketball would be a better choice.
    2. I wouldn't call it a strike, I'd say it was a protest.
    3. Warner is not looking at Turbine like that, perhaps at DDO and DDO's crew. Last word in that sentece was supposed to simulate a typo, with an S. But I'm trying to avoid some retaliation from oversensitive people.
    4. How do I know they're not angry with Turbine's errors? Turbine is developing WB's new game its a DC heroes mmo, don't remember its name and I'm not worried about it 'cause DC sucks IMO.
    5. The answer to your question is: I'd be sad and depressed to know how bad I've did my work in the company. How would I try to fix my mess?

Its simple. I would realize that DDO is not a Turbine's game. Nor its devs' or its employees'. I would understand that this game belongs to its players, to the people who have devoted so much time and so much passion to it and now they're angry about what I've turned the game into.
    Then I would try my best to listen to my playerbase, make usefull polls about the changes I would like to do and see what they think of it. I would reach out for my players and try to be closer to them. I would invite them to participate in the game's development and improvement. I would talk to them with respect knowing that the success of my product depends on how they see it, how they feel about it.

I would try to give them a way to reach me and to give me feedback instead of giving them the silence treatment I've given all this time.
    Last edited by HernandoCortez; 10-30-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: unintentional typo
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Community Member

Hmm... well, going with the fantasy soccer idea, I'd go with a 2-4-4 formation, replace the current goalie with Teh_Troll, make Ungood and Chai the strikers, put Silverleafeon and voodoogroves as sweepers, Thrudh as left fullback, a random minotaur as right fullback, and fill mid-field with kobolds.
    Last edited by Worldcrafter; 10-31-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Anything can be explained by drunken wizards.

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Worldcrafter View Post
    Hmm... well, going with the fantasy soccer idea, I'd go with a 2-4-4 formation, replace the current goalie with Teh_Troll, make Ungood and Chai the strikers, put Silverleafeon and voodoograves as sweepers, Thrudh as left fullback, a random minotaur as right fullback, and fill mid-field with kobolds.
    Hahaha. I like the fantasy forum team idea. That reminds me, I was wondering about who had the most forum posts the other day. Does anyone know how to find this out?

Before I clicked on the thread I thought we would be picking classes. My first pick would be a splashed up bard.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 10-30-2013 at 10:02 PM.

How about a real sport like

1. American football

2. Rugby

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Hahaha. I like the fantasy forum team idea. That reminds me, I was wondering about who had the most forum posts the other day. Does anyone know how to find this out?

Before I clicked on the thread I thought we would be picking classes. My first pick would be a splashed up bard.
    The most would likely be me or maybe one other person

"Hey! I got a piece of the +1 Butter Knife of Victory! Ah-oh, wait, wait. It's just a crummy, normal +1 dagger of ghostbane..."

Still laughing over this

[QUOTE=Uska;5153849]How about a real sport like

1. American football

Oh you mean that sport that has to stop for plays every 3 seconds, and has quarters to rest in? That if you look at a kicker, quarterback, or the ball the wrong way you get a penalty? Might as well compare it to a 'real' past time, one kids call patty-cake.

[QUOTE=Veriden;5153917]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post

1. American football

Oh you mean that sport that has to stop for plays every 3 seconds, and has quarters to rest in? That if you look at a kicker, quarterback, or the ball the wrong way you get a penalty? Might as well compare it to a 'real' past time, one kids call patty-cake.
    Yea, thats the one, that only USA and 4-5 other countries play it because its so real.

Quote Originally Posted by Veriden View Post
    Forgive me, but does Rugby put out a new volume of "Bone Crunching Hits" every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Forgive me, but does Rugby put out a new volume of "Bone Crunching Hits" every year?
    You need a lot of skill to do that.

Community Member inspiredunease's Avatar

Moss: Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
    Postman: What was Wenger thinking sending Walcott on that early?
    Moss: The thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in!

[QUOTE=Ivan_Milic;5154001]

Yea, thats the one, that only USA and 4-5 other countries play it because its so real.
    Yah but one American team could take on the entire soccer wimp world

[QUOTE=Veriden;5153917]

1. American football

compared to the snore fest that is soccer where you fall asleep waiting for someone to do something other than pass the ball? Only sport that is more mind numbingly boring than soccer is golf and that's pretty close

[QUOTE=Uska;5154151]

compared to the snore fest that is soccer where you fall asleep waiting for someone to do something other than pass the ball? Only sport that is more mind numbingly boring than soccer is golf and that's pretty close
    I never said that it was exciting to watch, soccer is not fun to watch, but is far more fun to play than any of the american sports. I've been playing for the past 22 years (even if the last 12 years were recreational league.)

But here is a list of other sports that are far less entertaining than soccer:
    Hockey: Pretty much soccer on ice and remove the brakes.
    Basket ball: who wants to watch a bunch of lanky men in shorts hump each other trying to put a ball in a small basket?
    Bowling: need I say more?
    Tennis and table tennis: lets hit a small ball back and forth hur hur
    Poker: yep, poker players consider themselves athletes.
    Baseball: b/c well...watching people stand around trying to hit a ball with a stick doesn't strike me as entertainment either.
    Track and field: who cares who can run faster, speed isn't the only thing valuable in racing...add parkor or outrunning police/gangsters to the olympics in place of normal track running and I'd watch it.
    Edit: almost forgot Swimming: As Daniel Tosh says "You know, that thing you instinctively do before you drown.'

And those 'bone crushing hits' are not so bone crushing due to all the padding and protection they wear, now if football were a sport for real men, they'd stop wearing the pads. Only in american sports do you hear complaining about making millions of dollars a year...millions for playing a game. Most soccer players are glad to just be playing.
    Last edited by Veriden; 10-31-2013 at 11:47 AM.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default More Sharn!

The prescription I'm writing here calls for more Sharn. The is clearly a Sharn Syndicate deficiency. Add epic levels and a raid and I bet the patient makes full recovery.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

[QUOTE=Veriden;5154218]
    ...And those 'bone crushing hits' are not so bone crushing due to all the padding and protection they wear, now if football were a sport for real men, they'd stop wearing the pads....
    Hahaha, yeah....all that padding and the helmets seem to be working pretty well so far :P. Nevermind the fact that the NFL is either going to have to change into a non-contact sport or they will lose all their money from lawsuits due to the all-to-common brain injuries that occur from playing it.

Everyone knows there is only one true sport :P, and yesterday this was confirmed for me. No weird nationalism, no barbaric bone-crushing hits, no scores that result in 0-0, no standing around and doing nothing in between pitches, no flopping and faking injuries (OK, truthfully there is some flopping, but they are trying to get rid of it ), no brain injuries, no fights allowed in the middle of the game (seriously hockey??), and definitely no vuvuzelas. The fans don't kill each other, they don't send death threats to refs or players, and they don't riot.

The game is the perfect combination of grace, power, artistry, and improvisation, and it is truly international. Obviously, I'm talking about basketball.

Community Member DiamondPrinceJC's Avatar
    In the dark forests of an exotic plane called Oregon

Go back to the roots and expand Eberron to Khorvaire! Make some F2P quests, and let VIP in on all of it without buying "expansion packs"
    Aztoth: Cannith Drow Assassin (2nd life) Borealice: Cannith Half-Orc Barb (2nd life) Balrolf The Fallen: Cannith Human Favored Soul Nyllo : Khyber Halfling Assassin
    **Guild Leader of House Nix'uldo'ch** **Guild Leader of Fundamental Dungeoneers**

Community Member DiamondPrinceJC's Avatar
    In the dark forests of an exotic plane called Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    The prescription I'm writing here calls for more Sharn. The is clearly a Sharn Syndicate deficiency. Add epic levels and a raid and I bet the patient makes full recovery.
    AGREED! Mo SHARN!
    Aztoth: Cannith Drow Assassin (2nd life) Borealice: Cannith Half-Orc Barb (2nd life) Balrolf The Fallen: Cannith Human Favored Soul Nyllo : Khyber Halfling Assassin
    **Guild Leader of House Nix'uldo'ch** **Guild Leader of Fundamental Dungeoneers**

Community Member

1. American football

2. Rugby
    Tch. It's that kind of attitude that got you benched in favor of a kobold.
    Anything can be explained by drunken wizards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast