Default Help TRing a 1st-life Wiz into a CC/Summoner Druid

Almost a year ago, I posted a thread requesting help to build a "summoner"-flavored toon for a static (newbie) trio group. Since the druid class wasn't available for me at the time, I tried to achieve the desired toon by creating a PM Wiz. The feedback I was given in that thread was incredibly detailed, and exactly what I needed to be able to make a semi-viable toon out of a almost-completely-gimp concept

After all this time, I can say that it was the most fun build I've ever played with. The other 2 players of the group ended up leaving the game, but I met some nice people along the way and kept playing, slowly becoming "better" at playing (well, making less basic mistakes at least :P) and eventually reaching the epic levels for the first time, a couple months ago.

During my journey, there were some minor changes (and some not-that-minor ones with u19). I lost all the skellies pets except the knight, but it got stronger and gained a (much-needed) control bar. SpellPen enhancements became easier to get and the initial CON modifier lost some of its importance. Right now, the toon is a lvl24 with the Magister ED maxed out. I was able to afford the MotU expansion, so I can finally roll a druid.

Although I'm enjoying the PM, I'm finding the epic quests to be a little boring compared the older, heroic ones (although the wilderness areas' scenery and random encounters are amazing). I'm also a premium player with limited resources (both money and time-wise), and with the upcoming changes in u20, I fear I'll never be able to TR anytime soon unless I do it before then. Therefore, I'm thinking about TRing the Wizzie into a Druid that can (hopefully) replicate or improve the things I liked about the PM, and avoid the aspects I didn't like about it (note that I'm obviously not trying to achieve a EE-viable build, just one for levelling and EN/EH questing). But before I try to make it, I'd like to ask a few questions regarding the Wiz-Drd transition process:

1- I really like the CC spells in the Wizard's spell list (so much that I ended up using enchantment mastery instead of necromancy in the magister tree). The mass holds, the dominate spells and some of the fogs were in my book 100% of the time. Is it possible to build a simillar concept with druid (i.e. a CC-focused one)? I read about the sleetQuake combo, but I'm not sure how effective it is or if there are other CC tricks up the druid's sleeve.

2- Having focused on summoning, I now have a better idea of how useful each one of them is (and in heroics, they're more useful than one would expect, especially in short-man groups!). I realized I prefer having a small group of effective pets/summons/hires than an army of weak ones. With the u19 changes to enh. trees, is the wolf still a better (more durable/stronger) option than the PM's skeleton? If the former is better, that will be my project: an Elf or Halfling CC&Summoner Druid who can immobilize enemies in order to beat them with the pets' help and minimal risk for him/herself.

3- Should I go pure or splash it? I can't see any obvious synergetic splash (I don't have Monk), but the druid's enhancement trees seem a little lacking at first sight... If going pure, I'd probably max WIS, get CON to 12, and spread the rest in a third stat (not sure how useful CHA/UMD is on a druid, but it doesn't seem like a critical skill, so maybe CHA would be dumped)

4- This can probably change a lot before I get to epic range again, but right now both Magister and Primal Avatar give bonuses to summoned creatures. It seems to me that primal avatar gives more useful bonuses than Magister in the end, is that correct?

5- While playing wizard in the earlier levels, I disliked the short spellpoint pool and buff duration. Extend was pretty much always on (and even then, some spells still felt short). Do druids have similar issues? How manageable SP-wise are the druids, compared to wizards?

6- I still have the LR+20 stone available from u19. Should I LR into druid before TRing to get the past life to boost my pets, or is the +1DC I can get from Wiz past life important for a CC druid?

7- Since I'm not in a static group anymore (and actually end up PuG'ing a lot): what do groups usually expect from a Druid? Is it like the bard (where noone really expects anything) or are them expected to do a very specific role (even though they can be built to perform different ones)?

I know it's a lot to ask, but answers to any one of the questions, as well as some useful links for reference builds (there's a little shortage of those post-u19 compared to the other classes) would certainly help someone like me (without any experience in the class) to make a viable but fun toon that meets my playstyle objectives/constraints and that I can play for a long time. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by A3oN95; 10-30-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: question about past life feat

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by A3oN95 View Post
    6- I still have the LR+20 stone available from u19. Should I LR into druid before TRing to get the past life to boost my pets, or is the +1DC I can get from Wiz past life important for a CC druid?
    I'd prefer the Wiz past life when TR'ing into Druid, because of both the passive and active past life feat. The CC spells of Druids belong to different schools, only a few of them are Enchantment spells, so all spells will profit from the active Wiz pl feat. Stronger pets, charmed mobs, Hires and Summons are nice to have too, but I guess it would be early enough when you get it in the second TR life.

The Druid can kinda CC, but it's quite different to a CC Wiz, because most of the Druid spells and Shape spells either have a knock down effect or a slow down effect or a paralyze effect (note that paralyzed enemies are not considered helpless, so no +50% damage) and especially for Shape spells you mostly have to be in melee range. There's only one Hold spell, which affects Animals, Magical beasts and Vermin only and no mass version. There's also only one charm, mesmerize (besides the Wild Empathy skill) and dominate spell which again affects A, Mb and V only but no mass version either. A few spells can buff nearby allies, Summons, Hires and pets, likewise some of the Primal Avatar Abilities.

Regarding splashing other classes you should decide whether you want to build a caster or melee Druid. If caster, I'd stay either pure or splash two Rogue levels for trapping and Evasion. If melee I'm not sure, because Monk is not available to you, otherwise I'd splash Rogue 1/Monk 9.

I'd say: if you like the CC spells, pets and summons of the Wizard, use the passive pl feats of three Druid lifes for buffing purpose but play Wiz in the final life.

1- I really like the CC spells in the Wizard's spell list (so much that I ended up using enchantment mastery instead of necromancy in the magister tree). The mass holds, the dominate spells and some of the fogs were in my book 100% of the time. Is it possible to build a simillar concept with druid (i.e. a CC-focused one)? I read about the sleetQuake combo, but I'm not sure how effective it is or if there are other CC tricks up the druid's sleeve.

2- Having focused on summoning, I now have a better idea of how useful each one of them is (and in heroics, they're more useful than one would expect, especially in short-man groups!). I realized I prefer having a small group of effective pets/summons/hires than an army of weak ones. With the u19 changes to enh. trees, is the wolf still a better (more durable/stronger) option than the PM's skeleton? If the former is better, that will be my project: an Elf or Halfling CC&Summoner Druid who can immobilize enemies in order to beat them with the pets' help and minimal risk for him/herself.

3- Should I go pure or splash it? I can't see any obvious synergetic splash (I don't have Monk), but the druid's enhancement trees seem a little lacking at first sight... If going pure, I'd probably max WIS, get CON to 12, and spread the rest in a third stat (not sure how useful CHA/UMD is on a druid, but it doesn't seem like a critical skill, so maybe CHA would be dumped)

4- This can probably change a lot before I get to epic range again, but right now both Magister and Primal Avatar give bonuses to summoned creatures. It seems to me that primal avatar gives more useful bonuses than Magister in the end, is that correct?

5- While playing wizard in the earlier levels, I disliked the short spellpoint pool and buff duration. Extend was pretty much always on (and even then, some spells still felt short). Do druids have similar issues? How manageable SP-wise are the druids, compared to wizards?

7- Since I'm not in a static group anymore (and actually end up PuG'ing a lot): what do groups usually expect from a Druid? Is it like the bard (where noone really expects anything) or are them expected to do a very specific role (even though they can be built to perform different ones)?

I know it's a lot to ask, but answers to any one of the questions, as well as some useful links for reference builds (there's a little shortage of those post-u19 compared to the other classes) would certainly help someone like me (without any experience in the class) to make a viable but fun toon that meets my playstyle objectives/constraints and that I can play for a long time. Thanks in advance
    Hi, this is my advice from one who has played several wizards and a druid (including all EE quests)
    1) druid CC is some of the best in the game, however you will almost never get to charm and hold mobs like a wizard can. Once in a while you will be able to charm a scorpion or in a lower difficulty find a wolf/bear to charm but don't count on it. Earthquake is amazing CC and has more viablility then disco-ball due to its repeated saves requirement. You have a second type of crowd control by blinding mobs. This is very very effect but takes a bit of practice. Lastly the spell Snare is useful for locking down orange named spell casters.

2) I have never played around with the PM summons but the wolf was far better then the arti pet. What i found to be the most effective was to take all the threat reduction enhancements on the wolf and avoid any enhancement with an activated ability. The activated abilities seamed to cause the wolf to bug out and also stop attacking (by that i mean trip, bluff, howl, feed). Druids also get quite a few nice buffs to improve your wolf.

3) I would strongly suggest a pure druid, I dumped chr on my druid and never looked back. I would suggest 18 wis + 18 con + leftovers in dex or int.

4) Primal avatar is great for druid, i loved it was my primary destiny to be in. I think this would be even more true for what your trying to do.

5) With there may SLA i found druids to be quite SP manageable. I would focus on thoes SLA.

6) I would go with the wizard PL, its a really nice PL.

7) Many ppl don't really understand what a druid is going to do, but people may ask you to do Spell DPS, healing (druids are amazing healers btw), and CC.

this is what i would suggest for a build.
    20 pure druid, human (for the feet and heal amp)
    feets
    1 - maximize
    1 - empower
    3 - augment summing
    6 - wizard PL
    9 - evocation focus
    12 - heighten (mostly for your SLA)
    15 - quicken
    18 - empower healing
    21 - Greater evocation focus
    24 - epic evocation focus
    26 - destiny ability - toughness
    27 - epic toughness (with a +3 con tome)
    28 - mass frog

skills: spellcraft, concentration, heal.
    1 rank in tumble and perform
    leftovers into a bit of jump and some balance.

Good luck!

Community Member

(1) Earthquake is one of the best crowd control spells in the game, and one of the best spells in the game. Druids also get some neat tricks that are Transmutation based, particularly Snare. Snare is difficult to use, but a properly tricked out Snare (heightened, et al) is virtually unbreakable and lasts for ages. Entangle has its uses, too, but it only covers a small area so it also takes work.

(2) I have no experience with Pale Masters, but the Druid's wolf is extremely useful and potentially very powerful, and druids get a decent selection of spells and other effects that improve their minions capabilities.

(3) Pure Druid has a lot to recommend it as druids get an excellent spell list and will not having a full caster level.

(4) Primal Avatar is the closest thing you'll find to a summoner's tree, and however it stacks up against Magister in theory, the fact that it's made for Druids and grants additional druid caster levels will almost certainly put it over the top for you.

(5) Druids have similar issues, but you should have an easier time managing them. You're less dependent upon your spells for both attack and defense, and get some very efficient options nice and early.

(6) I'd take the Wizard past life, especially as you're going to be doing Druid next anyway. Wizard is a very important past life to have. Druid is also a good one, and particularly for your concept, but it can wait.

(7) On the rare occasions when it was necessary, I more or less had to beg groups to let me main heal them in my druid life - even though I had no trouble at all performing the job. The weight of expectation on a druid is nothing.

Thanks to all of you for the various tips and advice

I'm happy to hear about the wolf potential (very useful info about the active abilites, I didn't know about those issues) and the SLAs viability (the PM's SLAs weren't that good tbh...). I'm now also set on trying primal avatar on epic and also keeping the wiz past life, after reading your feedback (that way I save the LR stone too, in case a screw up :P).

I don't mind loosing the charms if that means gaining other great forms of CC and decent SLAs to combo them with (and apparently, it does! disco ball was a really good spell, if EQ can be even better, that's awesome). Regarding pure vs splash build: I'd like to get every SLA if possible, so I'll either pick Drd20 or Drd18/Rog2 (never less than 18Drd). The exclusive perks of each path that I could spot were:

Drd20:
    - Hierophant - +1 Spell DC (all schools), +3 if Conj. or Trans. spell [not sure how useful conjuration is, but the +1@all_spells seems nice]
    - +10% Wolf attack speed [yay, wolf buffs]
    - Improved Evasion for wolf [yay, more wolf buffs]
    - + spell slots (1x Lv7, 1x Lv8, 2x Lv9) [not sure if useful]

Drd18/Rog2:
    - Evasion [really nice, and gives better synergy with elf or halfling, both races I was thinking about picking (personal taste :P)]
    - Trap skills [assuming enough skill points, not sure if I'd have them :s]
    - +6 skills (boost) [will come in handy if I go for trap skills]
    - great-crossbow perks OR dexToHit w/ daggers, kukris or staves [both useless? also redundant if halfling/elf]

I don't which option to choose. pure seems better as you pointed out, but the perks from the rogue splash are interesting. Would splashing be trying to accomplish too much at the same time? :s

Also, regarding the suggested feats (thanks for compiling a list!): it's similar to what I had in mind, although I wasn't considering picking both Empower and Maximize (is it worth picking both? and doing it at lvl1?). I was also considering Force of Personality or Mental Toughness, but this seems like a pretty feat-starved build already, not sure where I could fit them in without compromising the toon's concept (I don't even know which one I'd take out if not going human).

Stat-wise: If Drd20, then max WIS, CON to about 12-14 (+2 if human), INT to ~12 (or higher if FoP) and leftovers in DEX. If I splash it seems more complicated: Evasion means DEX (and/or INT if FoP) is worth rising to decent levels in that situation (UMD would gain potential too, but I think I'll ignore UMD). It will depend if I splash or not, apparently. Advice or feedback from your past rog-splash druid experiments are ofc welcome :P
    Last edited by A3oN95; 10-31-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Community Member

Druids don't have any major need for evasion, as they get a high basic level of hit points and some of the best self-healing in the game. That's not to say it couldn't be useful, because I think we all know the score on that front, but a character with decent health and spells like Mass Regenerate is perfectly capable of doing without. Druids don't need any help with their basic combat skills, either, because you can cast Flame Blade and use Wisdom for both attack and damage (which can demolish things quite happily until higher levels and difficulty settings). So, it all comes down to whether or not you want trap skills. Personally, I think druids cover enough terrain without going there, but they do get 4 base skill points, so it is possible if you want to explore it. It has some synergy with wolf form, too.

I'd probably take Augment Summoning at 1st level if I were making a summoner type character, just as a sort of statement of intent. Taking both Maximise and Empower reasonably early is strongly recommend if you plan to rely on your Spell-Like Abilities, but I will say that my experience of the druid was that he could put down so many decent effects at once that he's free to use or ignore metamagic as he sees fit when casting spellbook spells.

Drd18/Rog2:
    - Evasion [really nice, and gives better synergy with elf or halfling, both races I was thinking about picking (personal taste :P)]
    - Trap skills [assuming enough skill points, not sure if I'd have them :s]
    - +6 skills (boost) [will come in handy if I go for trap skills]
    - great-crossbow perks OR dexToHit w/ daggers, kukris or staves [both useless? also redundant if halfling/elf]
    While evasion is good, you will really never have the reflex save to push it to a point where its useful. Reflex is really the place where druid's have the most trouble and evasion is unfortunately not going to help you much. Your best defense really is a big pile of hp and very good self healing.

Druids are not skill point starved but you would have to make some serious sacrifices to get viable trap DC's. Many people splash rogue for UMD, but druids already get almost all of the spells that you would want to UMD anyways. I don't think UMD is a good investment on a caster druid.

If your really focused on a splash for melee and evasion consider instead monk for stunning fist and wolf form. It's a diffrent build then what I gave you before but a melee druid can be a very solid melee toon. But for what you are looking for I would strongly suggest pure caster druid.

Also, regarding the suggested feats (thanks for compiling a list!): it's similar to what I had in mind, although I wasn't considering picking both Empower and Maximize (is it worth picking both? and doing it at lvl1?). I was also considering Force of Personality or Mental Toughness, but this seems like a pretty feat-starved build already, not sure where I could fit them in without compromising the toon's concept (I don't even know which one I'd take out if not going human).

Stat-wise: If Drd20, then max WIS, CON to about 12-14 (+2 if human), INT to ~12 (or higher if FoP) and leftovers in DEX. If I splash it seems more complicated: Evasion means DEX (and/or INT if FoP) is worth rising to decent levels in that situation (UMD would gain potential too, but I think I'll ignore UMD). It will depend if I splash or not, apparently. Advice or feedback from your past rog-splash druid experiments are ofc welcome :P
    Druids get some of the best SLA in the game, all the meta-magics that boost these are all good to keep. Force of personality is just not useful to you, your wisdom should be much higher then your charisma. Mental toughness only gets decent if you invest in the full 3 feat line, but you don't have enough feets to spare for that.

I will say it again, I strongly suggest going human for the heal amp, extra feet, and extra skill point. And I strongly suggest getting enough CON to qualify for epic toughness. The reason why druids are so surviable is the nature of how there healing works. Mass regenerate heals for less than mass heal, however its spread over 8 seconds instead. This means that you want (1) a big buffer vs damage, which is basicly haveing a big hp pile (800 +), and (2) healing for each tick of regenerate for as much as you can heal amp gear and heal amp enhancements help enormously.

I was tanking EE bosses with a only displacement clicky because of my large hp and really good heal amp combined with how druid heals work over time. If I didn't have a big pile of hp AND really good heal amp I would not have been able to do that.

I would go human, pure druid, Wis & Con 18, with remainder to Str.(You do have to level this toon, and will need to melee at low levels.) Str also helps when getting loot to the vendor, and for those pesky Enfeeblement spells.

Druid wolf-you will end up having to take some of those active trigger enhancements, but you need not utilize them.

Feats: The list mentioned above, but remember that druids get the same SP as clerics and wiz. So, if you drank SP pots on a wiz, you will be drinking them on a druid. You will also be healing yourself and probably others. This costs yet more SP. You decide if you want to take Mental Toughnesses. Remember that each Mental Toughness works out to about 1 Major Mnemonic if you get low amounts like me.

People's expectations of a druid: You decide what kind of druid YOU want to be. Then tell group leaders when you join the party. (Or before if it is not BYOH.) I, personally, work on CC and heals on most of my druids. I do have a pure caster druid. I tell the leader that it is not a good healer when I join.

EDs: I usually stay in Exalted Angel on all but my pure caster druid. SP and healing help.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Thanks for all the advice (even though I'm in even more of a dilemma now xD)

I realized now that I mixed the name of two feats. I was thinking about Insightful Reflexes, and not Force of Personality. The idea at the time was to focus on WIS, CON and INT, with the later providing (much needed if splashing for trapskills) skill points and decent reflex save.

Anyway, I didn't know that druids reflex-save was that much of a problem. I was hoping on that and the synergy with the elven/halfling dex bonus (or the IR feat) to pump it high enough to make Evasion matter in all heroics and up to EH in epics. If that's not achievable, it will make (even) more sense to go pure, and I'll just forget about splashing.

EDIT: Was looking at the wiz trees, and maybe Drd19/Wiz1 could be useful? The wiz level would give me:
    - 1 extra metamagic feat
    - +41 hp for 11 Action points (EK+PM)
    - Invis SLA (AM)
    - -30% threat gen (Subtle spellcasting) for 4 APs
    - +90 SP (EofS) for 6 APs
    - +1% Elemental spell crit chance for 2APs

I'm not sure if it would make up for the -1 universal DC loss, but it would help against feat-starvation a little, and give me something to spend the APs on. Well, it's one more alternative...

If the SP pool is comparable to that of a wizard, and with access to the SLAs, I believe(hope?) I'll be able to go by without the MT feats. That is not counting the SP costs of healing temmates. But if I had to fit MT in, what should I drop? I now understand the importance of Max+Emp; Augment Summon is a signature feat (aka not droppable for me); same for wizard PL; quicken and empowerHeal seem core if I ever want to fill the role when necessary, leaving only heighten/evoFocus left on heroic, and Great&EpicEvoFocus/toughness/epicToughness/frog on epic.

I really want the playstyle I mentioned in the OP, even if it's not an "optimal" way, power-wise (and I don't have monk anyway, so my options are limited). But I also don't wish to gimp the toon even more for no reason, if I'm not having fun with the change. My biggest problem right now (as stupid as it may seem) is that I'm completely sick of male human toons (lol), but the obivous choice for race would be (as usual) human. Is there any way of making a not-as-good-as-human-but-still-viable build like this (pure or not, w/ever works best) using Elf, Halfling, or (last resort) dwarf? I tried making one, but I'm not having success (the lost feat is problematic, Elf CON hit hurts, Halfling racial enh.s don't fit the concept, dwarves... are dwarves and their enhancements don't seem worth it either except for the core ones).
    Last edited by A3oN95; 11-03-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: AP fix

Community Member

Halfling is a good option if you're sick of human. The Strength penalty won't matter much if you're casting and using Flame Blades, the extra AC and accuracy will help round out your basic combat abilities a little, and the bonuses to saving throws are great. You're not likely to want to spend massively in your racial tree no matter which race you pick, but if Heroic Companion works on summoned allies then that'd be a very nice little extra for you.

Default Race comparison

I was trying to come up with a non-human build using the Drd19/Wiz1 split, so I took all the advice given on stats/feats to create a sample human draft for comparison (I chose enlarge spell as the extra feat, just to keep the differences to a minimum)(skip down if TL;DR):
    ------------------------
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.19.03
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 28 True Neutral Human Male
    (1 Wizard \ 19 Druid \ 8 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 516
    Spell Points: 1695 
    BAB: 14\14\19\24
    Fortitude: 17
    Reflex: 6
    Will: 25

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (34 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 28)
    Strength              8                     8
    Dexterity            10                    10
    Constitution         18                    22
    Intelligence          8                    10
    Wisdom               18                    34
    Charisma              8                     8

Tomes Used

+2 Tome of Intelligence 
    +5 Tome of Wisdom 
    +3 Tome of Constitution 

Feat/Enhancement
                      Modified Skills
    Skills             (Level 28)
    Balance                 19
    Bluff                    7
    Concentration           37
    Diplomacy                7
    Disable Device           n/a
    Haggle                   7
    Heal                    43
    Hide                     8
    Intimidate               7
    Jump                    12
    Listen                  20
    Move Silently            8
    Open Lock                n/a
    Perform                  n/a
    Repair                   8
    Search                   8
    Spellcraft              31
    Spot                    20
    Swim                     7
    Tumble                   9
    Use Magic Device         n/a

Level 1 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Augment Summoning
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Enlarge Spell
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard

Level 2 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Spell

Level 3 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Wolf

Level 6 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Arcane Initiate
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Bear

Level 9 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Winter Wolf

Level 12 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Dire Bear

Level 14 (Druid)
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Fire Elemental

Level 15 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 18 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Water Elemental

Level 20 (Druid)
    Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Spell Power Boost (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Human Adaptability: Wisdom (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Human Versatility: Defense Boost (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Human Adaptability: Constitution (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Improved Recovery (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Don't Count Me Out (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Don't Count Me Out (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Human - Don't Count Me Out (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Human - Heroism (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Human - Greater Heroism (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Nature's Warrior (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Instinctive Fighting (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Extra Wild Empathy (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Extra Wild Empathy (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Bestial Nature (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Bestial Nature (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Bestial Nature (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Blood Moon Frenzy (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Blood Moon Frenzy (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Blood Moon Frenzy (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Nature's Warrior (Drd) - Nature's Warrior Wisdom (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Seasoned (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Time (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Tide (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Sunburst (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Storm of Vengeance (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Beguile (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Beguile (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Beguile (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Wax and Wane (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Produce Flame (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Produce Flame (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Produce Flame (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Creeping Cold (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Creeping Cold (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Creeping Cold (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Wisdom (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Spring Resurgence (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Spring Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Spring Resurgence (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Autumnal Susurrus (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Autumnal Susurrus (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Autumnal Susurrus (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Call Lightning (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Call Lightning (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Call Lightning (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Crown of Summer (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Word of Balance (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Word of Balance (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Word of Balance (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Time and Tide (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Strength of the Solstice (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Dark Reaping (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Deathless Vigor (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Deathless Vigor (Rank 2)

Level 21 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 24 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 26 (Epic)
    Feat: (Epic Destiny) Toughness

Level 27 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Epic Toughness

Level 28 (Epic)
    Feat: (Epic Destiny) Epic Destiny: Mass Frog
    ------------------------

Then I tried to create an adapted build for each one of the other available races (again, skip down if TL;DR):
    ------------------------
    Code:

Level 28 True Neutral Elf Male
    Hit Points: 420
    Spell Points: 1705 
    Fortitude: 14
    Reflex: 9

Dexterity            16                    16
    Constitution         14                    16
    Intelligence         10                    12

Tomes Used

+2 Tome of Constitution 
    +2 Tome of Intelligence 
    +5 Tome of Wisdom 

Feat/Enhancement
                      Modified Skills
    Balance                 22
    Concentration           34
    Hide                    11
    Listen                  22
    Move Silently           11
    Open Lock               n/a
    Repair                   9
    Search                  11
    Spellcraft              32
    Spot                    22
    Tumble                  12

Level 1 (Druid)

Level 2 (Wizard)

Level 3 (Druid)

Level 6 (Druid)

Level 9 (Druid)

Level 12 (Druid)

Level 14 (Druid)

Level 15 (Druid)

Level 18 (Druid)

Level 20 (Druid)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Efficient Metamagic: Heighten (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Season's Herald (Drd) - Efficient Metamagic: Heighten (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Illusion I: Invisibility (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Subtle Spellcasting (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Subtle Spellcasting (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Subtle Spellcasting (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Energy of the Scholar (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Energy of the Scholar (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Energy of the Scholar (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Archmage (Wiz) - Spell Critical: Elemental and Force I (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Pale Master (Wiz) - Deathless Vigor (Rank 3)

Level 21 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)

Level 27 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Great Wisdom

Level 28 (Epic)
    Code:

Level 28 True Neutral Halfling Male
    Hit Points: 448
    Fortitude: 19
    Reflex: 14
    Will: 29

Strength              6                     6
    Dexterity            16                    18
    Constitution         16                    18

Tomes Used

+2 Tome of Constitution 
    +2 Tome of Intelligence 
    +5 Tome of Wisdom 

Feat/Enhancement
                      Modified Skills
    Balance                 23
    Concentration           35
    Hide                    16
    Jump                    13
    Listen                  22
    Move Silently           14
    Search                   9
    Swim                     6
    Tumble                  13

Level 1 (Druid)

Level 2 (Wizard)

Level 3 (Druid)

Level 6 (Druid)

Level 9 (Druid)

Level 12 (Druid)

Level 14 (Druid)

Level 15 (Druid)

Level 18 (Druid)

Level 20 (Druid)
    Enhancement: Halfling - Halfling Luck (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Halfling - Dexterity (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Halfling - Dexterity (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Halfling - Heroic Companion (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Halfling - Heroic Companion (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Halfling - Heroic Companion (Rank 3)

Level 21 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)

Level 27 (Epic)

Level 28 (Epic)
    Code:

Level 28 True Neutral Dwarf Male
    Hit Points: 506
    Fortitude: 17
    Reflex: 8

Dexterity            14                    14
    Constitution         18                    22
    Charisma              6                     6

Tomes Used

+2 Tome of Constitution 
    +2 Tome of Intelligence 
    +5 Tome of Wisdom 

Feat/Enhancement
                      Modified Skills
    Balance                 28
    Bluff                    6
    Concentration           37
    Diplomacy                6
    Haggle                   6
    Hide                    10
    Intimidate               6
    Listen                  20
    Move Silently           10
    Search                  11
    Tumble                  11

Level 1 (Druid)

Level 2 (Wizard)

Level 3 (Druid)

Level 4 (Druid)

Level 5 (Druid)

Level 6 (Druid)

Level 7 (Druid)

Level 8 (Druid)

Level 9 (Druid)

Level 10 (Druid)

Level 11 (Druid)

Level 12 (Druid)

Level 13 (Druid)

Level 14 (Druid)

Level 15 (Druid)

Level 16 (Druid)

Level 17 (Druid)

Level 18 (Druid)

Level 19 (Druid)

Level 20 (Druid)

Level 21 (Epic)

Level 22 (Epic)

Level 23 (Epic)

Level 24 (Epic)

Level 25 (Epic)

Level 26 (Epic)

Level 27 (Epic)

Level 28 (Epic)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarven Toughness (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarven Constitution (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarven Constitution (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Stout (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Stout (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Stout (Rank 3)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarven Runes (Rank 1)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarven Runes (Rank 2)
    Enhancement: Dwarf - Dwarven Runes (Rank 3)
    ----------------------------------

TL; DR

Racial Enhancements picked (not counting fillers);
    ------------------------
    HUMAN (19 AP):
    - +30% Healing Amp.
    - +1 CON
    - +1 WIS
    - GH SLA
    ------------------------
    HALFLING (13 AP):
    - +2 DEX
    - +3 All Saves
    - Heroic Companion (+1[w] +6 toHit +6 All Saves +4% Dodge +10PRR for an ally/pet)
    ------------------------
    DWARF (13 AP):
    - +30 HP
    - +2 CON
    - +3 Save vs Spells
    ------------------------
    ELF (0 AP):
    (couldn't find anything useful )
    ------------------------

Total saves (f-r-w) and base HP (not counting Epic toughness):
    ------------------------
    HUMAN: 17-6-25; 466;
    HALFLING: 19-14-29; 448;
    DWARF: 17-8-25; 506;
    ELF: 14-9-25; 420;
    ----------------------------------

ELF: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to blend very well with what I'm after... Taking ETough. into account, it has almost -20% HP than the human, without healing amp. or anything worthwhile to make up for it... I can't make a viable elven toon for this build-concept

HALFLING: I'm actually liking this one a lot... has about 13% less HP than ETough-Human (I'd have to sacrifice a lot to qualify for the feat on this race), without healing amp. either. But the saves seem really decent in comparison (+2 fort / +8 reflex / +4 will), and the Heroic Companion ability fits the theme nicely... I'm just not sure if the saves can make up for the loss of HP/incoming healing, and that strength stat (6) scares me a little...
    PS: The spare APs for halfling (and dwarf too) were spent in the Wiz-AM tree to get Invisibility SLA and 30% threat reduction.

DWARF: Not my favourite race either, but it doesn't seem that bad... has only -10HP than the human build w/ETough. (or +40HP if I pick it with the dwarf too, although that would mean -1 WIS). The extra +3 save vs spells and +2 reflex save are kind of an improvement over human (although that reflex still seems too low). I don't believe all of this can properly make up for the loss of healing amp. (then again, what could...?) but at least it doesn't seem to fall too far behind...

Either way, I'm still trying to figure out if any of these options are viable alternatives to (i.e. don't fall too far behind from) a human and/or pure druid. The Drd18/FvS2 option (mentioned by Unbongwah in a different thread) also caught my attention.

PPS: Mass Frog looks like the most awesome ability ever invented

EDIT: Thanks for the tip Clatterfist I was trying around with the different races (which ended up with the results of this post) and from the 3 options, halfling seemed to be the most interesting one in my opinion too (not necessarily as good as human, power-wise, but with some interesting stuff of its own)
    (PS: According to forum feedback, the Heroic Companion ability works on summoned creatures and pets )
    Last edited by A3oN95; 11-03-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: code fix

Community Member

I won't spend any points to Subtle Spellcasting, take Necrotic Touch instead to get a non-sp based SLA. Also think about taking the Shield SLA instead of Invisibility, because of MM immunity which around Level 20+ get's important again. I'd also recommed not to skill Jump above 10 pt (incl. modifier, because your Jump spell will increase it to 40), either skill one of the three social skills Intimidate, Bluff or Diplomacy and put some points into UMD, then you can cast the T2 Wiz spells with scrolls/wands. The points in Listen, Search, Hide and Move silently you won't need too, since you have no trap skills and sneak attack ability you only get in Wolf shape, but sneak attack is not what you're focused on.

Elf gives +100 SP and +3 Spellpen, +2 Dex, some % to hit, (actually I don't know whether the scimitar/falchion enhancements also apply to Flame Blade or not?), +1 Enchantment DC, the effect of True Seeing while you have more than 100 SP, automatic search, +3% dodge, +8 saves vs Enchantment (incl. racial feat), a CC SLA, a buff SLA and Arcane Fluidity will reduce the ASF entirely when you wear Leather Armor and no Shield - not a bad choice I think.