Default Were the Hireling changes really only "Cosmetic"?

I posted a while back about how Tarlov seemed to be doing less damage on crits and he is now wearing a monk outfit instead of his red dragon scale armor. A dev replied in that thread and said that the hireling changes are only cosmetic.

I'm now wondering why I can cast Fire Resist on Tarlov. Before It would not take because of his red dragon scale armor. I can cast Acid Resist on the 24 FvS hire too (before update it would not take because of his green scale armor).

I don't know if this is how "Cosmetic" armor upgrades work. Anyone else know?
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    I posted a while back about how Tarlov seemed to be doing less damage on crits and he is now wearing a monk outfit instead of his red dragon scale armor. A dev replied in that thread and said that the hireling changes are only cosmetic.

I'm now wondering why I can cast Fire Resist on Tarlov. Before It would not take because of his red dragon scale armor. I can cast Acid Resist on the 24 FvS hire too (before update it would not take because of his green scale armor).

It's not cosmetic. Hire's gear was actually changed - Likely because at epic lvls they were decked out in some of the best gear in the game. And nobody wants their lowly hire to have better stuff than their UBERTOON does.

They may have upped hires stats or something to compensate, though. Hence the 'It's only cosmetic.'

Dunno, but most of the changes must've been cosmetic. For example, most bard hires are completely broken and useless.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Community Member

He was wearing red dragon scale armor before the change. A DM probably logged into his account, concluded he was a duper and deleted his stuff with extreme prejudice.

They changed/nerfed them about the same time that people started comparing them with the Owlbear.

It makes sense that Tarlov's crits are off... because of losing Seeker on the red armor. And he gets hit for more damage since losing some PRR.... because he is now wearing an outfit instead of armor.

I need to track down the Dev response saying that "they were not changed" and it was only a "cosmetic" update.
    Dorian

Found the Dev post by Feather_of_Sun:

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Hirelings' armor has not changed. The change is that they now wear cosmetics now on top of it.
    They're the exact same cosmetics players can use- they do not affect the hirelings' stats in any way.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5052625
    Dorian

Found the Dev post by Feather_of_Sun:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5052625
    Doesn't mean they didn't come through and change them later. We'd never know, either, if they really are wearing cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxis View Post
    We'd never know, either, if they really are wearing cosmetics.
    That's might point about the dragonscale armor. We know because I can cast resists on the 2 hirelings that used to have it. (acid on 24 FVS that used to wear green... and fire on Tarlov that used to wear red)

Why go in and change hirelings and not put it in the patch notes? Why post on the forum and say nothing has changed... when obviously something has?
    Last edited by Dorian; 10-31-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Dorian

awhile back, dunno when, hires were given at least 1 type of elemental resistance. I don't know which level they start getting it, but on my paladin lives I would buff the hires with resist and there was always one you could tell didn't seem to "stick".

if hires have had a gear change more than cosmetic, than it would explain how some hires seem to have trouble making their mana last. when you have been using hires for years and suddenly notice certain hires mana runs out well before they normally do, than you know changes were made to them again.