Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 141 to 151 of 151
  1. #141
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    That would be a very casual/careless DM to allow anything like that without a strong compelling reason, series of events leading up to that life changing decision, perhaps a special quest where you have to prove your change of heart, etc.
    OMG!

    False agrees with me!

    Is it snowing where you are by any chance False?

  2. #142
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Oh sure, there are lots of ways to do what you're talking about. My post was a response another poster made saying all they had to do to make a 16 bard/2 pal/2 monk was level up as a bard, have a spell cast on you, presto change alignment, now advance as a pally and then a monk.

    So yeah, in most pnp groups I was in you made legitimate builds or you had to have a real good reason why the DM would allow it.
    Well, the spell he is referring to does work as he described, where the caster basically "invites" you to their alignment and you have to accept or refuse. That lore could be role played for a few levels, and if the DM refuses on the grounds that "youre trying to min max" - take the 2 divine champion and 2 of anything with evasion to show you dont need a lore reason to become that powerful.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  3. #143
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Alignment restrictions aren't a science, D&D is a roleplaying game and they exist first and foremost to encourage adherence to fantasy archetypes, eg, a Barbarian should be at least a little bit wild and a Bard should roam around the countryside telling tall tales and being rakish. They don't always make perfect sense even in their intended roles - why couldn't a berkserker who submits to the will of his tribal elders and acts as their instruiment on the field of battle be lawful, or a bard be a court propaganda expert who plays by the political rules? - but that's what the publishers went with, a sort of broad strokes, more-usually-this-than-that idiot's guide to fantasy tropes. I doubt it had anything to do with character optimisation control at all, particularly given how quickly and how wildly that got out of control duie to some very basic oversights.

  4. #144
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dameron View Post
    Which points to the real culprit, that Turbine hates AC and that physical armor has been worthless at end game for years.

    Now the problem with a Ring of Evasion is that it would allow evading attacks while wearing any kind of armor, so it would immediately be more powerful than the limited versions granted to rogues and monks as class abilities. In fact you'd probably see quite a few rogues rocking that ring if it ever came out.
    For a very long time, AC was 100% worthless to 98% of the DDO population and it was fantastic for the remaining 2%. Now it is 98% worthless to 100% of the DDO population.

    As much as I dearly wish for a Ring of Evasion for each of my characters, I do agree entirely that it would be an inappropriate magic item for DDO.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  5. #145
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Alignment restrictions are for flavor and not balance.
    In DDO, it's also for balance. That's to prevent something hideously overpowered like a Monk who can run slightly faster (Mnk X/Bbn 1)
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  6. #146
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    For a very long time, AC was 100% worthless to 98% of the DDO population and it was fantastic for the remaining 2%. Now it is 98% worthless to 100% of the DDO population.
    That sir is brilliant. If only I had more room in my sig.

  7. #147
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    In DDO, it's also for balance. That's to prevent something hideously overpowered like a Monk who can run slightly faster (Mnk X/Bbn 1)
    Oh come on, like a Bard with monk or pally levels would be OP?

  8. #148
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Oh come on, like a Bard with monk or pally levels would be OP?
    Anything with Bard levels is not overpowered by definition.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  9. #149
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Anything with Bard levels is not overpowered by definition.
    In PnP it can be, as bards arent limited to the choice of 1 out of 6 spells per spell level.

    But its not like its more broken than mixing caster levels with druid levels for instance, where theres a myriad of ways to create an infinite stat loop, al-la pun-pun. I keep a rolled up newspaper for those level 2 wizards that are like "ok ima take a level of druid for level 3 ((SMAAACK!!!) ow what???? I cant take a druid level?

    Me: Next youll be telling me youre going to shunt stats back and forth between you, your animal companion, and your familiar? /holds up newspaper again....anticipating.

    player: dayum, caught me again.
    Last edited by Chai; 10-31-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  10. #150
    Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    In PnP it can be, as bards arent limited to the choice of 1 out of 6 spells per spell level.

    But its not like its more broken than mixing caster levels with druid levels for instance, where theres a myriad of ways to create an infinite stat loop, al-la pun-pun. I keep a rolled up newspaper for those level 2 wizards that are like "ok ima take a level of druid for level 3 ((SMAAACK!!!) ow what???? I cant take a druid level?

    Me: Next youll be telling me youre going to shunt stats back and forth between you, your animal companion, and your familiar? /holds up newspaper again....anticipating.

    player: dayum, caught me again.
    Player: This isn't broken. I won't achieve near-infinite stats and demigod status until level 16. I'm deliberately avoiding the cheesy combinations!
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

  11. #151
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    690

    Default

    they are, as druids and the WF race. P2W :/

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload