View Poll Results: What's your favorite quest in Three Barrel Cove?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garl's Tomb

31 12.40%
  • Ghost of a Chance

62 24.80%
  • Guard Duty

9 3.60%
  • Legend of Two-Toed Tobias

42 16.80%
  • Prove Your Worth

108 43.20%
  • The Fire Caves

29 11.60%
  • The Scoundrel's Run

55 22.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Fire cave. At least part I : quick xp/min.
    I love scoundrel run too, it is quick and a good mix of puzzles, fights and 'traps'.

I love the wilderness map, and the variety of quests but the other one - except ghost of a chance if u have puzzler - aren't worth the xp especially at that range.

Edit : even though it's a pain to get back to speak to NPC then run again to quest, I like the 'general' idea of having a part 2 ... sounds like a "the pirate strikes back"
    Last edited by Nédime; 11-01-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Community Member

Default Ghost of a chance

I vote Ghost of a Chance. All the other ones are good and challenging, but Ghost is the only one that is one run completion plus a nice puzzle, all others are two runs completions (Guard Duty doesn't count). So if you should ever want to farm the Pirate Treasure Map, that's the quest to run, every 3 completions give 1 map. On the way there, you can try to encounter Dybesh Relix for extra chance of a map, run thru the quest kill the captain free the captive, 2 mins top, recall and repeat. Then keep those map for a FoT raid or something similar and add a +2 jewel and +2 loot Bonus Days and you got +5 total loot. And unlike a jewel you only need to activate it right before clicking the several end chests, you got 15 sec.

I, on the other hand was trying to get the Chieftain's Spear and the Sky Pirate Dagger, so I went thru the quest on the way, getting maps while farming those rare items. After about 100 runs over several months, only got the Spear, still missing the Dagger and have over 30 maps which I keep using in FoT and other raids.

Community Member

I like the story behind the "urban legend" Two-toed Tobias, but ultimately I chose Scoundrels Run. My gf didn't want to vote for a quest, but she wanted me to mention that the wilderness area is one of the areas she enjoys most in game.

I loved all these quests but think there should be a boat to take you to the far end of the island so you can get to some quests more easily. Obviously something you need to get to in order to unlock.

I also think that the exp is not quite enticing enough to run those quests because you can outlevel that area on every life without ever visiting it. However, that does mean you can run two different sets of quests so you don't get bored in those level ranges. Which I am definitely all for. What I am getting at is the level 5-7 quests need to be all relatively the same in overall exp gained, so no matter what, you can do X quests in one life, maybe to Y quests in the next, so you don't get tr grind burn. Right now you skip doing Y because it is not as much or as fast as X.

The Legend of Two-toed Tobias is my favorite with the Fire Caves a close second. I also enjoy playing the wilderness area.

What is Three Barrel Cove?

I L-O-V-E 3BC. I love the wilderness area, I love most of the quests, and I love going for that underwater treasure in the wilderness – one of the more unique explorers in the game.

I am really not a fan of that ladder jump, and Guard Duty is sorta meh, but I’d be all on board for maybe moving it out of its level range and into another. I’m always disappointed that I level WAY fast to really enjoy that pack. And adding a new set of epic quests out there would be like the cherry on top of the banana split (assuming you like cherries). Just make them different than the current quests.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

none of them, and please don't do the epic gianthold treatment on 3BC (which is where this poll is heading is it not?), haven't you guys played out the whole pirate fixation enough already?

Epic Necropolis - Fight the ascension of a Lich Lord to Demi God-hood
    Epic Shroud - Fight a Pit Fiend General invading your world through a area so powerful you can make Relics
    Epic Resltessless isles - Fight an ancient Doomsday robot
    Epic Amrath - Fight an inter planer war.

Epic 3 Barrel Cove - fight Orcish scallywags and sea dogs, ARRRRRRRR!

Not epic stuff should not be epic'ed... Eberron does not need it's near Demi-god status level 28 Champions to fight off garden variety bandits and petty criminals, and trespassing duergar miners on a largely uninhabited island.

Turbine seems to largely miss what every D&D DM who ever ran a campaign for more than a couple months faced over and over: Near Demi-god PC's do not want to do trivial BS that is not befitting their power. They should be roaming planes saving planets and taking over evil overloads demi-planes, negotiating world savings as emissaries between waring gods, exploring the meaning of good and evil deep in the hells and upper planes of existence, averting ancient world eating catastrophies/doomsday beasts...

They should not be watching little girls arcane blast Lolth, fighting Orc's, Kobold Paragons, Prisoners in a prison, pretty criminals, CR20 COMMONERS, Rats, Spiders.

We should WADE THROUGH pests and vermin (see Diablo III for how to do this, and make the player feel powerful, while also making it so it's dangerous if you wade in too fast or wrecklessly) We should shout and compel commoners to flee in terror, our characters very visage should make prisoners and criminals beg for their shabby existences. Our heroes should make Kobolds jump backwards so high from fright that they reach impossibly high ledges... Oh wait...
    Last edited by IronClan; 11-22-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    The quest-makers are curious: what's your favorite quest(s) of Three Barrel Cove?
    I don't have 3BC, its favor and xp / to TP cost is horrible, i've no need for the loot.

And I dislike the idea of epic... sry

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    ...what's your favorite quest(s) of Three Barrel Cove?
    I like almost all of them alot. The stories, the explorer, the low level loot, the artwork...it all great...except that I cant believe anyone is honestly answering Prove your Worth as best. That quest ranks second worst in the whole game only to Coal Chamber. If I want to play Super Mario then Ill plug in the Wii and call the kids in.

Please spare me from more pirate themed content. Orcs, Kobalds, Minotaurs and Bugbears with inflated hit points wearing silly hats and shouting "arrrr".
    Give me strength, because this stuff completely kills any immersion in content in which it appears.

I'm completely aware that my humble opinion is of little consequence in the great scheme of things, but it would be nice to have genuinely intimidating foes to battle in a new environment.

3BC is part of the whole pirate fetish that hit DDO a while back. I never really bought into it. However, that being said, if the XP was worth while and/or there was loot worth getting (beyond the twink items from rares in the open area) then I would for sure give it another go. The quests are not horrible, but 3BC along with Ataraxia Haven are the areas I simply never run (along with all the quests for Titan and the subsequent raid). I barely ran AH when it was released. 3BC is too spread out. For 3BC, the open area is nice, but the quests are a pain to get to considering the xp and loot. As is, I skip it. I ran enough to get the twink items I needed and that is about it. I understand the concern since not a lot of folks run it and it is wasted content at this point. Might as well add Ataraxi and restless isles to the list too.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Community Member

Vote: Ghost of a Chance

Community Member

I got the pack when it was 75% off and I still feel cheated. I do not enjoy any of the dungeons. The Slayer zone isnt too bad in terms of variation / enjoyment, but there are so many dungeons in that range, and the XP for Slayers at that level is so low that it simply isnt worth it.

As others have said, an Epic version of TBC will simply not be interesting. I don't care about CR 50 Rats with 125,000 HP and 75 DC saves. I want Epic to be *EPIC*. Demons. Dragons. Liches. Ancient Vampires. Extra-Planar Beings. Not the same stuff from Heroic but jacked up 8,000%.

If you are going to make Paragon versions of creatures, make them interesting / unusual creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    As others have said, an Epic version of TBC will simply not be interesting. I don't care about CR 50 Rats with 125,000 HP and 75 DC saves. I want Epic to be *EPIC*. Demons. Dragons. Liches. Ancient Vampires. Extra-Planar Beings. Not the same stuff from Heroic but jacked up 8,000%.If you are going to make Paragon versions of creatures, make them interesting / unusual creatures.
    You have to remember that Epic dungeons are not really for the benefit of the player base, it is for the benefit of Turbine's bottom line. Instead of releasing new, more challenging content, more expensive to develop content, Epic reworking of old content was introduced. They did do one thing right which was to put Epic versions of loot in as well. So, the Epic system was largely accepted as it was simply because of the loot that was, at the time, desireable, new, anc cool. Now, that content is stale, not becuase we got sick of killing jacked up Gnolls in the desert, but becuase the loot is not worth while anymore.What Turbine needs to realize, which I have to assume they know, is that if they want content to be run more often, all they have to do is put interesting loot there. Not twink gear, stuff we will want at endgame. Epic is the way to get there. My issue with the loot is that the top loot should be the hardest to acquire. If that is going back to shard, seal, scroll, so be it. I just am sick of each class looking exactly the same on every server. Same weapon, same armor, same multi-class lvl splits, same everything.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

Thumbs up

All of the quests are fun!
    luv the Slayer Area most.

Hello Epic!

Epic Tiefling Assassins Blade

Community Member

Default 3D puzzle

Ghost of a Chance I like the 3D puzzle

Donisias

Community Member

Default 3D puzzle

Ghost of a Chance I like the 3D puzzle

Donisias

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    This is one of the reason why ship-buffs need to be adjusted so they last 6 hours or until death. Rebuffing is immersion killing and sucks the fun out of a lot of content like 3BC.

It does the same for FR.
    +1 if i had one

Quote Originally Posted by fredericko View Post

Thing with 3BC is lots of running around, mediocre / bad xp per minute, and the loot. Yes, named loot has been added and yes, it's nice for that level bracket; problem is, that level bracket is not an issue gear wise for any veteran; maybe for first life players. For veteran players xp per minute is where it's at (since no TR's are interested in min lvl 5 items least they're ioun stones ofc -or old no min lvl twink gear).
    For any toon i have, waterbreathing& FF come in switcheble gear, no chance in the 9 nether realms am i spending a gear slot to that on a "permanent" basis
    Maybe if the gear was bound to acount, like the chrono set, it might have found use, now it's a waste of tr bank space.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish21 View Post
    Here are a few ideas for 3BC:
    - Leviathan, Dragon Turtle, Sharks, Illithid subtypes, Abolith, improving the functionality of the swim skill, adding Tridents
    - Give us terrain encounters, like storms & hurricanes, requiring skill checks and 'twitch' (user keyboard and mouse skills), adding the climb skill, adding nets.
    - Put in some enemy diplomacy, intimidate & bluff attacks, especially for mental encounters, adding the sense motive skill, adding some PVP during a quest
    - Death by Merfolk lure, especially as a quest objective; we want to see those bathing suits come on
    Now that it's decided by turbine to go the lazy route for epic eberon quests
    These are very nice idea's you mentioned there, here are some of mine:
    Have us excavate the old town underground,
    Create pirate "skins" to wear, give us pirate themed pets, add them to the MM to gain atleast 1 pet.
    Pirate suits, bathing suits, victorian/steam punk outfits
    Create actual new content instead of rehashing the old
    Make it lv 15-18, pirates are not epic level content.
    Start creating real Eberron content again, follow up on the 3 teleporter points in the 12, follow up on the shroud, follow up on the mournlands, the teaser quest in U20 was very nice!
    Create new races, shifters, gnomes, thri keen, half ogre(the true breed one), all of wich should have been in the game years ago

To be honnest, i had it with the pirate fanboy in the turbine team, enough is enough!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    By far the worst mechanic in this quest is the complete Inability of Hirelings {even over level hirelings} to avoid the traps in the first room - Basically Instant Hireling Death with the Only Shrine being more than Half Way through the Quest.

Oh and this is even AFTER the Traps along the top have been disabled!
    The Hireling will not run across the top and suicides him/herself on the blades every single time!
    I hear this so often, people, if you're dependend on hire's, learn how to control them, park m and teleport jump them back to you when needed. Cary pots!

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

like the whole pack, especially the slayer area and dont mind at all the run to various quests, its really not the big but is still an interesting place.
    top three favorite quests in order: scoundrels run, prove your worth, ghost of a chance

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast