View Poll Results: What's your favorite quest in Three Barrel Cove?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garl's Tomb

31 12.40%
  • Ghost of a Chance

62 24.80%
  • Guard Duty

9 3.60%
  • Legend of Two-Toed Tobias

42 16.80%
  • Prove Your Worth

108 43.20%
  • The Fire Caves

29 11.60%
  • The Scoundrel's Run

55 22.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Really ?

What's the purpose of the poll ?
    Are you going to revamp/update/upgrade 3BC finally ? ( you know Threnal could uses an overhaul too )

Since the first overhaul of 3BC, I don't like the place.
    Quests are too far away from the entrance. Running to them is especially painful on low level characters and there's more than enough XP in that range elsewhere.

Anyway, the original quests ( Grey Garl, Fire Caves, Guard Duty ) got my vote.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Really ?

What's the purpose of the poll ?
    Are you going to revamp/update/upgrade 3BC finally ? ( you know Threnal could uses an overhaul too )

Since the first overhaul of 3BC, I don't like the place.
    Quests are too far away from the entrance. Running to them is especially painful on low level characters and there's more than enough XP in that range elsewhere.

Anyway, the original quests ( Grey Garl, Fire Caves, Guard Duty ) got my vote.
    I have a feeling there wouldn't be a poll unless they plan to do something to make 3BC better.

I have to disagree with distance from quest entrance. They aren't any further than other quests in wilderness zones. Doesn't take me more than 3 minutes to get to any quest and I use the wiki map for Ghost of a Chance and Scoundrels Run because I can never remember where they are exactly.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I love the theme of 3BC, it is very refreshing in a game that is heavy on dark dreary dungeons. Also the wilderness area is one of the most beautiful in the game! If you're considering it for epification I think it would be an awesome choice.

I try to run the quests each life because I enjoy the pack but the problem is there is never any groups for it because there's little reason to run it as the XP per minute is terrible in comparison to many other packs in that level range.

My favorite quest is actually Guard Duty, I'm suprised I was the first to vote for it. But that's just me, I love defensive quests where you have to defend an objective from hordes of mobs

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I have a feeling there wouldn't be a poll unless they plan to do something to make 3BC better.

I have to disagree with distance from quest entrance. They aren't any further than other quests in wilderness zones. Doesn't take me more than 3 minutes to get to any quest and I use the wiki map for Ghost of a Chance and Scoundrels Run because I can never remember where they are exactly.
    Smokescreen.

Here's a pole for you.
    Don't think about mabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    other than that @#%$%@ LADDER! DDO controls are great for most game play, but not jumping off a ladder, spinning 180 degrees in midair and catching another.
    That's the easiest part. Just mouse-look to the ladder you wish to jump too and jump. I rarely miss even when playing on a netbook.

This is actually a really fun pack. My guess is they're asking because the devs are pondering making it epic, which would be great and give it more utility. Right now its in a crowded xp category, and the xp provided isn't amazing to justify buying the pack or the run out for most people. I still run it every life and wholeheartedly support epic-ing this pack if that is the thought. As for quests to invest in-

Prove your Worth and Scoundrel's Run are by the far the best and most interesting. For those that skip the former- I'm pretty sure they adjusted the latter run. I've never had any problem with it so long as I've had feather fall.

Ghost of a Chance and The Legend of Two-Toed Tobias are my next favorites- I especially love the underwater entrances and the super puzzle in the former.

Grey Garl is also a decent chain, and one which I always run for reasonably quick xp at a slightly higher level.

The ones I hate are Guard Duty and the Fire Caves. These suck and should be left as heroic quests.

Mine is without doubt Prove Your Worth even though it really rustled my jimmies the first few times. That quest, at level, has every element needed to instruct a new player about what skills are needed in the game. It is far more beneficial than any Korthos or Harbor quest in that respect.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

This is a trick question right?

Seriously - I have played since 2009 and have only ever gone out there twice. There is just too much XP in that level range to need to even sniff the cove.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

I'm a traditionalist, story matters, so with respect to the theme of the setting I would go Two Toed Tobias - looting a long-dead pirate's hidden treasure cache is what old D&D was about in P&P days! The dripping sarcasm at the quest turn-in was/is funny. Also enjoy Scoundrel's Run and Old Grey Garl. Prove Your Worth is tough soloing depending on the build. My 13-yo just scoots up those ladders like they are nothing, I swear it took dear ol dad 2 hours to finish it on the very, very first run - it ALMOST made me leave the island, never to step foot on it again. But I did....

It is hard to get an LFM for these because of the time involved (IMO). The journey to the quests are an awfully long run/swim. I always forget about the pirate airship all the way on the other side of the island Don't misinterpret though; I love the explorer area, however, even with the amount of time it takes - sunken ships, holed-up goblinoids, kobold wanna-bes with their own little "island", Lady Luck - it's a great theme.

The ship defense quest - beef it up a little, MOVE it out of the 3BC harbor area - it doesn't make sense there - maybe over toward the smuggler's dock area. Goblinoids might be dumb, but even they wouldn't try boarding a ship in the harbor with all of the other pirates hanging around the area.

Yaaarrr, Three Barrel Cove, Tis the place to be.

I really like Three Barrel Cove and had a hard time voting for a favorite, I only dislike one quest (Guard Duty) out there.

It's unfortunate that 3bc is in the same level range as well a lot of other quests 4-7 because it with its running requirement (hum didn't camps and teleports get put into the stormhorns hint hint hint). As a very model major general I have always wanted to see a second adventure pack added 8-10 using the same public instance where we face a rollicking band of pirates, wee!

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    Honorable mention: the ship room in Two Toed Tobias is really cool.
    I tend to refer to that as the Goonies quest. Though I do run it each life.
    Last edited by Phoenix-daBard; 10-29-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Is this really serious?

Three barrel cove you're concerned with!?

ugh
    Don't be hatin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post

A tip for all who have problems with the ladders: Use mouselook (by holding the right mouse button if it's not normally active), face the ladder you want to jump to and jump. That way you don't need to perform mid-air acrobatics.
    Thanks for the tip, but in my case it doesn't help much. It seems when I move the camera jumps back to front. I must admit, I was never good at any Mario-related skill set.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    My favorite quest is actually Guard Duty, I'm suprised I was the first to vote for it. But that's just me, I love defensive quests where you have to defend an objective from hordes of mobs
    The problem is not necessarily the quest itself. I also like defensive quests which benefit from good CC. I actually think Hold for Reinforcements is a great quest as well, and is a challenge which requires a good party on high difficulties. What everyone hates about these is that the rewards suck bad. These quests take lots of time, since they can't be zerged, and meticulous planning, but because the dungeons themselves are a single area they give absolute **** in terms of xp, favor, and loot. If the devs just added at least one meaningful reward, like a selection of unique items after completing guard duty, it'd be worth it. As it is, the only reason to play it is for the enjoyment of doing so, and that isn't enough when there are other enjoyable quests which grant good rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    I actually like 3BC a lot. My favorites are Prove your worth and Scoundrel's Run.

My only real gripe with it is that
    This guy got moved back around U13 when the loot was added. He's the only Useful NPC out there in that he casts waterbreathing on you.
    And while a higher level character can get to him.
    There is no way a level 5-7 character will have enough jump naturally to make it onto that roof. So, it's not cunning and skill that gets you to him (like he says), it's preparation with a jump pot/clickie/scroll. And if you're doing that, you might as well just prepare to bring waterbreathing and cut him out of the loop. That's a level 7 pure rogue acrobat with max ranks of jump. No jump item tho, and she's a dex build, not a strength build.
    But limiting only strength based characters with max ranks of jump, or a prepared character getting to him is a little silly. A prepared character doesn't need him.

Might I suggest adding a box to use as a step ladder to get on that roof?
    Sounds like you have a great point. I never even knew he existed.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Vote for "Prove Your Worth" or I will go to your house and take a dump on your lawn.
    How big of a pile are we talking about here? I need to know what trolls are capable of before I cast my vote.

I hates them all equally since they got rid of Scarlett the Harlot for a guessed at parental complaint at the time. Though I guess these days we've got Jeets steamhole and tons of players and hirelings that can easily fill the Scarlett role.

But like everyone else says. I'd redo the area and possibly quest levels to fit somewhere that needs more quests as I haven't needed to run out there in quite a while. Though maybe if there was a teleport option (AND NOT ONE THAT COSTS ASTRAL SHARDS). Though level-wise I wouldn't really shove pirates into end game. The current epic piratical quests from the Sentinels set are rarely run (possibly due to only 2 or 3 items that were worth anything even when that pack launched).

Also... <RANT ON> If you're talking to content creators redoing stuff. I'm tired of kiling stupid human and stupid dogs at epic L28.

Please go into Amrath again and put in the fricking Demon (or Angel) side of it as new epic content. And epic the Devil side while you're there. And add in all the other PRE rings/belt combos for all the new PRE's... and make that stuff scalable for future PRE's. NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

Also Titan pack needs a revisit similar to Ghold... aka different raid on epic.

Both of these should happen before you touch 3BC... except to put in a teleport to mid island NPC.

</RANT>
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Default well....

Fire Caves is my Favorite of the batch on Three Barrel Cove.

I love the feel of the Fire Caves quests. If more quests on 3BC were to be added it would be nice to see more caves delving into the volcano. I like how you have to go back and do the second part of destroying the alters. I do wish there was more to do with the area you can climb to get a collectable. maybe have a rare hag or something there to fight.

Scoundrels run is second favorite on 3BC, used to fear those fire traps back in the day. fun quest.

and Garls tomb is third favorite on 3BC, dark and damp quests these are. great feel to them as well.

I do not like running to quests that much in DDO. You should have an option to teleport to quest from quest giver once the quest entrance is found.

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

The DDO Wiki has the page for Three-Barrel Cove being created in January 2006. Looking through Quests by Adventure Pack it appears that Mod 7 added 3 quests to the area and changed the map to a wilderness zone. Prior to that there were 6 quests in 4 dungeons and a large empty(?) map.
    For a long time 3BC languished as the only adventure pack without any named items in addition to poor XP rates. MotU introduced named items for the rare encounters as well as an item set, weapons and Pirate Treasure Map to the end rewards in the pack. This brought many people into these old quests and more people ran them.
    /endhistory Please tell me if I got any of this wrong.
    The whole area is well designed except for the size of the explorer map which is too large. The quests are all interesting and well thought out except the ladder jump in prove your worth. If the ladder jump in prove your worth was ladders on the same wall or free standing ladders next to each other and facing the same way that would be much better. The best quests are Two-Toed Tobias and Old Grey Garl. Two-Toed Tobias is good because of the puzzles and great map making it fun to play. Old Grey Garl has an even better map but being a higher level quest the stronger enemies give less chance to experience the map without the puzzles of Two-Toed Tobias.

I find almost this whole area BETTER than most new quests released since I started playing. The quests in U11 (House C) are uniformly better designed except their XP rate is worse. U6 is the only entire pack I would give better ratings to when taking the pack as a whole.

I have a suggestion for a change to the ladder jump in prove your worth. One ladder coming up from the ground with nothing behind it. The top will just end no wall behind it, nothing. The target ladder will hang down from the ceiling parallel to the first ladder and in line with it ending above jumping height from the floor. They will be separated more than enough to let a player fall between them. The goal of this is still a jump between ladders but an easier jump that causes less frustration.
    Last edited by Book_O_Dragons; 10-29-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlin View Post
    How big of a pile are we talking about here? I need to know what trolls are capable of before I cast my vote.
    I had a burrito for lunch.

You feeling lucky?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast