View Poll Results: What's your favorite quest in Three Barrel Cove?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garl's Tomb

31 12.40%
  • Ghost of a Chance

62 24.80%
  • Guard Duty

9 3.60%
  • Legend of Two-Toed Tobias

42 16.80%
  • Prove Your Worth

108 43.20%
  • The Fire Caves

29 11.60%
  • The Scoundrel's Run

55 22.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

i like Legend of Two-Toed Tobias not due the quest layout, i like it cause it feels like a pirate story and sadly the full quest package fails to give the real pirate feel.

Prove Your Worth -> Stairs and puzzle? No very piratish...
    The Scoundrel's Run-> More Indiana jones stuff related
    Fire Caves -> hmm pirates and volcanos dont mix.

So, my vote will go for Tobias (a ghost pirate) or Guard Duty (pirates asaulting a ship).

In 4 years I've only gone there maybe 10 times. House P Carnival chain is more XP, and I perfer House P favor over Free Agents. Most importantly for me, it overlaps Necro 1 which is a gold mine for XP, and the Silver Flame favor is great for tavern heals. If I were not VIP I dont think I would ever go there.

I will say it is a very well designed area, that seems as complete as Korthos/Harbor/Market

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    I love the theme of Three Barrel cove. Unfortunately it is in a level range that is fat with quest so I do not spend much time out there unless I have guild mate at the same level in the TR process. Then we go out and do them all because they are pretty good. The wilderness area is one of my favorite.
    Yeah - the way the game has evolved in the past couple of years, a level 3-8 wilderness area just doesn't get much play as you aren't in those levels for very long any more. That's unfortunate.

But that said: I actually hated 'Prove Your Worth' - I could never come up with a way to do those ladders at level (not even close), so I gave up in frustration. I do like everything else about the island - including the underwater loot, the underwater explorers and quests, the kobolds' bizarre proclivities, and the piratey music.

Timely poll considering I just ran through all the 3BC for the first time in a LONG time.

My fave is definitely Scoundrel's Run. Great mix of puzzles, mazes, and combat.

I'm actually not a fan of Prove Your Worth. Feels like a bunch of uber traps and puzzle rooms that stop you in your tracks while you get through them. Whereas Scoundrel's Run I always want to figure out on my own, I immediately bring up the wiki for PYW because I just want to get through it. And while I'm not anti-twitch, the ladder "chimney" is super annoying.

I really enjoyed playing through Grey Garl against (well except for the trog casters ). Great level design, especially the big open temple areas.

Honorable mention: the ship room in Two Toed Tobias is really cool.

I like the entire pack. Whenever any of my characters are in the level range I'm off to explore the island and run the quests, with one exception: Guard Duty is one of those boring one-room quests where you just wait for spawning mobs - prime example for lazy and unimaginative quest design.

My favorite quests in the area are Scoundrel's Run, Prove Your Worth and Legend Of Two-Toed Tobias, with Scoundrel's Run being slightly in the lead. All three are awesome examples of how a quest can be much more than just a hackfest.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    [...]

The quest that WOULD be the most fun but ISN'T is Prove Your Worth. A great quest that's interesting and fun... other than that @#%$%@ LADDER! DDO controls are great for most game play, but not jumping off a ladder, spinning 180 degrees in midair and catching another.

[...]
    A tip for all who have problems with the ladders: Use mouselook (by holding the right mouse button if it's not normally active), face the ladder you want to jump to and jump. That way you don't need to perform mid-air acrobatics.
    Last edited by Gizeh; 10-29-2013 at 11:49 AM.

What's the one that you enter underwater and there's that electrified puzzle at the end?

Yeah, that one.
    .:Sarlona - ELH:. Inamorata (TR11 Completionist WIP) / Groundloop (TR2) / Signalmixer (TR) / Serraphiia (TR)
    Angelorum (TR) / Darqchylde / Aetherielle / Rashree / Colordepth / Wintremoon / Tarrynn
    Amarizi / Genozid / Arising / Tenpercenter / Ellixia / Zecele / Harika / Lainiel / Zephale

Community Member

Epic TBC pass, that's my favourite :-)

Community Member

Some of the first stuff i managed to solo on a char was 3bc
    Solving those puzzles out there - and ladders - is still an all time great in my ddo experience
    i voted ghost of a chance because of a fantastic hour spent there ... once upon a time.
    unfortunately very rarely parties wanna Draw on this experience of mine. but thats their problem

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    The quest-makers are curious: what's your favorite quest(s) of Three Barrel Cove?
    None of the above, haven't been to 3bc in the last 27 lives.

Quote Originally Posted by oldkraft2 View Post
    Some of the first stuff i managed to solo on a char was 3bc
    Solving those puzzles out there - and ladders - is still an all time great in my ddo experience
    i voted ghost of a chance because of a fantastic hour spent there ... once upon a time.
    unfortunately very rarely parties wanna Draw on this experience of mine. but thats their problem
    What server are you on? I've never been able to get the extra XP for that one. Even with the wiki.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    What server are you on? I've never been able to get the extra XP for that one. Even with the wiki.
    cannith .
    dunno about xp - Theres 2 chests in it anyway

Three barrel cove quests are fun (for the most part- let's just forget Guard Duty ever happened). The quest designs are decent- a good mix of mobs, some interesting puzzles (I love the puzzle at the end of ghost of a Chance), 'expanding' dungeons, and so on. Overall a real classic D&D feel that I think has really been lacking in new content.

The problem I have with 3BC: why stop to smell the roses at levels 4-8? It's a mad dash at that point for everyone I know. The competition for efficient XP in that level range is very stiff. Why do a quest in 3BC that takes ~5 minutes to run to when you could do Deleras 2/4, Necro 1/2, Tear, Tangleroot, STK, etc which are far more efficient? Even with XP ransacking D2 on E/H/H/H/N is probably better XP than all of 3BC and it can be done in a round of ship buffs with the right group.

I'd love to see the area get some attention. Maybe add teleporting to the explorer (similar to the storm horns area). Increase overall quest XP. Make it a low level Saga with Sentinels of Stormreach (or something similar). The items that got added awhile back were cool- but not cool enough and are now outclasses by the new random loot.
    Captains Crew, Ghallanda
    Tweakfoo (Monk, 7th Life) | Tweakbot (Wizard, 8th Life) | Tweakit (Bladeforged Fighter Mutt, 16th Life, Completionist)

Thats a tough choice, since there are several good aspects to all of those quests. I like Prove Your Worth because the quest is a giant puzzle and fun to run. I like the Scoundrels run because there are a few different ways to approach it. I like how Garls Tomb and the fire Caves are a little different each phase you run. I like Tobias and Ghost have the unique physical puzzles to solve.

Guard Duty is hard to like, but it does have some redeeming qualities. I like how thematic the quest is. I like how the waves dont start until someone is above deck, so you can gather up and prepare. In a lot of ways, we already have several versions of this quest, because this is really the early version of the Cannith and Eveningstar Challenges.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Hero

I like both Old Garl Gray and Prove Your Worth. Old Garl Gray has a nice variety of enemies and Prove Your Worth makes you think a little. The ladder part being most annoying and I find the switch puzzle near the end a bit confusing but overall I like the quest as a whole.
    Last edited by GauArrowny; 10-29-2013 at 12:30 PM.

The quest-makers are curious: what's your favorite quest(s) of Three Barrel Cove?
    i think this pack is excellent. i like the quests. prove your worth is awesome and one of my favorite because its not your usual quest. it combines a lot of things into it. granted i wished there was a good end fight. Since you guys are asking about the area. move it to 10-12 range it will get more love that way. if you make it epic it i think it will bring a little bit to the epics. tie it together with Sentinels chain. both being pirates of course. you can even do a heroic saga and epic saga trying a few chains together.

I really like The Legend of Two-Toed Tobias, Old Grey Garl and Scoundrel's Run. They are definitely my favorites of Three Barrel Cove. Prove Your Worth is okay...but I hate that ladder part with a passion.

The only one I dislike is Prove Your Worth and that's only because I suck at Mario ladder jumping. Haven't run the quest in a few years, but I think the rest of the quest is fine.

My favorites are Scoundrels Run and Ghost of a Chance. The rest of the quests are OK.

I actually like 3BC a lot. My favorites are Prove your worth and Scoundrel's Run.

My only real gripe with it is that

This guy got moved back around U13 when the loot was added. He's the only Useful NPC out there in that he casts waterbreathing on you.
    And while a higher level character can get to him.

There is no way a level 5-7 character will have enough jump naturally to make it onto that roof. So, it's not cunning and skill that gets you to him (like he says), it's preparation with a jump pot/clickie/scroll. And if you're doing that, you might as well just prepare to bring waterbreathing and cut him out of the loop. That's a level 7 pure rogue acrobat with max ranks of jump. No jump item tho, and she's a dex build, not a strength build.
    But limiting only strength based characters with max ranks of jump, or a prepared character getting to him is a little silly. A prepared character doesn't need him.

Might I suggest adding a box to use as a step ladder to get on that roof?

I dislike mario ladder jumping in Prove Your Worth, which is the most tedious. Others are fine. Scoundrel's Run was the most fun. Guard Duty was the most boring.

Question for the developers: Why aren't there an Epic option?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Thumbs up

Like others, I prefer Scoundrel's Run and Prove Your Worth.
    "The sword itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with swords."

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast