View Poll Results: What's your favorite quest in Three Barrel Cove?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garl's Tomb

31 12.40%
  • Ghost of a Chance

62 24.80%
  • Guard Duty

9 3.60%
  • Legend of Two-Toed Tobias

42 16.80%
  • Prove Your Worth

108 43.20%
  • The Fire Caves

29 11.60%
  • The Scoundrel's Run

55 22.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Prove Your Worth is undoubtedly my favorite. I run this at least once every life. However, I realize that not everyone shares the same high opinion of this quest as I do. It requires skill and wits to maneuver the challenges. The icing on the cake is the "talk like a pirate" challenge at the end. The whole darn quest is just one fun little challenge after the other. I love quests like that. I love the acrobatics and mazes like those in The Pit, The Coalescence Chamber, and Spies in the House as well. I realize not everyone enjoys such quests as much as I do. Some just want to kill monsters and run to the end, but I find that boring. Prove Your Worth breaks up some of the low-level monotony.

I do like the massive puzzle in Ghost of a Chance, so it gets 2nd place for me. I also like that it is optional but grants bonus loot and great XP. So those who want to do it are highly rewarded and those who hate such puzzles can skip them.

As for my least favorite: Guard Duty, without a doubt. I don't even have to think about it. Not only is it incredibly easy, even soloing on elite, it's just boring waiting for monsters to spawn. If it were fast-paced and monsters spawned more readily or there were a greater degree of dungeon scaling, I might enjoy it more, but I usually skip it. BTW it is also TERRIBLE XP/Min.

Prove Your Worth.

I just like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    I love the theme of Three Barrel cove. Unfortunately it is in a level range that is fat with quest so I do not spend much time out there unless I have guild mate at the same level in the TR process. Then we go out and do them all because they are pretty good. The wilderness area is one of my favorite.
    Same here... I almost always seem to skip it, but when I do run them, I enjoy them all... especially the wilderness area...

Bump the whole thing up to level 17 (or heck, epic) and more people will buy it and run it. That's GOT to be easier than building a whole new pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    The quest-makers are curious: what's your favorite quest(s) of Three Barrel Cove?
    I hate seeing questions like this...

the Quests are NOT the problem with 3 Barrel Cove.

I would do them all every life IF

1: they were easier to get to
    and
    2: they provided XP comparable to other quests in the level range.

well.. Maybe not Guard Duty.... But the rest. Definitly.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Default want to see people running 3BC?

Give the explorer area the Kings forest treatment. Random rares and random mobs. I detest knowing exactly what is around the next corner or tree.

drop a lvl 10 dragon in there....

make it interesting for ppl to head out there instead of running for hours and killing very little. the quest are scattered so far apart, leave them be.. just add new ones to fill gaps

Community Member

Ghost of a Chance and Prove Your Worth.

Ghost because of the great puzzle at the end that still has a way to easily bypass if you're not a puzzle lover.

Prove because it's more about flavor and puzzles than combat.

I'd love to see a quest that was nothing but a huge no combat maze with shortcuts utilizing every skill available, such as a wounded npc you use heal on to open a shortcut, and a TRULY random layout so that each run was different. I know such a quest would be very low on the popularity of most players, but then I also love The Pit, Coal Chamber, and some others that most players hate

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Is this really serious?

Three barrel cove you're concerned with!?

ugh
    hehe I agree with you for once Cetus lmao
    Kahzadoom~Xzr~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~DoomTusk~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

None of the above.

3BC isn't worth the time.

Unless you are planning on making an epic version.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Prove Your Worth...really? funny how that quest can currently own 44% of the votes yet I suspect it is the least run quest on the whole island. BTW, the quest that wins should get +500% base xp for an entire month.....
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Community Member

Default favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    The quest-makers are curious: what's your favorite quest(s) of Three Barrel Cove?
    my favorite would be prove your worth just cause it takes some skill to do it

Community Member

Hard to say which is my favorite. Some comments:

- "The Fire Caves" is my favorite map, with all sorts of interesting nooks and crannies in the caves. I don't feel the theme is too out of place; there are savage natives in at least one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, after all! And I like the story line behind it. However, it's not so good that I like having to go back and do it a second time, especially being so far across the island.

- "Garl's Tomb" definitely has given me some memorable moments. Again, the major flaw is that it's not so good that I want to do it all over again.

- "Two-Toed Tobias" has some really cool stuff in it. The overall quest is pretty repetitive and dull, though. Last time I ran it I got bored.

- "Ghost of a Chance" is mostly fun, although I found the warforged theme out of place for 3BC -- moreso than the Fire Caves! However, even though I love the kind of tile puzzle it uses, this one is a bit too much 'on steroids' for me. (The same goes for the one in Sane Asylum.) They're still fun when you're soloing, but running it with a party brings the group to a crashing halt.

- "Prove Your Worth" has some neat stuff too, and I am one of those who has no problem with the ladders. I routinely play with Mouse-Look turned on, and with that and FF it's a breeze. However, the rest of PYW just doesn't really stick in my head all that much, I wouldn't even be able to comment on it if I hadn't read others' comments here.

- "Guard Duty" has the advantage of being short and easy to get to. Every pack could stand to have a filler-material quest with those characteristics! Yeah, it's not very exciting, but it's not that painful... unless you let too many of them die and have to do it all over again!

- "The Scoundrel's Run" has never done it for me. It's a fairly neat quest, I suppose, but thematically it's a mess. The architecture is all wrong for 3BC, and it doesn't really feel right for the description given by the quest-giver. There should be spectators, the place should be easily accessible from the town... imagine a contest where as a spectator, just getting to the arena involves a trek into the wilderness as dangerous as anything the contestants are going to face!

Perhaps the answer to this is to tie it in with peoples' desire for a quick way out to the far end of the island. Instead of giving you instructions to run halfway across the island, Rosie could direct you to talk to an NPC in town who transports people out to the contest site. Then there could be a matching NPC stationed by the entrance to "Scoundrel's" who is the other end of the business, and who you talk to to get back to town.

Default New Enemies ?

Here are a few ideas for 3BC:
    - Leviathan, Dragon Turtle, Sharks, Illithid subtypes, Abolith, improving the functionality of the swim skill, adding Tridents
    - Give us terrain encounters, like storms & hurricanes, requiring skill checks and 'twitch' (user keyboard and mouse skills), adding the climb skill, adding nets.
    - Put in some enemy diplomacy, intimidate & bluff attacks, especially for mental encounters, adding the sense motive skill, adding some PVP during a quest
    - Death by Merfolk lure, especially as a quest objective; we want to see those bathing suits come on

Community Member

Actually I don't care much for any of the quests. What I like the best is doing the slayer quests. I think 3bc is one of the most attractive and interesting wilderness areas in the game. Usually I spend an hour or two doing slayer and "sightseeing."
    “You can be full of kindness and love, but you cannot sleep next to a mad dog.”
    Ashin Wirathu, Burmese monk.

Community Member

Default Gwylan's Stand

And Tharask Arena

Well I used to run all the 3BC quests before the area was upgraded, and was the expert/guide for a guild and would drag them all along on elite runs for favor every month or so. They were just a fun change from the rest of the quests available back then. I still run them on everyone, but that is probably due to my completionist tendencies. I don't farm quests for XP, and I love doing explorer areas as well, so that has always appealed to me. It does not take that long to run to the quests, pretty much on par with most explorer areas with quests. One thing they could consider would be a quest giver companion near the entrance to the two repeat quests. Finish part one and they execute the script the main giver pitches for part 2. That run back (or recall) and then back out can be annoying. While they use the same mechanic in Threnal, those runs are real short. I also think that buffing up Free Agents boons might be a nice way to incentivize more play out there.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Same here... I almost always seem to skip it, but when I do run them, I enjoy them all... especially the wilderness area...

Bump the whole thing up to level 17 (or heck, epic) and more people will buy it and run it. That's GOT to be easier than building a whole new pack.
    Oooh... Epic 3bc... I like the idea
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

prove your worth
    two toed tobias
    scoundrels run

Default Or ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kylstrem View Post
    I initially like the redo of Three Barrel cove, but now it's barely worth the time to go out there at those levels.

Here are my annoyances.

1) The two two-part quests... no one wants to run all the way back to the beginning to advance to the second part. At level 7, people want their XP and want to move on. Put the quest giver (or a copy of the quest giver) at the entrance to these two "chains".

2) Fire caves (and legend of two-toed tobias to some extent): Having to run (swim) all the way done one corridor to pull a switch, and then all the way back down that corridor doing nothing but retracing steps is annoying. Again, people are in a hurry at level 7... no one wants to flower sniff these quests after the nth time of running them.

3) Increase the XP of these quests if you want people to run them. They take too long to run to. Some may be fast to complete, but the run time to get them kills that time saving.

4) WHY THE HECK ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT LEVEL 5-7 QUESTS!?!?!!! People spend less than 1-2 hours at these 2 levels.... get us some end-game content!!! Spending time fixing 3BC when you could spend time on high level things, like RAIDS, is silly.
    Maybe you should consider that not everyone wants your style of play. Admit it, your optimised quest style involves entering a dungeon, pressing a button, receiving exp, window repeating it until the exp/min sucks and then run to the next.
    Now something new for you: There are people who do not think that exp/min is a relevant factor for their playing fun.
    Regardless what the developers do with these quests, people like you are not going to run them. Unless the quest exp are increased that much, that they are superior to your current favourity ZERG_AND_REPEAT quest for that level range. So that the 1-2 hours your chars spend at these levels is even more reduced.

To sum it up. Your opinion is not relevant for the majority of the player base. Go zerg somewhere else

Favourite quests of 3BC: Prove your worth, Scoundrel's Run and Ghost of a chance. Even though the last gives the impression as if two quests have been artifically merged. There is a distinct change of 'feeling' when you move from the pirate cave to the warforged area.
    Last edited by Araleas; 10-31-2013 at 07:27 AM.

I ran it on my last TR for the first time. (went solo to experience it fully and without pressure)

I didn't really enjoy any of them. Even the wilderness was too big for my liking.
    The puzzle in Prove you worth had bad visible feedback on the interactions and I needed DDOwiki to finish it.
    Ghost of a Chance gave me a similar experience and I needed to do it again.
    The others were just a bit slow and may become better with a party.
    NedrilFavored Soul . GidraMonkcher . LambalorBard . Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gDra View Post
    I ran it on my last TR for the first time. (went solo to experience it fully and without pressure)

I didn't really enjoy any of them. Even the wilderness was too big for my liking.
    The puzzle in Prove you worth had bad visible feedback on the interactions and I needed DDOwiki to finish it.
    Ghost of a Chance gave me a similar experience and I needed to do it again.
    The others were just a bit slow and may become better with a party.
    I did the same thing first time I ran these, just me and wife. I disagree on the puzzle though, if you watch it you can figure it out. The big wilderness is the draw for people who like to run a wilderness to death, but not so much for those who want quests. As for everyone who has ladders climb problems: mouse look = problem solved.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast