Community Member

Default New player, Barb race questions

Hi,

I started three days ago, and today I picked up the VIP pack because I have been enjoying the game. I played a dwarf barbarian to level 4 (almost 5), and I like the hack 'n slash reminded me of oldschool diablo II but in 3d mode. I'd like to stick with the barb class, but with the VIP pack opening up the half orc I decided to try that out. I have been researching the class over the past few days but I still have some unanswered questions. Orcs get +2 str over dwarves, how much damage is +2str on a per hit basis, say with a 2h weapon if equal gear. If it varies greatly between levels then maybe a few ballpark estimates at various levels would helpful. If the STR stat isn't that significant than I would rather just roll a drow or halfling barb instead.

I also read that orcs only get 1 skill point per level and should "eat a tome" early so they can get more..Are these the points that go towards things like jump, balance, tumble etc.? Also, I found a tome on my dwarf that said it granted +1 search, but I wasn't sure if I should use it in case it took up a "tome" slot or something. The guides I have read generally say to raise four skills (jump, balance, tumble, intimidate) and another one mentioned concentration. I am weary here because it seems these stats can't be redone if one makes a mistake.

Thank you for all your answers. I have spent more time reading about this game so far than actually playing it, but I am sure I will have many more questions because I can't find all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by sayan View Post
    Hi,

I started three days ago, and today I picked up the VIP pack because I have been enjoying the game. I played a dwarf barbarian to level 4 (almost 5), and I like the hack 'n slash reminded me of oldschool diablo II but in 3d mode. I'd like to stick with the barb class, but with the VIP pack opening up the half orc I decided to try that out. I have been researching the class over the past few days but I still have some unanswered questions. Orcs get +2 str over dwarves, how much damage is +2str on a per hit basis, say with a 2h weapon if equal gear. If it varies greatly between levels then maybe a few ballpark estimates at various levels would helpful. If the STR stat isn't that significant than I would rather just roll a drow or halfling barb instead.

I also read that orcs only get 1 skill point per level and should "eat a tome" early so they can get more..Are these the points that go towards things like jump, balance, tumble etc.? Also, I found a tome on my dwarf that said it granted +1 search, but I wasn't sure if I should use it in case it took up a "tome" slot or something. The guides I have read generally say to raise four skills (jump, balance, tumble, intimidate) and another one mentioned concentration. I am weary here because it seems these stats can't be redone if one makes a mistake.

Thank you for all your answers. I have spent more time reading about this game so far than actually playing it, but I am sure I will have many more questions because I can't find all the answers.
    Ok. First off the Half Orc or Horc is a race that is generally used with strength builds like barbarians. I have played a dwarf and Horc barbarian and Horc was a significant increase in damage. As a barbarian you want as much strength as possible, so a drow or Halfling would greatly reduce your damage output also because Horc and dwarf enhancements are geared towards barbarians. (Even though I absolutely love Halflings!!!!! )

For your second question, I believe they were referring to an intelligence tome so you get more points to spend in intimidate. With the high strength of barbarians and numerous items, not many points need to be spent in jump. Balance and tumble may not be as beneficial to you as your dexterity modifier may be lacking from your focus on strength and constitution. As for concentration... I'm not sure that is of any use to a pure barbarian since they do not cast spells. And a lesser reincarnation can allow you to respend skill points, enhancements, feats, and many other things you may have messed up in your initial creation attempt. Also being so low level rerolling another toon would not be too hard of an option.

~Somewhat Friendly Neighborhood Halfling
    Orien: ~Erofen (28 Assassin Rogue) ~Erostorage (16 PM Wizard) ~Erofenmonk (28 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (24 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (28 Barb) ~Erofenbless (28 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (28 Cleric Dualbox) ~Erofenten (20 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

every 2 strength is +2 damage with a 2handed weapon.. there's also enhancements in the racial path that add +1 to the damage from power attack, which is doubled with 2handers, plus half orcs have a line which adds extra damage with 2handers too so you can get a pretty significant damage increase as a half orc vs. any other race.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Half-orc is all about the brutal melee damage and suits the Barbarian very well. If you decide to invest heavily in your racial tree (and bear in mind that most characters can happily spend all 80 action points in their class trees, so it's a definite trade-off) then Half Orcs can get an ability called Raging Crush which requires you to be raged, but guarantees the next attack will be a critical hit. This is an extremely powerful enhancement, particularly for a Barbarian, who has several ways to raise his critical damage multiplier. Half orcs really bring it.

On the other hand, if you want more survival or utility from your racial choice, then options like dwarf and human are attractive as well. Human will make it easier to fit in all the skills and feats you may want, and dwarves are extremely hardy individuals.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    On the other hand, if you want more survival or utility from your racial choice, then options like dwarf and human are attractive as well. Human will make it easier to fit in all the skills and feats you may want, and dwarves are extremely hardy individuals.
    If you want something with a more unusual flavour but still fun an elf barbarian can be surprisingly effective with displacement through the dragonmark - ok, its not as hard-hitting & has a little less HP, but combined with uncanny dodge & some decent dodge chance on gear you can massively increase your overall survivability in higher levels, which will make you popular with the healers
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    If you want something with a more unusual flavour but still fun an elf barbarian can be surprisingly effective with displacement through the dragonmark
    DMed elf barb? Now that's just crazy talk!

Horcs and dwarves are both quintessential barbarian races. While horcs may have a bit more in the pure DPS department, dwarves are probably a bit more survivable.

Barbarians are all about high strength, and rage is their primary ability. You can't go wrong as long as you maximize str and have a decent con.

Your first character(s) will never be perfect, don't sweat about it too much and just stick to it.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

put enough points in tumble to even the number out. I wouldn't waste the search tome on a barb. its better if you plan to play a rogue. barbs are all about killing and that's where the focus should be. you will want to put points into balance, intimidate, listen and if you eat Int tomes or have extra points I also invest in spot. in the low levels barbs are usually fine soloing, but since you are still new and the higher you go the harder it will be to stay alive. don't be afraid to use a hire and bring plenty of csw pots. I suggest also to start out on normal to get to know the class and the quests better before jumping into a difficulty you cant handle.

Humans make decent barbs too, healing amplification, extra skill points, action boosts, extra feat.

Dwarfs are sturdy and get a bonus vs magic, extra damage with axes and most importantly beards!!!

Half orc are made for dps, they make excelent stunning barbs, doing lots of extra damage, they are not bound to axes like dwarfs, any 2handed weapon is leathal in their hands!Their str is huge, esp when rag/frenzy/deathfrenzy is active. Add some power attack enhancements, critt multipliers and you're off!

Some advice though, not in any particular order
    1, be self sufficient, bring cure serious wounds pots (csw), lesser restoration( dropping out of rage makes you tirred, this will fix that) remove poison/dissease/blindness

2, run chalanges for bracers of the wind, dont bother to upgrade them, use m for 20% miss change.

3, invest in str, items, racial/class enhancements and level ups.

3, take power attack early, turn it on when you log in, big dps boost.

4, consider taking cleave and great cleave, great room clearers and presiquites for overwhelming crittical. more feats: here
    5, considder 2handed fighting feats (all 3) the extra damage works on cleaves too.

6, work on reflex saves, dont be afraid to multiclass! 2,6 or 8 rog/ranger works fine, while stil having acces to the most powerfull barb enhancements.

7, experiment with hirelings

8, cary the best fortrification item that your level can provide, minos legends works well in heroic.

9, heal amp, pdk gloves work well and are easy to get

Things to look out for, early level, korthos set, spearbane bracers from protecting the crystal, these will make you near immune to arrows on korthos (untill you get wind bracers), carnifex is great too, though you'll want a good alligned ghostbane maul for doing delara's tomb first.

Str/dex/con gear and tomes, here's a link on how they work: link to tomes

gl

Community Member

good stuff so far

your aim should be to rage from shrine to shrine, this will let you tap into the barbarians full power. to do this focus on getting extra rages and longer rages early on (split up over frenzied and ravager trees). also note CON makes your rages last longer, so boosting that will also give you more rage time per day

get ear smash from the occult tree and add the sleep enhancement upgrade to it, this will give you at least 50% extra damage to any mob you hit with ear bash (much more by the end of the game)
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

one more point you should be aware of.
    barbs are healing sponges. you will need to get some cash so as fast as you can get some heal pots (potions) from say the house k venders.
    ask for some cash from a guildie or from what seems like a nice vet.

pots will help you though lvl 12 ish, when they fall behind the damage you will be taking.

This is one reason why it's actually not so easy to play a barb.

One thing I advise, is to actually let someone else get agro, say a monk or pali, and then wade in. Counter intuitive to what a barb is suposed ot be about, but as a first life, this is the way to go.

don't worry about tomes and stuff just yet.
    Just learn the combat mechanics, how to set up your bars to use 1-9 numbers, etc.
    Don't worry too much about gear except for fortification items (heavy fort by lvl 11-12, medium at least before that), ability items, false life items and vitality.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

1 more vote for human.
    heal amp is huge advantage, almost noone heals anymore, everything is byoh these days, when you are squishy as barbarian, then make damn sure Silver flame pots are worth chugging or renewal from that cleric hits for good amount.
    dual boosting racial damage + dread haste ( either in destiny or twisted ).
    extra skill point for easier umd
    extra feat for tactic feat or whatever
    no stat penalty means easier to hit 11 in stats for SF
    your toon doesn't look like overgrown orangutan ( might be disadvantage though )
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda