Hybrid View

Community Member

Default New player, Barb race questions

Hi,

I started three days ago, and today I picked up the VIP pack because I have been enjoying the game. I played a dwarf barbarian to level 4 (almost 5), and I like the hack 'n slash reminded me of oldschool diablo II but in 3d mode. I'd like to stick with the barb class, but with the VIP pack opening up the half orc I decided to try that out. I have been researching the class over the past few days but I still have some unanswered questions. Orcs get +2 str over dwarves, how much damage is +2str on a per hit basis, say with a 2h weapon if equal gear. If it varies greatly between levels then maybe a few ballpark estimates at various levels would helpful. If the STR stat isn't that significant than I would rather just roll a drow or halfling barb instead.

I also read that orcs only get 1 skill point per level and should "eat a tome" early so they can get more..Are these the points that go towards things like jump, balance, tumble etc.? Also, I found a tome on my dwarf that said it granted +1 search, but I wasn't sure if I should use it in case it took up a "tome" slot or something. The guides I have read generally say to raise four skills (jump, balance, tumble, intimidate) and another one mentioned concentration. I am weary here because it seems these stats can't be redone if one makes a mistake.

Thank you for all your answers. I have spent more time reading about this game so far than actually playing it, but I am sure I will have many more questions because I can't find all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by sayan View Post
    Hi,

I started three days ago, and today I picked up the VIP pack because I have been enjoying the game. I played a dwarf barbarian to level 4 (almost 5), and I like the hack 'n slash reminded me of oldschool diablo II but in 3d mode. I'd like to stick with the barb class, but with the VIP pack opening up the half orc I decided to try that out. I have been researching the class over the past few days but I still have some unanswered questions. Orcs get +2 str over dwarves, how much damage is +2str on a per hit basis, say with a 2h weapon if equal gear. If it varies greatly between levels then maybe a few ballpark estimates at various levels would helpful. If the STR stat isn't that significant than I would rather just roll a drow or halfling barb instead.

I also read that orcs only get 1 skill point per level and should "eat a tome" early so they can get more..Are these the points that go towards things like jump, balance, tumble etc.? Also, I found a tome on my dwarf that said it granted +1 search, but I wasn't sure if I should use it in case it took up a "tome" slot or something. The guides I have read generally say to raise four skills (jump, balance, tumble, intimidate) and another one mentioned concentration. I am weary here because it seems these stats can't be redone if one makes a mistake.

Thank you for all your answers. I have spent more time reading about this game so far than actually playing it, but I am sure I will have many more questions because I can't find all the answers.
    Ok. First off the Half Orc or Horc is a race that is generally used with strength builds like barbarians. I have played a dwarf and Horc barbarian and Horc was a significant increase in damage. As a barbarian you want as much strength as possible, so a drow or Halfling would greatly reduce your damage output also because Horc and dwarf enhancements are geared towards barbarians. (Even though I absolutely love Halflings!!!!! )

For your second question, I believe they were referring to an intelligence tome so you get more points to spend in intimidate. With the high strength of barbarians and numerous items, not many points need to be spent in jump. Balance and tumble may not be as beneficial to you as your dexterity modifier may be lacking from your focus on strength and constitution. As for concentration... I'm not sure that is of any use to a pure barbarian since they do not cast spells. And a lesser reincarnation can allow you to respend skill points, enhancements, feats, and many other things you may have messed up in your initial creation attempt. Also being so low level rerolling another toon would not be too hard of an option.

~Somewhat Friendly Neighborhood Halfling
    Orien: ~Erofen (28 Assassin Rogue) ~Erostorage (16 PM Wizard) ~Erofenmonk (28 Light Monk) ~Erofentrap (24 Roguerficer (1st TR/Legend Build ever)) ~Erofenbarb (28 Barb) ~Erofenbless (28 FvS Chest Blesser) ~Erofenthree (28 Cleric Dualbox) ~Erofenten (20 Barb Triplebox)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'? Kex! Stop It! O.o

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

every 2 strength is +2 damage with a 2handed weapon.. there's also enhancements in the racial path that add +1 to the damage from power attack, which is doubled with 2handers, plus half orcs have a line which adds extra damage with 2handers too so you can get a pretty significant damage increase as a half orc vs. any other race.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Half-orc is all about the brutal melee damage and suits the Barbarian very well. If you decide to invest heavily in your racial tree (and bear in mind that most characters can happily spend all 80 action points in their class trees, so it's a definite trade-off) then Half Orcs can get an ability called Raging Crush which requires you to be raged, but guarantees the next attack will be a critical hit. This is an extremely powerful enhancement, particularly for a Barbarian, who has several ways to raise his critical damage multiplier. Half orcs really bring it.

On the other hand, if you want more survival or utility from your racial choice, then options like dwarf and human are attractive as well. Human will make it easier to fit in all the skills and feats you may want, and dwarves are extremely hardy individuals.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clatterfist View Post
    On the other hand, if you want more survival or utility from your racial choice, then options like dwarf and human are attractive as well. Human will make it easier to fit in all the skills and feats you may want, and dwarves are extremely hardy individuals.
    If you want something with a more unusual flavour but still fun an elf barbarian can be surprisingly effective with displacement through the dragonmark - ok, its not as hard-hitting & has a little less HP, but combined with uncanny dodge & some decent dodge chance on gear you can massively increase your overall survivability in higher levels, which will make you popular with the healers
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    If you want something with a more unusual flavour but still fun an elf barbarian can be surprisingly effective with displacement through the dragonmark
    DMed elf barb? Now that's just crazy talk!