Default I really wish they'd rebalance XP from quests every couple updates.....

I really wish they'd rebalance XP from quests every couple updates, to keep things fresh on the PuG scene.

It's always the same bunch of quests that people are running. Constant VoN, Gianthold, Vale, Epic versions of old quests. Mostly TR's are the culprit here. They want to min/max for XP on the quests they learned years ago, so they can cheese it and avoid any challenges.

Well, I wish they'd kill the XP gains from these quests big time. Every day I try to open/join a PuG for a Chain or Quest that isn't so popular, with next to nobody joining it.
    -Sharn Chain: No takers.
    -Any Restless Isle quest: Zero interest.
    -Threnal: Forget it.
    -Harbinger Chain: Waited 2 hours before 1 guy joined.
    -Wheloon Heroic: Literally nobody joined for 3 straight hours.
    -Underdark Content: Hard to fill a party, especially when for anything past the first chain.

I want Turbine to force TR's to the lesser ran quests by either granting much more XP in obscure quests, and/or vastly improving the loot gained from them.

Better yet, have a global ransack penalty integrated into DDO. The top 20 most frequently ran quests on a server have a -20%XP penalty. The bottom 20 least frequently ran quests on a server grant +20% XP. This updates automagically every week.

Revive content, stop letting TR's play it safe. I want to have fun with PuG's, please, not help people farm the same quests for the 50 trillionth time.

They are changing xp on many quests check the lamania forums

Community Member

I have had exactly the opposite experience as you. I run almost all content rated 1-16 over a TR life and the last few lives, I've had full or near-full parties for rarely-run content like Sharn, Three-Barrel Cove, Threnal, the Isles flagging quests, and Necro 3. The funny thing is people will whine whine whine about them even in party ("oh I hate this protect the miners quest," "ah Coyle what an idiot"), but they stay in the party anyway from start to finish. I think I'm on Thelanis like you, though possibly a different time zone.

The trick I use is to post a long list of quests/chains and label the LFM "starting soon" while I restock my pots and scrolls, and then actually start once done. I feel this signals confidence that we'll complete without issues and that the group won't be dilly-dallying in a public instance instead of getting things done. Additionally, I'll start the "popular" quests first, and possibly the slower ones, to give the party time to build. Once people are in a group and seeing that it's running pretty efficiently, they're less likely to drop group for less-run content, especially if the plan is to do a large variety of content to rack up favour.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Community Member darkly_dreaming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    I really wish they'd rebalance XP from quests every couple updates, to keep things fresh on the PuG scene.

It's always the same bunch of quests that people are running. Constant VoN, Gianthold, Vale, Epic versions of old quests. Mostly TR's are the culprit here. They want to min/max for XP on the quests they learned years ago, so they can cheese it and avoid any challenges.

Well, I wish they'd kill the XP gains from these quests big time. Every day I try to open/join a PuG for a Chain or Quest that isn't so popular, with next to nobody joining it.
    -Underdark Content: Hard to fill a party, especially when for anything past the first chain.

I want Turbine to force TR's to the lesser ran quests by either granting much more XP in obscure quests, and/or vastly improving the loot gained from them.

Better yet, have a global ransack penalty integrated into DDO. The top 20 most frequently ran quests on a server have a -20%XP penalty. The bottom 20 least frequently ran quests on a server grant +20% XP. This updates automagically every week.

Revive content, stop letting TR's play it safe. I want to have fun with PuG's, please, not help people farm the same quests for the 50 trillionth time.
    i think you'll find that any non-zerg TR's actually play more content than other players. With bravery bonus, 1st time bonus from tome and quest completion it's better xp than farming one or two quests over and over. That said, you can't FORCE people to play content they just don't like. Even if they nerfed the xp down to 1/3 on some of the other quests you mentioned (Von3, Vale, Gianthold) I'd still run them over Threnal (hello Coyle), Restless Isles (bad map, long run, irritating to get to and from), Harbinger (creeps me the heck out, no thank you), or Wheloon (requires crossing over to Forgotten Realms, long run, annoying quests, shadowhaze thing).

And if you don't want to 'help people farm the same quests for the 50 trillionth time' then just don't join their groups. Run your own groups for the content you enjoy, and accept that other people may have their own reasons for avoiding it that has nothing with TR xp min/maxing.
    Goddess, you know it baybee!
    Zealotry ~ Zealot ~ Zeal ~ Chanteuse ~ Conceit : +5 to Sexterity, Cannith
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromuro View Post
    P.S: Besides Zealotry's voice is charming/mesmerizing and i bet she is a witch or a succubus disguised.

Community Member

Forcing people to run content they don't like but that you do is a very poor solution to any problem.

The zerg TRs could easily start a thread claiming the same sort of thing and insist that you be forced to run the content they like to farm.

That being said, I don't have any trouble getting people to quest with, and I predominantly PUG. The trick is to always run elite and make sure you post for levels that will give bravery bonus. If you ignore these two things, then your groups will struggle to get takers. Bottom line. Posting "starting soon" helps, too. And don't be afraid to start when you have 1 or 2 others and pop hires. If you try to wait to fill a group completely, then you'll probably get people leaving as fast as they come in because no one wants to wait. Most of the time, it's better to start shortman and let others trickle in than wait until you fill.

With current xp boosts from Tomes of Learning + pot.s and items I run every quest at level for bravery exactly 1 time. That's it! I am not working towards xp banking but still I am forced just because the 1st time xp is so much. The current curve flattening is fitting my playstyle totally.

Even the less popular quests are attractive with bravery.

And if you want to re-level your toon quickly just skip elite streak and go for hard streak. It is less xp. but faster and that may compensate elite xp/min. And it might be my next life's plan since elite traps hurt without evasion now.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

The Underdark and the Restless Isles have the same entry barrier, and it's not XP, it's their explorer zones. They're confusing and riddled with potential irritations. Threnal's entry barrier is the fact that it's a big long chain with annoying guard sequences that has to be played in order to generate rewards. Sharn Syndicate I often get a PuG for, but also I sometimes simply level past it before getting 'round it to, which is a different issue again - there's just a lot of content competing for your time in the limited period when you'll be below level 7. Harbinger of Madness I actually think is popular, so perhaps that's a difference in server culture or perception between us. You might be right with Wheloon heroic, but it is also new, features sections contained in a potentially confusing explorer zone, and is set in an area that you can't reach by ordinary means until higher levels.

Most of the chains that I think are genuinely ran infrequently because of XP are actually getting XP boosts in the next patch. Amrath, the level 19 Cannith quests, and the Reign of Madness chain all don't see as much play as I feel they deserve, and hopefully these alterations will improve that. I think Amrath has some other issues that puit people off, but I would hope and expect to see more Cannith and Reign of Madness play from a straight XP increase.

[QUOTE=TekkenDevil;5151639]-Sharn Chain: No takers.

QUOTE]

Sharn~ Solo Elite streak first time bonus oh yeah!
    Rentless Isle ~ too much explorer area not interested EVER!
    Threnal~ Solo chain on Elite for first time bonus great XP without a group I don't have to worry about Coyle dying because, I got his back.
    Wheloon heroic~ Lame XP not interested
    Underdark content~ not running in these levels currently but, when I was they were very popular on the LFM

I choose to solo most or all content it lets me go at my pace. No waiting No fuss

when I want company I run static with Guildies or friends.

why you want to force others to do what you want? You must be the life of the party IRL

instead of nerfing XP in good XP quests we need buffs to XP in poor XP quests

Those quests not only have good xp (well for a bravery streak run once), some also have valuable favor, and each of those packs has some items in it that are really quite amazing, and in some cases still best at what they do (looking at you restless isle's). Do you think it might not be the quests, but that no one wants to run quests with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Funny_looking_mole View Post
    Those quests not only have good xp (well for a bravery streak run once), some also have valuable favor, and each of those packs has some items in it that are really quite amazing, and in some cases still best at what they do (looking at you restless isle's). Do you think it might not be the quests, but that no one wants to run quests with you?
    Yeah, I'm sure I behave so badly in-game that all 16 of my toons on the server have been blacklisted by most of the population.
    I only act rude to players who are also rude to me or the party anyways. I do the complaining on the forums.

Thing is, I don't feel like I get my money's worth when I buy an expansion or adventure pack and 90% of the community is uninterested in playing it. It's the devs' job to solve this issue and attempt to force people to be evenly distributed throughout the entire content.
    Not being a fan of some content isn't a good excuse against this either, because most of this argument stems from it being too difficult for people without patience. And you shouldn't cite "boredom" either, because running Prison of Planes for the 6 trillionth time is the epitome of boredom in my book.

I mean seriously, Epic Gianthold?
    Is this Turbine's idea of replay value?
    I could practically call Gianthold runs "nap time", based on how much mental stimulation it offers at this point.
    You could make Reaver drop a rare +50 Czar Bomba Burst Greatsword item and I still wouldn't enjoy playing in there again.
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 10-30-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Your suggestion needs some more thought. The most run quests are (I believe) the F2P quests in Korthos and harbor. Reducing the exp for those quests seems to be quite counterproductive.

Thing is, I don't feel like I get my money's worth when I buy an expansion or adventure pack and 90% of the community is uninterested in playing it. It's the devs' job to solve this issue and attempt to force people to be evenly distributed throughout the entire content.
    Not being a fan of some content isn't a good excuse against this either
    Well, I don't feel I got my money's worth for Restless Isles, either Madness chain, Three Barrel Cove, the Druid chain, or the newest expansion. If there was a return option I would return that content because I don't enjoy it and don't play it.

Not being a fan of particular content is the best reason against it, as it is a game and games are for enjoyment. If I don't enjoy the content you can't FORCE me to play it. What you can do is make the gaming experience so unpleasant (like by trying to force me into content I don't like) that I take my money and go spend it somewhere else.

Also, it's Turbine's job to provide content that the majority (the 90% you talked about) enjoy, want to buy, and want to play. If 90% don't want to play particular content doesn't mean Turbine forces them to play it, it means they learn from what they did wrong and provide content that the playerbase DOES like. Great if you do like it, unfortunately you're in the minority.
    P.S: Besides Zealotry's voice is charming/mesmerizing and i bet she is a witch or a succubus disguised.

Here is my logically response for your post.

1. If XP is killed, Turbine will lose many subs and likely many players would abandon the game because it would appear as a de-evolution.

2. You said it right there. People aren’t joining because the quest is unpopular.

a. Sharn Quests: Because of the amount of low level quests in the game, often people have exceeded the lvl limits for Sharn. Would you want a lvl 9 running with your lvl 5?

b. Restless Isle: Zero interest probably because of the length of time involved in quest chain. Most, especially those who do not know the quest very well, do not want to or have the time to sink 2 hours into running to and from areas and quests. Especially considering the raid is somewhat broken at the moment.

c. Threnal: nice to run, but extremely difficult when done at lvl. Secondary issue: Coyle – need I say more.

d. Harbringer: A mix of free and P2P content. Some don’t want to run content that they have to pay for in
    order to get the second half. End of free chain is extremely difficult, resulting in failure for a large number of party groups. Can be demoralizing.

e. Wheloon Heroic – overpromoted and underwhelming rewards. Loot is generic same old same old as on Auction house for the most part, some quest reward items okay. But again you have lengthy run times to get from point A to point B for a mediocre quest/plot line. Thrill of the hunt – instant orange/red alert + ongoing dmg that cant be fixed. Nearly impossible with a really good group on Elite at level.

f. UnderDark Content: You said it best, hard to fill a party when it is any quest past the first chain. If you are not flagged for the next area why would you join a party for a quest you can’t do yet?

Turbine has already implemented a way to have ALL toons desire to run other quests – its called xp ransack now = -20% base xp for each concurrent run beyond the first. You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink.

You join the group, you make the decision to run with them or not. If you don’t like the group objectives then don’t join. Form your own party and go from there. You wont get a change just because of how you as an individual want the game to be.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

I t would be hard but I wish they'd just figure out the average time that it takes to complete each quest (including run to times) and base XP given on that. That way all the quests would have the same appeal theoretically. It looks like that is kinda what they're shooting for with some of the changes. From what I've seen they still aren't touching some stuff that is horrible XP per minute like 3BC and stuff that is insane XP per minute like the VON pack. And they seem to not take into account run times...quests like the subteranne raids need a substantial XP boost.

I guarantee to all of you that if these obscure quests had the best XP/loot gain in the game, while Gianthold/Vale had the lowest, you would all be running them instead of unsubbing.
    If you think your current preferences are dictated by how much you actually enjoy running content, then chances are that you're delusional.

If Vale never had crafting and offered Mediocre XP from the get-go, you all would just be playing Shavarath content 24/7 instead. Especially if that gained the crafting instead of Vale. And in that alternate reality you'd also be making posts about "It's because we don't like the quests, that's totally why".

The customer is rarely right, and I wish Turbine would stop deciding what content to enable for Epic based on what content is ran most on Heroic.
    If anything it should be the opposite. Sharn and 3BC should be the ones getting Epic levels.

Seriously, why is it necessary for Gianthold to take up TWO huge level ranges in an average player's farming list? Add 5 new quests and a new explorer at least if you're going to do that, I'm sick of running Tor because there's nothing else the community is interested in PuG-ing, as there's nothing else that offers the same amount of rewards.

Community Member

Restless Isles does have some of the best loot in the game (Royal Guard Mask, anyone?), and it's still horribly unpopular. Rewards count for a lot, but they're not the be-all and end-all, and there's a limit to how many different apples you can make look like the juiciest on the tree anyway.

I guarantee to all of you that if these obscure quests had the best XP/loot gain in the game, while Gianthold/Vale had the lowest, you would all be running them instead of unsubbing.

If you think your current preferences are dictated by how much you actually enjoy running content, then chances are that you're delusional.

If Vale never had crafting and offered Mediocre XP from the get-go, you all would just be playing Shavarath content 24/7 instead. Especially if that gained the crafting instead of Vale. And in that alternate reality you'd also be making posts about "It's because we don't like the quests, that's totally why".
    XP, ease of access, quest structure, optional objectives, crafting, and favor rewards are all things that weigh in on a player's decision to run content or not. You are actually making my point. Vale is great, people like it. It has a nice wilderness area that has a reasonable run time to quests, it has a good map, the xp is good, it's in a level range with a relatively limited number of quests available, it has a raid, it has crafting that allows for customizable items that are still, after years, valid even to end game. It's well constructed. It's what Turbine should be aiming for when it releases new content. It stands the test of time.

If vale had a horrible map (like Restless Isles), poor XP, no crafting, and no raid you're right - it would not be as popular because it would be poorly contrived. That doesn't mean nerf XP to nothing and kill crafting to force people to other content. It means look at what was done right and make the other lackluster content better and thus more attractive.

You are pushing for Turbine to take exactly the opposite course that they should be taking. Insert the old saying 'you get better results with a carrot than a stick'.