Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In a cozy little place just south of Hell

Default Dear Turbine, Thanks for trying on Mabar

Hello Turbine,

This is an honest thanks for putting out Mabar this year. I know some people hate, some people despise even hearing the name, but some of us really enjoy it. Yes, there is a ton of lag, which is no fun for anyone. Players hate it and you folks hate hearing about it. I mean, 19 out of 20 posts is how much Mabar sucks or it stinks or we couldn't complete or lost my key or we got defeated by the Lagon (my personal favourite).

That aside, some of us really enjoy the event. Something about running around in the grave yard killing stuff is fun to me. Last night, we had an awesome group of 12 of us and the count was 8900 til the doors open. We all stayed in the group and kept turning in and killing stuff (well, I was on my bard, so I could do songs and pike We just kept having fun and joking around and building rapport. No one was complaining about lag or this sucks or that sucks. Wait, the fvs was complaining about the barb always dying due to out of range but that's another story. Just 12 pep chilling out in a graveyard killing stuff, except the bard Bard buffs are on the house (inside joke) We all stayed until the doors opened which took awhile. Since it was late at night, it ended up being a short manned group lol. But we tried and we failed. Not to lag, just not enough pep in. But the best part is, no one complained. We just tried our best and laughed about it. So what if I didn't get a signet. So what if I lost a key. What we had was 12 people enjoying this game which you folks created.

So I just wanted to give a heart felt thanks for some of us who love Mabar and what it brings and I hope we don't have to wait for a year for it to come back.
    Mobility, proud leader of Bane on Thelanis ~ I am either loved or hated, there is no in between. (Self declared Ultimate Piker, though I now give my crown to Ranit. He has guildies log his toons and play his toons for him. Getting xp and not even playing the game? He wins)

Quote Originally Posted by HackSlashKill View Post
    Hello Turbine,

This is an honest thanks for putting out Mabar this year. I know some people hate, some people despise even hearing the name, but some of us really enjoy it. Yes, there is a ton of lag, which is no fun for anyone. Players hate it and you folks hate hearing about it. I mean, 19 out of 20 posts is how much Mabar sucks or it stinks or we couldn't complete or lost my key or we got defeated by the Lagon (my personal favourite).

That aside, some of us really enjoy the event. Something about running around in the grave yard killing stuff is fun to me. Last night, we had an awesome group of 12 of us and the count was 8900 til the doors open. We all stayed in the group and kept turning in and killing stuff (well, I was on my bard, so I could do songs and pike We just kept having fun and joking around and building rapport. No one was complaining about lag or this sucks or that sucks. Wait, the fvs was complaining about the barb always dying due to out of range but that's another story. Just 12 pep chilling out in a graveyard killing stuff, except the bard Bard buffs are on the house (inside joke) We all stayed until the doors opened which took awhile. Since it was late at night, it ended up being a short manned group lol. But we tried and we failed. Not to lag, just not enough pep in. But the best part is, no one complained. We just tried our best and laughed about it. So what if I didn't get a signet. So what if I lost a key. What we had was 12 people enjoying this game which you folks created.

So I just wanted to give a heart felt thanks for some of us who love Mabar and what it brings and I hope we don't have to wait for a year for it to come back.
    Ditto. At least they fixed the "creature is too low level" problem!
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Community Member

Default Thanks

I had fun this year, liked the improvements, and am sad to see it go early even with the at times painful lag. I had some failures, not enough people, lagggg, but overall still a good time. One time the group I was in beat it even with crippling move once every few seconds lag and another group beat it with less than 16 though not sure how many were in there as we were communicating with chat so those were some awesome moments too. Thanks again and look forward to it returning whenever you guys slay the lag beast on your end! Happy hunting!

Community Member

im really puzzled.
    So many good ideas and improvement wasted by development problems..lags or whatever.
    Im a developer and felt ashamed for them..really, having to anticipate the event expiring date its a big 'Sorry, we fail... again...' to all their customers.

DDO has taken the right way, some recent develop decision are really good... enhancement revamp, TR revamp, cap at 30 and then endgame content, events, more feedback from the players and so on... all the problems now seem to lie in their application.

The level of bugs or fails its simply too big to be *normal*

1- Team of developer is lacking manpower?
    2- DDO is an old and buggy system, difficult to redo and hard to revamp (some early develop decision in DDO life are turned out to be poor)
    3- skill of the team is inadeguate

dunno, but definetely there is something wrong...hope they fix their internal problems soon, DDO has still a lot of potenzial and at least to me enourmos appeal.

I'm on the same side as you. Even had a ready level 11 turn undead build cleric for it. Got my +5 tome, hopefully will get my endless night augments too. I am always happy to see events

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Njohrd View Post

1- Team of developer is lacking manpower?
    2- DDO is an old and buggy system, difficult to redo and hard to revamp (some early develop decision in DDO life are turned out to be poor)
    3- skill of the team is inadeguate
    1 - It seems.
    2 - Yes. That has been stated by a producer.
    3 - In general, yes, it has been proved to us quite a few times.
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Agreed.

I genuinely enjoy the event. I totally enjoy Halloween, decorating the house and dressing up with the kids... It's nice to get the Halloween spirit going in the game too. I dig the whole "spookyness" of the graveyard during Mabar. I get my hack & slash fix just rampaging through endlessly spawning mobs. I like the groups that form up for farming, usually a few dedicated who stay from Dragon to Dragon, with others that come and go - it's a cool social mixer. The loot is truly some of the most unique in the game, and this year there's all new goodies! Lovin' the augments and festival solar.

Thanx for putting it on, knowing those wheels out there are just dying to squeak about it. Do remember at least some of us appreciate it!
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I skipped out on mabar last year because of several reasons. This year I had/ will continue to have fun with this event. I get home from work, log in I have a group of people I group with and we run mabar and joke and have a good time.

Good job Turbine, and thanks for looking into the lag issues too. A possible solution could be to simply stagger the opening of the dragon. The lower level instances open first, then 5 minutes later the mid levels, then 5 minutes later high level and 5 minutes later epic levels. Yes the higher level people will wait longer, but the lower levels should complete the dragon faster so by the time the epic levels get in it is mostly cleared out.

Just a thought.

Its an excellent event and the only real issue is the laggy dragon fight. Id just make it one big room, step in and 12 people kill a badass dragon....kinda like von6.

I think with the gargoyles removed and the party being together (to prevent dc/connection issues like in The Big Top), it might fix this issue

Quote Originally Posted by HackSlashKill View Post
    This is an honest thanks for putting out Mabar this year. I know some people hate, some people despise even hearing the name, but some of us really enjoy it.
    Nice to know some people are willing to live with the developers putting almost no effort into their game. This event needs to be replaced with something different. Perhaps a bit closer to Kobold Assault or the challenges as they currently exist. Not as a public instance where you wait for a handful of undead to spawn only for them to be sniped by a random caster who is running around in a loop.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual.0 View Post
    Good job Turbine, and thanks for looking into the lag issues too. A possible solution could be to simply stagger the opening of the dragon. The lower level instances open first, then 5 minutes later the mid levels, then 5 minutes later high level and 5 minutes later epic levels. Yes the higher level people will wait longer, but the lower levels should complete the dragon faster so by the time the epic levels get in it is mostly cleared out.

Just a thought.
    That's a pretty excellent solution... I've had fun in Mabar too, although I've only done 1 dragon run so far (I didn't play over the weekend, because I was TRing)... No lag, got my 1st signet
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Agreed. Thanks guys My 3rd Mabar. Best one for actual gameplay. Lag aside, best fixes in this one to date.

BTW FR could use an event

/signed

Although the lag can be very frustrating, I'm a very big fan of the system itself.

Hopefully, the issues will be ironed out and people will be happier when it comes back, whenever that may be.
    Cannith: Capricorpus (triple all heroic/iconic/epic past lives, no stones) / Capiorcorpus / Capicorpus / Capricopus / Iconless the Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Nice to know some people are willing to live with the developers putting almost no effort into their game.
    With all respect, I very much doubt you know how much effort they did or did not put into Mabar. It's in the best interest of the developers to ensure that everything runs smoothly, and if it doesn't, it probably wasn't because they were browsing the internet for cat videos instead of working on the game.
    Cannith: Capricorpus (triple all heroic/iconic/epic past lives, no stones) / Capiorcorpus / Capicorpus / Capricopus / Iconless the Hero

In a cozy little place just south of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Agreed.

I genuinely enjoy the event. I totally enjoy Halloween, decorating the house and dressing up with the kids... It's nice to get the Halloween spirit going in the game too. I dig the whole "spookyness" of the graveyard during Mabar. I get my hack & slash fix just rampaging through endlessly spawning mobs. I like the groups that form up for farming, usually a few dedicated who stay from Dragon to Dragon, with others that come and go - it's a cool social mixer. The loot is truly some of the most unique in the game, and this year there's all new goodies! Lovin' the augments and festival solar.

Thanx for putting it on, knowing those wheels out there are just dying to squeak about it. Do remember at least some of us appreciate it!
    My favorite time of the year. In fact, I got married 11 years ago around this time (oct 26) and we had a formal wedding, and the reception was a costume party. I cut my wedding cake dressed as Spider-man (well, some people would say a retired spider-man. hey, spandex is not nice to anyone) My best man dressed up as a battle cleric from our D&D games
    Mobility, proud leader of Bane on Thelanis ~ I am either loved or hated, there is no in between. (Self declared Ultimate Piker, though I now give my crown to Ranit. He has guildies log his toons and play his toons for him. Getting xp and not even playing the game? He wins)

Default uh no.

6 year old event with this much fail, sorry but no one should be thanking the devs for anything. They know it. T
    On Khyber: Tchpostick (Monk 20) Tablespoon (WF barb20), Pspoon (Eleven Cleric20), Tsirio (Halfling Bard18), Silvr (Human Rogue2/Wizard18), Ladle (Elven Cleric11), Forq (Human Bard14), Sporkk (Human Fighter lvl20), Tspatula (monk20)

Quote Originally Posted by TBot1234 View Post
    Ditto. At least they fixed the "creature is too low level" problem!
    Regardless of whatever issues Mabar has this year, removing "too weak to give rewards" was a wonderful change.

Yea thx. it was cool and got a couple +5 out of it so far. Hopefully get a few more. Please keep it open through the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Community Member

Thank you dev team. The lag was bad and even unplayable at times, but the dragon fights I was in had close to a 90% success rate.

I like the idea of having a +5 tome available at a festival instead of only making the best things available in high level EE quests. This brought many casual players to the event.

The lag was noticeably better starting on Monday which I think has to do with many people getting their +5 tomes and moving on.

My only suggestion: please make level 28 gear available next time. I would like to upgrade my robe of shadow.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Regardless of whatever issues Mabar has this year, removing "too weak to give rewards" was a wonderful change.
    +1

Stoner81.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast