Default Concentration Bugged? (Big images sorry)

So since one of the last updates (either U20 or later), I noticed a pretty big increase in failed Concentration checks.

I first noticed it when I TR'd my my Cleric into a Wizard. Of course I assumed it was simply because I was now a low lever character again, so I just ignored it and decided to deal with it.

I decided to take a little break with my new TR, and go back to my lvl 22 PM Wizard. I did some quick farming for Tokens, and got enough XP to get to lvl 23, so I leveled up. This was a day or so before Mabar hit. This is when I started noticing a problem with my spells not firing off, on a very random basis. I figured, I just mis-clicked or something, so again, I ignored it. Then I went into Delera's Graveyard for Mabar.

Like I've said, I haven't had this issue before. At lower levels, I'd occasionally have a spell fail (as expected), but never to this degree. Not having recorded any data, it now appears that 1 out of 10 spells fail. It is entirely possible that I just don't understand how a Concentration check works, since I've never had to deal with it as an issue before. My Concentration is at 49 (including +15 Concentration item) and 53 when using Greater Heroism. These are some screen captures of what I've been seeing.

But, then I saw something that doesn't make sense to me either:

20+53 is less then the 120 damage you took, ergo concentration failed

1+49 is more then the 28 damage you took, ergo concentration succeeded

knowing how a skill works is awesome

Apparently Concentration is one of those skills that doesn't critically fail.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Quote Originally Posted by hucka View Post
    20+53 is less then the 120 damage you took, ergo concentration failed

1+49 is more then the 28 damage you took, ergo concentration succeeded

Ohhhhh, gotcha. Thank you very much for that insight. I guess that does make sense.

Seems weird that I've never noticed it failing before though. Other than on a very rare occasion, I play entirely solo. So I'm the only one taking damage. Guess I'll have to pay more attention from now on. Thanks again.

The most important feature of the quicken metamagic feat is that it allows you to never fail a concentration check. The fact that you also cast faster is an added bonus...
    Failing to cast happens a lot, especially at high level, because the skill hasn't scaled well compared to incomming damage.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by hucka View Post
    20+53 is less than the 120 damage you took, ergo concentration failed

1+49 is more than the 28 damage you took, ergo concentration succeeded

Ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Apparently Concentration is one of those skills that doesn't critically fail.
    Actually in 3.5 skill don't critically fail (not sure if any do in DDO). From the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm

" To make a skill check, roll 1d20 and add your character’s skill modifier for that skill. The skill modifier incorporates the character’s ranks in that skill and the ability modifier for that skill’s key ability, plus any other miscellaneous modifiers that may apply, including racial bonuses and armor check penalties. The higher the result, the better. Unlike with attack rolls and saving throws, a natural roll of 20 on the d20 is not an automatic success, and a natural roll of 1 is not an automatic failure. "

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    The most important feature of the quicken metamagic feat is that it allows you to never fail a concentration check. The fact that you also cast faster is an added bonus...
    Failing to cast happens a lot, especially at high level, because the skill hasn't scaled well compared to incomming damage.
    You've mis-spelled "doesn't scale at all".
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    The most important feature of the quicken metamagic feat is that it allows you to never fail a concentration check.
    Not true. It has no effect on succeeding or failing Concentration checks. Casting a spell with Quicken means you don't need to make a Concentration check at all for that spell, which is not the same thing.

Being damaged while using a scroll, for instance, still takes a Concentration check.

Community Member

same as umd 40 umd roll 1 to use a blur, succeed