Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbed_Servant View Post
    Might you all think about bringing the Mabar event back for the USA Thanksgiving Day weekend? If I'm not mistaken, we have much fewer people playing over this weekend (a lot of people travel or have guests) so the server load and Mabar load would be lighter, and maybe the event would run a bit better for those still seeking items and willing to play on this holiday?
    Sorry, but I would not expect Mabar to return this year.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Faltout View Post
    We weren't saying plainly "no to AoEs". We said "No AoEs with duration". Which included firewall, clouds, dancing ball, Blade Barrier. Those were the ones that we suspected they crippled the servers. Everyone was using instant damage AOEs, like sunburst, fireball, cometfall, cone of ice...I feel sad that many people did not learn the rules throught the duration of Mabar.Last run today on Khyber (level 20-25) and I had the most horrible teammate in my altar.1. We were less than 16, so we were taking our time carefully planning who would shortman the altar. I was in the altar alone (fighter - counting on my intimidate and healing pots) waiting for another altar to sort itself. When the message for 1 minute till doors close came, a sorcered came in the altar and activated it (was the last altar remaining). Dragon came immediately while the other altar was still with no people.I asked "why did you do that" to get the usual reply: "Less than 1 minute". I responded "There's less than 1 minute for people to get in, not to activate altars. We have 30 minutes for that", but it was already too late.2. When gargoyles came, he threw 2 disco balls on the altar and to kill the gargoyles he used 2 spells. Why didn't he throw the 2 spells before the gargoyles came to altar, but instead he waited for them to start dancing, I'll never know. I guess you HAVE TO throw a disco ball no matter how powerful you are. Of course, as soon as AOEs went off, lag begun to hit. The people from the other altar started to say "SE altar needs help, lag."3. While we were fighting those gargoyles hoping for the best for the other altar, he said "no light in the room". I responded "Because the dragon is not in our room to need light". Which made me think that when he was at levers in previous runs, he spammed the lever on triggering a ton of spawns (which would hit his disco ball of course). Having the lever on keeps spawning gargoyles. So the tactic would be to let the gargoyles throw off lever when dragon leaves the room. I consider this to cause even more lag than AOEs.So, imagine a couple of those people doing their thing. Even if you don't use, or don't see anyone doing anything wrong, there could be someone doing it where you don't see it. So, reports of AoEs or not with or without lag lack facts. Even if you don't believe the above can cause lag, your responce should not be: "I squelch the lag maniacs", "I use Blade Barrier, get over it", "I'm eating cookies right now".
    The fact jack, is if you can't use any of those things there is something seriously wrong with the whole shebang. It simply needs to be changed/fixed, these "rules" are simply us trying to enable their poor setup. We are enablers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Well thats a shame as this was the first week I would had had time to play and I was looking forward to playing it. Well maybe next year...

Were you able to identify specific problems that might allow you to repair and have Mabar available for next year? A little explanation to satisfy our curiosity would be much appreciated.
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    The fact jack, is if you can't use any of those things there is something seriously wrong with the whole shebang. It simply needs to be changed/fixed, these "rules" are simply us trying to enable their poor setup. We are enablers.
    The problem is on both sides.

Devs: I don't know what exactly is the cause of the lag, or how exactly they are dividing calculation load. There seems to be a problem with the amount of spawns or the number of players in the instance or the number of players in general or the number of actions made or with all of them combined. If the problem is not one of the above, then they CAN fix it, because it means the problem is something stupid like kobolds having too much aggro on box and such. But if it is something of the above then either you find a more efficient engine (which will be never enough - you would always like faster internet, faster CPU, more memory but not all that is possible with the current technology), or you need to rethink the mechanics. So in order to fix it, they would cut the number of players to 12, reduce the number of spawns, make the spawns plain stupid and such. Which would be simply deleting the event and the idea.

Players: They know that something is wrong and do nothing about it, even though they can. Even worse than the developers not being able to find a fix. You don't need the devs babysitting you by preventing you from clicking the wrong button, aggroing too many mobs, saving the game for you in case you hit the restart button on your computer, giving you the items you want because you said so.
    Yes, you can screw up anything if you try. Tell the people responcible for the thing you screwed up what you did and try not to screw up again.

Community Member

Default Needs reworked

I am a little dissapointed it is going down, well mainly for the missing of the +5 tomes I was going to try to get. Though I do agree it needs to be reworked. The lag is on occasion just to much to do anything with. Should also think on reworking the loot adding new things and maybe making some of the other higher level items worth getting. I mean put some augments in them change some of the stats...something. My biggest issue is with the robe at the moment. The robe and docent from 20 to 24 don't gain enough to make it worth dropping other gear that have picked up. I mean a +1 to the dc of necro is nice, a small boost in neg spell power, but then you leave boon of undead to just cast inflict light wounds. I mean come on. look at the mournlord plate from canith. By 16th lvl they are casting heal. At what point will the robe docent get to cast harm?? Just a thought. I do agree with the other person who stated that other classes get little to nothing from the event, which is true. So my point is if your going to end it early and rework it make it something worth getting excited for next year and make sure that you don't have to take it back down after a few days. Thanks

Would you be able to at least turn on the hand-in spots (signets, motes, scales, etc) for an extra day, so we can finish spending mats we have collected? I recall the risia altar was previously left on for a while after the rest of the event was turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by xberto View Post
    Were you able to identify specific problems that might allow you to repair and have Mabar available for next year? A little explanation to satisfy our curiosity would be much appreciated.
    Yes, we've identified several problems, and have begun investigations into the best way to resolve them. However, that work must be balanced with our efforts to get Update 20 out the door, in addition to other priorities, so we expect the development work on Mabar to take place over a longer period of time. I don't want to commit to a "when" on Mabar's return, but it's not gone for good.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Yes, we've identified several problems, and have begun investigations into the best way to resolve them. However, that work must be balanced with our efforts to get Update 20 out the door, in addition to other priorities, so we expect the development work on Mabar to take place over a longer period of time. I don't want to commit to a "when" on Mabar's return, but it's not gone for good.
    Glad to hear it'll be back. I wandered the explorer zone last night for a last look in case...that was IT!

Community Member

Yes, this is one of the key driving reasons for ending Mabar after today, rather than, say, extending it through the weekend. We understand that there are some folks who would really love the weekend to get their Mabar stuff done, but the performance issues impacting Mabar do have an effect on other parts of the game. That said, we still wanted to give people at least a few more days following our initial announcement so folks who were motivated could finish up their efforts for the year.
    Thank you for this excellent explanation. There's been a lot of tin foil hat wearing going on and this post was very important in (hopefully) dispelling a lot of that stuff.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Unhappy The problem was not the lag, the delusion was in the organization

I don’t usually write on forums, but I think I’ve something to say today. I hope someone could get something good from this for future.

I want to say that I am generally very happy with the game, its structure and mechanics, I didn’t meet many bugs and my daily experience is satisfactory. Not this time.

My complaints are not on a technical aspect.
    I understand that some issues can be unexpected and require time and resources to be fixed.
    I’m very deluded by the organization of the festival, which I can only classify as childish. I don’t want to call it disrespectful of the users, but it’s a thin line.
    A few ‘zero cost’ decisions could have made the game enjoyable also with the technical issues that someone pointed out.

- I don’t know why the management took the decision to shut down everything in advance, but the official explanation has been the ‘lag’. Because of this many players could not complete the dragon room and wasted their time, so to avoid this, the time of much more has been wasted. It’s an illogical decision. To give more chances (shutting it later or letting it be as it was programmed) could have made happy more users since it was not a problem that happened every time. I could collect something good myself. So the chance was there.
    - On the forum the news of the change has not been updated everywhere. Many still knew only of the first programmed date and organized themselves to it.
    - The shut down has been abrupt. At least a time counter, an advice, something that could make generally known the close end would have helped to not make a waste of all the collected motes. It took hours of game to get many. All wasted. Time belongs to the player, not to the management. Closing the event without leaving the chance to exchange the gained collectibles is frustrating.

I want to give the right balance to all this. It’s a game, not a matter of life and death, but since it’s a game, it should be fun. To be treated like this, without consideration of ones time and money is not fun.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anaisile View Post
    I want to give the right balance to all this. It’s a game, not a matter of life and death, but since it’s a game, it should be fun. To be treated like this, without consideration of ones time and money is not fun.[/COLOR]
    For us it is a game.

For them it is their lively hood. The problem is their managers do not have the psychological understanding of how to better hedge monetary profits vs gamers.

They used to have a developer, J. W. Berry, (he jumped to lotro a long time back. not certain if he is still there or not.) who's degree was in psychology. However, given what his field of study was.... You do not want him giving managers ideas.

Very Good. Thanks. As, I'm storing the Halloween Decor at home for next year, I'll do the same in game with extra motes, keys, etc.. Bring on U20!!
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Thumbs up

Yes, this is one of the key driving reasons for ending Mabar after today, rather than, say, extending it through the weekend. We understand that there are some folks who would really love the weekend to get their Mabar stuff done, but the performance issues impacting Mabar do have an effect on other parts of the game. That said, we still wanted to give people at least a few more days following our initial announcement so folks who were motivated could finish up their efforts for the year.
    I for one appreciate you keeping it open through Halloween and understand why you had to shut it down. Thanks for the opportunity.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anaisile View Post

- The shut down has been abrupt. At least a time counter, an advice, something that could make generally known the close end would have helped to not make a waste of all the collected motes. It took hours of game to get many. All wasted. Time belongs to the player, not to the management. Closing the
    This is a great idea. Having some kind of global announcement to say when events like Risia, Mabar, Festivult, Traveler, etc will begin and end (world announcements, etc) would make live more pleasant and predictable for people in the game. It's not going to make or break anything major, but it is a nice "quality of life" change that should be pretty simple to implement as long as someone remembers to do it.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Here's a thought, add the sigil turn in stuff to something you can get for Valor.

Community Member

Unhappy Sad to see it end

Sad to see Mabar ended early. I had a blast as usual. I played mostly in the level 12-17 area and a few times in level 16-20. Up until last night, I experienced no lag. It was there last night in a few spots. I was able to run the dragon twice in level 12-17. No lag and I got 2 signets.

My only complaints about Mabar this year is the invisible vampires. I enjoy killing vamps but it is no fun having to chase them down just to figure out where they are. I also noticed there was less spawn in the main cemetery area than there was in past years. Could be my imagination too.

A suggestion for a tweak:

Instead of offering only +5 for level 19 and above, why not offer +2 or +3 tomes for lower levels?

All in all, Mabar was as much fun as always and I look forward to it again. And as soon as possible.

Community Member

Smile Communication is what I perceive lacking the most

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    This is a great idea. Having some kind of global announcement to say when events like Risia, Mabar, Festivult, Traveler, etc will begin and end (world announcements, etc) would make live more pleasant and predictable for people in the game. It's not going to make or break anything major, but it is a nice "quality of life" change that should be pretty simple to implement as long as someone remembers to do it.
    Today as Mabar is closing I have been trying to connect like 10 times, nothing is wrong with my computer, the client just freezes when my character is loaded and I can do nothing else but close the program and restart. This has never happened to me. There seems to be huge time response problems on the Sarlona server. During my last attempt, before freezing I had time to see that the server is brought down for maintenance in a short while.

Why today is there no announcement on the entry DDO screen of the issues faced and the last minute maintenance to servers.
    Communication please, communication is all about holding the respect of every body. Having problems to solve is only a fact of life. The more problems you face the more communication should be strengthened.

I have a lot of respect for the developer and support teams and I enjoy this game.
    Thanks all and see you in the game.

OPJ
    Last edited by OPJvid; 11-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Number of successful runs:

3 on a level 7 (+5 tome)
    4 on a level 12 (2 rubies of Endless Night)
    2 on a level 17 (1 ruby of Endless Night)
    6 on a level 22 (+5 tome, 1 ruby, 1 Festivult Solar)

Unfortunately I did not keep track of failed runs. Level 17 toon made only two attempts, both successful; I think the other three had at least 2 failures each. By "failures" I mean dragon escaping -- I never failed to get a Signet on a successful completion, nor seen the counter reset to 10,000 immediately upon reaching 0. However, after one successful run (on a level 12 I think) I exited the Chamber and saw a rash of complaints on general chat about people not getting the Signet. Quick check of "Who" panel showed all complainers were in a different level range than me. Apparently when that particular bug strikes, it strikes everyone within given instance.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

I hobbled on through and got pretty much everything that I needed or wanted. Folk who say they didn't know it was ending

Closing the event without leaving the chance to exchange the gained collectibles is frustrating.
    are just talking nonsense:

Six hours prior to ending the Mote price was creeping up. Three hours before ending and it went exponential. I was selling batches of 1000 like hotcakes.

Being the kind Drow that I am, I stayed up all through the bright sunlight hours with my Drow Smoke Goggles on to farm lots and lots of Motes

It was Seller Heaven

Engineer: The glass is the wrong size.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast