Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Uses for mabar augments/festival light?

First of all, I have to say that despite facing some lag, Ive succeeded in all (6) my spectral dragon runs so far, getting +5 tomes on my two main chars. Now Im considering if I want more runs to get some augments or festival light damage. But what would they be good for?

Festival light damage: less damage than festival frost or icy burst, but works on my tidal longsword of lacerating, and maybe some low lvl skellie beaters. Any better ideas?

Vampire Bane: DR breaker with some extra damage, is there any low lvl red slot weapon thats really worth it? Would have been great for making harry beaters but who needs these nowadays? Nice vs werewolves, though... My Jugg uses antique, are there any handwraps that are worth slotting with this?

Ghostbane: Not really worth it imho, you dont need it too often and later on you have other options for ghost touch/ghostly. Does this stack with crafted undead bane? Id think not...

Level drain: Interesting, but not really sure where to slot this, my clonk uses grave wrappings which drain 1d3 levels, and on an Antique Greataxe I might prefer the spellpower. Probably good for handwraps or TWF chars. Does this work on bows? Might be interesting for repeaters or manyshot. Any good bows with red augments out there?
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Quote Originally Posted by Makkuroi View Post
    Level drain: Interesting, but not really sure where to slot this, my clonk uses grave wrappings which drain 1d3 levels, and on an Antique Greataxe I might prefer the spellpower. Probably good for handwraps or TWF chars. Does this work on bows? Might be interesting for repeaters or manyshot. Any good bows with red augments out there?
    Level drain on a weapon on Epic mobs is insane from what I have read and the math supports it . If it works on Bows/Repeaters I suspect we will see more NPC's immune to level drain in updated patches which will have the side effect of putting PM's on the offensive curse charts. I second this that it probably is best on TWF or high double attack builds.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Festival light damage: less damage than festival frost or icy burst, but works on my tidal longsword of lacerating, and maybe some low lvl skellie beaters. Any better ideas?
    Not as powerful as the risia ones, but works on virtually anything...personally i'd either throw it on a nice lowbie twinky weapon, or maximise the dps potential on a good top-level lootgen thing rather than anything in between.

Vampire Bane: DR breaker with some extra damage, is there any low lvl red slot weapon thats really worth it? Would have been great for making harry beaters but who needs these nowadays? Nice vs werewolves, though... My Jugg uses antique, are there any handwraps that are worth slotting with this?
    I have an epic templar's justice that i use as a generalised devil/demon beater, could be a good place for it to give a little extra light damage. Upgraded antipode if you don't have the core shintao enhancement would be a good bet handwraps-wise, or again if you find a nice lootgen set with a red slot.

Ghostbane: Not really worth it imho, you dont need it too often and later on you have other options for ghost touch/ghostly. Does this stack with crafted undead bane? Id think not...
    Pretty much agree with this, ghostbane is such a common suffix at the moment...still, could be useful on a slotted disrupter.

Upgraded pinion, or needle/epic doublecross for repeaters could be a great bet for ranged people. . Since it's a different named effect, could throw it on Nightmare & then on a crit you'd have the usual chance of a neg, plus a guaranteed one on vorpal meaning you could get up to 4 levels drained at once if you're lucky. Basically just whichever weapon you use a lot, though naturally as you said, handwraps or for 2wf characters the higher attack rate would make it pay off more often.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Default On my twink to-do list:

Silver Bow (already Holy) definitely gets Vampire Slayer

Star of Irian (already Holy)+Vampire Slayer+Ghost Bane Rubies (Possibly x2, time permitting)
    •Ultimate lowby/TR undead beater & DR breaker for @level Chronos (yes, they do happen!)

Have both a long sword & long bow: min lvl 26 Holy of Disruption. Thinking I'll add Festival Solar and Vampire Slayer to both.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 10-28-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Level drain on a weapon on Epic mobs is insane from what I have read and the math supports it .
    How? I would think the opposite -- epic mobs have more levels, so removing a level should have a proportionally smaller effect than on heroic mobs.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    How? I would think the opposite -- epic mobs have more levels, so removing a level should have a proportionally smaller effect than on heroic mobs.
    they have lot more hit points than levels not mentioning it degrades mobs

Community Member

http://ddowiki.com/page/Negative_level
    Negative levels also affect maximum hit points. For monsters, each negative level reduces hit points by 10 %.
    Six or seven negative levels will cut an enemy's hit points in half. A quick energy drain/enervation double tap can bring a 50,000 hp enemy down to a much more manageable ~23,000 hp, and even just landing one negative level at the start is 5,000 damage.

Note that the reduction is only to maximum hp, however, and won't help you if the monster's current hp is below its new maximum. But if it had 50,000 and then had the maximum reduced to 23,000, the current hp would be 23,000/23,000 (not 50,000/23,000). And when the negative levels wear off, it'll be at 23,000/50,000.

If you have any monster manual unlocks, you can watch mob hp change when you hit them with negative level effects. It's worth seeing for yourself.

I want my antipodes to go WOOO WOOOO WOOOOWOOOO WOOOO
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

the level drain looks pretty good, I was considering putting it on the epic antique that my battle cleric uses.

Are red-named affected by negative levels?

Community Member

Here's the problem with the augment for melee's, not sure if it works with repeaters or whatever, but If you don't get the negative level on the first 3 swings it isn't doing a damn thing. Negative level just gets rid of maximum hit points so with a 5% proc rate and character that does decent damage, its a wasted augment. (unless going into a nightmare) Only even remotely helpful on orange names and even than its easier to use a neg level scroll to get hp's down faster unless they have sr which most don't.
    Last edited by moo_cow; 10-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Community Member

How? I would think the opposite -- epic mobs have more levels, so removing a level should have a proportionally smaller effect than on heroic
    mobs.
    Think harder.

I have a toon that regularly uses the sacrificial dagger - its sweet.
    Wherever you went - here you are.

Assuming the red-named are not affected by negative levels...

For my third-life ranger 22 (about one epic quest from 23): One level-draining augment into EN Allegiance to make Underdark/Sschindrylyn/Demonweb quests easier, and another into EE Tortured Livewood Bow when she gets to level 25.

One augment for my bard's Epic Elyd Edge; now it has something worthless -- d6 acid I think.

For my second-life artificer with heavy pick proficiency (don't ask) stuck on level 12 -- one augment into Deathnip.

If I manage to get 5 augments before Mabar closes, save one in case I have a fully upgraded Pinion some day -- but both are unlikely.

The ghostbane will be welcome on a shocking burst quarterstaff of righteous.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

These Augments will be the new go to currency since there are no real rare things anymore! Be prepared to sell me your first born for one when mabar ends! lol

I tried the negative level one on my bards antique greataxe. Is pretty cool! Hope to see some more augments implemented in game like this. So far this seems to be the most exciting augment to date! I hope they add in vorpal augments effects for the other fests as well.

My biggest concern is , I hope they do not nerf the neg level augment in next update to be a chance on vorpal. That will suck for anyone who ground one out!
    Born to play, Forced to work !

Default Elemental Khopesh of Water

The Cannith Elemental Khopesh of Water has Improved Paralyzing, Freezing ice, and Slow burst. All of which require saves to resist. Put the Rubies of Endless night in these babies and each negative level give them -2 to the mobs save. Will definitely give new life to an otherwise "ok" Khopesh.

Community Member

The Ruby of the Vampire Slayer is rather awesome, as the standard version of the silver augment is minimum level 16 and light damage is both not commonly resisted, and common as a vulnerability in certain swathes of content. I put mine in my Twinblade, with a ruby of good in the other slot.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post

Since it's a different named effect, could throw it on Nightmare & then on a crit you'd have the usual chance of a neg, plus a guaranteed one on vorpal meaning you could get up to 4 levels drained at once if you're lucky. Basically just whichever weapon you use a lot, though naturally as you said, handwraps or for 2wf characters the higher attack rate would make it pay off more often.
    Question about this: did anyone actually test if those 2 stack?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Not as powerful as the risia ones, but works on virtually anything...personally i'd either throw it on a nice lowbie twinky weapon, or maximise the dps potential on a good top-level lootgen thing rather than anything in between.
    My thinking is that risia is better for lowbie twink, mabar is better for endgame if you're using a lootgen weapon at endgame for whatever reason.

Not much resists cold (or any energy) at low levels so you get the full impact of festival frost/icy burst. At endgame there's lots of energy resistance, so switch to the more modest but reliable light damage.

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    Here's the problem with the augment for melee's, not sure if it works with repeaters or whatever, but If you don't get the negative level on the first 3 swings it isn't doing a damn thing.
    Plus, on EH or EE they'll regenerate the lost negative level before you can stack a second one on them.

I use the level drain in a repeater,getting the augment is easier than finding a repeater with an augment slot though.Look at the AH and see the most expensive repeater is usually one with a augment slot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast