Community Member

Default Best Weapons to TWF with?(among other things)

I've been trying to figure what weapons I should aim for in order to maximize dps as a twf, and so far I've come with with, using pure fighter/LD(I know that a multiclass build with monk for Earth III can result in higher crit/survivability/self healing, but I'm thinking of going pure fighter for the capstone, unless a monk/ranger/??? build proves to be better. Probably, due to more self heals and such.... but eh):
    First Blood for double strike- could get crit to 4x with feats/LD
    Axe of Adaxus for x4 crit- can improve to 19-20 and x7 with feats/LD
    Balizarde- 15-18 x3 19-20 x5

I don't have exact specifics for the build I'm planning, but essentially it's a pure fighter LD that uses axes for the +1 crit multiplier from the last tier, and the Kensei capstone. Stuck with half elf for now, for sneak attack, but I think dwarf axe damage might be more useful in the long run, especially for enemies immune to sneak attacks.
    Would there be any other weapons that would provide similar levels of dps if used properly?
    Also, what multiclass combos would be great for twf?
    I've looked around, and I see Monk for Earth III being popular, along with ranger.
    Would Monk 6 Ranger 6 Fighter 8(Not sure where the last 2 levels would go but eh, more feats)be a good combo, for Earth III, Tempest, and Kensei, or would 6 monk 12 fighter + 2(not sure) be better for the psionic strength bonus from the Kensei tree?
    Anyway, I'm not asking for detailed builds for anything, though that would be nice, but instead for tips.
    Third life and I still haven't figured out what would I would prefer... heh...
    The Abomination build seems the most promising to me, though... can't focus on pure dps... can't go pure glass cannon in a game where it's so easy to die in melee range if you're not careful.

...Actually, I could accomplish x8 with Adaxus/x6 with Balizarde if I go Earth III.... But would that be better than pure Fighter for the Kensei capstone? ...Hm, then again, self heals and survivability are good too...
    Thanks.

Lastly... should I have posted this to the multiclass section?
    Last edited by Kingault; 10-27-2013 at 10:54 PM.

celestia x 2 + sneak damge = win

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arianka View Post
    celestia x 2 + sneak damge = win
    Huh, forgot that weapon existed...
    Didn't really consider it due to the whole shortsword thing, but... maybe?

Default Build Plan

Right now I'm planning on building this:

Human
    9 monk (improved evasion, etc.)
    6 ranger (ITWF and Manyshot for burst damage)
    5 fighter (feats, and heavy blades, one with the blade, etc.)
    Other major feats taken: GTWF, great cleave line, improved crit slashing (optional as nightmares have keen on them already), improved crit piercing, epic toughness, devastating crit, Zen archery all the normal melee stuff.

-Will be using dual nightmares on most trash (centered with heavy blades)
    -Swap to dual celestia situational (centered with dark monk ninja spy)

Thinking about GTHF line as well, for the glancing blow procs on both the above weapons, and in case I want to use eSOS or Cleaver situational. There are a lot of different ways to go with this build.

Could also go with heavy picks and hammers, and use dual mornhs and dual deathnips and dual celestia or ee giant's fist depending upon situation if you want to do something different. Fact is all of these weapons do decent damage its more about what you like to play and also what you have/get raid loot wise.
    RTFM, DOOF, and MACHINATION on Khyber. Guild: Toy Soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingault View Post
    Huh, forgot that weapon existed...
    Didn't really consider it due to the whole shortsword thing, but... maybe?
    well for all intents and purposes it is a bastard sword with glancing blow damage!

One with the Blade requires Greater Weapon Focus, which requires Fighter 8.
    Knight of the Silver Legion, part of Guild Medieval

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Right now I'm planning on building this:

Human
    9 monk (improved evasion, etc.)
    6 ranger (ITWF and Manyshot for burst damage)
    5 fighter (feats, and heavy blades, one with the blade, etc.)
    Other major feats taken: GTWF, great cleave line, improved crit slashing (optional as nightmares have keen on them already), improved crit piercing, epic toughness, devastating crit, Zen archery all the normal melee stuff.

-Will be using dual nightmares on most trash (centered with heavy blades)
    -Swap to dual celestia situational (centered with dark monk ninja spy)

Thinking about GTHF line as well, for the glancing blow procs on both the above weapons, and in case I want to use eSOS or Cleaver situational. There are a lot of different ways to go with this build.

Could also go with heavy picks and hammers, and use dual mornhs and dual deathnips and dual celestia or ee giant's fist depending upon situation if you want to do something different. Fact is all of these weapons do decent damage its more about what you like to play and also what you have/get raid loot wise.
    Alright, thanks for the info.
    Guess I'll use my +20 lesser heart of reincarnation to go into The Abomination(seems like the good start), and then I'll figure out what weapons suit me best from there... Maybe TR into a race that gets damage bonuses from them... Half Elf Rogue Dilettante is nice but way too many enemies are immune to sneak attack imo, so maybe racial damage boosts will be more useful in the long run, though that would lock me out of trying various weapons due to not getting as much damage from them.

Community Member

Alright, thanks for the info.
    Guess I'll use my +20 lesser heart of reincarnation to go into The Abomination(seems like the good start), and then I'll figure out what weapons suit me best from there... Maybe TR into a race that gets damage bonuses from them... Half Elf Rogue Dilettante is nice but way too many enemies are immune to sneak attack imo, so maybe racial damage boosts will be more useful in the long run, though that would lock me out of trying various weapons due to not getting as much damage from them.
    Assuming LD with OC, imp PA, dance of flowers, earth stance, devastating crit Axe of Adaxus lags just a hair behind drow khopesh and Balizarde (not counting augment slots, or upgrades to Balizarde), and is a whisker ahead of deathnip. They're all within about 3% from top to bottom. So, all things being essentially equal for damage my take is this:
    Balizarde - has highest DPS and gives parrying VIII, dodge 8% and luck +2 and uses piercing making for easier swaps to celestia or other rapiers for DR breaking
    Drow 'pesh - grants +10 stun (or trip, or whatever tactical feat) and gives easy access to the best boss beaters of any TWF (crafted khopeshes and lootgen khopeshes). On the downside it can't be slotted with Mabar ruby
    Adaxus - gets you great DPS, like the others. It's advantages end there, because using handaxes otherwise sucks. To gain the other advantages of axes with better weapons requires exotic weapon proficiency that is otherwise wasted with your primary weapon and will be dramatically behind khopesh (and even rapier). Furthermore, if you switch to Fury (which you'll want to do in raids) you fall much further behind the other options. That said they are easy enough to come by that you could possibly get a supply of them to slot good/silver, good/cold iron, good/mabar, mabar/acid. Deathnip - mostly same as adaxus, but usable at level 14 and not quite as good at cap.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Assuming LD with OC, imp PA, dance of flowers, earth stance, devastating crit Axe of Adaxus lags just a hair behind drow khopesh and Balizarde (not counting augment slots, or upgrades to Balizarde), and is a whisker ahead of deathnip. They're all within about 3% from top to bottom. So, all things being essentially equal for damage my take is this:
    Balizarde - has highest DPS and gives parrying VIII, dodge 8% and luck +2 and uses piercing making for easier swaps to celestia or other rapiers for DR breaking
    Drow 'pesh - grants +10 stun (or trip, or whatever tactical feat) and gives easy access to the best boss beaters of any TWF (crafted khopeshes and lootgen khopeshes). On the downside it can't be slotted with Mabar ruby
    Adaxus - gets you great DPS, like the others. It's advantages end there, because using handaxes otherwise sucks. To gain the other advantages of axes with better weapons requires exotic weapon proficiency that is otherwise wasted with your primary weapon and will be dramatically behind khopesh (and even rapier). Furthermore, if you switch to Fury (which you'll want to do in raids) you fall much further behind the other options. That said they are easy enough to come by that you could possibly get a supply of them to slot good/silver, good/cold iron, good/mabar, mabar/acid. Deathnip - mostly same as adaxus, but usable at level 14 and not quite as good at cap.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. Really helpful.
    Guess I'll go the good ol' khopesh way for now and swap to stabbing should I ever get Balizardes.
    Thanks again.
    It's ironic though. I'd have the levels(though not the order) for the Abomination build, but I kinda went 7 ranger instead of 6. Oh well, I'll just get a +1 heart to fix that instead of using the +20 one I have... unless the level order turns out to be more important than I expected.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Twf

At low levels I once had TWF that rocked with duel Timeblades. However, someone earlier mentioned bastard swords. I've always want to try and duel wield 2 Nightmares. Also it looks like fun to duel wield 2 Mountain Fists (EE).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    At low levels I once had TWF that rocked with duel Timeblades. However, someone earlier mentioned bastard swords. I've always want to try and duel wield 2 Nightmares. Also it looks like fun to duel wield 2 Mountain Fists (EE).
    Hm... wouldn't Adaxus be better due to having a higher crit damage multiplier?(And STR mod according to ddowiki)
    Then again, it's not that much of a difference to be vital... Can still deal fantastic damage I bet.

Treasure Hunter

Default Yummy

Hm... wouldn't Adaxus be better due to having a higher crit damage multiplier?(And STR mod according to ddowiki)
    Then again, it's not that much of a difference to be vital... Can still deal fantastic damage I bet.
    Dang that ax looks yummy too! One of each or 2 of a kind?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    Dang that ax looks yummy too! One of each or 2 of a kind?

Hm, personally, I'd go duo Adaxus, unless the purple slot on the Fist proves to be more useful than another x1 crit...
    guess you could use the weapon DR types and augments to make different combos, depending on the enemy... Or you could just make different sets of Adaxus for all possible DR types you'd encounter, if you feel the need/can't find an Artificer.

But yeah, I'd go duo Adaxus if I had to pick between the two.

Treasure Hunter

Default Double Drat!

Hm, personally, I'd go duo Adaxus, unless the purple slot on the Fist proves to be more useful than another x1 crit...
    guess you could use the weapon DR types and augments to make different combos, depending on the enemy... Or you could just make different sets of Adaxus for all possible DR types you'd encounter, if you feel the need/can't find an Artificer.

But yeah, I'd go duo Adaxus if I had to pick between the two.
    I like your idea of multiple axes for different uses. I just turned my Harty (Half-Orc melee Arty) into 2 handed ax fighter. Double drat!!! I have one of each ax in the bank right now. And I may have another Adaxus on another toon I never equipped.

3 axes (1 mountain fist and 2 adaxus) is allot of cool combos. Drat I should have listed to my inner voice when LR ing.

Community Member

Hm, I wonder though, and this is what bugs me most, would I be better off twfing, or going Monkcher for multishot/10k stars? Latter probably needs more in tomes to work great... and tbh, I kinda want to go Monkcher due to the whole being able to stay ranged most/all of the time, and... hm...
    Perhaps I should post a post a thread in multiclass(rather than melee) about this... Haven't been able to find a comparison of twf and monkcher dps...

Treasure Hunter

Default Intersting

Hm, I wonder though, and this is what bugs me most, would I be better off twfing, or going Monkcher for multishot/10k stars? Latter probably needs more in tomes to work great... and tbh, I kinda want to go Monkcher due to the whole being able to stay ranged most/all of the time, and... hm...
    Perhaps I should post a post a thread in multiclass(rather than melee) about this... Haven't been able to find a comparison of twf and monkcher dps...
    I've never played a Monkcher but got those gloves maxed from CC. I may try one as well someday. Maybe next life. I'm having allot of fun with the Nat Gan staff and great Hellstroke ax at the moment.

Thanks for that. I should have looked deeper in the pre-req tree. That means for the TWF build will have to go 8FTR, 7ranger, 6 monk for a little more SP or 9FTR, 6ranger, 6 monk for better ref and will saves. Probably 9/6/6 saves is the best bet for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloista View Post
    One with the Blade requires Greater Weapon Focus, which requires Fighter 8.

Thanks for that. I should have looked deeper in the pre-req tree. That means for the TWF build will have to go 8FTR, 7ranger, 6 monk for a little more SP or 9FTR, 6ranger, 6 monk for better ref and will saves. Probably 9/6/6 saves is the best bet for that.
    Nightmare and an EE First Blood. Allows you to wear 30% hamp of superior parrying bracers (or really anything, since First Blood has 15% doublestrike on it) instead of something like the Skirmisher's bracers.

Community Member

Each of those combinations lists 21 class levels.... kind of a problem.