Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Founder

Default what works best on mabar gargoyles for casters

upper levels 20+, what are the best spells to use on the gargoyles. everyone screams about using disco or web or most any AoE persistent spell.

so pick them off one at a time with finger, hope wail hits ?? they have too many hit points for any of my instant AoE to take them out, so seems like someway to slow, hold, etc would be better. especially if you are paired up with melee types in a lever room.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    upper levels 20+, what are the best spells to use on the gargoyles. everyone screams about using disco or web or most any AoE persistent spell.

so pick them off one at a time with finger, hope wail hits ?? they have too many hit points for any of my instant AoE to take them out, so seems like someway to slow, hold, etc would be better. especially if you are paired up with melee types in a lever room.

thanks

As they all ways gang up on you; exploding elemental balls and things that chain up.

Oh, and you might want to switch to electricity as that one doesn't register and for that seems to cause the least amount of lagg? (Not sure if this is true but seems to work.)

For divines it's light spells that does the trick.

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

Community Member

Anyone screaming about persistent effects like blade barrier or wall of fire are idiots. These are the type of people that believe in mediums, acupuncture and homeopathy and should be mocked and ridiculed. They have no effect on lag, they in fact reduce it since they kill gargoyles far more quickly than some idiot fvs with a bow, and gargoyles can contribute to lag.

thanks
    Energy Burst one-shots them. Any caster not using Energy Burst is pretty much griefing and should stick to single player games where their suckitude won't be wasting other people's time.

Blade barriers and firewalls dont seem to be causing lag. Discoballs i cant say for certain about, since nobodys used them when ive been in.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    Anyone screaming about persistent effects like blade barrier or wall of fire are idiots. These are the type of people that believe in mediums, acupuncture and homeopathy and should be mocked and ridiculed. They have no effect on lag, they in fact reduce it since they kill gargoyles far more quickly than some idiot fvs with a bow, and gargoyles can contribute to lag.

Energy Burst one-shots them. Any caster not using Energy Burst is pretty much griefing and should stick to single player games where their suckitude won't be wasting other people's time.
    I agree with your assessment, but by calling people idiots for believing homeopathy is very ignorant. All homeopathy means is using natural substances to heal. You do realize there are many natural cures in this world? Much of the medicine we use today is derived from natural sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    I agree with your assessment, but by calling people idiots for believing homeopathy is very ignorant. All homeopathy means is using natural substances to heal. You do realize there are many natural cures in this world? Much of the medicine we use today is derived from natural sources.
    Homeopathy also believes that water has memory. I think that this is the bit he calls idiocy

I've seen sorcs one shot them with an energy burst, I can't say if a wizard would have the same success, but worth a try.

General rule of thumb whenever lag is a concern:

Good
    Web
    Firewall
    Blade Barrier

Bad
    Disco ball
    Ice storm
    Acid rain

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Blade barriers and firewalls dont seem to be causing lag. Discoballs i cant say for certain about, since nobodys used them when ive been in.
    Yes they do. Been there, lagged that.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Yes they do. Been there, lagged that.
    The only time ive lagged out nobody used firewalls (that i could see at least. The rest of the time firewalls were all over the place, and no lag. This would speak for the fact that there is no direct link between firewalls and lag.

2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Satyriasys View Post
    I'm sorry to tell you but he is right. Do some more research on the subject as opposed to trying to lump it together with things that actually work. It helps neither cause.
    Officer of Renowned

2015 DDO Players Council B0ltdrag0n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    General rule of thumb whenever lag is a concern:

Good
    Web
    Firewall
    Blade Barrier

Disco ball
    Ice storm
    Acid rain

Bad
    Believing in some sort of videogame voodoo
    FTFY

Although; I hear that after you beat the Spectral Dragon using nothing but shuriken you get a potion that resurrects Gary Gygax
    Officer of Renowned

Quote Originally Posted by B0ltdrag0n View Post
    I'm sorry to tell you but he is right. Do some more research on the subject as opposed to trying to lump it together with things that actually work. It helps neither cause.
    You are correct and I am a big stupid head.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

As with all non rednamed non shadar kai mabar mobs:

undeath to death

Or just keep energy bursting

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Homeopathy also believes that water has memory. I think that this is the bit he calls idiocy
    if you have weak video board they do cause lag, but only for you

Community Member

It has been tested. It does not cause lag. Get 6 sorc/bard/wizards together and cover every freaking inch of devil assault room with balls, symbols, ice storms and cloudkills AND GET NO LAG. IT DOES NOT CAUSE LAG.

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post

It has been tested. It does not cause lag. Get 6 sorc/bard/wizards together and cover every freaking inch of devil assault room with balls, symbols, ice storms and cloudkills AND GET NO LAG. IT DOES NOT CAUSE LAG.
    Actually, it can... sort of While I suspect you're quite correct in that they don't cause server lag, people (like me) playing on PoS boxes effectively experience lag symptoms. (Loss of frame rate?)

I love all these "(X) causes lag" diagnosis, it reminds me of the whole "I was eating a sandwich when the volcano erupted, therefore eating sandwiches causes eruptions" hokum.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I use to get lag from AoE spells like Clouds/Storms etc. But eliminated that last spring by updating the PC's Standard Video Card to a Video card rated for Gaming. When I first started playing DDO it didn't have a need for such high end video components. However, I truly recommend putting it on the Wish list if you don't have it there already.

Now I'm not saying all my lag has disappeared, but I have eliminated the Video Lag on my machine.

So I think those spells that can cause Video Lag are best used minimally to allow others to assist in completing, But if you are ok soloing an Alter by all means have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    As with all non rednamed non shadar kai mabar mobs:

undeath to death

Or just keep energy bursting
    They aren't Umbral Gargoyles I don't think. Wail/Finger of Death/Destruction works on them, so I'd be surprised if Undead to Death worked on them too.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    They aren't Umbral Gargoyles I don't think. Wail/Finger of Death/Destruction works on them, so I'd be surprised if Undead to Death worked on them too.
    When I spammed light the darks and bursts, they took damage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast