Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    make the Paladin Aura selectable so that at each tier the player can choose if they want a boost to AC, Saves or Spell Resistance. In practice, DPS focused Paladins could at least pick up 1 of the bonuses to their aura.
    Unless I'm confused by what you mean, that's how it works. (Except the three choices are AC, PRR or saves.)

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Unless I'm confused by what you mean, that's how it works. (Except the three choices are AC, PRR or saves.)
    No, that's Improved Sacred Defense you're thinking of. What I'm referring to is Bulwark Aura in tier 2 (previously Bulwark of Good), Resistance Aura in tier 3 (previously resistance of good) and the new Spellshield aura in tier 4 (no previous equivalent).
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Let me preface this by first saying that my paladin, a pure level 20 paladin, had been my most worked-on, favorite, primary character until the enhancement pass....
    This is an awesome thread. Best I've seen in fact that sums up the problems with this class.

Most know me for my bards. However it's a Paladin which is the first class I ever roll when I start a new D&D game. My guild leader feels just like you, when it comes to her Paladins.

You are spot on here. I hope the devs really take what you are sayin here to heart, because this is not just you talking...

Good stuff sephiroth!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    That might be interesting, not sure how it would work overall though as one of the faiths is the longbow, which is kinda irrelevant to a Defender, and likewise the greatsword is not something compatible with defender builds.

(Defenders can use a greatsword, yes, but not with their stance).
    I did actually think of that after posting. Silver Flame Paladins (and really, many Silver Flame divines, period) really get shafted as far as enhancement synergy goes, though Warpriest did fix a little of that on the Cleric/FvS side (but really, Devs, no ranged Smite Foe for SF divines? C'mon, man!)

Warforged and their greatswords are in a similar boat from the Defender Paladin side - my WF pure paladin was pretty much forced to go mostly KotC because she's simply not specced to use one-handers, even though the stance HP bump would have been nice.

Someone else posted secondary weapons per faith, and that would be one way to go - the problem there is that with the faiths we currently have, the Sovereign Host, the prestige least affected by the current faith weapon synergy issues, would be the only faith with other options due to lore reasons, and we've already diluted the lore enough.

The other and IMO better option would be to alter the Paladin faith enhancements to decouple them entirely from bonuses to specific weapons per faith (they get the proficiency anyway in all current cases so in reality all they get is +1 to hit (yawn)) and tie them instead to "knightly" weapons, mainly 1h straight blades (so longswords, rapiers, shortswords and B-swords (along with autogranting B-sword proficiency.)) They could still keep the secondary faith feats at Level 6 such as Undying Call or Unyielding Sovereignty (every paladin currently should be Undying Court if possible, or Sovereign Host if not, specifically because of this and this is another semi-related issue), but the straight blade bonuses would allow them to be the kick*** Knights Templar they should be, as Defenders. And they'd have some interesting options for not going Defender as well, especially with auto-B-sword proficiency. (It's not a Khopesh and Dwarves are still going to use their Dwarven Axes, but some diversity and choice is good.) Even toss in greatswords so THF non-Defender Paladins get thrown a bone instead of being suboptimal to TWF or Defender builds in this case.

(And no, I'm not suggesting the straightblade thing to help out my Arising Hero build. Nope. Not at all.)
    Last edited by TDarkchylde; 11-06-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    .: Sarlona - High Lords of Malkier :.
    .: Inamorata (Heroic Completionist) / Signalmixer (TR3) (Vorpal Queen) / Darkchylde-1 / Darqchylde / Rashree (TR) / Arising :.
    .: Groundloop (TR4) / Lainiel (TR2) / Zephale (Vorpal Princess) / Aurachylde / Torrynn :.

Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    We did exactly what you asked when the trees for Paladins were revealed. The Devs ignored us.
    Yeah, they do that. Quite a bit in fact. People on the forum are mostly "ignored". I think some things are brought to their attention by those who regulate the forum - but not many.

I think they primarily look at metrics. How many players play paladins? How much do paladins spend? Did we see a huge drop off in the number of paladins? Did this reduce the number of players we had in the game?

I'm pretty sure they're being guided by these stats, but they have, on rare occasions, listened to the players. If they can't correlate a drop-off in players with the changes to paladin, it will be hard to change their minds in any significant way.

Take reincarnation. They noticed players liked to level their characters in this game, but didn't really get into the "end-game." They noticed large numbers of people were leaving after they reached the "end-game." They noticed many who stayed rolled-up another class. So they came up with reincarnation - something no-one anywhere else does on the their MMO.

Were their long posts by players asking for a reincarnation system? (Or even free-to-play?) No! Players were asking for a PvP endgame, a Raid endgame, and everything but level your character 20 times . . . !

I've been pretty impressed by Turbine so far for thinking outside the gelatinous cube. I think their amount of bugs is still a major problem. ( Will the Dev's listen to me and fix all the bugs - I don't think so.)

This online game is still very unique with complications that cause problem, but also make the game interesting.

Boy I'm babbling on and on, sorry.

Bumping this thread in the hopes that a dev actually reads it, since we've had some activity on that front on the forums lately. Please read the OP, devs, and some of the comments by others, particularly on pages 1 and 2.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

I want to be excited and happy to play my paladin again, devs. C'mon! Let's get a discussion rolling. Or at least a "Read by a dev."
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    I want to be excited and happy to play my paladin again, devs. C'mon! Let's get a discussion rolling. Or at least a "Read by a dev."
    I vote for a back & forth discussion involving reasoning/intent behind Turbine's choices regarding mostly pure pally's/capstones, pally enhancement tree's etc.

Something along those lines would be a breath of fresh air! Sigh.
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

I agree with a lot of this, by one thing I disagree is giving defensive stance at level one...everyone would take two levels of paladin if it gave you PRR, AC, threat and saves. I propose giving defensive stance at 6, and include the save bonus then. This would give more reason to go Deeper in paladin. At level 12 give improved defensive stance and shield mastery. Level 18 give improved shield mastery and auto divine might. Level 20 capstone is similar to kensei melee alacrity. +1 to critical range and 1/4 cha bonus to multiplier on smites too. That would be reason not to splash 6 levels of monk and 12 levels of fighter. Also it would give the saves bonus only to deep splashes of pally instead of 2/3 of the characters.

Another change that would be easier to implement than this would be just to add the warpriest tree...between stacking bonuses, ameliorating strike and bonuses to faith weapons it would be an easy boost to both KOTC and defender builds

Quote Originally Posted by painkiller3 View Post
    I agree with a lot of this, by one thing I disagree is giving defensive stance at level one...everyone would take two levels of paladin if it gave you PRR, AC, threat and saves. I propose giving defensive stance at 6, and include the save bonus then. This would give more reason to go Deeper in paladin. At level 12 give improved defensive stance and shield mastery. Level 18 give improved shield mastery and auto divine might. Level 20 capstone is similar to kensei melee alacrity. +1 to critical range and 1/4 cha bonus to multiplier on smites too. That would be reason not to splash 6 levels of monk and 12 levels of fighter. Also it would give the saves bonus only to deep splashes of pally instead of 2/3 of the characters.

Another change that would be easier to implement than this would be just to add the warpriest tree...between stacking bonuses, ameliorating strike and bonuses to faith weapons it would be an easy boost to both KOTC and defender builds
    The defensive stance is already a level 6 core ability. Also, one can get all of the benefits of the stance with only 6 levels of paladin. I do not like this design. It forces the player to spends lots of points on what used to be a reward of sorts for taking extra class levels in paladin.

Default I Feel Your Pain...

Sephiroth, I feel the same pain as you do.

My first character in DDO was a paladin also, I've spent more time on him than ANY character combined, I laughed, cried, and died on him countless times and it was all worth it. Now I can scarcely look at him anymore due to what the devs did with their abilities.

Turbine! Read this thread of fallen paladins!

Another idea I've had of late to encourage and award characters that are primarily Paladin, instead of just a Paladin splash...

Improved Divine Might
    Prereq: 12 levels of Paladin
    Effect: Makes Divine Might worth 1.5X - 2X better
    The best part of the 10th Anniversary of DDO...the description on the Oatmeal Raisin Kookie,
    "From a distance you thought this was a chocolate chip kookie. Now you're sad."

Quote Originally Posted by ralmeth View Post
    another idea i've had of late to encourage and award characters that are primarily paladin, instead of just a paladin splash...

improved divine might
    prereq: 12 levels of paladin
    effect: Makes divine might worth 1.5x - 2x better
    Genius!

Community Member SteeleTrueheart's Avatar

Normally (as a player of 2 pure paladins and 3 deep splash pali's) I would chime in on this thread.

I just don't believe paladins will get any priority any time soon.
    Khyber - Officer in The Stormreach Thieves Guild
    Steeles (TR 1 Paladin 20 / 8 Epic - TWF) - Steeley (Monkadin - Pal 18/Monk 2/ 8 Epic - Unarmed) - Steeltruhart (TR1 Paladin 17 - S&B Bastardsword) - Steelforged (Pal 20 / 8 Epic - SWF) - Steeltruhurt (TR1 - Pal 8 / Ftr 2 - THF) Steelsouls (Clr 17 / Pal 3 /8 Epic)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleTrueheart View Post
    Normally (as a player of 2 pure paladins and 3 deep splash pali's) I would chime in on this thread.

I just don't believe paladins will get any priority any time soon.
    I have to concur. Fixing Paladins isn't anywhere near the Devs radar.

I still think that Divine Might should be reverted back to the pnp version while the new Divine Might should be added into one of the trees as Divine Strength. With Divine Might back in its original form, the feat Epic Divine Might can finally be added to the game, along with epic feat Great Smiting. Both of those Epic feats should have been added when MOTU included the first set of Epic feats.

Even if Divine Might isn't reverted back, the current version of Divine Might should be a Moral bonus since Rage doesn't work with the Paladin stance and Bards can't multiclass with Paladins. The Moral Bonus solves the stack problem that pure paladins have a problem with.

But we've been asking for these changes for several months now and the Devs don't seem to care. Much like they don't care about how the Core Abilities and Capstones are completely weaksauce.

The Devs cannot ignore us forever, eventually they WILL have to listen to their fans so they can shut us up.

Like they always do

there is so many things wrong with paladin enchancements, i will say that again, they were done in hurry, and it shows, little to none thought was put into them, idk why devs have that maniacal thought that paladins need to be balanced down, always down, the problem started with devs allowing for paladin to be splashed/multiclassed, paladin gives too much good stuff for splashing just 2-3 levels, so i think thats where changes should start.

cha to saves? same idea as with fvs/sorc and 2x sp from items, cha bonus added to the saves is based on HOWMANY paladin levels user has.
    smites and layons do that already, as they require paladin levels for calculations.

for defender? remove that stance as its pointless, everyone runs in it 99% of time, and that 1% that dont, just forgot to turn it on.
    +6 to str and con, 20% to hp? split it into core enchancements, each core could give stacking 5% hp and cores 3,4,5 or 4,5,6 +2,+4,+6 to str/con, does not require shield on.

save, hate and prr bonuses from defense trio of enchancements should REQUIRE shield on.

mastery and reinforcement ac bonus enchancements should be merged, and rebalanced, to shield give MUCH higher % bonus to ac and prr

in freed spaces new enchancements, one shield based attack and one upgrade of shield bash, upgrade of shield bash would add a chance for one of attacks to be rolled when shield bash is done (direct or % chance one) stun/trip/unbalance/slow? all sorts of possibilities, to make shield in hand feel more like weapon than just a slab of wood/metal/crystal/
    shield attack would require active blocking, would do the same animation, that is done when breaking the str staff in castle quest in highroad, it could be called shield rush and it would do overrun effect, on enemies of same size or lower, giants would instead have chance to be tripped.

things taht apply to fighter defender, should be applied there too ofc.
    "If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong."
    — Groucho Marx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123