Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What to do with first tome.

So I got my +5 from mabar. Frankly if it wast for the lag it would have been disappointingly easy, Considering Ive never even seen one come up in harder fights. But on to the pertinent question. What should a first life character do with it?

I'm thinking Con for defence, since I've got 1/2 to 2/3rds the HP or the TRs I play with.

Im open to the wisdom of the sages....

I would say Con, as most 1st life toons neglect this more then they should, it is also a stat that benefits any build. However, if you have a good save or decent HP, you might want to invest in your primary stat first, to help you get a second tome.

INT for skill points I'd say.
    DEX maybe for traps if you solo alot.

Is there any good reason to save it? I assume if I TR this guy I lose the tome and he's L15 now.

Depends largely on what toon and what their primary goal is.
    Sure con is a nice generic place to have a time for any toon.

Is it a DC caster wizard/cleric/FvS ? Then Int or Wisdom would be a better choice IMO.
    Stunning monk then probably Wisdom.

Rogue, pally or barb probably Con.

Ranger or xbow arti probably want to look at dex to easy up the IPS requirement.

So many different styles / goals that you can't really say just do this it is the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykka View Post
    Is there any good reason to save it? I assume if I TR this guy I lose the tome and he's L15 now.
    The tome will be there next life. Although it will increment +1 at 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th levels. Not all at once at 1st level.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

All tomes persist through TR now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

i would go whatever your main stat is, or con... (int as 3rd place)
    Inagaki
    Argo
    CoP

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    All tomes persist through TR now
    But if you use it do you get to use it again as a TR?

Community Member

Con if you're a really new (no 32pt builds etc) player or are planning eventual epic toughness builds. Dex or whatever stat requirement is tight on your character.... else main stat?

But if you use it do you get to use it again as a TR?
    Not in the way you think. If you use it, then you'll get a +1 at level 3, another +1 at level 7, one at level 11, 15 and then finally at 19, making a total of +5.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Lol I have to wait 4 levels to even use it.

Thanks for the advice guys, Doesn't look like it'll affect this life much tho. I'll probably pick something for the next life if I want to TR I guess

Go for Con.

Con is the hardest +5 tome to trade for due to everyone wanting one on their character.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

I'm personally using it for +int, for extra skills in my next life (fourth)

However, I also intend to work for 5000 honor before I TR again and take a con tome with that. I'm running elite on everything and have 2650ish favor atm and am only up to level 14 quests right now. After con, I'd probably go with Strength as it's in general more often used by builds.

Lol I have to wait 4 levels to even use it.

Thanks for the advice guys, Doesn't look like it'll affect this life much tho. I'll probably pick something for the next life if I want to TR I guess
    Depending on what tomes you already have, like if you have +4's, it won't mean much for a TR project as you get the last +1 at 19th, which does not add much, and does not add it when you would need it as most players skip 19th anyway.

If you only had +2's and plan to stay in the epic game, that can add +3 to whatever stat you need it in, which is very handy.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Going for CON you can never be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HitchNZ View Post

However, I also intend to work for 5000 honor before I TR again and take a con tome with that. I'm running elite on everything and have 2650ish favor atm and am only up to level 14 quests right now. After con, I'd probably go with Strength as it's in general more often used by builds.
    Good luck with that. If you manage to complete 5000 favor,make sure you post a how-to on the forums somewhere. Especially getting all stars on some of those kobold island challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by HitchNZ View Post

It's only 2 skillpoints over a +4 tome, and even then you only get that if you start with an odd Int score (which is a pretty uncommon decision).

Given that +4 tomes are not hard to acquire nowadays, I'd definitely suggest you go with Con first. Then trade for an outright +3 Int tome, then for a 3-to-4 upgrade tome. You'll have the resources to get both before you hit level 28.

5000 favor appears to actually still be unattainable in U20 unless the Kobold Island star objectives have been fixed. Total favor is around 5004 or so, and about 10 of that is unattainable due to broken objectives. Once U21 hits, however, 5000 favor lives will be common to see.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member

What to do with it depends on what you play. There was a +6 tome on the test server so I assume we will get a +6 tome for mabar next year. That +6 tome I would use on con so I would use this one on something else. Int is what I am going with because it benefits all classes in the form of skill points and a +6 tome does not give any extra skill points over a +5 because the 6th point does not kick in until after level 20 and you do not get skill points to spend after level 20. So while +6 con continues to benefit you over and above +5 con, +6 int does not benefit you over +5 int unless you use the int stat for spells or trap skills.

If you only play certain classes you may be able to make a better choice but as a person that assumes all my characters will be playing all the classes for all the passive past life bonuses, int and con are always useful while the other stats are often pretty much useless for certain classes.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Consider your top stat priority of course but also consider the value of tomes you have already benefited from. Say strength is your number 1 priority with con being a second choice. You've already used a +4 STR but only a +2 for your con. I might be best to use the +5 for your con stat as a +4 to +5 upgrade may be an inexpensive option for your STR later.
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast