Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool I Have A Question...

I have a question to the general DDO populace. Just the players, not the Devs or the Moderators - who as nice people as they are, would be unlikely to be able to participate in what is the gist of my question.

To get right to the heart of the matter, during the Bridge Protest, I was host to several Trivia Events. And I'll be totally honest - they were six of the most fun hours I've had playing this game in all the years I've been playing it. It was just a blast, and I loved doing it.

Now, I'm thinking about creating, hosting, and prize-gathering for a monthly Trivia Event.

The format would be very much like the events I ran on the Bridge. Gather in one place - I'll ask questions based on DDO, classic D&D, movies, books, pop culture, music in all it's myriad forms, celebrities, science, etc. Basically, Bar Trivia with a geeky/D&D twist on it. The questions would be answered by sending me a /Tell with the answer, so it's not shouted out loud - followed by a /Wave. The /Wave is important, as it gives a public time-stamp on the who answered "first". Yes, sometimes the person who answered by /Tell got the answer before anyone else - but the /wave is an indisputable public way of keeping the scoring as honest as possible.

I am thinking of offering prizes, unlike the events on the Bridge. As these would be totally optional events, as well as not ties to any larger movement beyond the sake of fun, I'd like to have something to grant to the winners beyond just bragging rights. I'm thinking about offering 1550 Turbine Points, roughly twenty bucks, to the winner of each monthly event.

Right now, I'm just trying to judge public interest on this. If there seems to be a lot of folks who'd love to give their hand at Memnir's Monthly Trivia Madness™, then I will certainly put the gears in motion. If not... well, that's less work for me.

But, interacting with my fellow players is hands-down the most rewarding, entertaining, and downright fulfilling thing I've been able to do with this game. I love DDO and it's community... y'all are just amazing and fun people... and I want to give back and have fun while doing it.

Anybody interested?
    Last edited by Memnir; 10-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Memnir, I loved your trivia events, even if I could only participate in one. The questions had been very good, it needed skill to enter and get points, as well as knowledge. Therefore +1 for the idea.

But... Do you have already solutions for this:
    1.) Basically there is the problem with crossing server boundaries - your trivia events either would remain static on one server (hopefully Wayfinder ^^) or you would like to do the event on a different server every time. Any way, they would remain mainly a local event on any given server on any given time. Even if it would be possible to form a toon specially for the event for any participant.
    2.) Then, with the server problem comes the price problem. If you really would like to issue a price, this price would need to remain on one server. Perhaps transfering the price into astral shards would be a possibility for easing to cross server boundaries. This only would help Turbine to garner money in the long run, losses twofold, one time for you and one time for the winner, in case the winner wants to transfer the price to another server.
    3.) 8 p.m. EST is 2 a.m. here where I live. And it´s 8 a.m. in Asia. There will never be the optimum time for all players to attend. So even if you mix up with the times - finding the best time for any server seems like Mission Impossible.

Have you already asked Turbine if they want to sponsor the event? It would make some things much easier. Especially the thing with the prices...

Community Member

Bravo for the idea and commitment to the community. Can't say that personally I would participate as trivia contests are just not my thing, but they do seem popular with pretty much any group.

Hats off to a commitment to others and a real desire to help build community, at least that is the ultimate outcome. Always good to see the best in people come out.

Sounds like fun, Memnir, even without prizes, but...on which server? How do you handle that?
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    But... Do you have already solutions for this:
    Just quoting this to be clear on what I'm answering, I'll answer the rest as best I can below.

1.) Basically there is the problem with crossing server boundaries - your trivia events either would remain static on one server (hopefully Wayfinder ^^) or you would like to do the event on a different server every time. Any way, they would remain mainly a local event on any given server on any given time. Even if it would be possible to form a toon specially for the event for any participant.
    I'm thinking if this gets off the ground, I have two options... I'm not settled on either at this point.
    One, I could stay one just one server and the contestants could come to me...
    Or Two, I could host on a different server each month.

Not sure which one yet - but either one would be very workable.

2.) Then, with the server problem comes the price problem. If you really would like to issue a price, this price would need to remain on one server. Perhaps transfering the price into astral shards would be a possibility for easing to cross server boundaries. This only would help Turbine to garner money in the long run, losses twofold, one time for you and one time for the winner, in case the winner wants to transfer the price to another server.
    Well, Turbine Points are not confined to any one server, and thus why I am thinking that's the way to go. The winner could spend them on whatever they wanted from the Store: shards, bypass timers, cosmetics, and so on.

I would buy the code, have it in hand, and then pass the code off to the winner of the event. Easy Peasy.

3.) 8 p.m. EST is 2 a.m. here where I live. And it´s 8 a.m. in Asia. There will never be the optimum time for all players to attend. So even if you mix up with the times - finding the best time for any server seems like Mission Impossible.
    Time Zones would be a hassle, and there is simply no way to make everyone happy with each event. I would/could try to have some at differing times in order to try to make it more palatable for folks in other time-zones... but I will be perfectly honest and upfront in saying they will likely all be fairly convenient for me. As the possible host of the event and being the one shouldering the burden for putting up the prize, I think that would be my right.

Have you already asked Turbine if they want to sponsor the event? It would make some things much easier. Especially the thing with the prices...
    Nope. And I won't. This is about me wanting to give back and appreciate the DDO community I love and admire. I don't want Turbine to be involved any more then they need to beyond this being their game and servers. The only involvment I can see Turbine having right now would be if they told me not to have this event. At that point, I'd not have the event and let folks know why.

Sounds as if you've hit on a good way to have fun while bringing fun to other people.

You're going to have complainers no matter how well you run it. Some people take such "competitions" far too seriously, and I say that as someone who did so in the past.

Post your rules in a simple, understandable format. Schedule as you will for time and server. Discount those who get too serious or abusive. Reap the benefits of an overall fun time with fellow players.

Best of Luck, Good Sir!
    There is no free lunch.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

While I never managed to get in on the events, I've only heard great things about them from those who did. I think it is a fantastic idea.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Nice to see this kind of spirit...and good luck!

A wonderful idea Mem. I'd be happy to contribute trivia questions along any lines you require. Just let me know when and what.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Time Zones would be a hassle, and there is simply no way to make everyone happy with each event. I would/could try to have some at differing times in order to try to make it more palatable for folks in other time-zones... but I will be perfectly honest and upfront in saying they will likely all be fairly convenient for me. As the possible host of the event and being the one shouldering the burden for putting up the prize, I think that would be my right.
    US evening times would cover US and Asia/Australia. US morning/noon would cover US and Europe. Europe morning/noon would cover Europe and Asia. Ideally, this'd be done on weekends to attract the most people. The above are the options to "mix it up" I would suggest
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

You can find helpers that host it for you on different servers. do the question list pre the event, then distribute and do all the shows at same hour. But, in TP that will end expensive.

Anyway, the idea its cool, myself i will not participate cause, first english its not my mother language (so any word play question or so most sure i will not catch it) and ofc if some questions are about RL persons or celebrities i guess also will wont know cause different countries different celebrities.

anyway, a virtual +1 to help making the game more fun.

Thumbs up

Due to work constraints I missed your trivia events on Wayfinder and would love to participate.

/signed
    Gemdeath (Gimp Completionist)
    Wolfclan Wharfrat Furios and others. Yes my grammer sucks

Community Member

Memnir, It sounds wonderfull. even without any prize, it sounds great. Ofc, sounds even nicer with possible prize!

One thing: No matter if you switch servers or not, may I suggest holding the event on the top o the "since the dawn of the game" unused stone platform right next to reincarnator kruz in House J? :-) Its your event, but I think its look representative and I always thought it kinda sad that there is nothin there :-).

Bravo for coming up with a community building event and also for posting a positive, constructive thread on this forum!

Individuals like you are what keep this gaming community growing.
    Keep it fun out there . . .

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Sounds like a GREAT idea, and I 'd love to participate -though living in Europe i fear that won't be often. But even so, kudos for doing this!
    +10!

Greetz,
    Red Orm

Thanks everyone.

I'll start coming up with some more concrete plans for something, then see how the inaugural Trivia Event goes over to gauge long-term repeatability.
    Not sure when I'll announce something more - probably looking likely it won't kick off till December or January. If at all... if my financial situation changes, I may not be able to offer the Turbine Points as a prize for the winner. I'd prefer to have something to give away, ya know?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Anybody interested?
    This sounds really neat! If you want to do in-game things like Tomes or Platinum for prizes, I would be very glad to donate on Thellanis.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

As someone that has ran my own contests in the past, I recommend that you do NOT do it monthly. It gets quite tedious.

The good news, other players will send you stuff to giveaway. These players are just being nice and don't want the hassle of dealing with the bad news players. You can actually meet some really nice people doing this.

The bad news, some players will NOT stop sending you tells. Stuff like, "I really need two portable holes, can you gimme?" "Can you spare 10 Large Devil Scales" "How many +2 tomes do you have and what do you want for them?" They will even send you tells for two weeks after because they now have you on their friends list and they NEED stuff.

The bad news players really turned me off on giving stuff away. The ratio of bad news players to good news players was around NINE to one. Yes, 90% of the respondents to the contests I found to be annoying.

When I did my Icy Burst kits giveaways, that actually worked out OK. I set rules. Players actually had to show me a weapon they wanted to enter in the contest. Obviously, I could only do that during Risia Ice Games.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

If it's within my timeframe Mem, I will totally attend, even without the prize. I had far too much fun last time to not try to attend.

Moonunit

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    As someone that has ran my own contests in the past, I recommend that you do NOT do it monthly. It gets quite tedious.
    Maybe, but I think I can maintain a quiz a month. If not, then having a quarterly Trivia Event sounds good, too. lol If nothing else, it would be cheaper to fund. But at least at first - I'd like to aim for one a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    The bad news, some players will NOT stop sending you tells. Stuff like, "I really need two portable holes, can you gimme?" "Can you spare 10 Large Devil Scales" "How many +2 tomes do you have and what do you want for them?" They will even send you tells for two weeks after because they now have you on their friends list and they NEED stuff.
    I'll be honest, this is why I have no interest in dealing in items of plat. I'm not looking into becoming a warehouse of give-away effluvia, I'm just looking to hand out a small-ish prize that would still be of some value to the winner.

One 1550 code, and done.

Plus, I would not be running this event on anything other then an alt made just for this purpose. They can send all the Tells they like asking for items or codes... this alt would only be on for the events, and not at any other time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast