Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

When the servers can't handle the quest, it's poor design. You have system limitations that can't be ignored during design just because you feel like it. There is a reason we don't have standard dungeons with 40+ players that spawn multiple waves of 10 mobs at a time in 8 distinct map areas at once with an autofail condition worked into the quest and a 2 hour timer between repeats as well as an "overflow" instance that typically has so few players it's autofail for those not lucky enough to click on the door fast enough to enter. It doesn't take a dev to realize that's a recipe for disaster.

I'll admit, under good conditions, when the event runs smoothly, it's a nice dungeon, but it's clear that these ideal conditions do not exist in a typical instance of this event. It needs to be shelved until the dragon chamber is reworked to run within the limitations of the system.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

Thumbs up

I like this event. What I do not like is I have 50 keys and about 20 scales. I have the cloak for level 24. But I may never use it. Right now I have Mabar ingredients I have no use for.

I would like to see more items/gear added to burn what I have collected.

The potions that add plus 1 to 6 light damage are priceless to me. This is good for motes but what about the other stuff. Will I ever get to craft Spectral Dragon Armor? Or how about cosmetic armor with the scales to make our armor fit our character's roleplayness. Different types of spectral cosmetic armor based on what our character is, would be cool. Lich, Primal, etc.
    Last edited by zDragonz; 10-26-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Earth and and full time at work: I move 400 lb stainless steel Refrigerators with ease!

I just coined the word, Roleplayness, and want to ™ it. Thank you.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HernandoCortez View Post
    Whats your server? Wayfinder or Sarlona?
    Thelanis. Only have had 1 failed run due to lag myself. Running 20-25 level.

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    /not signed!

As usual, people on the forums are exaggerating. Yes, the lag is bad and unacceptable and the devs should be embarrassed. However, it is not unplayable. I'm sorry for people that are having 5 straight lag fails in the dragon chamber but for most it is not that bad, only 20% lag fail rate or so I'd guess after hearing from lots of players.
    Ummm...that's based on your experience. Here's my experience, if it helps your understand any better, as to what you're fortunately not seeing.

Summoning Chamber opens, and I use a key to get it. Half the time the loading screen lags for 20 seconds or so. Once the loading screen clears, I am now in the Summoning Chamber area, with 5+ people all standing in the same place. Trying to move does nothing, trying to jump just swings my character's arms in the air, and I go no where. Eventually we can all actually move. Everything is perfectly fine until the gargoyles start appearing. When they appear, enemy animation is normal, however player animation/movement is not. Entering chat into General Chat also has a 20-30 second delay, which makes it incredibly difficult to communicate where the dragon is.

At best, there is a 5-10 second delay in all movements or spell casting/striking. When I shoot a Meteor Storm spell at them, the spell goes off, but appears to do nothing, until 5-10 seconds later when the game finally shows fire damage dealt to them.

At worst, there are 10-20 seconds that I can't move at all. When protecting the lever, I was staring out the fence window into the alter room. The other person helping with the lever pulled the lever, causing gargoyles to spawn, so I attempted to run to the lever. I wasn't able to move at all, until I was suddenly jumped forward from the fenced window right to the lever. As in there was no movement animation, I was at the fenced window one second and teleported to the lever. The entire time I had 10 seconds or more of not being able to move, while watching the gargoyles move at full speed & doing damage as normal, and then a 5-10 second burst of being able to move, with a jitter.

In either case, and between fighting when the lever was activated, I was paying attention to the alter rooms. I observed 1-2 melee characters as the only ones moving, yet doing very slow damage to the gargoyles who were surrounding the alters. This is followed by "healers" complaining that they can't even heal themselves, let alone heal others. Complaints of "laaaaaaaaggggg" followed by a message across my screen that an alter has been destroyed. This is then followed by 30-60 seconds (no joke, last time I ran this it was a full minute or longer before it kicked us out) before we're pushed to Delera's Graveyard.

That's no exaggeration. If I knew how to record a video, I would do so, because my experience is exactly as described. I have never had this experience with the previous events (though I wasn't playing last year). I also have a much better computer this year as well, than I did for the previous years. Originally I had a P4 HT 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 5600SE graphics card (bought in '03). Now I have an i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 7500. I also have Verizon Fios, which I believe is an advertised 50/35Mbps (upgraded speed since last time). Not a horrible computer, nor slow connection.

Playing on Ghallanda too.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Sorry for your experiences. Read my prior post again, I'm basing my comments not only on my experiences but from others I've heard from. I've had 1 lag fail myself I know what is involved. My group couldn't move when gargoyles spawned, we all died, it sucked. I get the problem. However, my other 5 runs have been basically lag free. I'm not saying Mabar lag isn't embarrassing and ridiculous, it is. But what I've heard and read plenty of players having many more successful runs than lag fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    Graphical lag can appear to be the cause if it is worse than the actual server-side lag. One thing I've noticed over my time on gaming forums is that the phrase "top of the line" often doesn't mean that at all.
    I have graphics lag during normal gameplay at times. This is absolutely not graphic lag. My frame rates are completely fine. I can rotate, cast spells, swing my weapon, all rendered perfectly. I can't jump or move, i am rooted to my position. Every other person in the instance is not moving either. It's things that don't happen on my computer that i seem completely detached from. For the record, i'm not actually detached from the server, my connection status shows as completely normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    /signed

Close it for good since after 6 years it is apparent there is no one at Turbine that either cares or can fix it.....
    Ding ding ding!!! T
    On Khyber: Tchopstick, Tablespoon, Pspoon, Tsirio, Silvr, Ladle, Forq, Sporkk, Tspatula

Community Member

Wow....Mabar is absolutely worthless. I have no problems failing quests and raids. It happens. But not because 70% of the time we fail it's due to lag. This is ridiculous and this is the kind of **** that really sours me on events.

If mabar is not causing lag elsewhere, why should they end it, since i havent had any problems with more than one run. (That one was a nightmare, though) I can always retry if i fail, which i cant do if it closes.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

for all the people who are getting lag i feel for you honest,
    mabar is a great event but not signed as im not seeing the same.

i play on sarlona and i believe im 9 from 11 successful, 1 defeat was due
    to not enough players and 1 due to lag, we frooze up as dragon entered
    and got booted from the game.

i think the main question should be why do some get lag and others in the
    same instance do not, to this tho i have no answers.

i do wish you all better success in future runs.

your friend sil

Quote Originally Posted by silinteresting View Post
    i think the main question should be why do some get lag and others in the
    same instance do not, to this tho i have no answers.
    My experience is that for a given instance, everyone gets lag or nobody gets lag.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    My experience is that for a given instance, everyone gets lag or nobody gets lag.
    im afraid thats not what im seeing, i was playing last night and people were
    complaining of lag in both the raid part and outside, while at the same time
    me and a friend who come from the same area in the uk were playing fine
    and seeing no lag at all.

i agree the above seems odd but i can only write what im seeing sry.

your friend sil

/not signed

If you don't like it, don't play it. Lag is not that crippling at all. 6/10 successful runs so far. If I do not count the 3 fail runs on first day, because people did not know how its done, its 6/7 successful runs, which is pretty decent.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    /not signed

Don't like it, don't play it. Lag is not that crippling at all. 6/10 successful runs so far. If I do not count the 3 fail runs on first day, because people did not know how its done, its 6/7 successful runs.
    I don't play it. It still causes crippling lag intermittently in normal play.

Please close it.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

I am genuinely sorry for the folk who experience lag and I hope it gets resolved for you. I do enjoy this event immensely and am actually grouping with people. Something I have been staunchly opposed to in DDO for years.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by silinteresting View Post
    im afraid thats not what im seeing, i was playing last night and people were
    complaining of lag in both the raid part and outside, while at the same time
    me and a friend who come from the same area in the uk were playing fine
    and seeing no lag at all.

i agree the above seems odd but i can only write what im seeing sry.

your friend sil
    So you are telling me that you were in an instance of the dragon chamber where there were people who were completely unable to move, but you were moving fine?

I think you are misinterpreting what is being talked about here.

Community Member

No.

I have had twelve out of thirteen successful runs. Two of those successes happened during crippling lag. So did the one fail. I do not want mabar to disappear yet.

/not signed
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    I don't play it. It still causes crippling lag intermittently in normal play.

Please close it.
    This is my biggest issue with any of the events.

I've been bouncing in place on the ship, unable to interact with the shrines, for the last five minutes. In the meantime guild chat has filled up with the hourly barrage of "frozen..frozen..altar destroyed..fail".

If you can't get a handle on the lagbeast, maybe it needs to be put down. And cremated.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast