Community Member

Default Mabar Lag Cause?

Just an observation from yet another Mabar lag related fail. Gargoyles up = lag, no Gargoyles relatively lag free. Lots of other useful suggestions as to the cause whilst we stood still watching the alter die mostly not provable!

Quote Originally Posted by CEastwood View Post
    Just an observation from yet another Mabar lag related fail. Gargoyles up = lag, no Gargoyles relatively lag free. Lots of other useful suggestions as to the cause whilst we stood still watching the alter die mostly not provable!
    Tell people to NOT pull the levers up above unless the dragon is in their room
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    The instance i was in today was far beyond anything like this. The moment the gargoyles spawned in the altar room it was a total freeze. Never saw the dragon, Have no idea if the light in the room was on or not to be honest.

Its poor design assisted by casters who just have to cast area of effect spells and when the lag hammer hits a second later die with the rest of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

The issue is not the lights, it is area of effect spells

Blade barrier, dancing ball, stinking cloud, it is even worse if they cast it in an alter room...

wanna know my humble opinion about the lag issue ?

The lag in DDO is caused by a wrong setting of the AI of the mobs.
    There is something that cause a sort of looping flow mechanics in the mobs behaviour.

I've seen this problem in many other games who created updates and updates over existing models.

There should be someone who carefully examine all the AI tree settings to find the solution of the problem.
    Not an easy thing to do...

IMHO ofc, but i highly suspect to be in the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    The issue is not the lights, it is area of effect spells

Blade barrier, dancing ball, stinking cloud, it is even worse if they cast it in an alter room...
    This would almost make sense to me, if not for one problem. There is no empirical evidence that this is true. I was in 7 straight lag free instances, where we spammed the hell out of all those aoe spells, including dancing ball. Then i was in an instance that froze up completely the entire time, and nobody even had a chance to cast any of those spells.

The lag is clearly related to the spawning of the mobs. It happens or it doesn't. I've seen no evidence that anything the players are doing affect it at all.

or may be worst :

a lag issue caused by all the spells and effects (enanchements or whatever) who acts as zone or radius.
    And the calculating flow between the area/radius of damage and the mobs who arrives to collide with it.

May be a stimulating pulse that has a radius continually emitted by the source that increase over and over again
    and struck/slow the performance of the system.

I've seen this problem too in so many games..
    another kind of setting that is wrong and that should be correct.

IMHO 2 ofc.

is a new spell the dragon has called Maximus Lagious.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    wanna know my humble opinion about the lag issue ?

There is something that cause a sort of looping flow mechanics in the mobs behaviour.

I've seen this problem in many other games who created updates and updates over existing models.

There should be someone who carefully examine all the AI tree settings to find the solution of the problem.
    Not an easy thing to do...

IMHO ofc, but i highly suspect to be in the right track.
    It seems similar to the lag that happens in CiTW right before the first portal. As you run up the spiral a ton of archers spawn ahead of you and sometimes the game comes to a screeching halt. Just like mabar, this doesnt happen all the time and seems random. I notice in mabar that the ai of the fvs shoulder thing sometimes constantly shoots up at the lever area. Maybe gargoyles are agroing something they cant get to causing pathing problems. Maybe the geography of CiTW causes the archers to agro someone down below they also cant reach.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

You know they closed Baudry because the kobold AI was causing lag when they went after the crate. Want to bet they used similar AI for gargoyles going after alters and didn't update it? (Heck the guy who originally made it may not be around anymore so no one there even knows if they use the same AI)

Community Member

I think its just basic too many 21-25 and 26-30 running it. The +5 tomes have just lured too many high level characters into spectral dragon instances.

My personal experience has been 4 of 4 successful runs on the 26-30 with no failures and I recieved my +5 tome. Some lag spikes, a bit of chop at times but never too bad.

But others in my guild have had an awful time, some with no successful run yet after many tries.

Could it be as simple as too many in the instance causes the lag?

If so that is an easy fix, once 24 or whatever cap seems appropriate enter the instance locks?

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    You know they closed Baudry because the kobold AI was causing lag when they went after the crate. Want to bet they used similar AI for gargoyles going after alters and didn't update it? (Heck the guy who originally made it may not be around anymore so no one there even knows if they use the same AI)
    Actually, this sounds just about incredibly likely. Heck, those crate happy kobolds were the first admission of ddo based lag I can remember Turbine making.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

After 5 of 5 successful runs, on my 6th it was a complete lag fail on an instance where we barely had enough players. So I think the theory proposed above about too many players in an instance causing the lag problem is not consistant with my experience tonight.

And it was not just a little lag it was complete lag, unable to move...fail. Lvl 16-20; approx 18 players in the instance. levers were not an issue as the lever pullers were lagged right from the start.

would be nice if we could test where noone did anything after turning on altars... see what happens...
    Inagaki
    Argo
    CoP

Lightbulb I've found some posible source for MABAR LAG

When someone casts invisivility on altar, it may causes AI related lag.

On U19, We got Stealth System Updates.
    https://www.ddo.com/en/update-19-sha...notes-official

It was intended to remove AI lag related with invisibility. But, it seems this problem isn't solved.

I think altar with invisi causes too many requests for server to track the location of altar for mobs.

For some reason(I think invisivility is the reasion), AI for gargoyles causes recursive looping requests to server.

When I had lag, received packet show me 10000~20000+ bps. It was just 700~1000 bps on normal state.

Too many information to show, so, it had lag.

Sorry for my poor English

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    Yes, definitely. 90sec+ lag in my room full of rogues, rangers, monks, and 1 cleric casting BB (no arcane at all) and lever pulled twice, when the dragon was in the room would have no other explanation. :/