Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HernandoCortez View Post
    Well if your statements are correct then theres no point spending money on a dying game, right?
    What they should clearly do is reassure their players that its not happening. Instead they do exactly the opposite.
    I gave up trying to understand how this game is managed long ago. I can only assume that there's some rationale for what they are doing, but I'll never figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I gave up trying to understand how this game is managed long ago. I can only assume that there's some rationale for what they are doing, but I'll never figure it out.
    We can only hope that when the new endgame arrives at 30, this long, bumpy road that started w u13 was worth it and they take time to paint and polish what they've built

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    We can only hope that when the new endgame arrives at 30, this long, bumpy road that started w u13 was worth it and they take time to paint and polish what they've built
    I'm not counting on that...
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

If theres something more hilarious than bulldozing entire pixelated landfills into paved streets with ghostbane weapons, we will likely see it then.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

My 2 cents -

All the problems listed exist not so much that they don't care, it's that they've got a small dev staff and just don't have the manpower to clean up everything in a timely manner.

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    What should have just been a change to game mechanics, with this timing, comes off entirely as Turbine knowingly, willfully, and with finality, jumping the shark.

It gives the impression that Turbine knows just how bad the bugs are, how bad all the issues in the game have gotten, how discontented we are, and how badly we feel we've been betrayed by Turbine in recent months.

That Turbine is fully cognizant of all this, and instead wants to milk out as much money as possible from a dying game.
    This. I feel the same. It feels like they gave up, and decided to milk the existing playerbase as far as they can with as little investment as possible, and letting the game die. Not to cry doom, just trying to read through the lines of what they are doing and saying.

edit: As always, I'm talking about management, not developers themselves.
    Last edited by Avenging_Angel; 10-28-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    You're doing it wrong.
    Exactly. Need to be wearing your blinkers with rose-colored lenses whilst playing.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

I have just posted this answer on another thread:

I had that weird feeling too. And decided to Google about DDO, WB and its producers. Then I've found this:

"I Had an Exclusive 20 Minutes with Producer Glin, And I Remember Some of it. Vaguely."

"On DDO II
    I am not certain I ever directly asked Glin about the possibility of a DDO II. I do know we talked about upgrading the existing DDO engine – very expensive, all of the art is inextricably bound to the existing engine and would require redo."

"On Menace of the Underdark
    A big success from the player’s point of view, I asked if Turbine and WB viewed the expansion pack the same way. “It depends”, he responded, “if you look at it as money spent versus income this year, no”. But that is not the only way to look at it: “if you consider how long it will be bringing in income, amortizing the expense for two or three years makes it a huge success”"

This is from GamersGeoff.com: http://www.gamergeoff.com/i-had-an-e...of-it-vaguely/

Just read this part again and see if you can relate it to what the OP just said:

"A big success from the player’s point of view, I asked if Turbine and WB viewed the expansion pack the same way. “It depends”, he responded, “if you look at it as money spent versus income this year, no”. But that is not the only way to look at it: “if you consider how long it will be bringing in income, amortizing the expense for two or three years makes it a huge success”"
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    They SHOULD have put a plan in place to buff all the old end game stuff up into level 25, and then 28 and eventually 30.
    Turbine should do this as soon as possible. Pretty much fixes the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliphant View Post
    Turbine should do this as soon as possible. Pretty much fixes the game.
    Other than bug fixes, it'd probably be the biggest single thing they could do to reduce player complaints.. :P

Of course, during the UD14 beta, there was an extremely long (and eventually drama-filled) thread where we responded quite negatively to a certain dev saying old content was going to be ignored in the future.
    This eventually led to said dev making a formal apology and making an official statement to the contrary (that is to say, making a statement officially declaring old epic/raid loot would be given attention as soon as UD14-related content was finished being released (which we took to mean UD16 or so)).

At this point, though, that seems as if it was just fluff to cool down the then-heavily-agitated player response, as we certainly haven't seen any follow-ups on that, or on any of the following declarations to the same.

Here's a 3 step way to make sure your MMO loot setup is fun:

1: If you have to work for it, it should be worth the effort

2: Named loot should attempt to be unique and stimulating, in a manner which keeps it relevant for an extend duration [be it via utility, potency, or other factors (eg, rare item type, attack/damage type, unique effect)].
    Easiest way to update many of DDO's old items to this point is to retain unique typings:
    Eg, Dream Visors were heavily farmed when they were one of only about 4 attack items (making even Korthos Goggles somewhat relevant end-game in days past), and the only damage item; With Accuracy and Deadly coming in, and up to +10(!), Dream Visor's +5 is utterly useless; Even updating it to x2 the effect would make it worthless for its level. Rather, switching it to insight bonus so it stacks would have meaning.

3: If you change the loot system at any point, make sure old named loot is still relevant [excepting in dynamic-world MMOs were old content is freely replaced by new content in such circumstances].

For bonus effect:
    Listening to players, keeping promises, showing interest in the game as a whole, keeping the game stable, doing marketing that makes actual sense or has actual effect (not to mention actually keeping marketing promotions WORKING (see Friend Referrals)), etc.

The biggest issue with Turbine has always been not matters of poor performance or communication, but that such matters are so plentiful across different topics, and persistent- especially of late, on the first [and the second still in regards to everything except Lama responses (Props where due)].

(For extra bonus points, stop putting in tons of various different crafting systems and leaving them half-done, especially character-integral ones like Cannith Crafting. On that note, when will Cannith Crafting XP be shared across all toons on an account? Because the current system is a joke of inconvenience.)
    Last edited by Dagolar; 10-29-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Default Since OP mentioned hope,

I hope they come out with some raids soon! :X
    Born to play, Forced to work !

I'm not suggesting that players have no basis for their various grievances, but if you were a developer working on this game and you spent any time reading all the hostility that is generated in these forums, wouldn't you just say eff 'em to the players?

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    I'm not suggesting that players have no basis for their various grievances, but if you were a developer working on this game and you spent any time reading all the hostility that is generated in these forums, wouldn't you just say eff 'em to the players?
    I ask myself that question all the time. I mean, when a Dev or even a Mod responds, it's like adding blood to the water around here, and I often ask, if I was a Turbine employee would I want to post on these forums?

Often times, the answer is no, and it's because the forums can really bring out the worst in people, not to mention that anything you say here, will not only be held against you, if you don't phrase it exactly right, it will be twisted into some monstrosity that you never even remotely meant to start with, heck, even if you do phrase it right, it will still be twisted.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    OP this has always been the way Turbine functioned.
    i certainly don't trust Turbine to fix much or "right the ship", so to speak. I played Asheron's Call 2. when they announced the xpac for it, we were excited, even though the game suffered from low server pops and no end game. most all of my guildies spent the $40 for the xpac only to be deceived by Turbine when they finally admitted that the xpac was a money snatching ploy to try and keep the game alive. within three months of that xpac being launched, they announced the game was getting killed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123