Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1
    Community Member TekkenDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    969

    Default Let Sleeping Dust Lie: The Most Arbitrary Form of Difficulty

    EDIT:
    Wrong Sub-Forum, yay.

    I don't want to rant too much about this (I think) horrible quest, but I just have to say:
    Can't kill spiders? Really?
    Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllly!?

    It's an OBJECTIVE of ours in the wilderness to slay thousands of Lammanians. Crimson Foot spiders are Lammanians. You slay these same NPC's in the wilderness. WHY can't we kill them? The quest dialogues and journals don't even cite a connection to the sleeping Lord of Dust inside and the Spiders. The game literally tells you "Can't slay these spiders because they keep the Ecosystem balanced."

    Well, OKAY. Should have told me that BEFORE completing 4 Slayer objectives maybe? Didn't THAT mess a couple things up?

    And the freaking Orcs move around constantly, you can't wear the Retributive/Guard gears that drop constantly in the current meta, THF toons can't THF in here, and there's even explosive freaking barrels littering the quest. I mean there's difficulty, then there's just being plain annoying to the player.

    tl;dr
    I was soloing this on Elite and then I hit an explosive barrel 30 minutes in.
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 10-25-2013 at 09:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Community Member Satyriasys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Hello, the new player forum can be found here.
    Join Date: Nov 2009

  3. #3
    2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,807

    Default

    tips

    fight away from exploding barrels

    can kill spiders before reading the journal. you just wont get an extra chest. most times players clear hallways first since extra chest is just junk.

    use a paralyzer if THF and move around. its a great quest if you think in a combat movement frame of mind. standing there trading blows and letting your glancing blows proc isn't good.

    i like the quest because you have to be careful how you fight, but that depends on how the group approaches the quest. easy way than it doesn't matter. the way it was intended and tactics are fun. not sure how you are trying to connect a wilderness slayer area to quests. there are no Orcs in Dust. i think you mean ogres and they do that all the way from the beginning levels on up. its best to know there fight style so you can fight them easier.
    Gary Gygax quotes

    The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

    There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

    Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

    When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

  4. #4
    Community Member toaftoaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    628

    Default

    just read the 2nd journal before reading the 1st

  5. #5
    Community Member TekkenDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    969

    Default

    I was doing just fine. I accidentally killed 2 spiders because I left a Nightmare Guard trinket on without realizing. Then 30 minutes in I moved around to position better and the end-part of my last swing hit an explosive barrel I didn't see before.

    The quest is dumb, if you're going to make a mechanic like this at least give me lore on why it's important. You can't tell me in the journals that it's "bad for the Vale's ecosystem" when killing them is actually an objective in the Vale Wilderness......

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    EDIT:
    Wrong Sub-Forum, yay.

    I don't want to rant too much about this (I think) horrible quest, but I just have to say:
    Can't kill spiders? Really?
    Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllly!?

    It's an OBJECTIVE of ours in the wilderness to slay thousands of Lammanians. Crimson Foot spiders are Lammanians. You slay these same NPC's in the wilderness. WHY can't we kill them? The quest dialogues and journals don't even cite a connection to the sleeping Lord of Dust inside and the Spiders. The game literally tells you "Can't slay these spiders because they keep the Ecosystem balanced."

    Well, OKAY. Should have told me that BEFORE completing 4 Slayer objectives maybe? Didn't THAT mess a couple things up?

    And the freaking Orcs move around constantly, you can't wear the Retributive/Guard gears that drop constantly in the current meta, THF toons can't THF in here, and there's even explosive freaking barrels littering the quest. I mean there's difficulty, then there's just being plain annoying to the player.

    tl;dr
    I was soloing this on Elite and then I hit an explosive barrel 30 minutes in.
    I agree. Lore wise, this quest is nonsense. However, 2008 called and wants its thread back.

  7. #7
    Community Member Certon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westminster, California
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Those spiders are completely immune to acid. Use that to your advantage.

  8. #8
    Community Member Miow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    I was doing just fine. I accidentally killed 2 spiders because I left a Nightmare Guard trinket on without realizing. Then 30 minutes in I moved around to position better and the end-part of my last swing hit an explosive barrel I didn't see before.

    The quest is dumb, if you're going to make a mechanic like this at least give me lore on why it's important. You can't tell me in the journals that it's "bad for the Vale's ecosystem" when killing them is actually an objective in the Vale Wilderness......
    No it is not dumb, great quest like most of the vale stuff.

  9. #9
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    Let Sleeping Dust Lie: The Most Arbitrary Form of Difficulty
    um, no.

    http://ddowiki.com/page/Hold_for_Reinforcements

  10. #10
    Hatchery Hero BOgre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middlonowhere, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    Like all DDO's quests that have interesting design mechanics, Sleeping Dust is loved by few and hated by many. Fortunately for the haters, there are a couple ways to bypass the design. For those of us that love it, it will remain one of the few go-to quests for a real good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

  11. #11
    The Hatchery Enoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    This quest can be frustrating to those that just want a "Hack-n-Slash" quest. This is not a "Chainsaw" quest, it is best done with a "Scalpel".

    As someone already pointed out (which cannot be known by first timers with out prior knowledge) - Simply don't pick up the Journals until after you clear all the lower hallways. The don't kill 5 Spiders Fail Objective only starts counting when you pick up the Journal.

    Next as someone else pointed out, spiders are immune to Acid. Again use that to your advantage
    They also have low will saves, again something that can be used to your advantage

    I agree, that not every quest is going to be loved by every player, and this is one of those quests which generally don't have a Middle ground group; It is a Love/Hate type quest. Personally I'm glad that these types of quests liter the selection as for me it is a good get out of rut quest.

    FYI: It can also make a great Naked Run

  12. #12
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    21,811

    Default

    I love quests that arent 100% run forward hack and slash. We can see how hack and slash this game has gotten by how much complaining is done about other quests that are not merely run forward and kill everything until you win style quests.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  13. #13
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    This quest can be frustrating to those that just want a "Hack-n-Slash" quest. This is not a "Chainsaw" quest, it is best done with a "Scalpel".

    As someone already pointed out (which cannot be known by first timers with out prior knowledge) - Simply don't pick up the Journals until after you clear all the lower hallways. The don't kill 5 Spiders Fail Objective only starts counting when you pick up the Journal.

    Next as someone else pointed out, spiders are immune to Acid. Again use that to your advantage
    They also have low will saves, again something that can be used to your advantage

    I agree, that not every quest is going to be loved by every player, and this is one of those quests which generally don't have a Middle ground group; It is a Love/Hate type quest. Personally I'm glad that these types of quests liter the selection as for me it is a good get out of rut quest.

    FYI: It can also make a great Naked Run
    They are also Magical Beasts, and not vermin.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Some where in the swamps of Jersey
    Posts
    37

    Default

    These types of quest belong in the game. Everyone wants easy straight forward quest for easy xp that's not what the game is about. That's just my 2 cents.

  15. #15
    Community Member sephiroth1084's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    12,813

    Default

    You're going to hate it when you get past the second journal and have to protect the Queen from swarms of ogres, including some archers on a difficult to reach perch.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

  16. #16
    2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acdccod View Post
    These types of quest belong in the game. Everyone wants easy straight forward quest for easy xp that's not what the game is about. That's just my 2 cents.
    yes. quest variety and adjusting strategy to something that is not the norm hack and slash is fun sometimes. different can be good.
    Gary Gygax quotes

    The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

    There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

    Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

    When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

    The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    yes. quest variety and adjusting strategy to something that is not the norm hack and slash is fun sometimes. different can be good.
    I agree it's fun. I also agree this particular quest makes no sense. The spiders you are penalized for killing are in fact a slayer reward in the vale. It isn't explained why or for what purpose you need to perserve them. And they are all the same type of spider, heck, one of the rare spawns you are supposed to kill is a swarm of them at the other entrance to the crimson foot tribe.

    From a plot perspective, this quest is not explained and doesn't mesh with the area.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    503

    Default

    I would say that soling this is indeed very annoying. Not only you need to watch out for spiders, but you need to run around trying to find the 2 red names. And there is a lot of ground to cover. I only soloed this once ever, on N. Took me awhile and I finished with one spider left / 5 allowed killed.

    There is another trick, you can (if you have wings, abundant or air savant), jump (before you start searching for lower J), to the area of the up shrine and see if the up J is there (one of the J spawn points). If not, just recall and start again.
    Last edited by SSFWEl; 11-14-2013 at 03:11 AM.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    The swim part in the beginning is difficult. I've never gotten past that part yet, but I will keep trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    This is the official forum. Wear a thick skin and abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

  20. #20
    Community Member Antheal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakHar View Post
    I agree it's fun. I also agree this particular quest makes no sense. The spiders you are penalized for killing are in fact a slayer reward in the vale. It isn't explained why or for what purpose you need to perserve them. And they are all the same type of spider, heck, one of the rare spawns you are supposed to kill is a swarm of them at the other entrance to the crimson foot tribe.

    From a plot perspective, this quest is not explained and doesn't mesh with the area.
    It's like the Drow in the Red Fens compared to pretty much every other type of non-Player Drow character. At least you can't accidentally kill those ones.
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload